Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Important Decisions

Ashley

I am sat here with a bottle of wine, scraps of paper with notes, maths, times etc scribbled on them trying to decide what I should do with my life.

I handed my notice in today. Within half an hour I got a phone call asking if I could stay. They offered to meet me half way to ensure I stay as they don't want to lose me, and I don't know what the hell to do.

So how do you make important decisions? Leave it to fate, the 'gods' (ie flip of a coin) or what? And examples and stuff.

Either way I said I'd decide tonight and let them know tomorrow. So my pros and cons list is done, I know how much money I do have and will have if I stay, what hours I could work etc. I've asked people. I am going to ring the assistant manager and ask him as a friend, ring other people I know within the company and then go out and get drunk.

In your situation, I would consider why you left in the first place and then think "would the money really change that?" Bare in mind that they obviously want you so you are sort after.

There are very rarely any decisions that are totally even sided.

I see two possible options:

1) You want to leave, so leave and go and do whatever you were planning on doing anyway.

2) Stay but make sure you get a pay rise and hours which you want to work and make sure it's in your contract that you don't have to work any hours which aren't set out in your contract for any reason.

Easy I follow one guy who I think we all could learn from.

What would GOB do? Is my philosphy. I think you can appreciate that advice.

On a more serious note think what michael bluth would do if he wasnt such a workaholic and do that.

Easy I follow one guy who I think we all could learn from.

What would GOB do? Is my philosphy. I think you can appreciate that advice.

On a more serious note think what michael bluth would do if he wasnt such a workaholic and do that.

But I am Michael Bluth. "And the one man who had no choice but to keep them all together." Thats me. I keep my family together even though I dislike most of them. And I'm a workaholic.

Whenever I make an important decision, I look at why I shouldn't go for it.

Look at that, why should you not take the job. They're offering you something, now you need a reason not to take it. :)

That's good advice Fierce.

Try to look at why you shouldnt leave. If they want you to stay they have a good reason to want you. Do you have a good reason for leaving?

If so what is it?

Is it a good enough reason for you to leave?

If so, leave. Simple.

Well the main pros and cons lists goes as such;

Pros - Discount, money, power and respect, looks good on cv (as keyholder-turned-assistant manager-turned keyholder) it kinda overwrites that whole 'caution for theft' thing

Cons - Less free time, stress (its stupid but I do worry about work outside work, maybe I should try chinese herbal medicines or something), train fare, uni work may suffer (I have been offered no more than 20 if I wish, so that would give me two whole days off and two afternoons off so it shouldn't be so bad now).

I think I am going to stay but on a few conditions; we put the next guy up for the 'management entry level programme' (the poor fucker, its a mare) just in case, no more than 20, rota is based around me (last two they agreed to anyway), and the first six weeks say is a trial basis. If by easter it ain't working I leave.

Im going to give that a think and ring them in a bit.

Well you can eliminate one of the pros there -- the CV bit; that applies whether you stay or go, and surely is only most relevant when you do actually leave.

I would say your university life is far more important. Of course I have no idea how much money you tend to spend, and most certainly going from a crapload of hours a week to no job at all will be a drastic change in spendable dosh...

I suppose only 20 hours a week is probably a good half-way point, but at some point you will have to leave, won't you?

Well you can eliminate one of the pros there -- the CV bit; that applies whether you stay or go, and surely is only most relevant when you do actually leave.

I would say your university life is far more important. Of course I have no idea how much money you tend to spend, and most certainly going from a crapload of hours a week to no job at all will be a drastic change in spendable dosh...

I suppose only 20 hours a week is probably a good half-way point, but at some point you will have to leave, won't you?

Yeah I said there is no way Im staying past summer. Third year being the most important and all that.

The change in money would be the biggest shock. As I figured out I have £250ish per month to spend on what I want. And im going to make my friends make me indulge myself regularly otherwise it just wouldn't be worth it.

Oh and im going to tell them I am having random weekends off because I have promised a lot of people I will go see them.

Go with your hart make the disition even if it is the hardest way slam the door tight and never look back your hart will not fail you. in life the easy way always ends up in failure. so work hard and prosper!

i am a workaholic to and i never can sit still without doing something productive.

every step forward cant be taken away from you and you always learn from it. take the leap ill say. don't worry to mush no body ever died of hard work. as long you keep your life in balance.

But I am Michael Bluth. "And the one man who had no choice but to keep them all together." Thats me. I keep my family together even though I dislike most of them. And I'm a workaholic.

Damn I wish I was your brother.

Id go away spend all my money. And then be guess what Ashley Im back, I was wondering if I could get my old job back. Id want a title and an office and my paycheck, and a company car you do have to match Sitwell on that remember Im an ideas man remember I came up with F%£^ Mountian!

Oh god Ashley please come to London for a drink I want to barrage you with AD quotes. That sounds like fun doesnt it! :D

Damn I wish I was your brother.

Id go away spend all my money. And then be guess what Ashley Im back, I was wondering if I could get my old job back. Id want a title and an office and my paycheck, and a company car you do have to match Sitwell on that remember Im an ideas man remember I came up with F%£^ Mountian!

Oh god Ashley please come to London for a drink I want to barrage you with AD quotes. That sounds like fun doesnt it! :D

Haha it does. After work phoned me today (as I kept putting it off until they rang me) I said "I've made a huge mistake" :D

Well unfortunatly I don't own any company business but it is only my dad who doesn't owe me money in the family as all he buys is petrol and beer.

Dick is like Gob though, the useless elder brother who will always rely upon someone else to live.

Haha it does. After work phoned me today (as I kept putting it off until they rang me) I said "I've made a huge mistake" :D

Well unfortunatly I don't own any company business but it is only my dad who doesn't owe me money in the family as all he buys is petrol and beer.

Dick is like Gob though, the useless elder brother who will always rely upon someone else to live.

lolz well if you and prefreably tom (who never posts now) are ever in london let me know we can have an AD drink it will be amazing.

lolz well if you and prefreably tom (who never posts now) are ever in london let me know we can have an AD drink it will be amazing.

I may go down to london during the summer to see my housemate (who obviously will be there...) so will do. I do speak to Tom every once in a while (a 'check out this show' kinda thing) through PMs. Maybe you should try?

Anyway umm yeah decisions. Surely someone else has had to make an important decision. Share with the group.

I can't though. While the management within the store want me the regional manager is a wanker, and if he knew he'd only say "he's not worth it get rid of him" (although I blatantly am worth it). So thus I can't go changing contracts.

I will have a verbal contract on when I can work and they said I can work more if I chose. And obviously in times of holidays and big releases things will be a bit different but most of the time, just twenty hours.

Could be worse, could have signed that contract they sent me a while back saying I agree to be able to work over 48 hours a week. (Which I did over xmas anyway...)

i seem to have been mentioned alot in this thread!

I think staying on your terms is the right thing to do. I know how hard it is to work and study - i got the balance wrong and dropped out (although I think living in a house full of random addicts taking all sorts of things didn't help...). 20 hours seem reasonable assuming home si stable and you can use your remaining time to study.

If you did leave, do you really see youself studying 20 hours a week more, or just sleeping a few hours more and being a bit more relaxed??

If you did leave, do you really see youself studying 20 hours a week more, or just sleeping a few hours more and being a bit more relaxed??

Sleeping me and being a lot more relaxed.

Aye 20 hours a week sounds good. Especially seeing as from the sound of it you're their bitch. :heh:

Im not their bitch. I am their saviour.

lol; What Would Scooby Doo?