Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Dogs

Kirkatronics

I don't like them because they are aggressive and, at times, violent. If they weren't, I would be indifferent.

I don't like poodles because I feel the look stupid. I'm not accusing them of being aggressive or violent, am I?

Yes, people have instincts. One of the few we don't ignore is the one which makes us defend those we care about, irrationally if needed.

I was talking about dogs and instincts, anyway.

Give it up, you're just making yourself look stupid.

Staffordshire Bull Terriers are the most loyal, loving dogs you could ever hope to meet.

And please, don't use the 'you own one you're biased line', I've owned three of them, and I will own more, not because I'm biased, but because they're great dogs, full of character, affection and faithfulness. All it takes is one dick head to bring one up wrong and get it in the news for hurting someone and you get people like you condemning the whole breed.

Seriously, if you don't know what you're talking about, and you clearly don't, then it's best to keep your mouth shut.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like dogs, though I've never owned one as my mum is dead against them. Perhaps I'll get one when I'm older.

In response to the whole instincts argument, I think some breeds have a greater capacity for violence etc. than other breeds, but this doesn't mean that you can't bring up a supposedly "violent" breed to act friendly.

As for poodles, those tiny ones are annoying, but I have a friend who keeps some really awesome massive ones that sort of defy their own poodleness - they also have a non-pampered coat.

As for poodles, those tiny ones are annoying, but I have a friend who keeps some really awesome massive ones that sort of defy their own poodleness - they also have a non-pampered coat.

I like those ones fine, but it has to be said, those tiny ones with an oddly trimmed coat need shooting, as do their owners. :wink:

I had a Shetland Sheepdog called Cassie, but he died from liver cancer : /

He was lovely!!!!

Awww, I love shelties. They're like mini lassies.

Yeah, the little toy poodles that have been pruned to look like a topiary bush on legs are irritating (although it's not really their fault and more the people who own them). However standard poodles can be pretty awesome, if a little neurotic.

Let's put it this way (I'm no dog expert, mind you): Some dog races are aggressive per instinct, so if they're left to care for themselves in nature, they will naturally adopt a violent behaviour. Some dogs races are friendly towards humans per instinct, so if they're left to care for themselves in nature, they will naturally adopt a more human-friendly behaviour.

But these are only instincts in the dog races' genes. What behaviour they actually end up with depends more on their upbringing. If they've grown up in the wild with small access to food, they will become more wild. If they've been brought up in peaceful and safe environments with plenty of food and love, they will become very human-friendly.

It's not to say that genes don't matter, 'cause they do. But with the right upbringing and the will to put effort into "shaping" your dog's personality, even an aggressive-per-instinct dog can be the friendliest dog in the household.

About my own affection for dogs, I do like them. I do NOT like the aggressive ones, as I was once bitten in (you'd think it was a joke) my butt by a dog that I had in no way provoked. I just walked by and didn't even see it before it came running towards me.

But in general, I do like dogs. I'm more of a cat person (we've got 5 cats), but if we ever decided to get a dog, it would probably be a Golden Retriever.

Give it up, you're just making yourself look stupid.

Staffordshire Bull Terriers are the most loyal, loving dogs you could ever hope to meet.

And please, don't use the 'you own one you're biased line', I've owned three of them, and I will own more, not because I'm biased, but because they're great dogs, full of character, affection and faithfulness. All it takes is one dick head to bring one up wrong and get it in the news for hurting someone and you get people like you condemning the whole breed.

Seriously, if you don't know what you're talking about, and you clearly don't, then it's best to keep your mouth shut.

The dog next door is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. It's the softest dog I know.

Let's put it this way (I'm no dog expert, mind you): Some dog races are aggressive per instinct, so if they're left to care for themselves in nature, they will naturally adopt a violent behaviour. Some dogs races are friendly towards humans per instinct, so if they're left to care for themselves in nature, they will naturally adopt a more human-friendly behaviour.

Dogs are domesticated, there is no "nature". However, golden retrievers are indeed awesome.

Yeah, the little toy poodles that have been pruned to look like a topiary bush on legs are irritating (although it's not really their fault and more the people who own them).
I like those ones fine, but it has to be said, those tiny ones with an oddly trimmed coat need shooting, as do their owners. :wink:

GunPoodle.GIF

What he's saying is that you don't (really) get wild dogs, at least not in these parts of the world.

Oh, that's he meant. Sorry for that little misunderstanding. :)

I'm aware that there aren't many wild dogs in these parts of the world. It was only hypothetical in the sense that if dogs weren't influenced by humans, they would move more in the direction of their genetical nature. Of course, even the environments in the wild would vary and shape dogs differently, but there's a greater chance they would adopt a behaviour in line with their genes.

At least, that's my theory. As I said, I'm no dog expert, so I might be wrong.

these are pics of my babies

legends they are

lady is the spaniel

max is the collie

(lady is totally obsessed with / nando / she knwos the sounds of his car and starts barking when he drives past my house :P)

lady2.jpg

Buttons, your Springer looks eerily similar to mine, called Tara, in that picture, just with slightly longer hair...

taraeu1.jpg

(Not the best picture but they do look very similar!)

I also have a smaller Springer called Jazz...

jazzck4.jpg

jazz2hm3.jpg

Oh, that's he meant. Sorry for that little misunderstanding. :)

I'm aware that there aren't many wild dogs in these parts of the world. It was only hypothetical in the sense that if dogs weren't influenced by humans, they would move more in the direction of their genetical nature. Of course, even the environments in the wild would vary and shape dogs differently, but there's a greater chance they would adopt a behaviour in line with their genes.

At least, that's my theory. As I said, I'm no dog expert, so I might be wrong.

Well wild dogs are a different thing altogether - your bog standard dog is by definition a sort of domesticated wolf. So yes, I suppose the key variables here are degree and form of domestication - those dogs that have been bred simply to hunt foxes are likely to have a greater tendency for violence, whereas those bred to be lapdogs (like this discarded wig) are less likely to go for the jugular. However, I'm not even sure if many dogs would cope in the wild...

Well wild dogs are a different thing altogether - your bog standard dog is by definition a sort of domesticated wolf. So yes, I suppose the key variables here are degree and form of domestication - those dogs that have been bred simply to hunt foxes are likely to have a greater tendency for violence, whereas those bred to be lapdogs (like this discarded wig) are less likely to go for the jugular. However, I'm not even sure if many dogs would cope in the wild...

:laughing: at the picture!

And you're probably right about the last part.

i have 2 jack russell terriers ~ one's thin and spindly (pippa) and one is short and fat with a big black round patch in the center of his back (imaginatively named spot) ^__^

spot is about 15 now.. and he's gone a bit mental... a while ago he snapped and went really violent towards me, but now he seems to have gone a bit MORE mental and forgotten who i am - meaning now i can pet him calmly... :nono: crazy dawg.

I used to have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. She died 2 years ago.

You did not want to know me, or talk to me, the day she died... :weep:

Staffordshire Bull Terrier's are the greatest breed of dog EVAR!. *Kicks The fish in The face.*

AGH! This thread is only making my longing for a new dog much worse!

I don't like them because they are aggressive and, at times, violent. If they weren't, I would be indifferent.

I don't like poodles because I feel the look stupid. I'm not accusing them of being aggressive or violent, am I?

Yes, people have instincts. One of the few we don't ignore is the one which makes us defend those we care about, irrationally if needed.

I was talking about dogs and instincts, anyway.

Most staffies are lovely dogs, I almost got one but my mum eventually refused to (from the RSPCA) because she has been sucked in by the mass media saying how evil these dogs are.

Any breed of dog can be aggressive, any breed of dog when bought up to be like a weapon (like many people do with these sorts of dogs) will be aggressive. Whne one attack gets reported the media suddenly blows it up into this massive thing about banning these dogs. It's crap, and anyway that recent story with the baby and the staffie, the adult should not have allowed a dog anywhere near a baby anyway. I mean, everyone knows that, right?

Most staffies are lovely dogs, I almost got one but my mum eventually refused to (from the RSPCA) because she has been sucked in by the mass media saying how evil these dogs are.

What the media say regarding teh Staffs epitomises just what a bunch of wankers they are... :nono:

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!