Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The General Public

Ashley

Lol fish, that was so basic, I love it. This is actually quite a brilliant thread, I'd contribute some of my own but I don't think they really match up. I'll have to think about some of the shit public I had to deal with when I, too, was a lowly GAME employee, but I think I've repressed most of it. I'm glad I got out of it when I did, retail is shit, I don't think I'd ever go back if I could avoid it. Woooo for working with crazy people!

I do remember one time a guy came to buy a game at like 8 on a weeknight(shop closed at 9) so one of the tils was off. He didn't have the money though so he asked us to hold it for him while he went to get some. I should point out there's a cash machine like 2 minutes away from the shop, but he never came back so we assumed he was a timewaster. As it approaches 9, the shutter is put half down, and we wait for people in the shop to leave then take off the remaining tills. Just as the last person leaves, and the shutters coming down, till's taken off, he comes back, and we stop the shutter with like a foot to go. He thinks we're sposed to still sell him the game, and the manager spends like 15 minutes explaining we're closed, and the tills are off, all the while he just keeps saying we can sell it to him under the shutter. Strange fellow.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having been out of work for over a year, I've pretty much forgotten any specific horrors (and believe me, tehre were many).

One thing - Ashley and others may remember this from Woolies, I think Game et al are similar anyway - is when you have discs in cardboard cases in drawers, and you gotta find the right one and put them in the empty cases and whatnot. Well What happened ALL THE TIME was the customer would bring 20 DVDs and 15 CDs and wait for me to put all teh discs into their respected cases until they told me they brought the wrong case and actually wanted teh two-disc version, or the single not the album, or the album not the single, or the sequel, or the prequel, or an entirely different fucking thing altogether - and the bitching thing is that we had a lot of 'newer' stuff already in their cases in teh drawers, so I (because I was an eternal noob and could not keep up with what was still in the drawers and what was not) had to go through the drawers again to check see if we had what they wanted... Then I'd tell them that I was afraid they'd need to go and find the correct case, and they would stand there and refuse so I'd have to either go get them myself, get someone else to get them or get a manager over to sort it.

Long explanation for a basic recurring annoyance. Other things just include customers asking me to get the massive ladder out to get the heavy items off of the top shelf, only to decide they want the one next to that once I've gotten it down, or customers who think I know how much everything in teh store is off the top of my head, or customers who "sneakily" try and steal stuff when i'm on teh doors. Usual stuff I guess. No specific tales!

I hate customers that ask one word questions. You know, the ones who walk up to you and say 'Pate' or 'Cheese'. WTF am i supposed to do with that?

The number of idiots that buy smoked wish thinking it isnt is unreal too. The massive banner that says "Smoked Fish", the fact that it's yellow and the product name stating Smoked just doesn't seem to be enough...

I've got a bit of a complaint about some rather important looking who worked in PC World. They have these gaming chairs set up and look like they're out on demo. In one part they have a TV explaining what it is and one out for you to sit one while you watch and then next to that they have a 360 hooked up to a HDTV which then looks like its hooked up to the gaming chair. I sat down to give it a go and the chair didn't actually do anything. So I stood up and looked around for someone and asked him if it was on. He just asked me if I "basically wanted to play a game" so I told him I wanted to see what the quality of the chair was like and he said "it's not set up at the moment but if you really want I can get someone to set it up for you. He walked off without saying anything else, I waited around for a few minutes and no one came. Great selling by PC World there.

I hate customers that ask one word questions. You know, the ones who walk up to you and say 'Pate' or 'Cheese'. WTF am i supposed to do with that?

OMG I HATE THAT.

*Random Guy*

Westlife

*Me* (sarcastic)

There great aren't they.

That makes them use there lazy jaw to actually ask for the CD.

LOL i LOVE being awkward.

________

Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud

Edited by fex

Was talking to my mate about this thread earlier, and he told me this story:

His big brother was working in Gamestation and some teenage guy came over and was trying to buy an 18 rated game. Looked about 15/16, definately not 18. When he first told him he couldn't buy it, the guy obviously protested, but eventually gave in and left. He came back about half an hour later and tried again, but when he was refused, he did the cheesey holywood move of slipping my friends brother a tenner :heh: He called the manager and the guy got barred from the shop :bowdown:

Having been out of work for over a year, I've pretty much forgotten any specific horrors (and believe me, tehre were many).

One thing - Ashley and others may remember this from Woolies, I think Game et al are similar anyway - is when you have discs in cardboard cases in drawers, and you gotta find the right one and put them in the empty cases and whatnot. Well What happened ALL THE TIME was the customer would bring 20 DVDs and 15 CDs and wait for me to put all teh discs into their respected cases until they told me they brought the wrong case and actually wanted teh two-disc version, or the single not the album, or the album not the single, or the sequel, or the prequel, or an entirely different fucking thing altogether - and the bitching thing is that we had a lot of 'newer' stuff already in their cases in teh drawers, so I (because I was an eternal noob and could not keep up with what was still in the drawers and what was not) had to go through the drawers again to check see if we had what they wanted... Then I'd tell them that I was afraid they'd need to go and find the correct case, and they would stand there and refuse so I'd have to either go get them myself, get someone else to get them or get a manager over to sort it.

Long explanation for a basic recurring annoyance. Other things just include customers asking me to get the massive ladder out to get the heavy items off of the top shelf, only to decide they want the one next to that once I've gotten it down, or customers who think I know how much everything in teh store is off the top of my head, or customers who "sneakily" try and steal stuff when i'm on teh doors. Usual stuff I guess. No specific tales!

Speaking of woolies (although I didn't get much of that) I do often get asked where things are when im wearing my red shirt of awesomeness (ie XS) in there. Sometimes I answer because I know anyway but I mean do they really think employees are going to wonder round carrying drinks? (and if they were they would be on their break).

Oh which reminds me; Woolies at xmas. Whenever you were on a break you had to dash for the back area because otherwise you got asked about fifteen questions. Oh and to add to that. My first xmas I was a runner and entertainment was at the front and I would see people just come in, go to me and ask for something which would be right in front of them. Felt like saying "JUST TRY!"

And today we had lots of the famous; hmm doors are shut but they must be opened, lets bang the door to open it. No. Didn't work...lets try again. I mean seriously dude. Read the sign. Closed at 4. Apparently on boxing day they closed at 2 and then people were queueing up outside. Because yeah, we're going to open at 3pm or something?

Had the same thing happen today, people outside of the shop at 4pm, tossers

the ones that do Piss me off though are the ones that walk in the shop 10 minutes before closing, look around and don't buy a fucking thing how they piss me off, had about 5 of them this afternoon (I work at ELC) we were all peed off >>

Was talking to my mate about this thread earlier, and he told me this story:

His big brother was working in Gamestation and some teenage guy came over and was trying to buy an 18 rated game. Looked about 15/16, definately not 18. When he first told him he couldn't buy it, the guy obviously protested, but eventually gave in and left. He came back about half an hour later and tried again, but when he was refused, he did the cheesey holywood move of slipping my friends brother a tenner :heh: He called the manager and the guy got barred from the shop :bowdown:

i would have gave him a sly wink.

slyly placed the money in my pocket.

said "what are you wanting?" in a normal voice.

when he passed the game, i would have said.

"do you have ID?"

----

i deliver pizzas and stuff from my local pizza shop.

its amazing how many people thing i carry pizzas that i can just 'give away', and pizzas that i dont need to deliver.

people actually follow me shouting for free pizzas AFTER they've seen me hand it over..

fucking retards...

I do the hoovering for my shop when it closes, and you always get someone like Arnold said, comes in and looks around then doesn't buy anything. I hate it when I'm moving the like things carrying clothes (its too early to remember a name :() to get dust from underneath and they get all annoyed! I'm just carry on but it annoys me so much. COME TOMMORROW YOU MORON.

(/rant)

lol, 'cheese'. You should get out your phone, take a picture of them and then move on to the next customer.

Ok i have a few stories from "the other side of the fence", showing just how stupid some stores used to be.

When i was younger i lived with my sister in Nottingham, and her boyfriend and my nephew. We didnt have much money and i was always trying to make some, so being the unruly child i was, i exploited the shops natural idiocy.

I once bought 10 N64 games from game, for £1 each on the end of line sale. Took them round the corner and got between £10-15 on trade in... for each one :)

I once bought a game in HMV on sale at £10, took it to MVC and said it was the wrong one but didnt dare to tell my mum to get the reciept. Got £40 store credit which got me 2 games on sale, which went back to Asda at full price for store credit of £80.

Im assuming stores have wised up now and demand some sort if proof of purchase, i know game did when i had a legit game to take back, they asked for my bank statment.

Once my friend was working at this cafe/burger bar thing. She was on her lunch break and was round the back eating her lunch (naturally). So this woman walks round the back of the burger bar and demands to be served. So my friend said ok and served her. Then the woman went to my friend's boss and complained that my friend had been eating when she served her. Yeah that's normally what people do when they're on their lunch break.

I have to deal with too many idiots as a referee. One time a game was scrappy and there was a lot of pushing but it was both waysand wasn't major so I let it go. At half time one manager came up to me and remarked about the pushing so I told him that it was both ways and he was fine with it. Then the other manager does the same but won't accept that it was both ways. So a spectator that was stood nearby told him that it was both ways and that if I had blown for every one then the game would have never got going. So then the guy says, "It's not up to you to make comments about the referee." To which the guy replies, "Neither is it up to you." Then the manager kept saying "It's not up to you to make comments about the referee" until I told him to go away so I could start the second half. Then one of their players runs into an opponent to try and knock him off the ball but instead bounces off of him and falls straight to the floor. The manager then starts screaming that he was pushed, to which I replied, "If he's going to run into players that are twice his size then he's going to fall over." A few of the supporters clapped and showed their agreeance at this point. Then at a 50/50 ball one of their players came off worse and his dad starts screaming that I should blow for a foul because he's younger than the other players. And everytime I blew for offside the supporters insisted that the eleven year old had managed to run to the 18 yard box from his own half. It takes me less than two seconds to put the whistle to my mouth. Man he's fast.

Another time a referee starts abusing me to a point where I tell him to leave the pitch. After some insults he does so only to return a few minutes later to abuse me some more. Then when one of his players got fouled I blew the whistle and he comes running over and starts screaming how it should have been a card. So I tell him that it clearly wasn't and he starts insulting me some more. So I say that if he doesn't leave the pitch I'm going to end the game at the current score (his team were losing) so he leaves whilst swearing at me some more. Then after the match he comes up to me and starts saying that if I hadn't have shouted at him we could have avoided that conflict. So I reminded him that throughout the match he had constantly insulted me and swore at me. To which he replies, "That's just how I am and you should accept that." Biggest load of bollocks I've ever heard.

Try playing word association with them. "cheese" "crackers"

Once my friend was working at this cafe/burger bar thing. She was on her lunch break and was round the back eating her lunch (naturally). So this woman walks round the back of the burger bar and demands to be served. So my friend said ok and served her. Then the woman went to my friend's boss and complained that my friend had been eating when she served her. Yeah that's normally what people do when they're on their lunch break.

I have to deal with too many idiots as a referee. One time a game was scrappy and there was a lot of pushing but it was both waysand wasn't major so I let it go. At half time one manager came up to me and remarked about the pushing so I told him that it was both ways and he was fine with it. Then the other manager does the same but won't accept that it was both ways. So a spectator that was stood nearby told him that it was both ways and that if I had blown for every one then the game would have never got going. So then the guy says, "It's not up to you to make comments about the referee." To which the guy replies, "Neither is it up to you." Then the manager kept saying "It's not up to you to make comments about the referee" until I told him to go away so I could start the second half. Then one of their players runs into an opponent to try and knock him off the ball but instead bounces off of him and falls straight to the floor. The manager then starts screaming that he was pushed, to which I replied, "If he's going to run into players that are twice his size then he's going to fall over." A few of the supporters clapped and showed their agreeance at this point. Then at a 50/50 ball one of their players came off worse and his dad starts screaming that I should blow for a foul because he's younger than the other players. And everytime I blew for offside the supporters insisted that the eleven year old had managed to run to the 18 yard box from his own half. It takes me less than two seconds to put the whistle to my mouth. Man he's fast.

Another time a referee starts abusing me to a point where I tell him to leave the pitch. After some insults he does so only to return a few minutes later to abuse me some more. Then when one of his players got fouled I blew the whistle and he comes running over and starts screaming how it should have been a card. So I tell him that it clearly wasn't and he starts insulting me some more. So I say that if he doesn't leave the pitch I'm going to end the game at the current score (his team were losing) so he leaves whilst swearing at me some more. Then after the match he comes up to me and starts saying that if I hadn't have shouted at him we could have avoided that conflict. So I reminded him that throughout the match he had constantly insulted me and swore at me. To which he replies, "That's just how I am and you should accept that." Biggest load of bollocks I've ever heard.

Try playing word association with them. "cheese" "crackers"

Did you type that with your broken arms??

Or is that someone else :(

Refereeing sucks, I used to do it for youngers ones and they would go down so easily and the game would never even start. So annoying!

I'm not a referee, but as a player I can safely say I feel damn sorry for them. Sometimes they are plain shit, but they get so much abuse it's unreal.

It doesn't matter how good you are you will always get abused. I don't mean to blow my own trumpet but I'm quite a good referee. But people just like to moan if things don't go their way. I've seen excellent referees get critiscised.

Although as a player I did give some referees abuse. But only if they deserved it. And I don't mean being a bad referee. It's just that some of them were dick heads.

Yeah. I appreciate that its hard, especially since (don't know about you) there wasn't linesmen in the games we played. Its hard to do. You do get some complete jokers, but you can always tell when you've had a good referee when your not moaning about him after the game. If you go unnoticed, you've done well.

Ugh. So fucking stupid.

Some idiot went into a Halifax branch this morning to sort something out. The advisor rang us up here (whilst the customer was in the room) and I said Id get the matter investigated and we would contact client. Then when he got home he rang up and got me. FFS. Idiot, I told him I was the one the advisor spoke to. Idiot.

Yeah. I appreciate that its hard, especially since (don't know about you) there wasn't linesmen in the games we played. Its hard to do. You do get some complete jokers, but you can always tell when you've had a good referee when your not moaning about him after the game. If you go unnoticed, you've done well.

That's exactly what the teacher said. "If you are a good referee they won't know you're there."

I have linesman but they aren't trained they are just somebody from the club. And they always get accused of cheating/being wrong when a lot of the time they are right.

Some people can be such wankers, just got back from walking my dog and as we entered the lobby of our flats my dog ran close to this black guy and he went to hit her, I got straight in his face and shouted at him 'you hit my dog and I'll flatten you', you should have seen him run. As he ran off he shouted 'if I see you without your dog I'm going to fuck you up'. You've got to laugh, he was clearly more scared of me than he was my dog.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!