Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Rate The Last TV Show You Saw (Spoiler Tags for Recent US Shows!)

Slaggis

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to see Wolverine and the X-Men. I might buy Hulk VS today actually....would quite like to see it and I've been paid so....

I wonder when the box set is actually out. They have ordered another full season Paj, btw.

I've seen the first 2-3 episodes (whilst tipsy/drunk) and enjoyed it but wasn't wowed. How does the rest of the season compare and how does it compare to Spider-Man Speccy. :)

As I said, the first few were like "Hmm, this is ok, bearing in mind I hate the idea of Wolvey being the main character" and so on. But then it gets really good once it's "set up" so to speak. And Wolvey isn't the main focus in every episode thankfully.

It's just a really well told story, considering ALL the stuff it crams in, and the sheer deluge of characters in includes from the Marvel Universe. Complex and compelling.

It's different to Spidey, I think I prefer this, but then it's a bit more complex and involving, and epic. It's literally an epic, spanning realities/time etc. Spidey's still good though. Both series have surprised me actually, I always preferred DC cartoons.

Peculiarly, Colossus is part of the original promo image and has an action figure, but IIRC, he's yet to appear properly. Maybe next series.

EDIT: There are a few skippable episodes in X-Men, but then there's double the amount of episodes than Spider-Man. And they're only skippable cause it's just shit ones about Wolverine fighting various Marvel characters that has nothing to do with anything.

Edited by Paj!

Wolvie fighting Marvel characters sounds awesome, lol.

I ordered Hulk VS online, due to the massive price difference to down town.

They just feel pointless and shit compared to the rest of the series. Like, the reason I bought collected Essential X-Men and not Wolverine Unleashed back in the day. He's in X-Men anyway, I'm not interested in him fighting Hulk/Wendigo for an episode. SPOILERXXLX

My comic friend said it was awesome.......Is it not entertaining just as a throw away bit of fun? He said its gorier than the film also. Lozzle.

It's not throwaway at all. It's great. Complex and compelling as I keep loving to say.

It's better than the film in every way imaginable.

Also WOW @ Retro. Thats a high score. I gave the finale 10/10, and cried at that, so if you give that 11 and say you tearathonned.....it must be pretty heavy. Looking forward to tomorrow now.
It's so awesome and moving. Can't remember a TV show EVER making me pretty much cry, let alone twice as The Final Break did!

I'm sure you'll love it.

Edited by Retro_Link

Breaking Bad s02e12... The penultimate for the second season... My God. I was watching the last few minutes through my fingers- Not necessarily unpredictable but massively intense. A third season is confirmed, which is excellent!

Southland s01e07 has gone beyond just being that new show that guy from the OC is in into being something that tries really hard to be quality drama. While the shakey-cam is still so distracting that it's almost an extra character for the cast, the acting in general is strong and competent. The larger story arc is fairly clear now, and it is interesting because it is a fairly weak line to follow, but each episode seems to support the continuity smartly. Each of the 8-ish characters are pimped out each episode in varying amounts to reveal their characters... But the show still feels like it is trying too hard...

For those who don't know; Southland is a cop show that styles itself after The Wire, trying to attain a level of realism by focusing on one storyline at a time -- only this show doesn't foreground that storyline, instead it showcases some element of each cop's interactions with society and in this way portrays the usual 'even cops are complicated' routine.

There are certainly many harsh scenes of violence, but the smorgasbord element can only run so long -- I mean, one episode sparks from a rap star's 911 call, another is to do with a movie star. Frequently there are examples of the ludicrous 911 calls that are made (this episode featured a taxi call and an issue with chicken nuggets) that helps the viewer to sympathise with the characters. The show's bottom line is; a Cop is not like any other human being. S/he has to sacrifice a lot of their life in order to pursue a life of justice and law... But this episode, in particular, really resonated the whole "USA! USA!" viba that kills shows (memorial day, ffs...) and zombifies their reputations.

STILL! If anyone is reading on; this is a show that is truly in teh above average lot. It is there because it at least tries to offer conflicts of personality without a narrative diction forced down the viewer's eye sockets. I strongly recommend watching the first episode to see if you like it, especially since the summer season promises so little right now.

Mental

Touted as a House imitator, placing focus on mental cases rather than physical illnesses, this show offers... Little promise at all. I can't really tell if this is just a pilot or what, but the acting is scared, even with a receptionist from s02 of The Wire (oooh, there it is again!), a that guy who has been in everything from FRIENDS to Prison Break(the poor bastard always plays a crazy guy thanks to his crossed eyes)... Even the musical tinklings are similar to House.

THe House wannabe is even english, too, only he doesn't hide his accent, played Whistler in Prison Break and previously had a bit- or a half-role in a bunch of english tv stuff, from The Bill to All Saints. He has his own Cuddy to face off against, too... A couple of interns who are mesmerised by his apparantly superior intellect.

As a House imitator, it doesn't fare too well. None of the characters have the same charm nor wit, but as an episodic filler TV show, it does the job alright. The question as to whether each case can sustain interest is in doubt. 13 episodes have been filmed, so I'll give it a few more episodes to see if they have any actual storyline beyond the predictable.

At the moment, I still say that Life is the best House replacement, stylistically. For once I'll give a rating; with 5 being an average, I'll give Mental a paranoid 6/10 for the first episode. It has promise; it has hope. If it can find its own feet to stand on, then it could go somewhere.

... And I've just realised that I've made an uber-long, auto-merged post that'll never be read. Whoops!

So...the end of E.R. I've watched this show the longest of anything my entire life. I watched it sporadically when I was younger as my mum has watched every episode since it started, so I was always aware of it. I came when Dr. Greene was dying..I remember that.

Loved it all, really. I'll never forget how much I loved the Season 12 finale. I span around on my chair screaming.

Really subtle finale, allowing for life to go on, not for everything to conclude, which was appropriate.

I never liked Brenner really, his constant crying/staring at walls because he was sexually abused just annoyed me. But yeah, he wasn't that big a character anyway.

Loved the series. I watched the hour long memoir thing before the feature length finale, which was sad. I did get emotional throughout the finale.

So...the end of E.R. I've watched this show the longest of anything my entire life. I watched it sporadically when I was younger as my mum has watched every episode since it started, so I was always aware of it. I came when Dr. Greene was dying..I remember that.

Loved it all, really. I'll never forget how much I loved the Season 12 finale. I span around on my chair screaming.

Really subtle finale, allowing for life to go on, not for everything to conclude, which was appropriate.

I never liked Brenner really, his constant crying/staring at walls because he was sexually abused just annoyed me. But yeah, he wasn't that big a character anyway.

Loved the series. I watched the hour long memoir thing before the feature length finale, which was sad. I did get emotional throughout the finale.

Man you don't know what you're missing. Coming in where you did, you missed the best years of ER (3-8). The DVDs are going so cheap nowadays, you'd be clinically insane not to pick them up. Don't get me wrong, even in it's later seasons it was still better than half the dross on the box nowadays but it just wasn't the same without the backbones of Greene or Carter. I think season 6 has probably my favourite ever TV storyline that spans the entire season for one of the above characters.

As you've mentioned, I liked the way they ended things, showing that hospital life will continue as normal once the cameras stop rolling. It's just sad that it's finished. In my view there's never been a show that can reach the same heights of drama and intensity when those trauma situations arose.

*Reaches for kleenex*

Jay, as I think I said to you a while back, I did half watch the first episode of Southland and quite enjoyed it. I never fully base my opinion of a show off just one episode but having just bought the complete Wire collection, I can see what you mean by Southland trying to imitate it. Which is no bad thing in my view. I still found it quite hard to take the Rookie officer seriously. He should be in California with the rest of The OC gang! I think i'll wait for the DVD to come out so I can watch it all in one sitting.

Edited by Jon

Cousin Skeeter - Bicycle Thief

Wow. Anyone remember this? Went onto Youtube looking for some music and it was in my recommended viewing section on the main page and it brought back so many memories so decided to watch it. Really was a trip down memory lane to when Nickelodeon was actually made up of good shows. So, watching it again it has made me want to watch more. This episode wasn't spectacular and I don't remember any of the episodes being as such but it's just tied to childhood so it'll always be good to reminise. The cousin Skeeter character is great though. He was the big draw of the show and made it good to watch and still manages it now.

JonSt; it's interesting that they've given the OC guy's character an OC character all over again! It's like throughout this season he's trying to persuade his fellow cast that he's not that O.C. twatface that he seems to be.

Watch more episodes. There's still plenty of surprises :)

House-Pills-house-md-522056_1200_1720.jpg

House - S5E19 - Mos Def gets sick

Started off great. Kind of winded down a bit too much.

6/10

House - S5E20 - Meat Loaf gets sick - I know, two musicians, what are the odds?

Kudner killing himself, just what? Loved it.

8/10

House - S5E21 - Mark Ronson gets sick - Yeah, well...it looks like him a bit.

House is losing it!! The bit at the end with Amber, awesome.

8/10

Edited by Daft

Breaking Bad S02 e13

Holy God of Everything Ever!

That was... totally and utterly unseen! Just... Phew. Mad. I can't believe MOAR people aren't watching this yet. This is television.

10/10. Five stars. A shiny medal. Some pictures of penguins riding motherfuckin' BEARS.

Battlestar Galactica The Final Season Episode 1

Mummy!

My eyes welled up at one point. I thought I might cry, but I didn't. My foundations were rocked, my tried and true way to deal was to vanish.

Although the ending revelation I thought was really obvious the entire way through, or at least was on the top of my list of suspects.

But yeah. I'm still upset. This show is unbelievably uncompromising. Literally burning the books that Pythia wrote. [/Laura Roslin]

Brilliant.

I'm 3-4 epis into Battlestar. It makes a point of not letting you dare rest.

Brilliant. Too many deaths per episode.

Also, what's the codename of that one with the lovely face who

tricked Anders into being bagged? She's been around for ages, but isn't Racetrack.

I'm 3-4 epis into Battlestar. It makes a point of not letting you dare rest.

Brilliant. Too many deaths per episode.

Also, what's the codename of that one with the lovely face who

tricked Anders into being bagged? She's been around for ages, but isn't Racetrack.

Diana "Hardball" Seelix.

Edited by Tales

Watched the piot episode of Jericho this morning for the dozenth time. I think it ranks as my favourite Pilot episode of any TV Show.

It is indeed very zomg. First season is excellent, but the second season's focus shifts too much.

It is indeed very zomg. First season is excellent, but the second season's focus shifts too much.

It was always going to be a battle fitting so much into 7 episodes. It should never have been canceled in the first place. If it had been called CSI would have lasted at least 67 seasons.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!