N-Europe

Wii Beats Xbox360 In UK And DS Beaking Records Sales..

Dante

DS smashes UK hardware record.

Sells over 200,000 last week, whilst Wii passes Xbox 360’s UK installed base

It seems that the only thing pegging back Nintendo’s remarkable sales achievements at the moment is its ability to get hardware on the High Street – but that hasn’t stopped the DS Lite smashing the UK weekly hardware sales record that it had set only the week before.

Last week Nintendo’s handheld sold 212,584 units – a fair chunk more than the previous weeks sales record of 191,104, according to sales data from UK stats body ChartTrack.

Until now the PS2 had been the long-standing record holder, following the 184,360 units it sold in Christmas week in 2001.

Nintendo UK's general manager David Yarnton stated: “With its wide appeal and unique software, Nintendo DS continues to expand the gaming audience and continues to appeal to everyone.

"The vast range of software being created for both avid gamers and new gamers of all ages has ensured a wide variety of unique titles are available. With New Touch! Generation title, Sight Training, and more traditional games like The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, we are looking forward to an exciting Christmas season.”

In addition to all of this, Nintendo’s other big success story, the Wii, sold over 100,000 units last week – and its total sales have now surpassed those of Microsoft’s Xbox 360, despite arriving on the market almost a year after Microsoft’s machine.

MVC

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

360 has more hard-core gamers and software will do better on the 360 compared to the Wii.

Most people are getting it because it's the Wii and it has motion sensing so they get it for the sake of it and the concept of controlling is different. But when it comes to the hard-core gamer, there's very little of them. Most of the Wiis base is for casual gamers. We can see this with software sales, especially in the likes of Japan. And even so, there isn't all that much for the hard-core as of yet and mostly cash ins or crappy licensed games. Though i'm hoping Q1/Q2 will break this barrier with Mario Kart and Brawl. And next year there are quailty 3rd party titles so i'm hoping the hard-core base, which Nintendo should be trying to please the most (voice chat and HDD) will increase somewhat.

Nintendo are damaging the hard core gamers without these add-ons and I have no idea why and at the same time, their damaging themselves. Things would be better for them with a mic and HDD because then everyone will be pleased then more VC games will be bought and more software will bought due to a better online system.

Are people on here being sarcastic? Saying the Wii is shit. And if it didn't have mario, Zelda and metroid then I wouldnt want one - are you taking the piss because I find you hilarious!!! What the fuck has ANY console had that matches those 3 titles in the first year!!!

Why do people love knocking whoever's doing well! Success breeds hate in most things in England, winds me up!!!

I agree, it's shit. Worst Nintendo home console ever by a distance. Nintendo are lucky they have Mario, Zelda, and Metroid, otherwise I'd have laughed at the prospect of me having a Wii.

Completely agree, they're the only three Wii games I own!

Are people on here being sarcastic? Saying the Wii is shit. And if it didn't have mario, Zelda and metroid then I wouldnt want one - are you taking the piss because I find you hilarious!!! What the fuck has ANY console had that matches those 3 titles in the first year!!!

Why do people love knocking whoever's doing well! Success breeds hate in most things in England, winds me up!!!

Sorry...But I kinda agree with the 'Wii is shit' (so far) comment. And no I didn't agree with this statement just because the Wii is successful why the hell would I/we?! I loved the PS2 without even being a Sony fan and I'm starting to love the 360 even though I swore a sacred oath to never own the original Xbox, why?...

BECAUSE THEY GIVE US TOP NOTCH GAMES!

Not games with severly lacking modes when compared with others of its ilk (ie online). Not games whos main feature is an online mode only to suffer chronic connection errors on a regular basis. Not games that have been out for years only to resell at near full price years later with a mere new control scheme. Not games that some how fall short of its predecessor (ie SPM) And ofcourse not games that look like prelaunch Gamecube titles.

Ofcourse, someone will argue against this and try to alter my opinion with some reverse psychology/other 'don't call it a come back'-esque response, but this is MY opinion and I have given a year to think it through.

I simply don't feel Nintendo are doing all they can to promote the spread of on-par 3rd party titles or on-par exclusive alternatives (ie what would you prefer; SC Legends or Soul Calibur 4?). What REALLY is it that is selling all these Wiis? It surely wasn't stimulated by Galaxy because this phenomenon started before it's release - Its hype - hype for a gimmick which very soon turns stale and at frequent times annoying.

Nintendo just seem to do what sells these days and stops there, whereas other companies are going the extra mile to perfect their franchises, expand on their games and keep close tabs on their fans.

Anyway...To answer your question directly, there are plenty of games from other companies that offer close to or the same sort of gaming pleasure that those three have given. The only reason why I want my Wii back right now is to own Galaxy and wait for Brawl, but as I experienced with Melee Smash bros can easily turn stale after a prolonged period of time (I also predict the wifi to be of low quality like most online Wii games) and if there is nothing going on during spring and summer I surely will be tempted to sell it (for the fourth time) to a brainless, 'buy-it-now' eBayer for a stupid price which would probably go to cover some of my car insurance and my subscription to LIVE :p. A few key Nintendo franchises are the only titles keeping Wii in my mind and it will only get worst in 2008 when the 360 and certianly the PS3 ups its game.

For 2008, my must have games so far are: Resident evil 5, Gran Turismo 5, GTA, Soul Calibur 4, Final Fantasy XIII, MGS4, Street Fighter HD, Devil May Cry and many more which i can't think of...and these are all PS3 titles coming at a time when the 'next gen' installments of Metroid, Zelda and Mario have already gone by...The only Wii must have game I can utter is Brawl, and maybe No More Heroes and I would have added Crystal Bearers and others if I had more info about them. I really don't see how the Wii will be any different in the next 6 months; I still predict Wii-makes (Okami) and Wii-ni games.

:(

Well when you compare it to the 360, it's embarrassingly bad. Shite graphics, awful online, the VC is pathetic compared to Xbox live arcade and their upgraded classics, the main menu is shite compared to the menus the 360 has, no hard drive, not even an option for one. Rubbish.

Well when you compare it to the 360, it's embarrassingly bad. Shite graphics, awful online, the VC is pathetic compared to Xbox live arcade and their upgraded classics, the main menu is shite compared to the menus the 360 has, no hard drive, not even an option for one. Rubbish.

The Wii isn't marketed to people like you. So naturally you don't like it.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, it seems that a console's Christmas sales peak roughly during it's third year. Let's see how well the Wii does in two years' time.

Mikey you're talking shit. The VC PISSES all over xbox live, you must be some blind fanboy to not agree.

What?

WHAT? :D

I buy both XBLA and VC games... and what you just said is beyond funny.

Would I rather buy, Street Fighter II' Turbo Hyper Fighting on the Virtual Console, which is exactly the same as the original.

Or for cheaper (around £1 cheaper infact) I can get the same game, only with sharper and HD 'tuned' graphics, online play for up to 4 players, leaderboards and achievements.

Its uncomparable. And there are many other examples of this.

Untill the VC gets some astounding original games such as: Geomatery Wars, Jet Pac Refuelled, Pac-Man Championship Editon, Carcassone and alot of arcade remakes/ports with added features there is simply no contest.

Sure i have to pay £40 a year for XBL Gold, but i basically use it every single day.

And please tell me in the first 12 months of the 360 what games matched metroid, Zelda and Mario? Please tell me.

Have you forgotten the lack lustre last year of the Gamecube? Basically these games were overdue. TP was held back for atleast a year just so it can join the Wii as was SPM, the last Mario installment came 5 years ago, the last Metroid installment came 2-3 years ago? They simply bunched up a lot of overdue games to get the 'oh my goshhh!' factor...

But anyway, what comes after Metroid, Zelda and Mario? 2008 will see Sony's big guns, what will Nintendo have to go against these beasts?

Have you forgotten the lack lustre last year of the Gamecube? Basically these games were overdue. TP was held back for atleast a year just so it can join the Wii, the last Mario installment came 5 years ago, the last Metroid installment came 2-3 years ago? They simply bunched up a lot of overdue games to get the 'oh my goshhh!' factor...

But anyway, what comes after Metroid, Zelda and Mario? 2008 will see Sony's big guns, what will Nintendo have to go against these beasts?

TP was held back for the Wii, but there were already two Prime games on the Gamecube, so I don't think this edition was held back specifically for the Wii. When was the last time three metroid titles appeared on the same system?

Same case with Mario. The N64 had SM64, The Gamecube had Sunshine, so naturally the Wii gets a Mario title as its own. Whether it will be the last dedicated Mario title depends on what Nintendo play.

Nintendo have a LOT more to offer than just those big three. Have you forgotten Smash Bros already? What about Mario Kart? The hardcores also LOVE F Zero. Animal Crossing? These are all AAA titles. Apart from that, there are plenty more as well, also with the added bonus in knowing that Nintendo are creating new franchises all the time, ala Nintendogs, WiiSports and Brain Training.

Ah but those games are what the GC had last time, basically i see the Wii taking the same route with the "hardcores" as the cube did, but selling so much more because of the casual market. Mostly the same people who stuck by the cube will stick by the Wii, and Sony/Microsoft will have their shares as they did last time with their audiences.

I'm sorry but xbox live does have some amazing games - I LOVE Geometry Wars more than most "proper" games, but I am sorry, I really do laugh when anyone thinks anything can compete with 20 years of gaming genius that is on the Virtual Console, I'm sorry but you are not telling me that ANY of the games you mentioned are even close to Mario 64, ocarina, Donkey Kong Country Trilogy, Super Mario World, Paper mario etc etc. Please tell me you're not!?!

Though I agree about the new games, though I am certain the Wii Ware channel will also house some classic downloadable games!