• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daft

• flameboy

• dwarf

• Choze

Top Posters In This Topic

That's good to hear.

As you've discovered for yourself, the one danger of cheap HDMI cables is that their build quality doesn't tend to be the greatest; more expensive cables are often tested before they're sold. On the other hand they cost so little that you can buy a bunch of them, one of which is bound to work!

The performance issues haven't been totally fixed, but on the other hand they're unlikely to really kick in until you've played for around 20 hours; it's not an exact science, it didn't become too noticeable for me until around 40.

If you've other things to play you might as well wait on the next patch, or at least on what Bethesda have to say about it once they're back to work in the the New Year. Otherwise I say dive in now; it's perfectly playable.

So Retro, how are you finding the PS3? :)

Ahhh don't! ;)

I've got so much Uni work to do at the moment, I'm trying to be really good and not start playing the thing! But it's so tempting! I'm just using it as a Blu-Ray player for now *so shiny!*

I've got a stack of games building... Uncharted 1/2, Portal... and it'll only get added too as the weeks go on! :p

REALLY looking forward to having some free time so I can get going!

Have to say I'm impressed with the size of it and how quiet it is though, it's a lovely bit of kit!

Do you know which three-game-franchise you are going to play first?
... Call... of... Duty?? ;) [/joke]

Yeah I'm already wondering about this though.

I don't want to get Uncharted overkill, because I want to enjoy each game as much as possible! So maybe I should play a game inbetween each one?

Or maybe I can manage Uncharted 1 & 2... then play a couple of other games maybe, before coming back strong and refreshed for the third.

The quick story of my PS3:

Before I got a PS3: Ha, PlayStation is complete rubbish. Because it is.

PS3 goes to under £200: I suppose I should probably try it...but it's going to be awful (This was Februaryish this year...I mean last year)

After a few games: Still not feeling it

After Uncharted: Well...that was pretty good, but feels a tad dated already

After Uncharted 2: .... .... .... OMFG! How was I dumb enough to not try this before! It's like the best thing ever!

Moral of my story: Blast through Uncharted, then enjoy 2 and 3.

Edit: I still, for some reason, have some hatred of Sony though. It's just dug in deep into my brain, and part of it won't accept that they do good things (my laptop is also Sony).

Edited by Cube

Yeah this is quite something for me to get a PS3... like you guys this is my first Playstation, and in fact my first non Nintendo console aside from the Dreamcast!

I never liked the Playstation brand/Sony (the games side of them) during the PS1/PS2 era.

I think it's so easy to get caught up in the whole Nintendo vs Sony thing when you're younger and let it somehow carry over until you realise 'seriously WTF'.

But they've really won me round with the PS3 and I'm really really genuinely excited to play the console! :D

Think I'll most likely give Infamous a go.

Though Infamous 1 wasn't great right? But I feel I need to play it to establish the story/character/universe.

Edited by Retro_Link

Yeah this is quite something for me to get a PS3... like you guys this is my first Playstation, and in fact my first non Nintendo console aside from the Dreamcast!

I never liked the Playstation brand/Sony (the games side of them) during the PS1/PS2 era.

I think it's so easy to get caught up in the whole Nintendo vs Sony thing when you're younger and let it somehow carry over until you realise 'seriously WTF'.

But they've really won me round with the PS3 and I'm really really genuinely excited to play the console! :D

Think I'll most likely give Infamous a go.

Though Infamous 1 wasn't great right? But I feel I need to play it to establish the story/character/universe.

Yeah, totally. I think I stopped caring about brand/company loyalty when I went from a Wii to a 360 to a PS3 in a little over a year. Now I definitely prefer my PS3 but, honestly, when I had just my 360 I was pretty smitten. Having said that, I think the 360 has me less interested in recent year (They stopped making PGR games and I've played Halo to death, though I love it). Also they can go pleasure themselves with something sharp and rusty if they think I'm going to pay to play online.

Infamous 1 is a weird one. It's not a bad game, it just requires some attention. I found it takes forever to build momentum, starts off so slow, but by the end I absolutely loved it. Infamous 2 is basically all the awesome from the end of 1 and then some and then made slicker.

You going to join us for some online Uncharted?

Infamous 1 is a weird one. It's not a bad game, it just requires some attention. I found it takes forever to build momentum, starts off so slow, but by the end I absolutely loved it. Infamous 2 is basically all the awesome from the end of 1 and then some and then made slicker.

You going to join us for some online Uncharted?

Attention in that it struggles to hold your interest until it builds towards the end?

Yeah I should hope so, though it'll be quite some time before I reach Uncharted 3!

Attention in that it struggles to hold your interest until it builds towards the end?

Depends on how patient you are with the game's beginning. During the first and maybe the second hour, you'll spend a lot of time doing missions with little variety, frying enemies with little variety over and over.

Ah right ok, how long is the game?

Also what are peoples thoughts on Little Big Planet?

I have to say I genuinely don't see myself building levels in the game... does that rule it out straight away really, or is there some fun to be had from the single player?

Is there much difference between LBP 1&2 outside of the building?

Edited by Retro_Link

You dont need to be a creator to enjoy LBP. Just enjoy others creations :) LBP2 is better as an overall package but LBP1 has a more focused traditional platformer style single player to it.

ALL LBP 1 DLC and freebies, peoples levels etc. are compatible with LBP2. Just the single player is different.

Ah right ok, how long is the game?

Also what are peoples thoughts on Little Big Planet?

I have to say I genuinely don't see myself building levels in the game... does that rule it out straight away really, or is there some fun to be had from the single player?

Is there much difference between LBP 1&2 outside of the building?

It really builds to the end. I wouldn't say it ever gets boring but it does lull. I'd say about 5 hours in it starts to pick up. Up until then it's hard to see what the fuss is about.

Go for LBP2 over 1. It's a way more advance and streamlined game. Like Choze said, LBP2 is more about a platform that lets you play and create lots of different types of games. LBP1 lets you build and play platform stuff, for the most part. Everything is backward compatible though, so get LBP2 and you can play all the user levels from 1. I wouldn't say you were missing too much from the first's single player.

If you plan on playing Infamous 2 I honestly wouldn't bother with the original. IIRC there's far more side missions in the first game, and the satellite-dish-hunt variety features wayyyy too heavily. They are fiddly and cumbersome and tedious and all other sorts of awful.

The sequel is a can of laughs and thrills for the most part.

I'd feel like I didn't really know the character etc... if I went straight in to the second.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. The characters and their relationships are fleshed out enough the only thing that is you might have trouble with is some of the events explained wont make sense as much. Hell you could blast through 1 pretty quick I did when I was sick a few months after it released. It is a lot more repetitive than 2 though.

I thought this was really cool.

JAPAN INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY

Here is a short footage on our recent work on quantum levitation. We were inspired by the game Wipe'out to do our work. With this new technology, we hope to revolutionize the world of motor transport; Maybe in a near future we could assist to a real Wipe'out race.