NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

Some news from Eurogamer regarding the studios projects.

Sony Liverpool was working on two PlayStation 4 launch titles, Eurogamer has been told by a reliable source.

One of these was, unsurprisingly, a WipEout game described to us as "dramatically different" than previous games in the series. Another was a Splinter Cell-style game.

A source described the WipEout game as "far along". It had been in development for between 12 and 18 months.

A separate source told Eurogamer that the other game began life as a gangster style experience before it evolved into something akin to Splinter Cell. We've also heard that it used motion capture tech similar to that used by Team Bondi for LA Noire, but it was "a bit ahead of it".

All Sony Liverpool projects were cancelled by Sony this morning.

Here's a few updates on the situation.

UPDATE 3: Sony Liverpool has bid a tearful farewell to WipEout, the sci-fi racing series that defined a generation and helped PlayStation achieve its wonderful mainstream success.

On the WipEout 2048 Facebook page an update let fans know of the unfortunate news that broke this morning.

"As some of you may have heard Sony have chosen to close Studio Liverpool as of today," the update reads.

"This page will no longer be maintained by the WipEout Team.

"We have loved making every game, every minute and every one of you. Keep the faith, keep loving WipEout.

"Thank you for everything, Pilots. It's been an amazing journey and we'll miss you. X"

UPDATE 2: Sony has contacted Eurogamer to stress that the only part of the Liverpool campus that is being closed is WWSE Team Liverpool.

The campus will still house FQA, GFPQA, XDev, CSG-Video, Localisation services and WWSE Finance, among other departments.

A Sony spokesperson also said the company will try to relocate those affected to other studios. "We will be looking to relocate the team members throughout the studios, but unfortunately some redundancies will be necessary and in those cases we will assist staff in any way we can."

UPDATE 1: Sony has confirmed the closure of Sony Liverpool.

In a statement Sony said it was focusing on other studios that "are currently working on exciting new projects".

The statement in full:

"As part of SCE Worldwide Studios, we do regular reviews to ensure that the resources we have can create and produce high quality, innovative and commercially viable projects in an increasingly competitive marketplace. As part of this process, we have reviewed and assessed all current and planned projects for the short and medium term and have decided to make some changes to our European Studios.

"It has been decided that Liverpool Studio should be closed. Liverpool Studio has been an important part of SCE Worldwide Studios since the outset of PlayStation, and have contributed greatly to PlayStation over the years.

Everyone connected with Liverpool Studio, past and present, can be very proud of their achievements.

"However, it was felt that by focusing our investment plans on other Studios that are currently working on exciting new projects, we would be in a stronger position to offer the best possible content for our consumers.

"Our Liverpool Facility will continue to operate, housing a number of other vital WWSE and SCEE Departments.

"This should not take anything away from the great work WWS are doing and the incredible games and services that we have made, and continue to make, both for this coming year and further in the future."

Dissapointed Counter-Strike didn't hit the EU PSN today. So I opted for the Xbox version, but it appears that it is broken at the moment. I can run around the map, but none of the buttons are working so can't actually shoot.

Went to try a HDD change for more memory. Turns out the screws on the caddy are completely knackered, so I'll need to buy a part.

There's a lot I probably won't play for a while so I'll just delete a load of stuff and see how I go.

It definitely deserved a sequel. They should release the first on Plus.

I can't believe it about Sony Liverpool. It also makes me hurt in a nostalgic way psycosis add they originally were made so many classic games back intended day.Will x Sony sort on the

lemmings license forever and never do anything with it?!

I can't believe it about Sony Liverpool. It also makes me hurt in a nostalgic way psycosis add they originally were made so many classic games back intended day.Will x Sony sort on the

Are you a spam bot?

Because you sound like a spam bot.

Lemmings? They only published Lemmings. That was made by Rockstar North.

Just like how they published the amazing Wiz 'n' Liz: The Frantic Wabbit Wescue, from Bizarre Creations. So now the developer and publisher is dead.

Are you a spam bot?

Because you sound like a spam bot.

lol...i was half asleep and can't be bothered posting in full sentences on my new phone at times.

Lemmings? They only published Lemmings. That was made by Rockstar North.

Just like how they published the amazing Wiz 'n' Liz: The Frantic Wabbit Wescue, from Bizarre Creations. So now the developer and publisher is dead.

They might only be the publishers but they apparently do own the rights to it. But yeah DMA/Rockstar are the developers of Lemmings.

Shame to hear about Studio Liverpool. What was their portfolio the last couple of years?

Cambridges projects looked awful. I think they are under Guerilla games now. The killzone game looks neat.

Wipeout HD

Wipeout HD Fury

Wipeout 2048

Their next project was Wipeout for the PS4.

Some people may know, I had a small hatred of Uncharted. I liked everything but the combat.

I realize now, I was wrong. For my skill level I was approaching combat all wrong, I was shooting people to death, which is good for the crackshots, but I'm not (and I do still think the aiming mechanics aren't up to par). However running around like an ass switching weapons and punching guys in the dick to kill them makes it all soooo much better.

I do still kinda hate the supernatural bits like the fight at the end of Uncharted 2, but boss battles in 3 were bloody superb!

Oh, I didn't feel like bumping a random Uncharted thread and figured General was a good place to admit I was wrong.

Bumping the Uncharted thread? It's currently fourth from top.

I uuuhh didn't look very hard. I honestly just clicked other consoles and looked at the stickies for Playstation General. Hell I'll copy paste.

Tomba! arrives in Europe on the 5th September.

MonkeyPaw Games' PSN re-release of Tomba! is coming to Europe on September 5, the publisher told Joystiq today. The PSOne Classics version of Whoopee Camp's caveman platformer, about a pink-haired caveman battling pigs to reclaim an heirloom bracelet, was released in North America in June.

MonkeyPaw has suggested to us in the past that it is interested in releasing Tomba 2 as well, provided sales of the original game are sufficient.

PS+:

5th September: Machinarium

12th September: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.

12th September: Double Dragon Neon

2nd October: Red Dead Redemption

Later this month: Cloud storage increased to 1GB

5th - 19th September: 1 year of PS+ is £29.99.

This weeks PSN sale.

Hello everybody. So the PS Vita firmware update 1.80 finally happened, WOOT! To celebrate this and after chatting to some of the PSN Community about it I thought it would be a good idea to get you some discounts on some classic PSOne games that I am sure you will all enjoy either at home on your PS3 or now on the move with your PS Vita.

However it is not just all PSOne games, we also have Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend on sale for the PS Vita and for you horse riding, guns blazing, cowboy fans we have all the Red Dead Redemption DLC. So get these deals before they ride off into the sunset.

These discounts will start on Wednesday 5th September once the weekly store update has happened.

Enjoy!

PS3 Games

Space Channel 5 Part 2

Was – €7.99/£6.49 Now – €4.49/£3.69

PS3 DLC

Legends and Killers Pack

Was – €9.99/£7.99 Now – €4.99/£3.99

Liars and Cheats

Undead Nightmare

Undead Nightmare Collection

Was – €19.99/£15.99 Now – €9.99/£7.99

PS Vita

Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend

Was – €29.99/£24.99 Now – €24.99/£19.99

(Additional 15% off for PLUS members)

PS1

A Bug’s Life

Was – €4.99/£3.99 Now – €1.99/£1.59

Buzz Lightyear of Star Command

Was – €4.99/£3.99 Now – €2.49/£1.99

Crash Bandicoot

Was – €4.99/£3.99 Now – €3.59/£2.99

(Additional 10% off for PLUS members)

Crash Bandicoot 2 – Cortex Strikes Back

Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped

CTR: Crash Team Racing

Destruction Derby

Disney Pixar Toy Story 2

Was – €5.49/£4.49 Now – €2.49/£1.99

Disney Pixar Toy Story 2 and Toy Story Racer

Disney Pixar Toy Story Racer

Was – €5.99/£4.79 Now – €2.99/£2.39

Disney’s Hercules and Disney’s Atlantis

Disney’s Little Mermaid 2 and Party Time with Winnie the Pooh

Was – €7.99/£6.49 Now – €3.59/£2.99

Disney’s Action Game Feat. Hercules

Disney’s Atlantis : The Lost Empire

Was – €6.49/£5.19 Now – €2.49/£1.99

G-Police

Jet Rider

Jet Rider 2

Kula World

Kurushi Final

Lilo & Stitch : Trouble in Paradise

Mickey’s Wild Adventure

Was – €5.99/£4.79 Now – €2.99/£2.39

Monsters Inc : Scare Island

Party Time with Winnie the Pooh

Peter Pan : Adventures In Never Land

Syphon Filter

Syphon Filter 3

The Little Mermaid II

PS2

Chicken Little

Disney Princess Enchanted Journey

Donald Duck: Goin’ Quackers (Quack Attack)

Donald PK

Kim Possible: What’s The Switch

Meet the Robinsons

Peter Pan Return to Neverland

Toy Story 3

PSP

NBA 2K12

Was – €29.99/£23.99 Now – €14.99/£11.99

minis

5-in-1 Arcade Hits

Was – €2.99/£2.49 Now – €1.19/£0.99

MiniSquadron

Was – €1.99/£1.74 Now – €1.19/£0.99

One Epic Game

Was – €2.99/£2.49 Now – €1.19/£0.99

The Impossible Game

Was – €1.99/£1.74 Now – €1.19/£0.99

It was surpringly easy to create an US account and buy a US PSN card. I got Tombi that way.

I was never able to finish Mickey's Wild Adventure as a child. Hopefully I fare better this time.

Yeah I'd rather get this on my UK account for the purpose of playing it on Vita. I thought I heard somewhere that our store gets updated on Thursdays though?

The Vita version of Remote play as is used with GOW Collection and Ico/SOTC Collection is very impressive! The video is still capped at 30FPS, the video is noticably compressed (though much better looking than the old PSP video), there's a little bit of audio skipping, but the latency is very good with very little lag at around 6 feet of distance! (It's a bit noticable, but I've felt HDTVs with worse input lag than this - GOW Collection is very playable! :D)

I've yet to try longer distances (where I'm sure it wont keep up - and I'm not gonna bother with it over the internet), but I reckon it's good enough to try for another play through of Ico in this manner. Should give me a nice taste of what's to come with the Wii U :D

Edit: Just tried it from the other end of my house, no problems... except for button mashing QTEs in GOW - for some reason they seem to kill the video stream :( (at close range, they work though)

Not bad all in all, just avoid playing anything too button mashy at long distances and it's mostly perfectly playable :) (If not perfectly perfect)

Now, how's about getting more games working with it Sony?

Edited by Dcubed