NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

Sony's Turnaround from this time last year is also pretty remarkable. Going from last place every month to first, and with so many great bits of software coming out too.

You could argue it that way I guess.

I don't want to start a debate or anything though, so we might as well leave it at that.

Uncharted 2 sells 2.5 million

uncharted-21.jpg

During an interview before the game’s release, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves‘ community manager Arne Meyer said that if the sequel manages to do better sales wise than the the first game — which at the time was reported to be around 2.5 million — then they’re “set.” Mission accomplished, then.

In an LA Times piece about Naughty Dog’s creative director Amy Hennig it’s noted that Sony has sold through 2.5 million copies of the PlayStation 3-exclusive GOTY scooper to date — a feat accomplished with about four months on the market.

Naturally, there’s more to come; the third game is already “assured,” if not officially announced.

http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/2010/02/09/uncharted-2-sells-25-million/

Great news. A very worthy game.

Sooner or later I'm picking up a PS3, basically for one motive: the Yakuza series. Nothing new in me, since I only ended up buying a PS2 because of Yakuza and Yakuza 2... :smile:

I'm a huge Shenmue fan (my favorite series of all time), and looking at Yakuza I couldn't help but see a bit of a resemblance between both games. Yakuza turned out to be a bit different from what I expected, but I still rather enjoyed it. I call it Shenmue's evil cousin. :D

Anyway, I haven't followed the differences between the many versions of the hardware (both different revisions, and the typical different packs with larger discs). I was wondering if anyone could answer a couple of quick questions:

-what model/version should I get? I would like, if possible, to have backwards compatibility, but I believe only the first model was able to do it, and those are probably only found in used state, which I don't want.

-what accessories do I have to buy when purchasing a console? I know the HDMI cable isn't included (or at least it wasn't a while back), but for example to connect to the internet (wired), do I need to purchase anything?

-what PS3 exclusives do you guys recommend? I'm looking for RPG's, story heavy games, or games a bit out of the ordinary, and not FPS or the usual GT, Metal Gear or the Final Fantasy series, I never cared for any of those series. For example, from the games I'm aware, I would like to pick up Infamous, Heavy Rain, Demon's Souls, Siren: Blood Curse and The Last Guy.

Sorry, I forgot to mention I'm not from the UK, so most UK onlines stores like Game are off, because they don't ship hardware outside of the UK.

What's the reference for the backwards models, so I can try to locate one locally?

Additionally, is there really no way for the recent models (such as the slim models) to run PS2 games?

If you own obscure/import PS2 games (maybe stuff like Yakuza) it is unlikely that they will work on the 60GB ps3, the scope of games that work on it is actually fairly limited.

If you don't live in the UK, where do you live? That would help.

You need an HDMI cable if you want to use HDMI, which is recommended if you own a TV that accepts HDMI. DO NOT buy an HDMI cable from a store. You can find them online for like $15/£8/€10.

You can use an ethernet connection for reliability, but the PS3 will do wireless G out of the box.

I recommend buying a set of Real Triggers ($5).

I also recommend buying an official playstation brand headset, if you plan on doing any online gaming, unless you already have another bluetooth headset. The official one is a good quality for its price, and has some special features.

they don't ship hardware outside of the UK.

They don't? Damn it. I was hoping i could order one from there pretty soon. I'll have to spend like 40/50£ more now, since I'm buying from Norway.

If you own obscure/import PS2 games (maybe stuff like Yakuza) it is unlikely that they will work on the 60GB ps3, the scope of games that work on it is actually fairly limited.

If you don't live in the UK, where do you live? That would help.

Yeah, my main interest for backwards compatibility was because of Yakuza & Yakuza 2. They look awful on my HD set. A blurry mess.

By the way, I'm located in Portugal. I had a look around, and all I've seen are the recent models.

I guess I'll ignore backwards compatibility, and get one of the slim models.

So who recommends getting Play TV? I'm thinking about it and I have to say I'm very tempted by it.

Also think I'm going to buy Flower as it has been reduced to £2.39 :)

Edited by ipaul

So who recommends getting Play TV? I'm thinking about it and I have to say I'm very tempted by it.

Also think I'm going to buy Flower as it has been reduced to £2.39 :)

flower is the single best dlc game ive ever palyed. it may well have stopped me attempting sucide.

A mate from work text me to say flow was free on PSN today?!

I read earlier that it was but only on the US accounts

EDIT: Just tried to download it and im getting an error

Edited by Happenstance

hmmm odd...is it just the PS3 version? I've already got it but would take the PSP version for free if it was going.

From GamesRadar's twitter.

Anyone interested in a World Exclusive PlayStation 3 announcement? Try 8am UK time Monday 15 Feb on GamesRadar.com...

In other news...

Crysis 2: “We Didn’t Compromise Anything [With PS3 Version]†Says Crytek

Company CEO had an interview with PlayStation: The Official Magazine, and some juicy information was released that will surely quench PS3 owners thirst.

PS3 Development

There are many who feel that just because Crysis has been a PC franchise, and still is first and foremost, that bringing the second game to consoles would be a mistake and that said version will never be able to look even close to what PC offers. That’s not correct, says CEO Cevat Yerli, who told the mag that PS3 development of Crysis 2 is happening simultaneously with the PC version and nothing is compromised. “I don’t feel we’ve compromised anything,†he said.

I'd rather play Reach over Crysis any day. There's something about sci-fi weaponry that's so much cooler than real guns.

Even if it does look incredible, the shooting has to be bloody fun to make it worth buying these days.

I kind of fucked up on Deadspace, last night.

I don't know how it happened but I accidently sold my main weapon (Plasma Cutter (PC)) and didn't realize. I saved my game (I only use 1 save slot, so there's no backup save) and then I realize I have no weapon.

That's OK though, all I need to do is load my last save... OH WAIT, I JUST SAVED MY FUCKING GAME WITH THE MASSIVE ERROR I MADE!

I know what you're thinking, just re-buy (free) the PC, yes I can, but all the upgrades I put on it, are now gone.

Takes me about 2 clips to kill an enemy now. :nono:

With FirstPlay, Europe Gets Paid PSN Programming

500x_firstplay.jpg

In North America, PS3 owners have Qore, a paid PSN program. In Europe, there's now FirstPlay.

Available through the PlayStation Network, FirstPlay features HD reviews and previews as well as exclusive downloadable content. The program is from Sony Computer Europe and publishing group Future, the folks behind the Official PlayStation Magazine.

"As PlayStation 3 moves the gaming experience to a more social and competitive online environment through the PlayStation Network, so it becomes critical that we're offering gamers the very best content and services through this channel," said Ray Maguire, Senior Vice President of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe and Managing Director of Sony Computer Entertainment UK. "FirstPlay is a great example of this."

Each episode is 99p, while a three-month subscription costs £8.99.

Besides the newly announced FirstPlay, Future produces Qore as well. Check out the program's first official trailer.

http://kotaku.com/5471793/with-firstplay-europe-gets-paid-psn-programming

That pricing can't be right.

Edit: Just read it's out every week.

Edited by Daft

Seems alright I guess, had forgotten a while that they said they were going to make a show. Will wait and see if it genuinely offers anything that is exclusive.

Having just moved house, and having no internet for the next 2 weeks, I bought myself one of those Mobile Broadband Dongle things that plugs into my laptops USB port.

Can my PS3 run through this? Not for any online gaming or anything, just to check messages, browse store, spy on friends etc....

????

Qore was OK, but paying for review shows? No. There's too many free online reviews, plus this first play shindig will probably find itself on Youtube.

Depends what they mean by exclusive DLC. Would that mean something like if there was a review of a videogame, they'd possibly offer some special DLC for it along with the episode download?