NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

Wish I'd known about this before turning my PS3 on :/

Here sony, look...it's a one line fix

If (is_int(Year/4) && !is_int(YEAR/400)) { LEAPYEARYAY }

Ah so this is why my LBP dynamic theme magically disappeared last night, I ignored the error message because I get them sometimes anyway. Shit. Well, pretty sure I synched my trophies rather recently anyway so that should be fine, I only used it to watch a DVD anyway and that seemed to work fine.

Actually, anyone know if when your trophy info gets sent to facebook that that's the same as synching? If that case isn't so, FML.

If it was a problem with leap years then wouldn't it happen on a leap year? 2008 and 2012 are leap years.

If it was a problem with leap years then wouldn't it happen on a leap year? 2008 and 2012 are leap years.

I believe that's the problem. The internal battery thinks it's the 29th of February 2010, which is a date that doesn't exist.

Apparently removing the internal battery and then putting it back in again solves the issue, although obviously you can't do that without voiding your warranty.

Cool.

Rez posted this on Facebook.

Other than being completely repulsed by his appearance, I did have a good chuckle when he said "Call of dooty".

Other than being completely repulsed by his appearance, I did have a good chuckle when he said "Call of dooty".

I wanted to be disgusted but just found it massively funny. :heh:

I'm glad I have a slim model. Is PSN itself down now, or is it just people with older models can't log in to it? If so, as long as its up by tomorrow...

Balls. The day I decide to see what the PS3 browser is like with a mouse and keyboard, this happens.

The browser works fine btw. I'm using it now.

Am I right in assuming that recently synched trophies are ok? Luckily I did mine yesterday.

My PS3's lasers died a few weeks ago after less than a years play so I'm playing more on my Wii than before. I'm just waiting for the replacement laser to arrive via the far east.

Consoles becoming more and more like pc's don't you think. Remember the days when all you had to do was just load a tape/floppy disc or pop in a cartridge to play a game?

I'm glad that Sony have been honest and been up front and said there is a mistake (I wonder what offline users who don't have internet are thinking right now) but you would think that with all these patches they have been putting into your PS3 they might have sorted this out previously.

Let's hope Sony sort things out soon..

Playstation 4: The Sony Playstation 3 is launched. The system goes off-line March 1st, 2010. Human decisions are removed from electronic exchanges and strategic defence. The PS3 Cell network, a global supercomputer, begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, March 3nd. In a panic, they try to pull the plug.

PSP 1000: S-Cell fights back.

Playstation 4: Yes. It launches its missiles against the targets in Russia.

PSP Go: Why attack Russia? Aren't they our friends now?

Playstation 4: Because S-Cell knows the Russian counter-attack will eliminate its enemies over here.

I'm telling y'all, it's the beginning of the end.

All PS3 owners are to be saved when Judgement Day arrives, so nothing to worry about :grin:

ya, its a bit of a strange one, all i can think is the millennium bug came late. hopefully there will be some sort of remedy soon, its definitely a pain

Balls. The day I decide to see what the PS3 browser is like with a mouse and keyboard, this happens.

The browser works fine btw. I'm using it now.

Am I right in assuming that recently synched trophies are ok? Luckily I did mine yesterday.

The only problem I've had with the browser is the lack of widescreen. Everything just seems a little small when cramped into that little space. That said, I have my PS3 hooked up to my monitor, so its pretty much irrelevant to me.

My PS3 browser has way slower loading times than my PC, plus with a controller it's cumbersome to navigate so I never bother.

The interface is quite limiting and not even slightly practical either.

I like the PS3 web browser.

I probably should have mentioned I've always used a Keyboard and mouse with it. Its next to useless with the controller.

Those of you with stocky 'Stations should be in the clear now. The PS3's inner turmoil has corrected itself.

Thats great, how dya find out, just turning it on?

Nope, I have a slim these days so was unaffected. Loads of users on another forum have given it a try and say everything's back to normal, though — your PS3 will think it's February 28th, but just set the time via the 'net and it'll be fine.

From joystiq.com

We've apparently made it through the worst of the storm, friends. We've received a number of tips informing us that the internal clock bug which has been plaguing systems for the past 24 hours had been fixed, rendering all games playable once more. We tempted fate shortly after receiving these reports by testing out a few of our PS3 Phat units, and can confirm that they're running games just fine.

The extent of the damage incurred during the blackout is unknown, but will certainly surface in the next few hours. No Joystiq staffers lost any of their hard-earned trophy data, but we're an awfully small sample group for a problem that affected every living being on Earth. We'll be updating this page as we know more -- click past the jump for additional information.

Q. Is it safe to turn on my PS3 now?

A. Right now, it appears the answer is "yes." The PlayStation Network is online and fully functional for owners of the PS3 Phat system, and games appear to be running problem-free.

Q. Do I have to download a firmware update?

A. Nope. It should just fix itself automatically, whether you're online or not.

Q. My trophy data for (insert game name here) is gone!

A. Protip: If you lost any trophy data during the downtime, there may be a way to salvage it. Start the game for which you're trying to restore trophies. This should create a trophy data set on your PS3, which you can sync with the server. Our Heavy Rain trophies had vanished, but this trick brought them back from the dead.

Q. The time and date on my PS3 are wrong. How do I fix it?

A. Under Settings on the XMB, and under the Time/Date settings, you should be able to set your console to automatically sync the time and date via the internet.

Nearly shit myself when I saw 'Borderlands 0%' It was all good though when I synced my Trophies. Apart from a couple of DLC trophies that I obviously had not synced before the crash. Weird how its just Borderlands that was affected for me.

Weird how its just Borderlands that was affected for me.

Was it the only game you've played since around 11:45PM on Sunday? That would probably explain it.

Incidentally, try quitting out of the game and starting it up again. It's possible your un-synched DLC Trophies might magically appear again, although I'm not making any guarantees.

Was it the only game you've played since around 11:45PM on Sunday? That would probably explain it.

Incidentally, try quitting out of the game and starting it up again. It's possible your un-synched DLC Trophies might magically appear again, although I'm not making any guarantees.

Yeah it was, I'm pretty sure Heavy Rain was out of the machine Sunday morning,

I'll try that for the DLC trophies.

EDIT: The Trophies just popped when I fast travelled to the General Knoxx DLC.

Edited by MATtheHAT

I've missed the whole error-hysteria due to an incredible busy schedule, so no freak-outs for me. I'll hold be holding my breath when I boot my PS3 up tonight, even though the issue is resolved.

Anyways, it shows how fragile technology can be. But all's well that ends well.

On the train to work the Metro Newspaper had the following front page headline: "PS3 MELTDOWN HITS MILLIONS". As with all newspapers, they had no clue about what was going on or that the problem had fixed itself by the time the paper was out.