NEurope
Stocka

Majora's Mask

Hmm actually it seems that it could have been Skull Kid who he was looking for, in fact this makes the most sense after reading this...

http://www.zeldauniverse.net/forums/general-zelda/5563-links-search-for-skull-kid-in-majoras-mask.html

I was always wondering if it was Navi or Skull Kid but, after reading that and thinking about it, Skull Kid makes the most sense.

Besides the facts exposed in S.C.G's link, Link searching for Skull Kid make perfect sense if we consider the "hidden" theme of the game.

OOT's theme was the path to adulthood (I think Miyamoto confirmed that in an interview): you start the adventure in a peaceful village among a child-like race protected by a old creature, all acting like your family. Then you have to leave and explore a vast and dangerous world, you make friends (especially girls, introducing some child love), grow suddenly to adult size, your perception of girls evolved, you can enter the previously forbidden Gerudo valley (sexuality), you come back to previously peaceful places to see them heavily altered (lost of childhood innocence),...

I think MM has the completely opposite theme: a quest to find the lost childhood.

Link has grown too fast in OOT because of his quest and now he's back in a child body but with a adult mind. It fits the theme of masks since Link's child body itself act like a mask, hiding the adult inside. The masks can also be the metaphoric masks you wear when you are adult to hide what you really are, something childs don't do.

Skull Kid, which Link left in the Lost Woods (symbol of puberty?), can be seen as Link alter-ego and a symbol of Link abandonned childhood. Skull Kid act like a kid, with all the cruelty they can show. Link and Skull Kid being two sides of a same coin is also shown with Talt and Tael (opposite colors and one for each character) and the fierce deity mask (the child with Majora's mask gives it to you saying something like "you play the good guy, I play the bad guy").

Children are also very present in MM's world: the bombers, the elder goron's son, Deku King's daughter, Deku's butler lost son, mummy guy's daughter, the Zora eggs, Kafei (turned into child),... It's probably possible to relate many of them to some kind of symbolism.

There is also those children in the moon who play hide-and-seek and I believe are symbolizing the inner child of Link which he finally found in the end.

Not that it matters but in the Manga it is Navi he is looking for. I always thought she was the one he was after when I played it aswell. Personally I think the guy over at ZU is just over thinking the situation.

EDIT: Some people on G-Faqs were discussing this and some had this to say.

A) He's looking for a friend that left him. Navi leaves Link in the Temple o' Time at the end of OoT.

B) There is a fairy sound after this scene in MM.

C) He's looking in the lost woods. Navi comes from the Deku Tree, and Saria is a Sage so looking for her doesn't make sense.

D) Link was looking upwards while riding, and he won't find a kokiri up high.

It was confirmed in an interview that he was looking for Navi, so there's really no point in debating over this.

Im not sure what interview the 2nd quote was speaking of but the 1st quote makes some very good points.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

I was never quite clear on who he was searching for but I kind of assumed it was Navi too.

@Deathborn: Nice post! Lots of symbolism and stuff I never thought of before.

I always thought it was obvious it was Navi aswell, and agreed about DeathBorn, made me see OOT in a different way.

God what an idiot I am. I forgot the cardinal rule of Zelda games always collect the Boss Heart Piece first. Beat the 2nd Boss (which was very easy I thought) and then got the mask first damnit! lol

God what an idiot I am. I forgot the cardinal rule of Zelda games always collect the Boss Heart Piece first. Beat the 2nd Boss (which was very easy I thought) and then got the mask first damnit! lol

Ha ha, people are always petrified of missing the heart container that they daren't go near the blue portal before picking it up. I guess you'll have to either reach the boss room again, or go back to the first day and walk in the temple for a free warp to the boss (where you have to kill it again).

I remember back in the day on the N64 when I used my Xploder cheat cartridge, which I bought for Banjo Kazooie (fly anywhere, allowing to fly up and get the ice key, as well as get other eggs and whatnot). I made it so I could use any item anywhere, including the Fierce Deity mask (which makes you huge by the way, and unable to go through doors), and the giant's mask (which hangs leaving link's head cocked backwards and a beam of blue light shining out - epic shoop da woop homage). I particularly liked the levitate ability as it let you go anywhere, so I could see slightly hidden areas or distant background pieces that they never expected you to reach. I liked doing silly things like that. :p

I did that once in OoT, I somehow forget to pick up the heart piece from the Forest Temple. I was searching every where for the last heart piece and I decide to get the dungeons and there it was in the Forest Temple.

Also, I don't think Link was searching for Skull Kid, he didn't know him really. Not enough to go looking for him. It was definitely Navi he was searching for.

So if I warp there after resetting and kill him again I should be able to get it?

So if I warp there after resetting and kill him again I should be able to get it?

Yeah you should be. I dunno how it will work exactly with MM but in one of my play throughs of OoT I purposefully didn't pick up the heart and went straight for the warp just to see what would happen. Nothing at all happened, lol. I just walked back through the dungeon and got it.

Yeah you should be. I dunno how it will work exactly with MM but in one of my play throughs of OoT I purposefully didn't pick up the heart and went straight for the warp just to see what would happen. Nothing at all happened, lol. I just walked back through the dungeon and got it.

I think it works near enough the same as Ocarina, i think i did it once. Only difference is that the boss has to be done again, but thats it really.

I think it works near enough the same as Ocarina, i think i did it once. Only difference is that the boss has to be done again, but thats it really.

and that was a problem with MM.. why should you have to do the boss again..Besides that the time aspect was very well thought out

yeah, i always thought it was navi link was looking for.

the skull kid argument kinda works, but the problem is, the skull kid had no real close bond to link, and the level of annalysis needed to think skull kid is a little ott.

I never could make up my mind if it was Navi or Saria Link was looking for.

and that was a problem with MM.. why should you have to do the boss again..

It's not exactly a problem though because the boss battles are fun, even more fun once you get the final mask. : peace:

It's not exactly a problem though because the boss battles are fun, even more fun once you get the final mask. : peace:

Yeh I am actually looking forward to taking the 2nd boss down again he is a really fun boss battle imo (if a bit to easy but then most Zelda bosses are). I think the 1st boss battle is harder when you do it the first time simply because quite a lot of things are happening and it took me a while figuring out what to do, but I also loved that boss very nice visual theme and music etc.

Well when I started a new game of this the other day, as the text on screen says "he was searching for a special friend" or similar, a fairy swirl noise is made, so I think it's pretty obvious that it's Navi. There wasn't a fairy on screen to cause the sound.

Yeh I am actually looking forward to taking the 2nd boss down again he is a really fun boss battle imo (if a bit to easy but then most Zelda bosses are). I think the 1st boss battle is harder when you do it the first time simply because quite a lot of things are happening and it took me a while figuring out what to do, but I also loved that boss very nice visual theme and music etc.

The goat boss was indeed awesome...easily one of my favourite Zelda bosses. Such a refreshing change.

I have finally got my hands on this game after...what?...9 years :yay:

Let the story telling commence

Yeah I've always thought it to be Navi.

And yeah, Goht is one of my favourite bosses ever, great fun!

The virtual console is selling it :heh:

I started playing this again with OOT a few days ago. Man I love it.

Sold my wii in December :/. I adore OOT just like everyone else and its prob my favourite game ever but i never played Majoras Mask. I just wish i could be bothered buying it and then selling again haha. Keep meaning to check Playtime in Leeds on the off chance that they have it but i really doubt they would.

First played this back when it came out, and didn't enjoy it much back then. Playing it on the VC and I just need to make my way in to the last dungeon, and to be honest, I'm not enjoying it. :(