Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

I'm doing some more dissertation work, and coming up really bluddy close to the end now. It's in for Wednesday, and I'm well on the way to having it all sorted by then.

I need to:

• Finish my Conclusion, which is about 1000 words
  • Go back and add a couple hundred words to my Findings
  • Go back and re-jig my Introduction
  • Proof read the lot
  • Organise my bibliography

The majority of the next few days will be spent on the organisational stuff, and making sure that it makes sense. I think it's going to be ok. :)

Gonna spend a few hours now to do some more work. I've done a fair bit today, but really want to get this out of the way now.

Apart from that, things are ok. The forum is both good and bad at the moment. There's good moments like the football thread, and of course the many good people. Then, there are the not-so-good moments where arseholes ruin it for everyone else in places like Wii Discussion. Ahh, somebody needs to crack the whip.

*whoopah*

I'm going to put on some Jose Gonzalez and work, I feel.

I'm doing some more dissertation work, and coming up really bluddy close to the end now. It's in for Wednesday, and I'm well on the way to having it all sorted by then.

I need to:

• Finish my Conclusion, which is about 1000 words
  • Go back and add a couple hundred words to my Findings
  • Go back and re-jig my Introduction
  • Proof read the lot
  • Organise my bibliography

The majority of the next few days will be spent on the organisational stuff, and making sure that it makes sense. I think it's going to be ok. :)

Gonna spend a few hours now to do some more work. I've done a fair bit today, but really want to get this out of the way now.

Apart from that, things are ok. The forum is both good and bad at the moment. There's good moments like the football thread, and of course the many good people. Then, there are the not-so-good moments where arseholes ruin it for everyone else in places like Wii Discussion. Ahh, somebody needs to crack the whip.

*whoopah*

I'm going to put on some Jose Gonzalez and work, I feel.

Your coconut thread is the best thing the forum has going right now.

What is your dissertation about? What do you even study?

Your coconut thread is the best thing the forum has going right now.

What is your dissertation about? What do you even study?

The thing is, I find a lot of things funny. I drive a lot of people mad, especially my mates, because whenever I tell stories I tend to drag them out and add in details to give the full-effect. Normally things can be summed up in a few seconds, but I like to give examples of what the situation is like, or just make it seem a bit more fun. Three people probably like that thread, and I'm two of them, but if it makes someone else laugh then it's worth it.

Well, I'm training to be a teacher, and right at the arse-end of my course now. My dissertation is on Visual Literacy, and how girls in secondary school would respond to reading a picture book. I find it interesting, but no-one else seems that bothered. I've only really talked to Ine, and my tutor about it.

The thing is, I find a lot of things funny. I drive a lot of people mad, especially my mates, because whenever I tell stories I tend to drag them out and add in details to give the full-effect. Normally things can be summed up in a few seconds, but I like to give examples of what the situation is like, or just make it seem a bit more fun. Three people probably like that thread, and I'm two of them, but if it makes someone else laugh then it's worth it.

Well, I'm training to be a teacher, and right at the arse-end of my course now. My dissertation is on Visual Literacy, and how girls in secondary school would respond to reading a picture book. I find it interesting, but no-one else seems that bothered. I've only really talked to Ine, and my tutor about it.

I definately found the thread funny. I'm keep thinking of threads similar, where I tell a story that I found amusing but doesn't have too much of a point, but chicken out.

Your dissertation sounds pretty interesting. I think I remember you mentioning teaching now you come to mention it. I'm kind of gutted I don't get to do a dissertation, I have a final year project... which I guess acts as my dissertation. I already have a few ideas of what I want to do for it.

I definately found the thread funny. I'm keep thinking of threads similar, where I tell a story that I found amusing but doesn't have too much of a point, but chicken out.

Your dissertation sounds pretty interesting. I think I remember you mentioning teaching now you come to mention it. I'm kind of gutted I don't get to do a dissertation, I have a final year project... which I guess acts as my dissertation. I already have a few ideas of what I want to do for it.

I never really shy away from making threads. But, I have looked back over a few over the years and thought "wow, that one was crap! What was I thinking?!" because usually something random triggers it off. It's just like a conversation really. As long as you're with a good bunch of people who won't give you hell for creating it, you'll be fine. So, whenever you get the urge, just do it. If it doesn't work, no bother. If it does, you'll be a God.

A dissertation is pretty interesting, but it's a lot of work as well. It's best to think of it as a collection of smaller essays under one study. A lot of people have been stressing out over it, but if you really just think of it as that, then it won't really seem as bad as it's made out to be. What you thinking of doing for your study?

Lots of words about things.

Well you now will take responsibility for rubbish threads on my part!

Well I do Games Design (...heh) and I wanted to look at accessibility in gaming. There's a decent amount of interest in this already, although not on my course (everyone just wants to make games with GUNS!), and I've always been really interested in gaming for the physically handicapped. So something along this area. I'm not sure whether to try for a project designed specifically with disability in mind, or tackle a project that deals with current trends and how they can be changed for better accessibility. Not too sure... thankfully I have a while to think about it and one of my senior lecturers is interested in the accessibility for the web... maybe I could get him on my side.

Can someone give me a bit of PC help please?

I was watching a video earlier and I tried to quit it using alt>F4 when my fingers slipped and I pressed something which has made the menus at the top of Internet explorer disappear until I hover over it (ie. where the web adress should be, but has now gone)

as well as the start icon not being visible. Any help.

Something to do with hiding icons or something if I remember rightly.

Well you now will take responsibility for rubbish threads on my part!

Well I do Games Design (...heh) and I wanted to look at accessibility in gaming. There's a decent amount of interest in this already, although not on my course (everyone just wants to make games with GUNS!), and I've always been really interested in gaming for the physically handicapped. So something along this area. I'm not sure whether to try for a project designed specifically with disability in mind, or tackle a project that deals with current trends and how they can be changed for better accessibility. Not too sure... thankfully I have a while to think about it and one of my senior lecturers is interested in the accessibility for the web... maybe I could get him on my side.

Haha, you take responsibility for yourself. :D Be Brave. If you think it'll be good, then post it.

That's a really interesting idea. I think there are others who do Games Design on here, so maybe enquire about some advice from them, too? That's really interesting about games for the handicapped, but wouldn't it have to be narrowed down specifically for a particular handicap? Accessibility is pretty big, even with Nintendo's strategy about including everyone...even though many "hardcore" gamers feel that they're now being excluded, heh.

Yeah, getting as many people as you can on side is a really good thing to be able to do. The thing is, especially with important projects, is that other people will be vying for tutor's time as well, and you always get people who "hog" the tutor, so to speak. So, best thing to do is get in there early, and keep the channels open with them.

Can someone give me a bit of PC help please?

I was watching a video earlier and I tried to quit it using alt>F4 when my fingers slipped and I pressed something which has made the menus at the top of Internet explorer disappear until I hover over it (ie. where the web adress should be, but has now gone)

as well as the start icon not being visible. Any help.

Something to do with hiding icons or something if I remember rightly.

You might be in full screen mode, try pressing F11. If that just makes things worse press it again to toggle it off.

Haha, you take responsibility for yourself. :D Be Brave. If you think it'll be good, then post it.

That's a really interesting idea. I think there are others who do Games Design on here, so maybe enquire about some advice from them, too? That's really interesting about games for the handicapped, but wouldn't it have to be narrowed down specifically for a particular handicap? Accessibility is pretty big, even with Nintendo's strategy about including everyone...even though many "hardcore" gamers feel that they're now being excluded, heh.

Yeah, getting as many people as you can on side is a really good thing to be able to do. The thing is, especially with important projects, is that other people will be vying for tutor's time as well, and you always get people who "hog" the tutor, so to speak. So, best thing to do is get in there early, and keep the channels open with them.

Yeah I know nightwolf does it at Shef, and also Pantsu Man and StefKov are on my course. You just pointed out the main problem, it would have to be narrowed down to one disability, and that's not what I wanted. I wanted something broad that could be applied to multiple situations... which... can't be done... so I'm not too sure.

My day today was pretty good. I actually have made a dent, although small, in my final bit of work for university, concept design. I don't really liek concept that much, because I'm not confident with my drawing skills.... but we'll see. Today I finished off a nice smooth 27 framed running cycle for my character.... just, all the other animations to do! And the actual level... and menus...Hurrah!

Luckily, I love programming, and I have done all the technical side. God bless XNA. :)

I'm weeping with happiness at that video.

I have to watch GMTV every morning, and they're wanking over her, saying she's going to be huge in America?

What on earth is the fuss about...?

Has my hearing been lost overnight? Or is she just a woman with a medioce "theater" voice? :confused:

Can anyone think of anything to add to this complaint?

Dear sirs

I recently placed an order for five DS games with you, order number 2382391, with the order details.

Magic Made Fun Complete 06/04/2009 1 £4.98

The Teenage Zombies - Invasion of the Alien Brain Thingys! Complete 06/04/2009 1 £6.99

Bangai-O Spirits Complete 06/04/2009 1 £7.99

Scrabble 2009 Complete 06/04/2009 1 £14.99

Geometry Wars - Galaxies Complete 06/04/2009 1 £14.99

When I received the package I was surprised to find two of the games (Magic Made Fun and Geometry Wars Galaxies) to be in a very poor condition. It appeared as if the games were second hand. Neither of the games was sealed, but rather had a returns sticker over the opening. Both games boxes were scuffed and slightly dirty, with sticker marks and folds.

I rang up the contact centre and spoke to a customer services assistant. She explained to me that the games were brand new, but they were recalled from GAME physical shops, she stated they have never been played. I explained that I wasn't happy about the condition, and found it unacceptable (Magic Made Fun is a present for my brother) and I was concerned it did not state on the website that games may come in this kind of unacceptable condition.

The person I spoke to then said that because of the price of the games I shouldn't expect them to be in perfect condition (or words to this affect) I found this a ridiculous comment to make. The price shouldn't matter. How were the other two games below the price of Geometry Wars and Scrabble, the same price – how were these games in perfect sealed condition?

These games are advertised on the website as new, and these games simply don't fit that description. I can't even see how these games would have received this kind of damage from normal shelf wear.

I expected to be offered a replacement for the two games, the same games but in reasonable condition, but this did not happen, so I enquired about a refund and to return the games. The lady gave me a code and I have now sent them off under recorded delivery reference ----------------

You will send the postage cost of this to me along with an explanation letter within one week of receipt of this letter.

Many thanks.

Michael Jamieson.

You might be in full screen mode, try pressing F11. If that just makes things worse press it again to toggle it off.

Cheers that worked :)

Protip: Don't play the Tranquility Lane sequence in Fallout 3 until the small hours of the morning if you're of a nervous disposition like me. I can't sleeep T_T

Yeah that part freaked me out, especially when I tried killing the girl. Weird stuff. Now all you need to do (if you haven't done so) is go to the Dunwich building and a certain devils bridge :shakehead

Can anyone think of anything to add to this complaint?

Can't really think of anything else to add, though like Happenstance, I would try to reword the last bit about postage, as now it comes across as a bit rude I think?

Also, in your letter you wrote "(or words to this affect)", which I think should be 'effect'.

Yeah, that last sentence is too rude and will just piss them off, meaning they wont do anything for you. Be more grateful for the person reading your complaint, and use the word compensation rather than specific things you want for your troubles. They'll decide what you'll get, whether you like it or not.

How were the other two games below the price of Geometry Wars and Scrabble, the same price – how were these games in perfect sealed condition?

Nobody wanted them at all, thus they weren't put on display, touched etc and moved around.

These games are advertised on the website as new, and these games simply don't fit that description. I can't even see how these games would have received this kind of damage from normal shelf wear.

They are new, they have not been played. You don't complain that a baby comes out covered in goo do you :p

Made at factory > packed > delivered via a lorry (ie crazy) driver > Game sorting centre > unpacked > shelved > made as part of order > sent off to store via lorry driver > recieved and put on stockroom shelves > eventually gutted and put on actual shelves > general touching, picking up, dropping and eaten by customers > collected again by staff and packed for returns > sent off to warehouse > (if Game and the gameplay has different warehouses then transferred there) put on shelves > recieved your order and packaged and sent off.

Its a long crazy life a game lives. Plus isn't Magic in a cardboard box, didn't we learn anything from the pre-GC era that cardboard game boxes erradicate quickly?

Plus the last part is extremely dickish. Nobody likes being told what to do, and it won't help you. You can ask (although putting a timeline on it is still dickish, they have other issues and anything like extra payments will have to be authorised by some hoy paloy "I don't have time for you customer services minions" middle-management prick). In fact in my experience they tend to send out giftcards which yes, don't replace the money you spent but its often in excess of what you actually spent anyway.

And of course the expression "you get what you paid for" :p

In fact with Geometry Wars you probably would have been able to go into Game with your invoice during a quiet period and politely explain that you ordered it for a present for someone else (ie lie) but the box is damaged, would they mind swapping it for another? Chances are they'll understand if you're nice enough. They have dozens of the things spare.

Well, that avoided doing actual work.

Edited by Ashley

I think its understandable and maybe its years of dickish customers that im taking the side of gameplay a bit more, particularly due to the way ReZ structured his complaint (and really, does anybody use a box?). And the whole "its not new" thing annoys me because it is.

I'm just trying to show the other side/avoid uni work.

Cool, cheers guys, I wondered if the ending was a bit too bad ass to handle. I'll change it.

Totally disagree with you Ashley though. I'm buying from an online shop which means the products shouldn't even be touched like that or on display. No disclaimer on the website stating they might get products from GAME shelves, and how does Joe Public (e.g. me) know that they are in tandem/tandum/thandim/tandhum/tandymn with GAME....you know (assumably) because you worked for them! You can't argue thats acceptable.

I dunno about you but I don't want skanky games, I want all mine in mint condition personally.

Wurd.

Cool, cheers guys, I wondered if the ending was a bit too bad ass to handle. I'll change it.

Totally disagree with you Ashley though. I'm buying from an online shop which means the products shouldn't even be touched like that or on display. No disclaimer on the website stating they might get products from GAME shelves, and how does Joe Public (e.g. me) know that they are in tandem/tandum/thandim/tandhum/tandymn with GAME....you know (assumably) because you worked for them! You can't argue thats acceptable.

I dunno about you but I don't want skanky games, I want all mine in mint condition personally.

Wurd.

I thought everyone knew Game bought Gameplay years ago? Im sure it happened before I even worked there.

Plus thinking about things practically, can they have things just sat around waiting for someone to order? No, its an awful waste of time and a potential huge loss. Moving them around is the best way to ensure they sell.

Good luck with it though :) But I would strongly reccomend changing the last part. As said there is nothing worse than a customer telling you what to do. Frankly the Customer Assistant person who recieves your letter will probably be quite disheartened with humanity anyway. They have no power. They're there to help but they recieve complains/demands/shouting from customers and any changes will need to be authorised. They lack any sense of power and that can be quite humiliating. Try and be friendly. Don't you get annoyed when clients ring you up and complain to you about something your company did which had nothing to do with you personally and then go about telling you how to fix it?

I'm leaning towards Ashley's side as well. The game is unplayed, so therefore is actully new. The box being scuffed is out of their power, they probably didn't even know.

I dont think that they shouldnt do anything about it, but being arsey to them certainly wont help. Sounds like a siple case of kindly telling them what happened and them fixing it, which they will probably do if ReZ is nice about it. As Ash said though, going into the store would've been an easier solution.

Plus i doubt your brother would care if the box was scuffed. He still gets the game at the end of the day. Much ado about nothing i guess. But each to their own, i'm not much of a complainer.

The one time i have complained though was to Disneyland. My g/f got bitten by bed bugs while staying in one of their hotels. Now that is unforgiveable, and we rightly gave them hell for it. Got upgraded to a suite at the time but have also got a free stay in the Disneyland hotel valid for up to two years, with free passes into the park for a whole weekend. Mwaahaha! To be fair, we could have took them to the cleaners for that, reported it to some official source and got them in a hell of a lot of trouble. Hotels can be shut down for bed bugs, especially when they are well known like Disneyland. We could've gone to the press and all sorts, which i politely made clear to them. It was a masterful complaint, full of tact, and it paid off.