NEurope

http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=10716

Man!ac also reveal an exclusive Wii game from TKQ: De Blob. De Blob is based on a free PC game of the same name - of which you can try here. De Blob is a physics-based puzzle game. According to Joost van Dongen, the lead programmer of the PC Game:

"It is a 3D game in which the player controls a ball of paint rolling through the city. The ball can absorb coloured NPC’s to become larger and change its colour. With the paint, the player can then proceed to paint the entire city. Almost everything is paintable: buildings, trees, cars and using the paint trace even the ground."

The game requires you to do colour matching and colour mixing (need orange paint? Get Red and Yellow). The PC Game is fairly basic, and it looks like it will be expanded for the Wii. The graphics have also recieved a massive overhaul from the free PC game - thanks to a bigger budget provided by THQ. De Blob is due for release in 2008.

Scan:

img009_f0a1.jpg

I suppose you would control it by holding the controller sidewards (like a NES controller) and tilting it. In other news, I am über hyped for this game, because I loved the freeware PC version, and it appears that this version is going to be greatly expanded compared to that version.

Looks well tasty. I'd put in my pre-order right now if it were possible.

Looks wicked, but how the hell does it work?!

It says in the article that you roll De Blob around with the nunchuk (I hope they mean the joystick not the gyros but I doubt it because they don't mention either) and aim at targets with the Wiimote.

Officially announced:

AGOURA HILLS, Calif.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–THQ Inc. (NASDAQ:THQI) today announced de Blob™, currently in development exclusively for the Wii™ and Nintendo DS™, is scheduled to spread color and fun to gamers worldwide in February 2008. Developed for the Wii by THQ’s Australia-based studio, Blue Tongue Entertainment, and Nintendo DS by THQ’s Helixe studio, de Blob’s innovative style features ground and aerial maneuvers and color-spray gameplay that take full advantage of the Wii Remote™ and DS Stylus™. Players will take on the form of de Blob in a bouncing battle to explore, liberate and revitalize Chroma City, which has been drained of all color and life by the evil I.N.K.T. Corporation.

“In the spirit of some of Nintendo’s most innovative properties, de Blob’s simple game mechanic will be fun and easy for core and casual gamers to learn and reveal unbelievably addicting levels of depth and complexity as they progress through the game,†said Kelly Flock, executive vice president of worldwide publishing, THQ. “We look forward to unveiling de Blob at next week’s E3 press event.â€

“With de Blob’s innovative control scheme, a swing of the Wii Remote or flick of the DS Stylus sends de Blob ricocheting and swinging through the city with splashes of color in his wake,†said Steve Dauterman, senior vice president of product development. “Gamers will be able to liberate the lifeless city of Chroma and create a collaboration of energy, music and color that is a reflection of each player’s gaming style.â€

About de Blob

de Blob is an action puzzle title that allows players to explore and liberate an alien city from the evil, monochromatic I.N.K.T. Corporation that has taken over the city and outlawed all color and fun from daily life. Playing as de Blob, gamers will embark on a quest to re-animate the city of Chroma, and bring spunk and character back to the oppressed, by splattering buildings, landmarks, and citizens with color. de Blob features an intricate single player campaign as well as a multiplayer experience that supports up to four competitors via split screen. The game was conceived for the Windows PC by a team of nine students studying Game Design & Development at Utrecht University’s School of the Arts in the Netherlands. At the time of conception, sections of Utrecht were being rebuilt and the principal task in creating the game was to convey how the railroad station area of Utrecht would look in 10 years. The city of Utrecht has since adopted the character of de Blob to be its mascot.

This part sounds rather odd:

and bring spunk and character back to the oppressed, by splattering buildings, landmarks, and citizens

Then again, American English doesn't have the 3rd definition of spunk (the definition that came to my mind first)

and bring spunk and character back to the oppressed, by splattering buildings, landmarks, and citizens

Bukkake: The Game confirmed!

Tagline: It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.

I actually went out and downloaded the free PC version when I heard about this, and I found it quite enjoyable. A great way to waste an hour or 12.

ign has a hands-on of this game, looks cool!

It's probably just my sick mind, but after watching the video i can't stop thinking of Mr Hanky the Christmas Poo.

The blob looks strange to me... the PC tech demo blob has so much more character than this... uh... rabbit monster ball thing...

Maybe I'm just nitpicking though...

I literally came when I saw that vid. I'm in love with that game. Consider it purchased from me.

Looks interesting but rather boring at the same time.

Looks too bland, repetitive and boring. I don't think I would even finish the first level.

I think it seems really nice and relaxing. Im seeing a lot of these games coming out for the Wii as I can just pick it up, have fun for like 20mins and enjoy its happy yet chilled out atmosphere.

Lovely style, no question. I wonder how the gameplay remains interesting.