N-Europe

How Forgiving Are You?

Fierce_LiNk

Just a question I thought I'd throw out to the boards, and the first thread I've made in a long time.

How forgiving or unforgiving are you?

Have there ever been situations where somebody has done something horrible to you, and you've been strong enough to forgive them? Have there been times where you just couldn't?

Be honest.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can usually forgive people if they do something thats not that bad really, but if what the person did is pretty bad i find it very hard to forgive them. I hold grudges, which I don't like doing, but I can't help it. Though I only hold these if what was done towards me/someone else was terrible and not asked for.

there's definitely a point where it just gets impossible to forgive someone

If someone pisses me off, I can really hold a grudge for a long, long time. But if someone comes to admit they were wrong, apologise and make amends, then I'll forgive them no worries.

I don't see the point in just forgiving people as a virtue, and there are some things I can't imagine ever forgiving someone for.

You guys are so vague. :heh:

At which point does it become impossible to forgive someone? I mean, what have they done to you that is "unforgiveable"?

Umm, something like the guy that jumped me and did me in for no reason whatsoever other than the fact he was pissed and felt like doing it and in the doing so missing my exam. Him I could never forgive.

Things like that are unforgivable.

But when silly little school girls never forgive each other because they both had the same hair style or something utterly retarded like that it's ridiculous.

I'm usually very forgiving if the person truly feels sorry.

For instance in primary school we played a stupid trust game. One had to close his eyes and the other would lead him to the wall and back.

"And it's no competition!"

Well of course it was a competition. So much was clear for all the boys in class - no way was I going to end up last.

We were in pairs, I was together with a foreign girl who could but rarely spoke. She was too afraid to let me lead so I was the one closing the eyes. "Tell me when I'm close to the wall."

I didn't have a tight grip around her hand and at some point I wasn't sure if she was still there.

"You still there?" - No response.

"You still there?" - No response.

I kept running with my eyes closed.

Well she'll surely shout before I run into the wall, even she can manage a simple "Philipp, stop!" I thought and I was wrong.

Ended up with a broken nose.

She was crying and asked me to forgive her and I did.

However, I learned a few valueable lessons that day.

Don't follow blindly, don't obey stupid rules, don't trust anyone who didn't earn your trust.

These rules actually developed slowly after that accident and I still live by them.

Therefore I find it quite hard to trust other people but I'll do almost everything for the people I like and who earned my trust.

However if someone disappoints me, he'll lose my trust although I'll still forgive him.

Guest Jordan

I can be extremely forgiving if the person means alot to me. However, you only get a certain amount of chances with me normally, if you over step the mark, i will never forgive the person. Ever.

Hense why I hate my older brother.

Life is too short not to forgive.

I have the same opinion as Platty here. No point dwelling on things........

Maybe it's because I don't care about things too much, but I forgive people for quite a lot of things, and in some respects expect that back........but we don't all think the same though. :indeed:

Well i'm sort of forgiving. Someone kneed my in the balls for no reason (well it was a laugh for their sake really) it took me a few days to forgive him, but i did.

Sometimes i want to hold a grudge against people like i did with that guy, but most of the time it usually just wears off and your friends again.

You guys are so vague. :heh:

At which point does it become impossible to forgive someone? I mean, what have they done to you that is "unforgiveable"?

I'm very forgiving. I suppose it's a good thing that I am, as it is part of what makes me a nice guy, buy I suppose in a way, it's a flaw in my personality.

To answer you're question in the quote, for it would actually take quite a lot for something to be unforgivable; and I mean a lot. It would probably have top involve something which has postively ruined my life or someone from my families life. This has never happened.