NEurope

(This thread gets comandeered by uss so often...you COULD just come on MSN)

Yes. Seriously, it's hard to find the willpower to keep coming back to this thread when it seems to be an endless masturbation session over the same bands that goes on for pages and pages!

The amount of times I've wanted to make a "Music Thread where you're not allowed to talk about Lady GaGa, Bjork or Tori Amos, or britney spears" is scary.

Elbow haven't clicked with me yet. His voice'll need getting used to. School Of Seven Bells are cool, I liked them live a lot.

Elbow make me more depressed when I'm already depressed. Precisely what music really shouldn't do :P I would genuinely put them on the flipside of the coin to bands like Royksopp in the sense that you listen to both when you just want to sit and chill the fuck out and forget about the world, only one makes you smile and the other makes you a glum bastard.

Got the lineup for the Blackfield Festival! Bands I know are bolded;

VNV Nation, ASP, Apotygma Berzerk, Diary of Dreams, Projekt Pitchfork, Mesh, Suicide Commando, IAMX, Letzte Instanz, Zeraphine, Rotersand, Faun, Staubkind, End of Green, Destroid, Frozen Plasma, Fetish:Mensch, Kloq, Santa Hates You, Dope Stars Inc.

... Spread over two days all on one stage one after the other, and with a 'Warm Up Showcase' the day before it starts with Seabound, Absurd Minds and Soman... It's crazy cool. €76 for, what, 23 bands and camping? Just got to find a cheap flight and work out the tenting kinks and precisely whom will go with me and BLAM! I'm raving all weekend in june, then returning to see Brand New straight after.

Anyone here know any of these bands? *looks in Somme's general direction*

I know IAMX.

He's pretty damn good although I've only listened to his latest album (Kingdom of Welcome Addiction) once and then it wasn't a proper listen.

Which reminds me of the song The Tears by Robots In Disguise which is in my opinion a fantastic pop song

Which mixtape master compiled Dark Was The Night?

That's the question on my lips.

The two guys play on some of the songs. They're brothers. I think one is on the Antony song.

---

I thought they were pretty boring. Very little stage presence

I suppose, I liked the OTT guitar, for whatever reason.

Been scouring the endless archives of MP3.com in search of some new music. So crap that finding anything decent is hard. And because my tastes are so varied, I'll be at it for ages trying to find a decent amount of new stuff to listen to. Yet, I have found some decent stuff. Time Lapse Lifeline by Maria Taylor is a nice little song. Very laid back and reminds me of someone else but I can't put my finger on it. Sounds like the kind of thing that'd be commonplace on TV shows like the OC and such, which isn't a bad thing as I enjoyed those programs for their music (probably more so than the actual shows).

Also found Vertigo by Starmistica which is an instrumental piece, with guitar leading the way, and like the other song, it's very laid back and easy to listen to. Exactly the kind of thing I want to listen to on a lazy sunday afternoon/evening. Will continue to delve deeper to find other stuff but some of the site isn't loading so progress is slow. Should really use the likes of Last.FM to find stuff.

My mum bought me Taylor Swift's album after I said I was abnormally attracted to one of the singles. I am partial to a bit of crappy country pop. :D

Interesting to know she wrote all the songs.

I wanna live like common people.....

Played it on Singstar and have not got it out of my head since =P

Love this song, but does anyone else think the video is a little....."brave"?

And his eyes are actually like that, it's not some hip new fashion statement.

My favourite song by them at the minute, Drones:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio
Edited by Goafer

Quite enjoyed that song/video. Funky eyes too. Always thought that people with eyes of different colours looked interesting.

Quite enjoyed that song/video. Funky eyes too. Always thought that people with eyes of different colours looked interesting.

Yeah, I'd love to have different colour eyes, but alas I was born with 2 blue eyes and cosmetic contacts are remarkably vain. Apparently (according to the gospel of Wikipedia) he was bullied as a child for it though.

I like that video since it kind of has the message of "careful how much you piss off the public, because it's not hard to bring it all down", but I'm surprised that video got made/shown on MTV. Plus blowing up whole cities is obviously wrong, but the video at least shows violent rebellion as a last resort: "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable".

Love this song, but does anyone else think the video is a little....."brave"?

And his eyes are actually like that, it's not some hip new fashion statement.

My favourite song by them at the minute, Drones:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Tim McIllrath stole my thing. He's older than me, but he still stole it from me. Although, his are the wrong way around; blue on the left, brown on the right. Mine are the opposite, and superior, way around :indeed:

Good song though. Great live too, if you ever get the chance I highly recommend them. My favourite Rise Against song though has to be:

Injection

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Narrr you want some older stuff like this :P

Broken English:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Love them on record and live. One of my favourite bands :)

Edited by Davey_T

I thought for a horrible second that the song above was going to be a cover of Broken English by Marianne Faithful. Thankfully it wasn't (a heavy sound wouldn't have suited the song at all!).

I have never heard Rise Against before tonight. The song I just confused for another I couldn't care less about, very generic, but the song with the video was a bit better/more interesting. Still stopped half-way through though. :p

Not really my thing though.

----

My song of the moment;

Probably one of my favourite Portishead songs. On good speakers and loud, the moment the beat kicks in is stunning.

I cannot stop listening to this. I absolutely love the tone of the one that sings during the verses (at the start), and they beat when it starts. I remember avidly trying not to like this when it came out (because they annoy me) but it's just caught up with me. Massive whores.

I love the fact the video says "NOTHING CAN GET IN MY WAY OF YOU, EVEN A CRIPPLED WOMAN. BITCH".

VNV Nation, ASP, Apotygma Berzerk, Diary of Dreams, Projekt Pitchfork, Mesh, Suicide Commando, IAMX, Letzte Instanz, Zeraphine, Rotersand, Faun, Staubkind, End of Green, Destroid, Frozen Plasma, Fetish:Mensch, Kloq, Santa Hates You, Dope Stars Inc. Soman

Anyone here know any of these bands? *looks in Somme's general direction*

I've bolded the bands that I know. My housemates are quite into those bands, and although I couldn't name you songs by them from memory I have listened to them quite a lot. Not the kind of bands I'd listen to alone but they have their rightful place in party playlists.

I've friends who are seeing IAMX next Sunday. They've seen them before and said their pretty good live.

Edited by somme

Been listening to and currently am listening to the song below. So good. Very relaxing as is much of her other work. Tempted to go out and get the album this song is on. Just need to find it as I doubt Morrisons will have it. Bad thing about living in the town I'm in: No music stores. Anyways, enjoy the song.

Maria Taylor - Orchids

That song was ok, Ganepark. Very inoffensive, but a bit boring (personally).

I'm really in love with Micachu atm. There's some kinda mysterious, ghostly, alien element that sets them apart from other people..

Sorry I took ages to reply! :heart:

And I'll share some songs with you in return. Songs that have taken my fancy lately..

Smashing Pumpkins - The Beginning is the End is the Beginning

Good song. :) I enjoyed it, definately. I need to watch watchmen. (or read it)

Dan le sac vs scroobius pip - Thou Shalt Always Kill

I thought it was very funny! I liked the line "Thou shalt not make generic repetive music, Thou shalt not make generic repetive music"

or something like that. :p

Prodigy - Omen

Once again I couldn't embed the version I wanted to (the album version) as we peasants in the UK can't watch official music videos anymore. This'll have to do. Once again I'm several months behind but still love this track.

Awesome, I love this song. It has grown on me a lot after a few plays at school on the TV! :D

Frank Turner - Long Live The Queen

Great song, may check out more stuff but that may take some time as it goes on my ridiculously long list! :p

Elbow - The Bones Of You

I like Elbow. :) Only listened to the new album a couple of times, though! I don't remember the songs (except grounds for divorce) but I like this one!

And now for something COMPLETELY different!

Thoughts? If you recognize it - a section of it is used for the intro for Charlie Brooker's Newswipe. Oddly catchy and happy. I really like it. :D

Well that is just relaxing. :grin:

____

Oddly I knew more Tori Amos songs than I thought!

Opeth and Mastodon are on the cards for today. Brilliance. : peace:

I listened to the first 2-3 songs off Crack The Skye by Mastodon this morning. They were alright. I've yet to hear any studio metal that really grabs my attention in a good way though.

Went to see Bloc Party with Foals at the Olympia last night

Missed the first support band (Wet paint)

Thought Foals were good but harboured by bad sound quality (Far too much bass) and too short a set (No Hummer?) RSP was gut though.

But Bloc Party were sublime!! One of the best gigs I've been too, top form, especially compared to their Reading slot last year.

Highlights? Song for Clay. Modern Love. Ares. Flux. (Lasers <3)

Lack of Biko was a lil disappointing but I'll live. Great night, if very hot and painful :D

Oh yeah and Kele in a Easter Bunny costume = pure fucking win :D

Went to see Bloc Party with Foals at the Olympia last night

Missed the first support band (Wet paint)

Thought Foals were good but harboured by bad sound quality (Far too much bass) and too short a set (No Hummer?) RSP was gut though.

But Bloc Party were sublime!! One of the best gigs I've been too, top form, especially compared to their Reading slot last year.

Highlights? Song for Clay. Modern Love. Ares. Flux. (Lasers <3)

Lack of Biko was a lil disappointing but I'll live. Great night, if very hot and painful :D

Oh yeah and Kele in a Easter Bunny costume = pure fucking win :D

I was there on Saturday night. Was my 10th time in seeing Bloc Party, they never disappoint. Amazing show. Foals were good too. No sounds problems on saturday for them.

Olympia is an arse to get home from tho.

Narrr you want some older stuff like this :P

Broken English:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Love them on record and live. One of my favourite bands :)

If it's older songs your wanting, it has to be:

Like The Angel

Broadcast Yourself
Audio