NEurope

Basically decided to start trying more music. Can you lot name a song by an artist that you think will draw me in for more of their stuff - don't care if it's cliche or overplayed or anything. Whatever you think will draw me to said artist/band. I'm willing to try a lot of new stuff this time around so give it your best shot. And please, only one song per artist, but as many artists as you please.

I know you actually said you liked "Black Jacks" by Girls Aloud ageeees ago when I put it on some list thing, but try the entire of "Tangled Up". Try "Bubble Pop Electric" - Gwen Stefani (The first album is so good), "Love At First Sight" - Kylie (One of my personal favourites...) or "Don't Let Me Stop You" - Kelly Clarkson (Her best track, in my opinion).

I'm aware you'll probably try none of them...but I thought I'd at least attempt to suggest something. :)

Edited by Slaggis

Basically decided to start trying more music. Can you lot name a song by an artist that you think will draw me in for more of their stuff - don't care if it's cliche or overplayed or anything. Whatever you think will draw me to said artist/band. I'm willing to try a lot of new stuff this time around so give it your best shot. And please, only one song per artist, but as many artists as you please.

PJ Harvey

I love it. It feels like one of Polly's most heart-felt songs, for some reason. A brilliant opener to one of her best albums. Although it's subtley different to the rest of her stuff.

Tegan and Sara

Probably not the best version of the song to listen to, but I find that the album version is too famous nowadays. And the RAC remix (the famously good one) feels like its been squeezed to death through overplay. This version feels lovely - slower and more calculated. And the guitar defines relief next to me - consistently there.

EDIT:

Listen to Nineteen by Tegan and Sara on Spotify instead. It's the song that got me into them.

Edited by chairdriver

k, gonna spotify them all now.

Ooo and "What's A Girl To Do" - Bat For Lashes...I'm loving it at the moment. It's kind of soothing. Oh and "Tape Song" - The Kills.

Edited by Slaggis

I'll start you off with five people I don't think you'd normally give ago! : peace: I'll think off more later!

Kashiwa Daisuke - Requiem

Jenny Wilson - like a fading Rainbow

I wanted "the path" song but I could not find it on Youtube. :)

Sophia Somajo - Irony

Telepathe - So fine

Neko Case - This Tornado Loves you

Ooo and "What's A Girl To Do" - Bat For Lashes...I'm loving it at the moment. It's kind of soothing.

She played a brilliant upbeat version of that at the gig - lovely song.

I love her album, and that song.

People Got Alotta Nerve and I'm An Animal are two of the best IMO.

Father Lucifer by Tori Amos

The bridge, where 3 different voices (all her own) converge then divulge, intertwining is my favourite music moment ever.

She was pretty messed up/drug-fueled during the making of the album it's from. Boys For Pele, but this seemed to allow her to create a true masterpiece of composition and songwriting.

Oh and "Tape Song" - The Kills.

A stunning song.

U.R.A. Fever and Last Day Of Magic by the Kills are essentials too.

I much prefer Keep On Your Mean Side to Midnight Boom.

Not got into the second album at all, for whatever reason.

Remind me why I adore this?

I love 6 minutes.

Although some parts are really jarring to listen to.

I much prefer Keep On Your Mean Side to Midnight Boom.

Not got into the second album at all, for whatever reason.

Yeah, KoYMS is better, but Midnight Boom feels more essential.

Like, you can listen to only Midnight Boom and know most of their bag, whereas if you only listened to KoYMS it would feel like you had only explored a relatively small pocket of their bag.

Right. So far.

The track I think either Paj or chair posted in HWYD was awesome. Must get more Bat For Lashes.

Kelly Clarkson. Just not my type of music at all. Not bad so to speak though, there's talent there but I can't listen to it and enjoy it.

Kylie. Haha, Kylie, totally forgot how well her music sat with me. Bizarrely enjoyable pop. Do like that song, too.

Gwen Stefani. No Doubt are alright; but I'm simply not a fan of Gwen's solo efforts. Reminds me I need to get a bit of No Doubt on my iTunes.

Thanks for the suggestions regardless Haggis! :D

PJ Harvey. Not bad. Reminds me of some of Kate Bushes easier listening stuff. Quite like it.

Tegan And Sara. Nice. I like it. Will pursue.

But I'll tell you my issue with getting in to these bands. These layers you speak of all the time, how you appreciate it for x, y and z. Just seems very pretentious and that kind of in depth fan knowledge bugs me for some reason. No I don't know why. :heh: I'll try and take it for what it is; music to listen to. If I do that I find I enjoy it more.

More suggestions would be welcome! :D

A stunning song.

U.R.A. Fever and Last Day Of Magic by the Kills are essentials too.

Yes! U.R.A Fever and Tape Song are my favourites. I've not actually heard the other album, but I just realised it's on Spotify so I shall check it out.

--

Lol Dyson! Ahwell...Yay for the Kylie love. Try out the rest of Fever...if you like Love At First Sight, you should really enjoy the album. "In Your Eyes" and "Come Into My World" should sit well with you. Or even give X a try...Wow and Speakerphone are completely addictive.

Edited by Slaggis

Remind me why I adore this?

I love 6 minutes.

Although some parts are really jarring to listen to.

Because it is excellence. :D When I first listened it kind of grated on my ears but I instantly loved the song. My ventures into "noise" means this does not sound as harsh as it used to, in fact much more melodic than I orginally thought. :)

PJ Harvey. Not bad. Reminds me of some of Kate Bushes easier listening stuff. Quite like it.

I love how most good female artists take inspiration from Kate Bush, and most newer female artists/rock bands take inspiration from PJ Harvey.

"Come Into My World" should sit well with you.

The video is sublime. That is all I know.

Ooo and "What's A Girl To Do" - Bat For Lashes...I'm loving it at the moment. It's kind of soothing. Oh and "Tape Song" - The Kills.

Bat For Lashes - Another good song. I'm surprised. Shall definitely check out more Bat For Lashes.

The Kills - Nice. Quite enjoyed that.

I'll start you off with five people I don't think you'd normally give ago! : peace: I'll think off more later!

Interesting! Very much so. I do enjoy this type of music in moderation! :D

Jenny Wilson - like a fading Rainbow

I wanted "the path" song but I could not find it on Youtube. :)

I listened to The Path instead on Spotify. It was alright...didn't flow enough for me though. Too...bitty? Can't describe it. Liked the horns though!

Sophia Somajo - Irony

Eeeek, no thanks! :laughing: Really not my kinda thing. I'll admit it did get slightly better as it went on.

Telepathe - So fine

Nice. Seems like a calmer version of Crystal Castles. Just drawing similarities in the way the music sounds but not the timbre or instrumentation at all. Can't describe it but I like it!

Much more my kind of thing. I like it a lot. Kept meaning to give this a listen since I aw the album artwork, it really intrigued me. This is one of the best tracks that I've heard tonight so far. Nice one!

Guess you have a thing for female vocalists C. Bears? :D

Father Lucifer by Tori Amos

Cornflake Girl refused to sit right with me, so I went in to this one feeling apprehensive. Unfortunately I think I was right. Just doesn't flow enough for me. Not enough texture to it especially at the start. It's one of those songs that will start playing and I'll skip it because I'm fairly sure it's a song that bores me.

But I'll tell you my issue with getting in to these bands. These layers you speak of all the time, how you appreciate it for x, y and z. Just seems very pretentious and that kind of in depth fan knowledge bugs me for some reason. No I don't know why. :heh: I'll try and take it for what it is; music to listen to. If I do that I find I enjoy it more.

I suppose it's fine to enjoy stuff on the surface if it is genuinely nothing more, but a lot of stuff IS more than it appears. *knows* But it's fine. It seems one can gradually skim people like Tori Amos, not liking or kinda liking it, or be totally sucked into it and know everything about every song and what the fuck she's on about. Like me. :heh:

I would have suggested similar songs for PJ Harvey and The Kills. I prefer Midnight Boom but KOYMS and No Wow are good too. :)

Vast - Song Without a Name

Placebo - Infra-red

And I'll share some songs with you in return. Songs that have taken my fancy lately..

Smashing Pumpkins - The Beginning is the End is the Beginning

Brilliant track. First heard it when getting stoned with my best friend and it stuck even when perfectly clean. It's a brilliant song - and no, I havn't seen Watchmen yet (annoyingly ;_; )

Dan le sac vs scroobius pip - Thou Shalt Always Kill

Fairly sure I'm several months behind on this but still a good track. Unfortunately I couldn't find the album version on Youtube as that is just so much better. The voice filter sorta ruins it.

Prodigy - Omen

Once again I couldn't embed the version I wanted to (the album version) as we peasants in the UK can't watch official music videos anymore. This'll have to do. Once again I'm several months behind but still love this track.

Frank Turner - Long Live The Queen

Damn. Just found out that this has been released as a single and therefore you've probably already heard it. Fantastic song off his new album which is a serious grower for me - initially didn't like the album at all but it's nearly as good as his first one. Don't think anything has matched Wisdom Teeth for me yet though. Well, maybe Ballad For Me And My Friends. Anyway, nice song etc.

Elbow - The Bones Of You

Please everyone, give this song a listen. It's simply brilliant; much like the entire album. In fact these guys are gold. Please like them. Mostly I'd like Paj and chair to tell me what they think of this song. I love it. Love the lyric "Drowning commitments like cats in a sack".

And now for something COMPLETELY different!

Thoughts? If you recognize it - a section of it is used for the intro for Charlie Brooker's Newswipe. Oddly catchy and happy. I really like it. :D

Edited by Dyson

Elbow - The Bones Of You

Please everyone, give this song a listen. It's simply brilliant; much like the entire album. In fact these guys are gold. Please like them. Mostly I'd like Paj and chair to tell me what they think of this song. I love it. Love the lyric "Drowning commitments like cats in a sack".

I second this, Elbow are excellent at what they do, in a lot of respects I still prefer stuff from their earlier albums but their latest album is still quality and I agree on the lyrics Dyson, they are what make a load of Elbow songs decent. : peace:

Seeing how obsessed certain people are with certain bands, i can definitely appreciate it. I'm not so bad now, but in my younger I had a terrible obsession with Savage Garden and Vertical Horizon. Nowadays it's probably Jimmy Eat World, their songs just seem to make complete sense to me and I can relate to a lot of what the subject matter is about.

Thanks for listening to my music Dyson! :yay:

Interesting! Very much so. I do enjoy this type of music in moderation! :D

Yay I'm glad you liked that one. It is mental. The rest of his album is a mixture between that and some really calm and tranquil stuff as well. :)

I listened to The Path instead on Spotify. It was alright...didn't flow enough for me though. Too...bitty? Can't describe it. Liked the horns though!

Nice! :D yeah she has a very different style and it is quite a random song, but that is why I love it!

Eeeek, no thanks! :laughing: Really not my kinda thing. I'll admit it did get slightly better as it went on.

Haha fair enough. : peace: I'm just happy you are giving these people a try! She is not for everyone but her album sits well with me as it is fairly odd.

Nice. Seems like a calmer version of Crystal Castles. Just drawing similarities in the way the music sounds but not the timbre or instrumentation at all. Can't describe it but I like it!

Brilliant. Listen to the rest of the album on spotify if you can. I think it is brilliant! :D

Much more my kind of thing. I like it a lot. Kept meaning to give this a listen since I aw the album artwork, it really intrigued me. This is one of the best tracks that I've heard tonight so far. Nice one!

Neko Case is amaze. listen listen listen! :grin: It was my album of the year so far and then Bat For Lashes Two Suns entered my life and it hasn't been the same since!

Guess you have a thing for female vocalists C. Bears? :D

Definately! :heart: Though I shall give anything a listen.

I shall listen to your suggestions tomorrow. (I'm off out now!) and give you my thoughts. Also provide you with more music.

I can confirm that I'm pleasantly surprised by the quality of Peaches new album, I Feel Cream.

Murder By Death - Brother

Love this band especially his voice. Probably not their best song but its quite catchy and might hopefully draw you in.

According to MTV, these are the 20 greatest albums of the "mtv generation" (I.e any albums released from 1981 onwards)

1. Michael Jackson – Thriller

2. Craig David – Born to Do It ...I'm unsure whether to laugh or cry.

3. Guns 'N' Roses – Appetite for Destruction

4. Radiohead – OK Computer

5. Nirvana – Nevermind

6. Oasis – (What's the Story) Morning Glory?

7. Oasis – Definitely Maybe

8. U2 – The Joshua Tree

9. Arctic Monkeys – Whatever People say I Am, That's What I'm Not

10. Amy Winehouse – Back to Black

11. The Strokes – Is This It?

12. Kanye West – The College Drop Out

13. The Stone Roses – The Stone Roses

14. Eminem – The Marshall Mathers LP

15. The Smiths – The Queen Is Dead

16. Rage Against the Machine – Rage Against the Machine

17. Prince and the Revolution – Purple Rain

18. REM – Automatic for the People