NEurope

There's some good ones in there, but Craig David is a joke. Also, personally I don't like Purple Rain, except the title track.

If those are the 20 greatest why are there 26...?

Still, not many I'd say I like, but I see their cultural significance.

Except Craig David. Maybe we should ask MTV to fiiiiiill us in.[/lame]

Craig David at No 2? I think that's Proper Bo, I tell thee!

craigdavidboselecta.jpg

Bo' Selecta! :smile:

I've been getting back into 70's/80's synthy, ambient stuff. I bought Vienna(the song) by Ultravox and Are Friends Electric? by Tubeway Army the other day. Any other recommendations? I kinda like Kraftwerk and the such...listened to some of Brian Eno's AMBIENT albums...

Most famous amongst todays youth for being the backing track to Freak Like Me by Sugababes.

I am totally in love with "What's A Girl To Do?" and "Daniel" at the moment. Love them.

I am totally in love with "What's A Girl To Do?" and "Daniel" at the moment. Love them.

Have you given both albums full run throughs? I find that on both albums, every track is as strong as each other.

Have you given both albums full run throughs? I find that on both albums, every track is as strong as each other.

Not fully for both, no. I've given the new one a full listen, but I'm still to finish going through Fur and Gold.

Not fully for both, no. I've given the new one a full listen, but I'm still to finish going through Fur and Gold.

Cool. I think Fur & Gold is a litte better as an album. Though live, the tracks from Two Suns came alive tremendously.

According to MTV, these are the 20 greatest albums of the "mtv generation" (I.e any albums released from 1981 onwards)

1. Michael Jackson – Thriller

2. Craig David – Born to Do It ...I'm unsure whether to laugh or cry.

3. Guns 'N' Roses – Appetite for Destruction

4. Radiohead – OK Computer

5. Nirvana – Nevermind

6. Oasis – (What's the Story) Morning Glory?

7. Oasis – Definitely Maybe

8. U2 – The Joshua Tree

9. Arctic Monkeys – Whatever People say I Am, That's What I'm Not

10. Amy Winehouse – Back to Black

11. The Strokes – Is This It?

12. Kanye West – The College Drop Out

13. The Stone Roses – The Stone Roses

14. Eminem – The Marshall Mathers LP

15. The Smiths – The Queen Is Dead

16. Rage Against the Machine – Rage Against the Machine

17. Prince and the Revolution – Purple Rain

18. REM – Automatic for the People

19. Usher – 8701

20. Pixies – Doolittle

21. The Notorious B.I.G – Ready to Die

22. Lauryn Hill – The Mis-education of Lauryn Hill

23. Human League – Dare

24. Jay-Z – Blueprint

25. Dizzee Rascal – Boy in da Corner

26. Mary J Blige – What's the 411?

Any list that puts Craig "fucking" David and Kanye "arrogant twatting shitter" West above Rage Against the Machine can fuck right off.

Seriously, I'm not violent, but I would really like to punch Kanye West untill I had worn my arms down to the elbow. I would gladly put his face through the back of his head for him.

Any list that puts Craig "fucking" David and Kanye "arrogant twatting shitter" West above Rage Against the Machine can fuck right off.

Seriously, I'm not violent, but I would really like to punch Kanye West untill I had worn my arms down to the elbow. I would gladly put his face through the back of his head for him.

Have you listened to his 808s and Heartbreak? It's a great album, not really something you would ever expect from him (in terms of his rapper status and the style of the album).

Plus, I have a soft spot for the guy. As far as I'm aware he's the only major black "rapper" to speak out about gay rights, something which could have been incredibly damaging for his career.

Edited by Slaggis

Plus, I have a soft spot for the guy. As far as I'm aware he's the only major black "rapper" to speak out about gay rights, something which could have been incredibly damaging for his career.

Lol, how? Since when was this the sixties?

More accurate would be to say his perceived "cred". But then he's not an idiot (from what I gather), so I doubt gay peolple are a big deal to him. He's hardly 50 Cent or [insert dumb, pointless, shit rapper here].

More accurate would be to say his perceived "cred". But then he's not an idiot (from what I gather), so I doubt gay peolple are a big deal to him. He's hardly 50 Cent or [insert dumb, pointless, shit rapper here].

No other rapper has ever done it, because the central fanbase of such music is/has been renowned as being incredibly homophobic. Therefore, it's not hard to do the math is it? Homophobic fan base + gay friendly rapper = less sales.

--

I was listening to a friends music collection (He's obsessed with rap) and I had no freaking idea just how homophobic some of it actually is. I mean, how the fuck is that stuff still allowed to be played on radio in America? Makes no sense to me. Oh and speaking of rap, I heard a few Lil' Wayne songs...why is he so popular? His lyrics are actually laughable. (According to my mate "''Cos when I arrive, I-I bring the fire, make you come alive" are "deep" lyrics)

--

I just found out that What You Waiting For only charted at #47 in the states, and it's so low on plays on Last.Fm. Why? It's one of her best songs, and I love the video to bits. "Like a cat in heat stuck in a moving car. A scary conversation, shit my eyes can't find the brake!" are some of my favourite lyrics ever.

Just because:

Edited by Slaggis

Have you listened to his 808s and Heartbreak? It's a great album, not really something you would ever expect from him (in terms of his rapper status and the style of the album).

Musically, I don't mind Kanye West. Well ok, I wouldn't go that far, I don't hate his stuff. But putting it the top 26 list with the likes of Micheal Jackson, Nirvana and Guns 'N' Roses? I personally dislike Oasis, but I can at least see why they're there. Same with Arctic Monkeys, at least they were one of the first (the first?) band to make it big through Myspace.

Maybe I don't like the idea of Kanye being in there because his stuff isn't as massive over here. Maybe his music has been massively influential in America.

Musically, I don't mind Kanye West. Well ok, I wouldn't go that far, I don't hate his stuff. But putting it the top 26 list with the likes of Micheal Jackson, Nirvana and Guns 'N' Roses? I personally dislike Oasis, but I can at least see why they're there. Same with Arctic Monkeys, at least they were one of the first (the first?) band to make it big through Myspace.

Maybe I don't like the idea of Kanye being in there because his stuff isn't as massive over here. Maybe his music has been massively influential in America.

Oh yeah, I wasn't at all disagreeing with what you were saying about his album being in there (apart from implying if one of them had to be, it shoud be 808s and Heartbreak). The list is apparently voted for, so which ever dumbasses shoved Craig David on there need burning or locking in a room with the album loop.

Oh yeah, I wasn't at all disagreeing with what you were saying about his album being in there (apart from implying if one of them had to be, it shoud be 808s and Heartbreak). The list is apparently voted for, so which ever dumbasses shoved Craig David on there need burning or locking in a room with the album loop.

Ah it makes sense now. I didn't realise it was voted for. Surely the Craig David must have been some sort of joke set up by a group of people? Like the Facebook group for Jeff Buckley last Christmas, but with a more comic motive.

I'm now impressed things like RATM got in at all. I know it was a massively influential album, but it's not exactly the general publics favourite album. I doubt most peope have even heard of it.

As I interpretted that list it was the 26 albums that defined the "MTV generation" (granted they said best but through thinking of it in terms of the MTV generation you're basically thinking how has this generation been shaped, what has had the most significance) and if considering it in that askewed manner I think Kanye's inclusion is reasonable; he has had quite a cultural impact. Hes an arrogant crunch (and thats part of the reason I like him) but his music has resonated.

And numbers are ultimately arbitary...in my opinion.

Arctic Monkeys? Craig David? Kanye West?

They're having a Giraffe.

Well this list is voted for. See you (plural) think its all fun and games to vote for Rick Astley but look where it leads. LOOK WHERE IT LEADS!

In other news, thank lordie for Spotify. Time for some Dizzee.

Edited by Ashley

I just found out that What You Waiting For only charted at #47 in the states, and it's so low on plays on Last.Fm. Why?

I agree it's probably her best song, but I assume it's the various spellings of the title that make it so low on her charts?

If What You Waiting For and What You Waiting For? were added, it would place 7th on her charts.

According to MTV, these are the 20 greatest albums of the "mtv generation" (I.e any albums released from 1981 onwards)

1. Michael Jackson – Thriller

2. Craig David – Born to Do It ...I'm unsure whether to laugh or cry.

3. Guns 'N' Roses – Appetite for Destruction

4. Radiohead – OK Computer

5. Nirvana – Nevermind

6. Oasis – (What's the Story) Morning Glory?

7. Oasis – Definitely Maybe

8. U2 – The Joshua Tree

9. Arctic Monkeys – Whatever People say I Am, That's What I'm Not

10. Amy Winehouse – Back to Black

11. The Strokes – Is This It?

12. Kanye West – The College Drop Out

13. The Stone Roses – The Stone Roses

14. Eminem – The Marshall Mathers LP

15. The Smiths – The Queen Is Dead

16. Rage Against the Machine – Rage Against the Machine

17. Prince and the Revolution – Purple Rain

18. REM – Automatic for the People

19. Usher – 8701

20. Pixies – Doolittle

21. The Notorious B.I.G – Ready to Die

22. Lauryn Hill – The Mis-education of Lauryn Hill

23. Human League – Dare

24. Jay-Z – Blueprint

25. Dizzee Rascal – Boy in da Corner

26. Mary J Blige – What's the 411?

Wtf that list is fucking stupid. I'm sorry but Craig David, what on earth?! I mean, Walking Away is one hell of a track but seriously HIGHER UP THAN RAGE?!? College Dropout is one hell of an album, especially with tracks like Jesus walks ('Guns, sex, lies, video tapes/But if I talk about God my record won't get played..huh?'), but I'm sorry there are far better rap albums. For a start Illmatic is the best rap album ever made (pretty much anyone who's into rap would agree) and yet that's not made it and Dizzie has?

A rapper supporting homosexuality is a sitting duck for hate. SO much so that Eazy-E, who was a N.W.A member didn't tell anyone until the week before he died that he had HIV because back then it was considered by many that only gays could get it and he didn't want to be attacked because of it.

There's a reason why we don't have any gay rappers.

I never consider Kanye West along with that lot though, but I suppose in a way he is. Always seemed pretty removed from that in terms of style (musical and visual). Much more pop than rap (in my objective mindset - Obviously he's a rapper, but a ...pop-rapper..if you get me?).

I never consider Kanye West along with that lot though, but I suppose in a way he is. Always seemed pretty removed from that in terms of style (musical and visual). Much more pop than rap (in my objective mindset - Obviously he's a rapper, but a ...pop-rapper..if you get me?).

Hmm to an extent yes, though Jay-Z is more a pop-rapper than Kanye (with 2 of his albums being obvious exceptions).

Kanye is more commercial hip-hop, though it's not all of his songs are like, i dunno, Gold Digger, it's just his music is easier to listen to that I dunno, Nas, Ice Cube, Public Enemy because he's very middle class. His songs aren't gonna be as interlectual as a lot of 'proper' rap but at the same time it's gonna be WAY easier to listen to..so i guess in that i do agree with you :)

Kanye's music is interesting because I wouldn't say he's a sell out at all (Lil Wayne, 50 Cent), but his music is nowhere near as thought provoking as other rappers. He's not a great rapper, just a fantastic entertainer.

I'm not a fan of rap in general. Some of the popular Kanye stuff I like (as most punters do), but I preferred his last album.

---

Listening to the last Elbow album for the first time. I remember thinking they were decent live...

It's alright. Nothing very spectacular (tbf not analysing everything about it), but not bad.