N-Europe

Half your age but twice your size...

Rummy

For those of you unaware, this is a thread about an 8 year old child who weighs in at over 14 stone. At just eight years of age. 14 stone.

I find it astounding, it's also possible the kid will be taken into care, and some people are claiming this is essentially a form of child abuse.

What about people here, do you think overfeeding your child or pandering to their every nutritional demand is child abuse? I mean, recently some people got fined/jailed for overfeeding their dog, so how it is this not the same principle, if not worse?

Do you think the kid should be taken away from his mother, or what? What would you do, if you were charged with sorting out this situation?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/article1434607.ece

Guest Stefkov

DCK: (according to google)

1 stone = 6.35029318 kilograms

So:

14 stone = 88.9041045 kilograms (damn beaten to it, I'll leave it up for paeople to see later)

I rememeber that about those people being called crule for over feeding their dog. However to do with the 8 year old, its partly the childs fault. I mean, yes the parents can put a stop to the eating, but hes a growing 8 year old who has tear ducts the size of Niagra Falls.

You cant really say no to your child. To them it woudl seem cruel to make him stop eating.

What do they do to the child, just let him sit at home and watch tv all day long. Does he not go out and walk. If not then most of the blame I think goes to the parents. They would have seen him getting larger, why didnt they tell him to go join a football team.

Poor guy. Him mum is spoilling him with food, and that should not be allowed. As an adult she should be more responsible. I used to be really really fat (around 12stones I think) when I was 9/10 years of age. I have very embarrasing pictures lol. It's not a very comfortable life being like that at school. You do not have a vast amount of friends, but you do have the bullies, sigh..... But there is hope, over the Summer holidays I was able to loose all that fat by riding my bike for miles and miles around the countryside everyday, and so I was not a person you would call fat :grin: and nowadays I'm pretty slim wooo! I saw a picture of the kid in The Sun today on a bike, and I thought , well maybe he's trying to loose some weight by excercising in that, just like me, but then I noticed it was a Mini Motor bike-thingy.....sigh.....get a pedal bike!

God, this is a bit of a mess.

Just taking a glance on that link, and it mentioned something about appointments not being kept. As a parent, the best interests of the child need to be addressed. Looking at the situation, the child clearly has a problem, so those appointments about his weight needed to be kept. So, parental neglect?

Sorry for being continental, but how many kilograms is a stone?

Sounds way too heavy though.

Sorry, should have considered that. I'm a metric man myself, but my weights and my scale have imperial as the top unit.

1 stone = 14 pounds

1 stone = 6.35029318 kilograms

2.20462262 pounds = 1 kilograms

Connor roughly weights 95kg.

This kid, saying he weighs 15 stone, weighs 210lbs or just over 95kg. At the age of 8. I am 19 going on 20, and bordering on underweight admittedly, but I still only weigh 9 stone. This kid is the equivalent of 1.5x my weight, someone 13 years his senior.

His mother claims she's had no support, it's been claimed they've been offered support and appointments been broken.

Bloody hell, that is 5 stone more than me and I'm 17.

I bet you anything his parents are incredibly fat as well.

The mother isn't fat(dunno where the father is), the grandmother is not fat, and his sister is not fat. This kid is, and people are claiming he has been the victim of child abuse, whereas his mother apparently claimed that if he was the victim of abuse he would be thin. It's possible that this kid may have some sort of health issue causing this, but it doesn't seem to be being addressed at all.

I don't agree with taking this kid away from his mother for a long period of time, but I do think this kid needs some serious intervention. After doing medical tests and stuff to see if he has any disorders causing it, if not, I actually think as horrible as those places are, that he should be sent to some sort of weight loss boot camp, because clearly this mother shows no restraint around her son.

Intolerance to fruit and vegetables is a load of shit, what unbelievably nonsense. He probably DOES have an intolerance now if anything because he was never given any as a kid! He needs to be encouraged to excercise regularly as well, he needs like a famous athlete as a friend or something(they were talking about this on the wright stuff this morning, and one of the panel suggested ben fogle befriends the kid)

Maybe we should start a fund raiser to get him a wii? :heh:

EDIT: I missed the programme cos I was fiddling around reading the book for the new car, I only saw the last 5 or so minutes of it. Anyone know if theres gonna be a follow up/repeat/another programme about him?

He has almost the same amount of stones as me, but I'm 20, and a bit fat.

Also who invented this stone stuff?

I hate to be a grammar Nazi, but the plural of 'stone' when referring to the measurement of mass is also 'stone'.

It was invented my some people who wanted to make maths hell for school kids.

Look at any part of the Imperial system...Metric ftw.

Past 2 days on the radio while working i've heard this so many times. The mtoher's trying to lift the blame off her saying "she should've been given more support". YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE GIVEN HIM THE EXTRA BIG MAC!

From the sounds of things, she was offered support.

"One National Health Service source said: “We have attempted many times to arrange for Connor to have appointments with community and paediatric nutritionists, public health experts, school nurses and social workers to weigh and measure him and to address his diet, but the appointments have been missed."

That's the quote I was on about in the link Rummy posted.