NEurope
Stocka

Super Mario Sunshine > Super Mario 64

no it's not, its too easy :P

I completed this game the day I got it in something like 3 hours (50 shine sprites).

SM64 was wayyy harder, and the camera was better too.

I'm currently forcing myself to play it (I've had it for around 3 months now...11 shines I think). It just doesn't feel like a Mario game...

I just couldn't handle the camera. It was probably just that I wasn't good enough to. I did finish it eventually but didn't collect all the sprites. I have to say I did enjoy it though.

For me it is like this:

SM64 is the "better" game if you compare it to other games during it release, and to how it changed the industry. But SMS is a better game, becouse the gameplay is more fun, the worlds are much more vivid, I felt much more compelled to play SMS than SM64. Sure, I completed SMS faster then SM64, but it was mainly becouse: I played SMS a lot more (ie, when I got it I took a day off and then played it during the weekend, while SM64 I had school, other things to do etc) and I am better at games like that. But I loved just jumping around some of the SMS levels, it was wonderful.

In short, SMS felt much more like a real world for me, while SM64 was "just" levels.

Has anyone read the Time Extend feature in this month's Edge? It addresses some of Sunshine's criticism and puts to game in a wider context. It's an excellent article, and makes for some interesting reading.

Stocka why....WHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYY!!!!??????? Sunshine over 64???

I agree that Sunshine didnt feel very Mario like. Like alot of people the only parts that I truely did enjoy were the parts without the backpack. I think its the only Mario game I have never finished more than once which is saying something. It took me a while to finish though as I collected everything in the game.

no it's not, its too easy :P

I completed this game the day I got it in something like 3 hours (50 shine sprites).

SM64 was wayyy harder, and the camera was better too.

You were waayyy younger.

I quite liked Sunshine, it was really fun to play it.

..was your mouth out, Stocka..

Sunshine was very enjoyable..

64 was very very enjoyable..

I felt with Sunshine that, while it was great to sit atop Yoshi again, Mario elements such as Item Boxes and goombas (there wasn't any.. was there?) weren't in the game meaning it didn't feel quite so special..

..and I also missed the diversity of environments.. whilst I know Sunshine was based in hot sunny locations for a reason, I like having Snow Worlds etc. to navigate..

In future, I hope they bring back proper Mario things such as Mushrooms, Fire Flowers and (please) flying with the Cape using the Wii Remote..

..but back to topic.. 64 >> Sunshine :heh:

I as well disagree with you. Sunshine was made in the shadow of SM64, and whilst looking prettier, I felt it was a bit too different and not as satisfying. Maybe it was because of the whole paint and water thing, it was fun but just not as fun as SM64.

Also, the whole blue coins thing in sunshine was stupid, I didn't have the patience for that malarky.

Has anyone read the Time Extend feature in this month's Edge? It addresses some of Sunshine's criticism and puts to game in a wider context. It's an excellent article, and makes for some interesting reading.

I presume thats what Stocka just read. Good article.

Super Mario Sunshine is an out right bad video game. So many design flaws on such basic levels.

Such as??? :wtf:

Yes it is better.

ha tough shit it isn't!

if you think that you are already lost and i couln't be arsed trying to explain why it is better

In short, SMS felt much more like a real world for me, while SM64 was "just" levels.
That's true, but it eventually made the game quite boring. Some levels, like that hotel level, were quite poor.

This game wasn't really about the platforming anymore, it seems.

In short, SMS felt much more like a real world for me

And, to me, that is one of the worst things about the game. It felt like a generic island...nothing more.

I didn't enjoy this game anywhere near as much as Super Mario 64!

The levels were very similar to one another, there were no different themes other than warm sunny themed levels!

There were no classic traditional enemies!

Yoshi was almost pointless and added very little to the gameplay. Wasn't fun to use and had no character/personality at all!

And no Green Yoshi!!

Fludd took away from the classic platforming, as the levels were designed around using it and consiquently it felt less like a mario game!

Too many similar missions in each world! Red Coins, 100 Coins, Chase! Also Blue coins!

Islanders were terrible additions with no personality!

General voice acting was terrible! The game shouldn't have used it!

Bowser was rediculous in this game!

Terrible, terrible story! Shouldn't have bothered!

I love this game, and to a certain extent, more so than 64. Why? Because the levels in the game feel more alive, because of the designs of the levels, because of the classic "jump & run" levels. Although Super Mario 64 is a classic, I just found Super Mario Sunshine more fun.

Sunshine is awesome. Seriously I don't know how people hate it. The music is also better on sunshine.