N-Europe

Manhunt 2

ZeldaFreak

Sorry to resurrect the thread but having walked past a Newsagents in one of the shopping centres in Ballymena yesterday, I just had to take a picture of this in the window:

Halloween.jpg

This is a costume for children for Halloween..

HalloweenFace.jpg

How on earth is this allowed yet we're not allowed to get a game such as Manhunt which is directly for adults and not allowed to be bought by children. The world makes no flaming sense..

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack Thompson on Fox news talking about Manhunt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwQvRgGxHgc

I know this hasnt got much to do with Europe and the UK ban but its kind of interesting.

Also why is it every time they get someone to defend violent video games its some ranting idiot who can't even explain himself or his argument without getting hysterical and making themselves look like some unhinged nerd?

This video is almost as bad as when JT was on 'attack of the show' and Adam sessler almost had a fit.

I would have bought this if it was the uncut version, but im not buying this censored game. We don't have censorship here, but i very much doubt that Rockstar will release the uncensored version just because a handfull european countries arent wankers

7.7 on ign

Note: as far as I could tell, it's reviewed by a PS2-dude. I don't want them comparing it to the first one, as that's irrelevant to the present (other console, other company).

Brief take from Matt Casamasmamamina.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/831/831257p1.html

I'll still be getting it. Feeling a bit gutted tbh; I know reviews shouldn't matter, but I'd had hoped for more critical acclaim...

7.7 on ign

Note: as far as I could tell, it's reviewed by a PS2-dude. I don't want them comparing it to the first one, as that's irrelevant to the present (other console, other company).

Brief take from Matt Casamasmamamina.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/831/831257p1.html

I'll still be getting it. Feeling a bit gutted tbh; I know reviews shouldn't matter, but I'd had hoped for more critical acclaim...

I thought this was gonna be around 8.0 to 8.4 tbh. Not far off. I kinda get the feelingthough that had it been the more violent game it would have got the higher score.

You can't see a bloody thing now, i personally think the censorship has ruined this game slightly. I mean whats the point of the excecutions now? The whole screen goes black and gets scribbled out. :(

God i'm sick. :D

Perhaps toning it down was for the best......:heh:

Most reviews are sub 7 scores (GameSpy, 1UP) and to be honest without the uber gory scenes, PS2 graphics I don't think that this game will be worth it for me.

Poor port which suffered from censorship ... I guess I would have to be really desperate to find anything good about the game. A game which just lives up through controversy it creates is not enough nowadays.

Yeah this game is effectively not what it should have been now... just read 1up's review who gave it just a 4. I loved the 1st game and despite its violence at its core there is still a fantastic game. For me this had to take the game to the next level and it looked like it was doing it with the gore but by the sounds of things hasn't with the gameplay...

Wii version not as gory as PS2 one. It seems to be getting above average reviews though, just 1up not happy with it.

How all this looks will depend on the version you are playing. On the Wii, the entire scene is rendered through a blurry red filter that gives you a merely vague idea of what's going taking place. The movement and splattering sound effects make it clear that no one wants to die a death quite that painful--you just don't get to see the details. As a result, you'll be paying more attention to the motion prompts at the top left of the screen than trying to figure out the onscreen action. On the PS2, the filter is less blurry and blinks on/off so you can see more of the grisly kill--much more of it. The PS2 version also features a geometric pattern that flashes at the beginning and end of the execution. The more visible kills make this version far more satisfying because the simulated motions with the Wii Remote can't compare to the clarity of the PS2's gruesomeness.

OK just watched them all, and with the exception of some of the circular saw, cutting wire and shovel kills the rest were very much below the gore/scare standard of Saw 4 which i saw the other day.

And one very important factor i feel, in the game these looked quick, not draw out, with no emotional connection attempted to be made between victim and viewer, which films do do which make them worse on the "gore" scale, and once again, films can be made look as real as possible, watching that vid you'd have to be hard of seeing to not be able to tell that is a game and not real

i can't watch that video, but there's one similar on Gametrailers, I assume it's the same. I think most of the kills presented on that video are not the level 3 kills, but rather level 2. YOu can clearly see on some of them that the execution starts on level 2, when you see gameplay of Lamb approaching the victim.

• 3 weeks later...

WASHINGTON (Hollywood Reporter) - A bipartisan group of lawmakers including a Democratic presidential hopeful is calling on the makers of video games to review the industry's ratings system.

In letter to the Entertainment Software Rating Board, the lawmakers complained about its decision to give an "mature" rating Rockstar's "Manhunt 2" game.

Sens. Joe Lieberman, I-Conn., Sam Brownback, R-Kan., Evan Bayh, D-Ind., and Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y., said the game's violent content, which includes "many graphic torture scenes and murders," should have garnered an "adults only" rating.

Clinton, the front-runner for the Democratic nomination for president, has long pressed for tougher ratings and has called for a unified ratings system for movies, games and TV shows.

"We ask your consideration of whether it is time to review the robustness, reliability and repeatability of your ratings process, particularly for this genre of 'ultraviolent' video games and the advances in game controllers," the senators wrote. "We have consistently urged parents to pay attention to the ESRB rating system. We must ensure that parents can rely on the consistency and accuracy of those ratings."

Rockstar also makes the controversial "Grand Theft Auto" series of games.

Comic-Time

6uspnrp.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Rockstar’s Manhunt 2 appeal successful

Ben Parfitt Today, 3:50pm

BBFC to consider its options following Video Appeals Committee’s vote in publisher’s favour

The Video Appeals Committee has announced that it has voted in favour of Rockstar, by a margin of four votes to three, in its appeal against the BBFC for its decision to ban controversial PS2, PSP and Wii title Manhunt 2 from release in the UK.

The BBFC has said that it will consider the VAC’s judgement, and subsequently how it plans to react, when it receives the relevant papers. A statement from the body read:

“The BBFC exercises great vigilance and care in ensuring that all violent games which are submitted to us are correctly classified. Our decisions are based on published guidelines, which are the result of very wide public consultation. The Board also provides very full content information to the public, including parents, about the videogames which it classifies. We recently launched a new website for parents, PBBFC, in addition to the main website and our websites for children and students.

“The BBFC twice rejected Manhunt 2 for its focus on varied and cumulative killings.

We recognise that rejection is a very serious step, in which the desire of publishers to market their games, and that of gamers to buy them, must be balanced against the public interest, including the full range of possible harm risks to vulnerable individuals and to any children who may be wrongly exposed to such games.

“Such balancing judgements are inevitably complex and multi-faceted, and are made only after very careful consideration of the contents of a work. We played Manhunt 2 for well over 30 hours prior to our decision.

“The Board recognizes that the available research findings on the effects of video games (including positive as well as harmful effects) are varied and contested. But we continue to believe that a broad approach to the possible risks is needed, which goes beyond purely behavioral harm, and which also takes account of other possible effects on the sensibilities and attitudes of individuals.”