N-Europe

Gates: "Nintendo is standing still online"

Stocka

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=155756

Bill Gates has questioned Nintendo's strategy for Wii, saying "Look at the resolution you get with a controlled experience like that. Say to yourself, how in terms of using a game for a long period of time, what kind of accuracy and capability do you want?

"Look at the classic Nintendo positioning Look at the graphics. Look at Nintendo's execution in terms of online capability... If you want to play online, get an Xbox. We're not standing still," Gates told the San Jose Mercury News.

"Look at what you saw today connecting up the world to the Windows PC. Do you expect Nintendo to rev up a team to create cross-device gaming and tool kits to develop those things? Not very likely."

He is totally right.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed this is why I feel the need to have two consoles now. Still if Nintendo can pull off Smash Bros online and voice communication at the same time i will be one happy camper. They also need to sort out the business of friends requests they need to do it much like on the Xbox where you get a nice simple message saying so and so wants to be your friend.

It's pretty funny how the DS was being glorified as having the best online userbase when it Mario Kart came out with it last year.

Now even less than 10% of DS owners use the Wi-Fi connection.

The Xbox 360 dominates Console online play, but the PC still rules over all.

(The awesome people on this forums will know where I've ripped this off from if they're truly awesome...)

P.S. I really hope Booker's avatar isn't what I think it is, otherwise goddamn man you look at some of the extreme stuff.

A couple of months back I started respecting microsoft and even thought about getting a 360. Then I found about dx10, vista's tilt bits, hd stuff... Knocked me back to my senses.

I'll probably still get the 360 some day. But I think I'll stick to this xp on my pc for now and when the time comes, switch to linux.

I think its the only true comment he made in that interview.

The Wii needs some serious online commitment outside of pacifiers like weather/news/shop channels and there is no excuse for it not to happen. Its worrying that Nintendo havent expanded on their plans for the online future beyond whe stuff that is common knowledge.

LET ER RIP' (beyblade... spinning...)

Nintendo lacks online GAMING, yes.

However the Wii is more connected to the internet than his own little Windows. 24/7 live message and image sending/recieving, update notices, weather channel and soon to come news channel. The Wii is online, and soon it will be online and playing games too (With Pokémon releasing in Japan soon.) I'm pretty sure most of the official N games to come will be online too. Metroid, Mario Kart etc.

[/spin]

It's pretty funny how the DS was being glorified as having the best online userbase when it Mario Kart came out with it last year.

Was it? I always thought it was absolutely terrible. Its just that it got a million unique connections really quickly, I bet the majority only connected once.

Was it? I always thought it was absolutely terrible. Its just that it got a million unique connections really quickly, I bet the majority only connected once.

Hey hey! Im still playing my DS online quite regularly! yeah it was a pain in the arse swaping codes with friends but once its done its all good.