NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Charlie

Don't Swear For A Week

Sounds like a good idea. It's not really THAT difficult to not swear, for me anyway. Just use substitute words. Like flowers. :heh:

Sounds like a good idea. It's not really THAT difficult to not swear, for me anyway. Just use substitute words. Like flowers. :heh:

:shock: Flowers? Man..I looked upto you...

These days I don't see what censoring does except encourage people to swear. Why? Because

- Almost everyone above the age of 10 (and quite a few that are younger) know virtually all swear words.

- They only find them fun to say because they are censored and considered "cool" and "bad"

- Censoring only makes the kids think of which swear word was supposed to be said/written. Encouraging them to say them.

I propose this:

- We all consider "swear words" no longer as "swear words", but as boring dull words.

- We consider words like "Shit" and "Fuck" to have alternate meanings, which should be added to the dictionary, when said in different sentences.

- Also, surely needing fewer words to get a point across make English more efficient?

Swearing is normal now. It should be officially made normal. Sure, some kids will say nothing than so-called swear words for a week, but then they will all get bored with them.

Anyone with me?

If you declassify swear words then they'll simply be superseded by different words. Swear words aren't arbitrarily seen as offensive, that's their purpose; they are meant to be hard-hitting, expressive.

Proliferating their usage makes them pointless, as you appear to want. But what have we gained from that? More needless words, more offended people, and a bare top shelf where the strong language should be.

Swearing is widespread because it has become more accepted, because people allow it, which I think is a bad thing as it's a misuse of such words. What positive aspect is there to letting swearing become filler? I certainly can't see one.

Personally, if you count the words such as 'Fuck' and 'shit' and etc offensive, you really need to grow up. Fuck's the same word as sex in cases, shit is the same word for poo or whatever immature slang you can think of, why arent they considered offensive?

It's the connotations of the word that are important, not the face value. 'Making love' and 'fuck' are, ostensibly, the same thing, but you wouldn't use them interchangeably — or at least I hope you wouldn't.

Is it appropriate for a woman to go to her gynecologist asking them to look at her '****'? I suppose it's a subjective thing, but I don't think I'm the only one that would see that as crass, embarrassing, and needless.

It's how words are used that's important; just look at how 'queer' was once a term of offence and is now seen as a positive term, having been 'reclaimed'.

Anyway, as you can probably imagine I don't go in to the idea of swearing as a form of punctuation, so unless something really bad happens this week — or I need to make more exemplar usage — I'd abide by Moria's suggestion by default.

Let me start off by saying I have limited experience in swear words. I'm no swear word historian, though I'd like to be, but I still think I know why they are important to society.

Would you be more insulted being called a poopy face or a shit head?

But I'll stop swearing for a week. I can quit anytime I want...

I don't swear much on forums and the likes, mainly because I don't know exactly who will be reading it and whether or not they're ok with it. I have very many friends who don't like swearing, and around these friends I don't swear. Around people who are ok with it, however, I do. I'll go without swearing on here, 'cause I never do that anyway. But I'm not gonna stop swearing in real life.

I really like swearing. Used properly, it's often pretty funny. I probably swear too much, but then I don't think it's in any way offensive so....yeah!

Bullshit. I know I won't be able to do it. Especially if Lynne Scully starts being even more of a bitch.

Why don't we all use the inoffensive Irish word "feck"?

Its most definitely not a crude as its "u" centered cousin, and it can be used in exactly the same way:

eg:

Ya feckin eejit

What the feck are ye at?

Will ya look at that feckin gobsheen....!

Feck sake!!

Let's all use it, as it's not really a swear word.....it's more of an emphasis!

:p

I cant see the point they are only words. Its the people reacting to the words that have the problem. If we didnt react to certain words surely people with torettes wouldnt have as harder time.

If you want it to go away dont react to it.

Peepee, *chuckle*

peepeevagina *more chuckling*

(Scary Movie 4 reference)

I don't think i swear much on here anymore anyway, though i do in real life sometimes.

I've started swearing really casually...It's all the rap music i tell ya :(

I think I get worse when I play Smash Bros. though. If someone combos me or I make a mistake i sometimes go crazy on the amount of F*cks I say.

Why don't we all use the inoffensive Irish word "feck"?

Its most definitely not a crude as its "u" centered cousin, and it can be used in exactly the same way:

eg:

Ya feckin eejit

What the feck are ye at?

Will ya look at that feckin gobsheen....!

Feck sake!!

Let's all use it, as it's not really a swear word.....it's more of an emphasis!

:p

Feck just doesn't work well with a Manchester accent. It sounds too weak.

Come to think of it, bastard doesn't sound that great either, comes out much better when the initial A is pronounced 'ah'. I think anyway.

I'll try not to but I'm not promising anything. I know I won't manage it on the pitch. I swear at the referees.

i could try and stop swearing for an hour but i know i'd just fail :P

Some people use swear words as they can't think of anything else, others use them has they have a greater effect, in certain situations.

So what's everyone's favourite swear word?

C YOU Next Tuesday :D

and bastarding, and just fcuk :p

Sign in to follow this