NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Charlie

Don't Swear For A Week

Swearing, and use of slurs about race or sexual-orientation are prohibited. Words that try to sneak around the swear filter are prohibited.

Swearing is meant to be banned on the forums, but that rule generally fails, even the mods (including myself) and admins do it. Why do we swear? Usually because of a lack of better way to express ourselves. We're not 10 years old anymore, it doesn't make us look cool, it doesn't make us big.

I propose that we have a week where everybody makes the effort not to swear at all, here and in real life. Why? Because it will make us better at the English language, make us more pleasant to hear when out and about, I know I certainly wouldn't want my child, if I had one, to hear people swearing.

So, from Monday 4th September, until Sunday 10th September at 11:59pm try not to swear at all. See what it feels like for a week to say nothing derogatory, maybe you'll continue doing so afterwards. If you don't like it after a week, or feel the need to swear, by all means carry on doing it, I can't and wont stop you.

Who else is up for it?

c**t!!! <btw not at you, i just enjoy saying it.

we swear because it can be used to comic effect and i use it to make what im saying more colourfull and less dry.

so thats a no thanks from me

Of course! I never swear, unless I'm singing Laura...

Also, the word b*****d is really offensive for people to use as a swear word.

I dont always think its for coolness or that it would make us better at the english language. I swear sometimes because it feels more powerful and stress-relieving than saying ' darn it! '.

But hey, it would be a good thing to do and a challenge as well, although i dont swear much anyway like most people here.

Imagine 50 Cent trying this!

It's a part of the English language and swear words can be some of the most expressive and versatile words that we have, as long as they are not used so much that they lose their effectiveness - and as long as there is a minority of the population offended by them, even within context. A minority who don't realise that it's themselves who give these words their power.

I never really understood the point of swearing on a forum anyway. Swearing in real life is usually used as spur of the moment gap fillers in speech, but on the internet you have all the time in the world.

Though, I suppose you can use swearing construcively, for example "Well I'm fucked".

I'll go with this, but only if I can swear in quoting people, and if it is an appropriate reaction. (ie if Nintendo announce they will delay the Wii launch in Europe until next year, DS style...)

Oh, and blasphemy is total bullshit anyway, so I think anyone who signs up for this can get away with saying "hell", "damn", and "oh my God", as some stuck-up arseholes consider that to be swearing...

OK, I'll start...now!

These days I don't see what censoring does except encourage people to swear. Why? Because

- Almost everyone above the age of 10 (and quite a few that are younger) know virtually all swear words.

- They only find them fun to say because they are censored and considered "cool" and "bad"

- Censoring only makes the kids think of which swear word was supposed to be said/written. Encouraging them to say them.

I propose this:

- We all consider "swear words" no longer as "swear words", but as boring dull words.

- We consider words like "Shit" and "Fuck" to have alternate meanings, which should be added to the dictionary, when said in different sentences.

- Also, surely needing fewer words to get a point across make English more efficient?

Swearing is normal now. It should be officially made normal. Sure, some kids will say nothing than so-called swear words for a week, but then they will all get bored with them.

Anyone with me?

Fuck that shit.

Last time I tried...bad things happened...honestly, it's not in the natural order of things...

Why do we swear? Usually because of a lack of better way to express ourselves. We're not 10 years old anymore, it doesn't make us look cool, it doesn't make us big.

I strongly disagree. Swearing is a very good way to express ourselves, because they are powerful words and show that you are annoyed if used in an angry situation.

Personally, I dont swear because it makes me look big or cool, I swear because they are words, like any other. Fuck off means the same as go away, I never understood why theres words that mean the same as other things are counted as offensive.

The only swearing I disagree with are racial and ones such as the 'C' word as they are actually insulting female genitalia(sp?).

Personally, if you count the words such as 'Fuck' and 'shit' and etc offensive, you really need to grow up. Fuck's the same word as sex in cases, shit is the same word for poo or whatever immature slang you can think of, why arent they considered offensive?

But, if this rule were to be properly enforced, i'd try and obide it.

I'm all for less swearing. There's just so much swear/bad words being used here that are not even necessary. You can get your point across too without all those words. They just annoy me.

I should be able to do this no problem. Especially on a forum when you're typing, it shouldn't be hard to control your language. I'd like to see more people actually try and do that.

Actually come to think of it Eenuh, have you ever swore on here?

I don't know. Might have, some small words when I've been pissed or something. I don't know really; I don't like swearing. Though I have to say that I do swear a bit ("shit", "fuck") when I'm playing multiplayer games with friends. Well, only happened when I played with my ex and his friends/family. So once a year. =P

I don't know. Might have, some small words when I've been pissed or something. I don't know really; I don't like swearing. Though I have to say that I do swear a bit ("shit", "fuck") when I'm playing multiplayer games with friends. Well, only happened when I played with my ex and his friends/family. So once a year. =P

Heh, thats basic instinct on multiplayer though, my friends know that when I slip up on Mario kart you better hope theres no kids in the room.

I'll just stick to gestures for the duration then.

V.jpg

wow for the first time ever i say-i love you rokhed!

Sign in to follow this