NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Conor_NE

RE Podcast - Hot Topic #2

Remember in March when we did a thread asking for your views on games journalism for the RE podcast's first Hot Topic? Yeah, we've been kinda busy, but finally got around to airing some of those views on our first podcast (you haven't heard? go to http://www.revo-europe.com/special.php?sid=media#podcasts), so we didn't completely forget about those.

It's time for a new Hot Topic then, expect to see your comments and our views up much sooner than last time (about a fortnight's time we expect). There's not big news I can draw discussion points from at the moment, but I did nothing New Super Mario Bros. at the top spot on the charts, so on a semi-related note we can to know...

Q. What is the best Mario platformer, ever?

The NES perfection that is SMB3? The jazzy, expansive Super Mario World? The 3d glory of Mario 64? The mud-cleaning, er, thrills of Sunshine? Let us know!

This is far too hard of a question!

I'd have to say Yoshi's Island. This game made me go out and buy another SNES and track down a copy just to play it again. Yoshi's Island is my favourite simply because its the most radically different 2D platformer out there, its incredibly challenging and not to mention it was graphically stunning.

Falling backgrounds, lovely cel shading, huge screen size bosses we all a first on Yoshi's island. Egg attacks, butt stomps, transforming into a vehicle?! Yup, Yoshi's Island had freaking everything and killer gameplay to boot. Thats why its my favourite to this day.

I don't know I loved the Super Mario Bro's for the Snes, the first one maybe. I don't really remember whats its called, but it had mario with a cape riding yoshi on the cartridge. I loved that game I could play it for hours finding all the mystery levels, secret passages, and just beating the game over and over! Classic

Super Mario World. I think its the pinnicle of the series. It has the best music of any of the games it has Yoshi it has some damn hard levels and Nintendo thank you when you play it on the last secret level whats better than that! Also whats with the irish nature of this podcast! I thought Mokong came from some exotic country I was expecting some classic accent but its like a tag team irish podcast! :grin:

Super Mario World. Bloody great game. None of the newer versions have ever lived up to it

I really liked the second Mario game, where Tails showed up and the second player could control him at the same time. The bonus stage where you collected the rings in the halfpipe was excellent.

Super Mario World for me. Like EM said it had a great amount of freedom for a game at that time. The fact you could revisit levels you had already beaten and try to find the other exit was pure genius. Also they hid a whole world from you to find , plus it was Yoshis first appearance.

From the vibrant colours to the awesome music Mario held his own when a certain hedgehog was gaining momentum.

Mario 64. A very hard choice to make, but considering it was the first proper 3D platformer ever, and it was still so perfect. It was just incredible. That feeling of being able to walk around in an open space for the first time, incredible.

VERY closely followed by SMB3

Super Mario Bros. 3. You know it makes sense. ;)

Addictive, great level design, awesome powerups. That's only the start of it. :)

I really liked the second Mario game, where Tails showed up and the second player could control him at the same time. The bonus stage where you collected the rings in the halfpipe was excellent.

I see........

My fav one is Super Mario 64, because it just engulfed me with magic.

Super mario land 2! Classic, portable and absolutely addictive.

----

End of question, weres my money?

SMB 3

Simply the best of all.Excelent level design, great grpahics, and perfect gameplay.

Teh lost levels cause you can get teh poisen mushroom and its not in any other mario game!

Nah, infact, that is the only mario game I've never been able to complete. But one day I will, one day!!!

Sign in to follow this