N-Europe

What next for Retro?

Shaithan

Okay after Retro studios is done with MP3:C what should they do next? A new Metroid taking place after the prime games or a completely new game? Should they breathe life into an old forgotten franchise or make something original? I think since they did such a great job on the Metroid series they should make a new Kid Icarus game, to flex their game developing muscles and escape the FPS style. What do you think?

I'd like them to go for something new. Maybe a new Nintendo franchise or something. They've pretty much revived the Metroid series, and even helped the new-ish gamers find out about past great Metroid games, thanks to Prime. Games like Super Metroid, which might have been before their time.

I would like them to surprise us and go for something different.

Something completely new. I don't care if they need to spend over 2 years creating it, I want a new franchise so they can (as they should do) leave their mark on Nintendo's heritage. As designers I trust them quite a lot.

hmmm, Raven Blade?

Nintendo needs RPG's... specially for japan, the more the merrier.

I'm still hoping for a Camelot RPG... IMO if anyone can do a Final Fantasy killer... it would be camelot... they were once Sega's equivalent to squaresoft, with the Shining Soul/Force series after all.

Okay after Retro studios is done with MP3:C what should they do next? A new Metroid taking place after the prime games or a completely new game? Should they breathe life into an old forgotten franchise or make something original? I think since they did such a great job on the Metroid series they should make a new Kid Icarus game, to flex their game developing muscles and escape the FPS style. What do you think?

agreed on the kid icarus thing.

they have shown that they do a good job at reviving old franchises.

but on that note, they could EASILY make something new.

whatever the case, anything from retro will be worth keeping an eye out for

Given that FPS' seem to be their forte, I think they should go for a traditional style FPS, because that was the one thing that frustrated me about GC, that there were no great single player FPS' and, so I think they should go for one in the vein of Quake or Unreal Tournament, with Online Multiplayer, that would be a killer app for sure and a perfect use of the new controller. Either that or an epic third person action game such as Prince Of Persia, God of war or Shinobi (infact any game with ninjas should be awesome) I dono, those are the two types of games I see them being really good at.

I'd like to see what Retro could make of the Starfox franchise or better a sequel to Starfox 64 (=LylatWars).

Other than that I think they should make something new that has nothing to do with an FPS. I'd like a platformer game or as some have pointed out an RPG.

Given that FPS' seem to be their forte, I think they should go for a traditional style FPS, because that was the one thing that frustrated me about GC, that there were no great single player FPS' and, so I think they should go for one in the vein of Quake or Unreal Tournament, with Online Multiplayer, that would be a killer app for sure and a perfect use of the new controller. Either that or an epic third person action game such as Prince Of Persia, God of war or Shinobi (infact any game with ninjas should be awesome) I dono, those are the two types of games I see them being really good at.

I wouldn't classify any of the Prime games (bar hunters) as a FPS. When designing them Retro have to work like adventure game designers. I think them doing a conventional FPS would be a mistake though, someone else can do that as Retro are more valuable elsewhere.

I wouldn't classify any of the Prime games (bar hunters) as a FPS. When designing them Retro have to work like adventure game designers. I think them doing a conventional FPS would be a mistake though, someone else can do that as Retro are more valuable elsewhere.

Here we go...Look im not going into whether its a FPS or a FPA, but the fact of the matter is that it's in First Person Perspective, and you shoot stuff. Reason enough for me to call it an FPS. What I was getting at was the fact that they handled the mechanics of it so well, with the jumping, the speed and the locations, it wouldn't be hard for them to add dual analog control and a few semi auto rifles now would it? That's one of the reasons I don't really love Prime Hunters as much as I thought I would, because the beam weapons do not suit a traditional FPS, and no, Retro probably isn't more valuable elsewhere, they're one of the only studios I see as being able to advance the FPS genre, recently, there's only been Halo and Far Cry that have blown me away, and I think that Retro have the capacity to do much better than those two games.

Well if that was peoples attitudes this gen then no wonder Gamecube never got any killer app FPS:indeed:

I have to agree on everything The Bard is saying, I don't see how they would be going into unknown territory with a FPS, they created the best 1st Person jump EVER!!..And though I don't notice it now, it felt realistic & uncrappy, unlike FPS jumps.

It wouldn't be difficult for them to move into a more FPS, anyone with an imagination can create better Story Mode FPS levels than Bungie :heh:

How about they make a FPS based on the Space Marines (?) on Metroid ;)

How about they make a FPS based on the Space Marines (?) on Metroid ;)

I would love that so much. They could get an online mode pretty easily as well, have different teams (space pirates vs space marines) and have nice online battles.

They like their building of metroid history, so they could build on that nicely

Online could be awesome too

Here we go...Look im not going into whether its a FPS or a FPA, but the fact of the matter is that it's in First Person Perspective, and you shoot stuff. Reason enough for me to call it an FPS. What I was getting at was the fact that they handled the mechanics of it so well, with the jumping, the speed and the locations, it wouldn't be hard for them to add dual analog control and a few semi auto rifles now would it? That's one of the reasons I don't really love Prime Hunters as much as I thought I would, because the beam weapons do not suit a traditional FPS, and no, Retro probably isn't more valuable elsewhere, they're one of the only studios I see as being able to advance the FPS genre, recently, there's only been Halo and Far Cry that have blown me away, and I think that Retro have the capacity to do much better than those two games.

Woah woah!

I'm not saying that Retro can't do FPS. I'm just saying that when it comes down to designing the game (as opposed to creating devastatingly immersive FP experience) the actual process is completely different. I agree with what you are saying, I just think that those skills could be best used somewhere else. Personally, I would like to see Retro get big enough to develop 2 games at once so they could carry on doing more FP stuff but also expand into new territories. To me, a dev sticking in one genre (especially one that they basically created) would let them get sloppy and unoriginal. After 3 games, I think it would be good for them to explore other things (just like actors getting type cast).

I didn't say that you said that Retro can't do FPS', but yeah, I agree with you on the diversity issue. I think Retro should selectively expand their personnel with ex members of Rare, Free Radical, Bunjie and various other studios, it would make them in some ways a "superstudio" and allow them to experiment with other types of games. The only thing Retro have yet to prove is that they can come up with an original concept for a game, and follow it through to make a great game. However to beak them into the market, they should go for a genre that is popular, and usually unavailable on Nintendo consoles, such as FPS's or Beat em ups, and this would cement them as one of the all time great Nintendo second parties,even though they're already the best in my eyes.

I'm hoping they'll continue with the more "adult" style, and make a GTA or GT-beater...

Or a more realistic FPS.

Would be cool if they made a prequel to the metroid games, where the Chozo weren't wiped out, and Samus didn't have her suit (basically using that gun she's gonna have in SSB:B)

I'm hoping they'll continue with the more "adult" style, and make a GTA or GT-beater...

Or a more realistic FPS.

Would be cool if they made a prequel to the metroid games, where the Chozo weren't wiped out, and Samus didn't have her suit (basically using that gun she's gonna have in SSB:B)

You know they already kinda did that with Metroid: Zero Mission for the GBA yeah? The suit is from that game.

Y'know a lot of Retro staff are largely made up from former members of big FPS developers, part of the reason why they so comfortably adapted Metroid Prime to the FPS genre. The main reason why Metroid games offered a less traditional method of controlling an FPS on the Gamecube was because standard controllers simply aren't suited to the genre, the only way to play has always been keyboard and mouse but with the advent of the Wii controller there should finally be a viable alternative which is clear with MP3 offering more standard FPS controls.

If they were to make a more standard FPS game based on a new franchise with online multiplayer that'd be fantastic although I would prefer it not to be set in space (Too much like Halo, Metroid, Doom, Quake etc. - I want something fresh!) or during WW2. I also wouldn't complain at them either being handed the reigns of a Nintendo franchise that needs refreshing (Kid Icarus or Starfox) or even returning to finish one of their two GC projects that were scrapped to finish Metroid Prime (Raven Blade and that car battling game that looked a bit like Twisted Metal Black).

Either way I'm sure they'll be entrusted with something big after MP3. :hehe:

Guest Stefkov

To try something new, maybe they could create a magical/fantasy mmorpg, or even better a spacy one.

i know FF might be this, but something like Planetside, but downscaled, because i doubt the Wii could manage 300 people at a time.

something like if it could manage like. Guild wars but spacy, You have some safe ares where all the Players are, and ou have some NPCS outside this area, you can go on missions or do whatever the hell you like with some friends. I doubt it would be able to mimmick WOW, having every single online player in the same area. A game like planetside, with a massive war happening, and you can do whatever you want in it would be really fun.

Or like Jy said it would be great for a mmo ww2 game. being able to fight on the front or in planes or something.

But im guessng this would probably be done by the ps3 or 360, however we dont know what the wii will be like.

Isn't Raven Blade from Silicon Knights?

Nope, Retro.

They had three games in the works as well as Metroid Prime early in the Gamecubes life span. All were cancelled to make sure Metroid Prime lived up to expectations.

They were...

Thunder Rally (A Car Combat game in the style of Twisted Metal Black)

Raven Blade (A Fantasy RPG)

NFL Retro Football (A Licensed NFL American Football Title)

Personally I want Retro to explore a new franchise, let them be creative and explore their own ideas. If anything I think they should create a full, expansive game that incorporates the WiiMote in some way or another.