Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Super Mario Galaxy

Ashley

Obviously we don't agree on the often-fixed camera. I think it was really annoying at times and that Nintendo could have done a better job. But I didn't hate the camera all the time. It was all right in most places, but there was a few times where it was impossible to control Mario properly because of the camera, and there was no way of adjusting it.

I still fail to see how a free camera wouldn't work. The camera would automatically adjust to a predefined angle (like it does now), but if you didn't like it, you could use the D-pad to move the camera: pressing a direction would turn the camera that way around Mario (Mario stays in the camera's center). The first person view could be mapped to the 1 button. I would really like to try out this option, as I think it would work pretty well.

But don't misjudge my complaints. I absolutely love Galaxy, it is by far one of (if not THE) best game for the Wii so far, and I enjoy it very much. :) The camera thing was the only thing I could highlight as something that annoyed me, and still so it is only a mild annoyance. Galaxy is without doubt the most thought-through and finished Wii game to date (perhaps together with Corruption, but that game never really caught on to me).

BUT Danny don't you see how the position of the camera is often used to increase the challenge and also to show you what they want you to see...who knows zooming in and out and all over the place, all the time may make certain parts of the game look terrible.

Good point flameboy. The way the camera is used on some levels wouldn't work with a free camera. An example of this is the purple coin challenge on Druttlenought (spel?) when you have to work out that the axis changes (when you're collecting coins vertically) and you now have to press up-down and not left-right.

BUT Danny don't you see how the position of the camera is often used to increase the challenge and also to show you what they want you to see...who knows zooming in and out and all over the place, all the time may make certain parts of the game look terrible.

I admit I had not considered the challenge aspect, but I still think in some cases it's not so much a challenge as it's simply a troublesome annoyance (and in some places disorienting). I see your point with them showing me what they want me to see, though I doubt it would make the game look terrible.

You guys have given me some points to think about, and maybe a free camera isn't the way to go. I'm not saying it isn't, but I'm not saying it is, either. It would be nice to be able to try it to see how it would work out.

Perhaps a third option we haven't even considered is the better solution, who knows? It's hard to draw conclusions about how this and that would work out without being able to try it. I would love to try the free camera option, but perhaps it's down to personal preferences in the end.

But a free roaming camera doesn't necessarly defeat a fixed-camera mode. I mean normally the fixed camera is good but for example with the press of a button you rotate it around Mario and with another button the camera goes back into fixed mode.

That's actually exactly what I had in mind with my suggestion in my last post. It seems to me it would work brilliantly.

I admit I had not considered the challenge aspect, but I still think in some cases it's not so much a challenge as it's simply a troublesome annoyance (and in some places disorienting). I see your point with them showing me what they want me to see, though I doubt it would make the game look terrible.

You guys have given me some points to think about, and maybe a free camera isn't the way to go. I'm not saying it isn't, but I'm not saying it is, either. It would be nice to be able to try it to see how it would work out.

Perhaps a third option we haven't even considered is the better solution, who knows? It's hard to draw conclusions about how this and that would work out without being able to try it. I would love to try the free camera option, but perhaps it's down to personal preferences in the end.

That's actually exactly what I had in mind with my suggestion in my last post. It seems to me it would work brilliantly.

You see try replaying some of the levels and it is clear to see that fixed camera angle is deliberate, The Honeycomb Galaxy instantly springs to mind on numerous occasions. I'm just saying a free roaming camera isn't the be all and end all and a fixed camera can help supplement gaming challenge if done well. Of course though that is not to say there aren#t plenty of games where a fixed angle can make things seem impossible.

You see try replaying some of the levels and it is clear to see that fixed camera angle is deliberate, The Honeycomb Galaxy instantly springs to mind on numerous occasions. I'm just saying a free roaming camera isn't the be all and end all and a fixed camera can help supplement gaming challenge if done well. Of course though that is not to say there aren#t plenty of games where a fixed angle can make things seem impossible.

I've never implied that. :) I'm just saying there are times where the fixed camera made it impossible for me to navigate Mario the way I wanted e.g. when running on the side of one of the flying saucers in the Space Junk Galaxy. And it was hard to get an overview of some of the levels, sometimes even disorienting. But yes, I can see those things being deliberately done. The fixed camera just makes me almost claustrophobic at some points. :)

Yeah I saw that Gametrailers Game of the Year award earlier today, and what can I say, I'm genuinely suprised they picked Mario. I mean, it seems like the "cool" choice to overlook our princess saving hero in favour of the other "epic" games that came out like Halo 3, Bioshock and Mass Effect and I pretty much expected GT to choose one of these HD odysseys. But when they unveiled it as Galaxy, my respect level for the website went up several notches. I was happy to see that someone had the sheer balls to choose Mario, the game that epitomises all that is right with the industry- bringing happiness, satisfaction and even joy to the players. I'm very impressed with GT.

Also, kudos to Metroid Prime 3 for getting in there and representing for the Wii. Its another game that gets overlooked alot in favour of the other "big hitters" where in fact, its just as big a franchise as any- if not bigger.

GameSpot?

GameSpot chooses a Wii game for GOTY?

That's it, the world ends here and now.

Yup, the real GameSpot!!1one11!!!! :eek:

Can't link as I'm at work....

But quite funny see the big, fat beardy guy introducing it as GotY!!! He just looks like an XBox 360 player!

Does anyone have the Purple Coin music? I love it :D

Did my first purple coin thing up at The Gate, damn that was hard to control Mario in flight but I guess if I have to do it enough times I'll get used to it. I have seventy stars now, and I'm glad that some of them were fairly lengthy to get in comparison to... like every other one so far. The "special one" (not Mourinho, but I can't be sure yet) awaits but I'm knocking about progressing through the observatories a while longer. I'm liking the hub more and more, as it comes more to life its pretty class, I'm up to what I imagine is the top now. Wonder if there are any more after? Only time will tell...