Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Rate the last film you saw

Katie

I find comparisons to the book pointless. It can't be made into a film unless you turn it into a Heimat style marathon which just isn't commercially viable.

In comparison to the book, it pales. As a film, it fails, not because of the script (as would be the case if the problem was "it's not as good as the book") but because Snyder couldn't carry the film through to the end. Terrific first half, then a slowly deteoreorating second half... with some very unpolished scenes... like the sex one you just mentioned.

My beef with it is not that it's worst than the book, as the script was very well adapted, but that it collapses upon it's own weight basically for a general lack of cohesiveness.

In comparison to the book, it pales. As a film, it fails, not because of the script (as would be the case if the problem was "it's not as good as the book") but because Snyder couldn't carry the film through to the end. Terrific first half, then a slowly deteoreorating second half... with some very unpolished scenes... like the sex one you just mentioned.

My beef with it is not that it's worst than the book, as the script was very well adapted, but that it collapses upon it's own weight basically for a general lack of cohesiveness.

What was wrong with the sex scene? Unpolished? What are you jabbering on about?

The film's plot is nowhere near as important as 'the dilemmas of functioning in a world losing hope', and Snyder did a damn good job of that.

I understand the lack of cohesiveness relative to the comic but in itself I didn't see a problem. Any relatives to the comic are stupid; not worth mentioning.

Roger Ebert agrees with me and, as the greatest film critic in existence, it only bolsters my view of the film.

What was wrong with the sex scene? Unpolished? What are you jabbering on about?

The film's plot is nowhere near as important as 'the dilemmas of functioning in a world losing hope', and Snyder did a damn good job of that.

I understand the lack of cohesiveness relative to the comic but in itself I didn't see a problem. Any relatives to the comic are stupid; not worth mentioning.

Roger Ebert agrees with me and, as the greatest film critic in existence, it only bolsters my view of the film.

1st off, stop basing what you think on the Roger Ebert's of the world, ok? Because the critics are pretty much just showing the complete bunch of assholes they are because they're hating the film for the stupidest reason ever, which is that it collapses because it sticks to the original too much, and reveres it too much. That much I can't judge as I can't see the movie through the eyes of someone who has never read the book. That much being said, here's my two cents:

The plot is all very well adapted, I really like what Snyder's team did with the story (except for Rorschach, they kinda changed his backstory for the worse...). The problem was never the plot, it's that Snyder obviously lost track of his own work halfway through, because I can tell you right here, I was truly loving the damn film up to a certain point, but then, in comes the part where decisions have to be made on how to keep things going, and that's when Snyder's efforts fell flat upon themselves. The whole film starts feeling disjointed and very amateur-ish in it's execution, especially in the sex scene, the prison break scene and the final scene... Yes, unpolished, up to a certain point you have a film with virtually no major flaws to speak of, which has no problem in doing things it's own way and is completely unrelenting and uncompromising. Then all of a sudden, in comes a sex scene straight out of glossy hollywood, joined together with an overclimatic feel and one of the worst audio placements I've ever witnessed in any film. In one word? Cheesy. Unnecessary. He could've turned that scene into a regular sex scene, with to real people, as he so hard had worked to make them into up to that point, but no, he had to go all grandiose and turn it into the most climatic scene in the film... which would be just fine if the whole film carried on in that tone up to the end, but no... in the end you have a scene where a guy reveals that HE JUST TRICKED THE WHOLE DAMN WORLD INTO SAVING ITSELF FROM A NUCLEAR HOLOCAUST, by sacrificing millions of people and completely outcasting one of his friends, and everyone's acting like they're walking a dog in the park... where the fuck's the climax now? Now that you really should've used the climax, after you got everyone's hopes up for it after that sex scene and the completely action packed prison break scene, you treat the new world's dawn with apathy!! That, my good sir, is uncohesiveness! This isn't like Funny Games, this isn't a cinematic statement! This isn't unrelenting or uncompromising... this is just plain bad film making. And don't come crying to me about how "he did it to break away from conventions", because the guy we're talking about here got himself bullied into cutting almost 50 mins of film... and he didn't even fight back, he just nodded (by the way, I have yet to see the real film, as the director's cut that's coming out on DVD, that's the one I really care about and am looking forward to). Snyder has talent... but he lacks the balls to carry out his job the way he wants to do it himself... because that first hour... that first hour of film is some of the best film I've seen in the last few years!! And that's the spirit he got bullied out of, that's the movie he didn't have the balls to make... because without even knowing it, I'd bet everything that the god damned sex scene and prison scene would've been quite different if he had the final say.

I'm not saying this is a terrible film, because it isn't... and it certainly doesn't shame the book... as the script is the perfect adaptation of the comic... the film's true problem isn't that the book is better... but that it could've been much better without changing the god damn script. It could've been a brilliant film. It could have.

Watchmen

I loved it, comparing an adaption of a book to film is idiotic as they are both art forms that differ greatly from each other so I´m not gonna whine about how one thing is better then the other.

The strongest point of the movie is it´s visuals, it looks fantastic but a bit overkill at a time like as it´s compensating for something. A bit too much slow-mo moments for me.

Story wise, I´m gonna agree with Oxigen, some scenes are great adaptions from the book but some seem to be there for the sake of fidelity but not context

My favourite scene would be Manhattans walk on Mars but I felt it could be longer to bring the whole scene from the novel but the movie was already over 3 hours soooo

My biggest beef with the movie was the music, it seemed so out of place in many scenes and took the seriousness of a lot of scenes.

Also:

While Dr.Manhattan would be a big threat the Squid seems like something more that humanity would unite because, it´s something completely outlandish and we know nothing off it except it wants us dead

But overall I had a blast watching it and I came out thinking that I want to see it again.

Also on adaption from book to movie and all that stuff.

If I want to see something made completely like the source material I´ll stick with the source material.

You are right.

About the film.

I was expecting a lot worse. I think that's why I'm so forgiving.

Hey, I was expecting it to be worse too. In fact, the only thing that was as bad as I expected it to be was Rorschach' overdone voice. Perfect casting, though (except the Silk Spectre II... she's very pretty but she's neither great nor terrible, just plain bland). And the scenes with Jon were quite literally perfect.

Hey, I was expecting it to be worse too. In fact, the only thing that was as bad as I expected it to be was Rorschach' overdone voice. Perfect casting, though (except the Silk Spectre II... she's very pretty but she's neither great nor terrible, just plain bland). And the scenes with Jon were quite literally perfect.

Yeah, after the Heaven and Hell experience of 300 (Although I do enjoy watching it now) I was just not holding any hope.

The strange thing about Silk Spectre II is that's the impression I built when reading the comic. I thought she was a bit bland and that her mother was a reason for this. In that respect, she suited me fine.

What did they change from Rorschach past? My memory is failing me.

I wish they'd spent a minute or more extra on Dr Manhattan putting himself together. I loved that bit in the comic and I felt it was a bit rushed.

Totally agree with the opening credits.

Also:

While Dr.Manhattan would be a big threat the Squid seems like something more that humanity would unite because, it´s something completely outlandish and we know nothing off it except it wants us dead

Also it had the psychic's mind which they filled with all those fucked up thoughts that it spreads when it explodes and you hear about that pregnant woman who scratches out her baby because she thinks it's eating her alive.

What did they change from Rorschach past? My memory is failing me.

first off, the way he talks to the doctor, secondly, they don't mention a lot of the things he did... and they make him much more psycho than sociopath by killing the guy with the butcher's knife instead of lighting the house on fire and leaving the butcher's knife at his grasp for thim to cut himself free from the handcuffs. In the film, he just plain kills the guy, no moral discharge.

That much I can't judge as I can't see the movie through the eyes of someone who has never read the book.

I'll do that. I can't be bothered to buy the book, wait for said book, and trawl for what people seem to be able to complete in two days yet mention how disjointed the whole book is set out, with fake[?] news clippings etc.

He´s not batman for fuck´s sake!

I assume his voice is like the bullshit gravely sound produved by Bale?

I'll do that. I can't be bothered to buy the book, wait for said book, and trawl for what people seem to be able to complete in two days yet mention how disjointed the whole book is set out, with fake[?] news clippings etc.

The fact it's different formats (The mainc comic, the news/book clippings and the pirate story) doesn't make it bad or hard to read..:blank:

---

I thought Silk Spectre was fine, as I was indifferent to her, just like I was in the book. I like that in the end, we don't really like any of the characters that much.

I think they should have kept in Rorscachs comment about hating her costume though, s it would have made more sense in the film than it did in the book.

Thing I had with Silk Spectre II is she's meant to be what, 30-odd? And I kept thinking "Malin Akerman is just a kid"...turns out she's 31 soon. I did like the subtle ageing they did on her, compaing her contemporary self with the flashbacks. I do like Malin Akerman though so I enjoyed SSII whereas in the comic book she was okay but...

Anyway I enjoyed it. Obviously some bits missing and all that blah blah but an enjoyable film. I would certainly see it again.

Although...

In the comic book the post attack Manhatten was brutal. Four pages of people bleeding all over the street. In the film it just seemed like another attack on NYC.

Death Note: The Last Name

I half-expected the ending but I was sort of shocked as well. It was a very good sequel and, according to people out there, there's going to be another Death Note movie called 'L Change The World' and an American remake (which I'm dreading)

7/10

Battle Royale 1 + 2

Both are my favourite movies. Though the first one is way better, the second one is still entertaining enough. And there's going to be another american remake of Battle Royale ( :( )

9/10

Last night, there was a party. Richter was invited. He didn't show up. I wonder what happened to him.

Total Recall

Typical crazy, over the top typical Arnie film. Bloody good fun too, even at 1-3am. Much love to EEVIL for the package that was, indeed, sealed with DEEP TROUBLE :D

Changeling

Loved it. Jolie was brilliant in her role, and the story was fascinating. I loved it how slowly developed, and I could feel her frustration when no one would listen to her.

Twilight

Nowhere near as bad as I expected it would be, but also nowhere near as good as all the fans seem to say it is. It's an average movie, with a couple of thrills. That's it. The acting was abysmal in places, but I liked the basic storyline of it. Meh.

Deathnote 2: The Last Name

Was a little more confusing than the first, considering the storyline seemed to constsantly evolve to another more confusing level. I liked the new characters, and the storyline kept me hooked throughout. The ending annoyed me, however.

A strange combination of a source material that is in the constant present of trying to explain its own existence with endless back-stories that are just defining their own necessity for characters that are relentlessly defined by a past that is currently, and will be, told to us, with a director that is so firmly etched into the present day that his movies will probably be remembered in association with their precise timing of their opening show, the number of tickets sold and not any form of culturally relevant reviews (because the reviews themselves are, like a colour in a line-up, perpeptually locked in a struggle of self-recognition, and thus actually never have anything meaningful to say), nor any profoud truths, which is quite scenester, if you ask me, that mesmerises the audience with its ceaceless promise of success that really only metamorphosises into little more than a "nooooooooooo" and a hilariously ironic exploded-body blood-splatter and a cat with horns that was treated as if even the film-makers were pretending it wasn't even there, let alone the audience as they hum along to the "oh, it's not being explained because there's a source material quick let's pre-order it on amazon for when it comes out with a "Now made into a feature film/motion picture/blockbuster/whore" tagline so we can really show that-dude-who-originally-wrote-that-souce-material-stuff-we've-heard-so-much-about-quick-let's-pre-order-a- who we love and send our appreciation bribes to.

I MEAN COME ON. This film is living off of the hype to such extremities it is getting away with murder.

slash out of ten.