N-Europe

Rate the last film you saw

Katie

In the not so distant future mankind has been separated into two different classes of society, genetically modified humans and the non-modified underclass minority. Also "space suits" are the sort of thing you get out of Marks and Spencer. Unwilling to accept his lot in life, Ethan Hawke sets out to beat the system with the help of reclusive and disabled swimming champion Jude Law. It's generally just a great film, with subtle twists and complex relationships between the characters.

My advice: Watch it at least twice.

that sounds baddass

Gattaca

It was on FiveUS just now. I love it. I've seen it about five times now. It gets better every time.

Its coming out on Blu Ray soon. I might just pick it up. Its out in America now but I think its region locked.

As Aimless said:

10,000 beats overdue/10

Drillbit Taylor

Saw it last week, just thought I'd say I agree with ReZourceman.

I kept thinking throughout the movie that its almost like they are younger versions of the superbad kids. Was it supposed a little like that?

There were some generally laugh out loud moments, which luckily everyone in the cinema did to. Also I kept poking my girlfriend when I realised the guy from Drake and Josh was in it :p I don't know why, I was just really surprised.

8/10

(Me and the girlfriend are huge fans of Drake and Josh too...She actually said after the film that he was kinda poorly cast, as he didnt have any funny lines whatsoever, and in that respect I kinda agree, but yeah. Also cameo from Dave Koechner = win, and Superbad was written by Seth Rogen aswell so its probably somewhat intentional or his style or something)

Im glad someone not obsessed with these folks enjoyed it too. :)

The Return

Russian film which questions what it means to be a man, and in a good way not by telling you what it means like Arnie's films.

single most depressing thing I've ever witnessed in my life, that. It's fucking immense though.

If only Jude Law wasn't in it!

Anyway,

http://www.avclub.com/content/feature/the_new_cult_canon_clerks

Thank God I'm not the only one.

And Kottke:

"I've never understood why Clerks was so well-regarded. Actually, now that I think about it, despite an affection for Mallrats shared by almost no one with any sense, I don't like any of Smith's movies but I do like Smith and the way that he goes about making his films...if that makes any sense at all. (Ok, Chasing Amy was alright and Jersey Girl was underrated.)"

My exact opinion. Woody Allen's Sleeper in between WoW tomorrow.

it's called an opinion so get over it.

personally though i'd give the matrix 7/10]

What! I think its the best film ever. From the elegantly crafted fight sequences to the provocative philisophical motifs. It has it all. I seriously can't emphasise how much I appreciate this movie.: peace:

I just try to pretend the sequels don't exist. :heh:

single most depressing thing I've ever witnessed in my life, that. It's fucking immense though.

I didn't find it depressing (and as it was mentioned in the lecture, still mean to see Dancer in the Dark but need for someone to die or something first, need to be in that dark place).

What I found depressing was some guys in my class talking about how the father was a good one, and how the kids were just asking bratty. I was like "kids are like that, and the guy was a shit father." (Well, I said it in a more profound way when everyone suddenly asked for my opinion but that was the crux of it)

Son of Ranbow

Some funny bits. Especially the bit where the bird hits the kid on the bike. Really strange/crap pacing.

4.8/10

4.8 out of 10 :confused:

You were aware this wasn't meant to be pure comedy right...?

Plus I don't like tea...

4.8 out of 10 :confused:

You were aware this wasn't meant to be pure comedy right...?

Plus I don't like tea...

Yeah, but they were the best bits since the rest of the film was over sentimental and forgettable. It starts over pretty well but just gets worse from there on. The relationships between the two boys is probably the one plausible constant in the film while the rest of the film becomes less and less plausible and cartoony. Its verging on being a weak ode to the 80s but ultimately its a weak coming of age film.

Superbad

There were several bits which I laughed out loud, but I'm not sure whether that was because of the drink or the actual funniness of the film.

It was good, but not excellent. Also, the ending was a bit impromptu, and the film is far too drawn out.

7/10