Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The Super Mario Bros. Movie (April 7th UK)

Ashley

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

Even with the common misguided write off that it's "for kids" (as if they can't appreciate a good narrative).

Man, I hate that notion. It's no excuse. Plenty of Kids movies can hit just as hard as any other movie. There's a damn good reason why Lilo & Stitch is my favourite Disney movie, and it isn't just because of wacky alien hijinks, it's because it's a relatively realistic depiction of the issues families can face with child services.

That movie's great! I wanna watch it again now.

• Like 1

A kids film doesn't even have to be deep to be good. My favourite animated film is Megamind - the plot isn't anything deep or meaningful, but it keeps you entertained and guessing all the way through. 

3 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Man, I hate that notion. It's no excuse. Plenty of Kids movies can hit just as hard as any other movie. There's a damn good reason why Lilo & Stitch is my favourite Disney movie, and it isn't just because of wacky alien hijinks, it's because it's a relatively realistic depiction of the issues families can face with child services.

That movie's great! I wanna watch it again now.

It's a wonderful film. Got my niece into it so when my mom and I went to Hawaii recently we had to tell her Stitch was on holiday to stop her asking to join. But it does have a really nice message about made family. 

And I found out recently there's a manga where Stitch lands in fuedal Japan and I need to read that. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One thing I didn't expect to come out of this movie was the Luna becoming a nihilistic meme on Spanish* Instagram. Seen a few just browsing but here's an example I could find again. 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CsZQlSOOEw9/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

(My Spanish is basic but it's something like "happy birthday friend. Another year older, another year closer to death")

*Not sure whether it's a specific Spanish-speaking country

Watched this at the cinema today, much better than I thought it was going to be. My eyes dotting all over the place for all the lil tributes/homages etc.

I think it's the music that made this for me* and will probably invest legally in the OST.

*Not that dogshit Peaches stuff though

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
16 hours ago, WackerJr said:

Has anyone heard when this is likely to drop on any of the streaming services without having to buy or rent it, in the UK?

I haven't yet found anything beyond paying for it on Prime.

If you have Sky, buy it digitally with the blu-ray, then take the blu-ray down to CEX

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Posted (edited)

The Super Mario Bros movie was the most profitable film of 2023:

https://deadline.com/2024/05/the-super-mario-bros-movie-profits-1235902894/

17fdc649-ff10-4f9a-98c7-848ebb75abc9.png

Not only is The Super Mario Bros Movie the highest-grossing Illumination movie of all time with $1.36 billion at the global box office, but it’s also the most profitable at $559M, besting Minions‘ net of $502M in 2015.

Edited by Helmsly
  • Thanks 1