NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Advance Wars 1+2 Re-Boot Camp (21st April 2023)

1 hour ago, Julius said:

Genuine question for those who have played the original: I'm thinking of picking up a Wii U in the next few weeks, is there any reason that I should wait for this rather than picking up the GBA versions based on what we've seen so far?

The GBA art style is better. :heh:

Shame about the delay, have good memories of playing the first game on Christmas Day I was hoping to relive.

• Like 1

Yeah I've got good memories of the games too. It's a genre I rarely play but when I do I seem to enjoy it. 

Also just randomly remembered that my mentor at uni worked on the second one I believe. 

I am actually relieved to hear about this! The radio silence was getting weird, at least this way I know they're paying attention to the game's quality. Take yer time, WayForward, balance those COs, test that netcode, refine that map builder, add Risky Boots as an unlockable CO, all that good stuff

Until then... I don't know, let's listen to Sturm's theme:

I love that mini-me. Which makes me wonder, which design will Sturm have in the remake? AW1? AW2? Somehow both?

6 hours ago, Ashley said:

jontron-why-would-you-do-that.gif

The man's itching for some legal, non-NSO Metroid. Let him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

The man's itching for some legal, non-NSO Metroid. Let him.

Or he wants to play some EarthBound.

Weird that StarFox 2 is on NSO but none of the 2 EarthBound games on the WiiU are. It bugs me.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Wii U VC selection is excellent.  It’s definitely a good reason to pick up a Wii U right now.  The selection of digital Wii games is also surprisingly good.

Also if you want to hack it? You can use it to play GameCube games on your Wii U Gamepad!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

The Wii U VC selection is excellent.  It’s definitely a good reason to pick up a Wii U right now.  The selection of digital Wii games is also surprisingly good.

Yeah, it certainly took a long time to get there, but the WiiU makes a really solid Virtual Console machine now, especially if you're looking for first-party games.

The two GBA Golden Suns are there as well. And the DS Pokémon Mystery Dungeons. (Although Rescue Team is a bit redundant now that the Switch remake exists)

content-4-36574-advancewarsrebootcampbanner.jpg

Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp has been delayed until Spring 2022

Now up on the main page.

Press release and reveal trailer.

- - - - -

• Like 1

So, apparently the (estimated) release date for the game has been showing as 8th April 2022 for a week or so now on the eShop?

ZwpeiRD_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Thought I'd double check this against the Nintendo Store, and sure enough...

FDzFgnrX0AQvKXv?format=jpg&name=large

There's no way a date like that is a placeholder, right? But then there's the small print captioning the fuzzy promo art saying it's planned for release in Spring 2022, so who knows ::shrug:

Pretty bizarre that this slip-up hasn't been picked up and corrected by anyone over at Nintendo yet, regardless of its accuracy. And if it is accurate, I've got to admit, that's a bit later than I was expecting (I thought maybe late Feb / March). 

• Thanks 1

It probably is the real date.  It would already be a pretty huge 4 month delay as-is; doubt that it needs an even further delay than that.

7 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

It probably is the real date.  It would already be a pretty huge 4 month delay as-is; doubt that it needs an even further delay than that.

Wish TPC would take notes from this...

• Sad 2

Right!

I mentioned in the Direct thread that there was a leak a few months back. A developer at WayForward apparently reached out to a Youtuber (someone who plays strategy games almost exclusively, and is hyped for the return of Advance Wars) and gave an update on several things regarding the game, like specific animations, redesigns, content, polishes, etc. This Youtuber is not the type to spread rumours for clickbait, and coupled with how credible the content itself was, this felt more legit than usual. I myself didn't share anything until I had some confirmation of its veracity.

Ironically, the most unbelievable part of the leak was confirmed in this trailer: there's partial voice acting, and Max specifically is voiced by Arin "Egoraptor" Hanson of the Game Grumps (that is definitely his voice in the trailer). They also said Sturm comes with his AW2 design, but expels smoke like his AW1 self (also confirmed by the trailer).

A significant part of that leak is that the developer felt like the online was still undercooked, barely tested. Since this was some time before the delay, it seems that the likeliest explanation behind said delay may be that the online multiplayer needed more work.

(On account of the youtuber himself being a reprehensible person, here's a link to a summary of the leak, if you want to check out the rest of its contents)

And as for the trailer itself... I think Flak looks amazing! Of all characters! Sturm be looking super menacing as well.

Good to know that map designer and both of the War Rooms are back! We're getting plenty of replayability.

99c.png

:bouncy:

Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

Ironically, the most unbelievable part of the leak was confirmed in this trailer: there's partial voice acting, and Max specifically is voiced by Arin "Egoraptor" Hanson of the Game Grumps (that is definitely his voice in the trailer).

No way! I knew I recognised that voice from somewhere. Awesome choice!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Right!

I mentioned in the Direct thread that there was a leak a few months back. A developer at WayForward apparently reached out to a Youtuber (someone who plays strategy games almost exclusively, and is hyped for the return of Advance Wars) 

I knew who you were talking about before clicking the link. I don't know if you know what happened 2 years ago, but it's summed up in this tweet/video. The video is over an hour, but he sums it up at the start.

https://twitter.com/Mekkkkah/status/1490407950137102345

Looking at some of his video titles/thumbnails suggests he hasn't changed.

Edit: see also: https://twitter.com/ryntai/status/1490808402813071366

18 hours ago, Ike said:

I knew who you were talking about before clicking the link. I don't know if you know what happened 2 years ago, but it's summed up in this tweet/video. The video is over an hour, but he sums it up at the start.

...I was aware of this, yes (summarised, he's a sleaze and a sexual harasser), but it somehow slipped my mind when I went to fetch the source. I'll replace the Youtube link with a text summary from elsewhere, which is what I should've done from the start.

I was overly careless regarding this whole thing, I apologize.

I wonder if Nintendo could delay this title due to the recent war breaking out. I don't think they should but given the content of the games it might be relevant and make marketing quite hard. 

6 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

I wonder if Nintendo could delay this title due to the recent war breaking out. I don't think they should but given the content of the games it might be relevant and make marketing quite hard. 

Yeah, I think it could be a case of lightning striking twice as Advance Wars on GBA was delayed due to 9/11. :hmm: 

• Like 1

I doubt it.  It’ll be releasing around 1.5 months after the invasion started.  The conflict might even be over by then.

But yeah, Advance Wars is really unlucky when it comes to release timing!

Yeah I think it will get delayed. 1.5 months isn't that much especially since the advertising push will have to start well before then...

FUCK!

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please don't cancel this game Nintendo... I beg you! Please... not like this... I've waited so long for a new Advance Wars release... This is too cruel... :cry:

Very respectful move by Nintendo.

As much as I was looking forward to it, at the end of the day it's just a video game. People are dying, families being seperated from loved ones and thousands left without anywhere to go. Gaming can easily afford to take a backseat to such events.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

FUCK!

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please don't cancel this game Nintendo... I beg you! Please... not like this... I've waited so long for a new Advance Wars release... This is too cruel... :cry:

It's just getting delayed, it won't be getting cancelled. This is a much better and more obvious reason than we got for the previous delay, so hopefully it'll be fine?

Depending on how things go - which is obviously completely out of their control, so if things continue as they are now for the next few months, it could be a while, but I think this might be a more immediate response to the news being so front and centre at the moment - I could see them pushing it to mid-May.

May looks fairly quiet anyways, and there's currently a noticeable gap between Switch Sports on April 29th and Fire Emblem Warriors on June 10th, so I imagine that's where they'd want to put it. But like I said, whether they get to is kind of out of their hands ::shrug:

Yeah... this game is totally getting cancelled.  We got incredibly lucky that this game even got announced and made at all.  They're not going to throw even more money at this game after it has already been heavily delayed once before, it's just too niche for them to bother at this point.  Hell, it didn't even have a Japanese release planned at all!

The Ukranian conflict isn't going to die down any time soon; probably not until next year... and it's gonna take too long for the release of a game like AW to be considered "acceptable" from a PR standpoint for it to see release on the current Switch before it gets replaced by Switch 2... and there's no way that Nintendo would be willing to spend the money needed to port the game over from Switch 1 to Switch 2...

RIP Advance Wars :(

Edited by Dcubed

So much hyperbole.

But yeah, it was always going to be delayed in light of recent events, and it's the obvious and correct move. Not much to argue with really.

Sign in to follow this