Cube

Your 2021 Gaming Diary

A few more completed games to add to my diary, starting with...

The Medium.

At first I was really enjoying this game, it felt like a modern day version of the classic Resident Evil titles, but as time went on it became less and less enjoyable. I was expecting them to do some cool stuff with the split-screen mechanic (where you control the same character across two unique versions of the environment in real-time) but unfortunately it never really happened, the majority of the puzzles involving the split-screen were in fact pretty disappointing. :hmm: There was basically no action in the game either apart from some stealth sections, but these were often infuriating due to it not always being clear exactly how to avoid detection, and failure would usually result in having to go through unskippable cutscenes/dialogue again. :shakehead So yeah, the game certainly had potential, but ultimately it was a bit meh.

Next up I turned to something that I knew wouldn't let me down, Yakuza 3! :cool:

I was very pleased to see the remastered collection arrive on Game Pass, because having started playing the Yakuza series with the 4th game back on PS+, I'd never gotten around to actually playing 3. The original release of Yakuza 4 had an extensive catch-up mode though, so I was aware of what went down in Yakuza 3, it made playing through it now a weirdly nostalgic yet fresh experience. :) I think the main thing that struck me is the pacing of it, it really does take ages to get going! Having said that, I quite liked all the early game stuff involving the orphanage, it was surprisingly chilled-out and helps to showcase just what a great character Kiryu is. Speaking of which...

Spoiler

...that part where Rikiya is killed and Kiryu absolutely breaks down! :o Holy shit! :cry:Super emotional scene and an utterly fantastic performance by Kiryu's voice actor. Amazing stuff. :bowdown:

And as is always the case with Yakuza, there were plenty of funnies too, especially....

:laughing:

Reminded me of this. :grin:

Anyway, it was great to finally experience the events of Yakuza 3 first-hand, and the remaster was very good indeed. The increased resolution and frame rate on PC is awesome, the only downside is the FMV scenes I guess (which are heavily compressed and really showing their age at this point) but other than that it was spot-on.

I have since downloaded Yakuza 4. :D Not sure if I'll replay the entire thing (probably not) but I definitely want to at least check out Akiyama's chapter again, mainly for the parts with Hana. :love:

And last up is UnderMine.

This is a game that I'd been playing on and off for a while now, gradually chipping away at it. I'm not a huge fan of the roguelike genre, but this one got me hooked with it's charming presentation and enjoyable gameplay. There are many nods to the Legend of Zelda series in there too which also helped. ;) I think the reason it took me so long to finish is mainly because I wasn't very good at it :heh: but also that I'd only ever play it in short bursts as it's a great pick up and play game. Although it did get slightly annoying about halfway through, when the cost of upgrades increased dramatically but obtaining/keeping enough gold to purchase them was tricky. Made it much more of a grind than it needed to be really. But yeah, I got there in the end. :)

The same cannot be said for Cyber Shadow, which some of you may have noticed is missing from the list below, despite me mentioning it earlier in this thread. The truth is (and as I expected) I just wasn't able to stick with it. I get that they were going for punishing difficulty akin to the 8-Bit era, but in my opinion they took it too far. Or perhaps I'm just too old for it now. :heh: Either way, I simply didn't have the patience for it so decided to call it quits.

Games completed in 2021:

1. Tetris Effect: Connected
  2. Doom Eternal
  3. Dragon Quest XI
  4. The Medium
  5. Yakuza 3 Remastered
  6. UnderMine
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I never realised that you didn't play Yakuza 3. I know you started with 4 but I always assumed you picked it up after finishing the fourth entry.

I really enjoyed the orphanage stuff. It was a nice way to chill and get to know the kids he was taking care of. As for your spoiler, yeah, exceptional VA work, as is always the case in these games. 

Shame about Cyber Shadow but totally understandable. 

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I never realised that you didn't play Yakuza 3. I know you started with 4 but I always assumed you picked it up after finishing the fourth entry.

Nope, after 4 I picked up Yakuza Dead Souls (now there's a game that could do with a remaster!) and then I think I went through in the order the games were released, so... Yakuza 5, 0, Kiwami, 6 and Kiwami 2.

By that point the idea of returning to the PS3 to play Yakuza 3 wasn't very appealing :hehe: so it was a case of wait for a Kiwami 3 (which obviously never happened) or skip it. Then of course the remastered collection became a thing, and with that now being on Game Pass I finally had the perfect opportunity to play it. :)

• Like 1

More progress to report in Dark Souls... I now have defeated all four Lords!

Demon Ruins felt like a Boss Rush. Not only because there were three boss battles in such a short space of time but also because a lot of the regular enemies are former bosses like Taurus Demons and Capra Demons.

Ceaseless Discharge took me a few goes, Demon Firesage was surprisingly the hardest of the three given that he's effectively a reskin. The Centipede Demon was kind of tough but eventually managed to beat it after it wandered out onto solid platform. So then I went in to Lost Izalith but not before checking up on... SOLAIRE! PRAISE THE SUN!

Ahem... anyway after that I went to Lost Izalith and burned alive in the lava because I didn't realise I now had a ring that allowed me to survive the lava. Equipped that instead and ran into the lava, finding yet another bonifre (seriously, these two locations have five bonfires between them though none of them are warpable). After trying and failing to farm the Titanite Demon there I decided to do the Bed of Chaos next... and I'm not even sure if I can say I beat it properly because I died about 5 times, yet on multiple occasions the objective changed because the fight is checkpointed so you don't have to destroy the sides multiple tines. So the "successful attempt" was just running and jumping onto the branch that lead to the weak point... which dies in one hit? OK.

The boss might have been a bit more manageable if its sweeping hand attacks didn't knock you into bottomless pits and causing instant death... 

This however is not quite the complete end stretch of the game. I decided to upgrade my Demon Spear to Level 5 so went back to Anor Londo to get some Demon Titanite that I missed. Ended up getting enough to get the +5 Demon Spear. I also have a +15 Balder Side Sword so completely switched up my equipment for the late game. I think these two are pretty powerful weapons and the Demon Spear has now replaced my Silver Knight Spear +5 that I was using for about half the game. So long old friend...

I did get the "Prepare to Die Edition" so the DLC was preloaded onto the disc (I'm playing on PS3). I looked up how to get into the DLC and... I'm now in the Sanctuary Garden. This is where I currently am in the game and next time around I will be trying to do the DLC. I expect it might be harder than the final boss but I suppose this is as good a time as any to do this in game.

I replayed Saints Row IV. The superpowers make it an extremely fun game, lots of fun riffs of other games and some great lines ("That light had a family"). I definitely think it's the best in the series. Characters are a lot of fun, too. The Christmas DLC is a lot of fun. I wasn't a big fan of Enter the Domanatrix (BDSM jokes aren't my thing) but it was worth it for the "escape" scene and ending.

Also tried out Gat Out of Hell for the first time. Also a lot of fun - after a few upgrades, flying around with angel wings was a ton of fun. The big weakness is very few missions (mostly just challenges in the open world). Seems odd to let you play as Kinzie when the cutscenes give Gat all the credit anyway, but was still a blast to play. The musical number surprised me but I loved it. 

Most recently played The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. I do disagree with one thing about the lack of "hand holding" - something should make a hint to how the "Touch" thing means you have to do something (to begin with, I presumed you were left to your own devices in figuring stuff out instead of having to work out the "right" answer to be confirmed by the game. That said, once I figured it out, I enjoyed it much more. It was great discovering the "stories" along the way (I missed some but the game lets you warp to near the location near the end) and felt like I was actually figuring stuff out. Definitely the best "walking simulator" I've played. 

Spoiler

Completed

Donkey Kong 64 (Wii U) 101% - 1st Jan
Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order (PS4) Platinum - 5th Jan
Star Wars Squadrons (PS4) Main Story - 10th Jan
Bioshock Remastered (PS4) Main Story - 12th Jan
Bioshock 2 Remastered (PS4) Main Story + DLC - 16th Jan
Bioshock Infinite (PS4) Main Story + DLC - 21st Jan
Grim Fandango (PS4) - 25th Jan
The Secret of Monkey Island (PS4) - 27th Jan
Monkey Island 2 (PS4) - 29th Jan
Day of the Tentacle (PS4) - 30th Jan
WET (PS4) - 31st Jan
Star Wars Racer Revenge (PS4) Tournament - 31st Jan
GoldenEye (PC) - 3rd Feb
Concrete Genie (PS4) Platinum - 8th Feb
Little Nightmares (PS4) - 10th Feb
Moving Out (PC) - 14th Feb
Saints Row IV (PS4) - 17th Feb
Gat out of Hell (PS4) - 21st Feb
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (PS4) - 22nd Feb

List of Shame (Unfinished)
The Crew 2 (PS4) - Forced Online
The Medium (PC) - Tedious controls, weak puzzles
Darksiders (PS4) - Boring

Games With No End
Sea of Thieves (PC)

• Like 2

I've decided that Sekiro just isn't for me. I was buzzing after the Lady Butterfly and Genshiro fight but since then I've found that when I'm up against most bosses or sub-bosses, I'm actively trying to find ways of cheesing them. I appreciate what Miyazaki has tried to do here and when it works it's brilliant (Genshiro is better than any boss I've come across in any of his other games) but those moments don't come across often enough. 

I think it's great how they've tried to put less emphasis on just rolling and dodging (this was especially a problem with the combat in Dark Souls 3) and so trying to make the combat feel like actual, aggressive swordplay was a pretty brave decision, but it's just not my cup of tea. I'm also not a fan of skill trees, and it's a shame they're in the game. Maybe one day I'll come back to it.

Next up: Raging Loop on Switch and Bowser's Fury.

• Sad 2

I've decided that Sekiro just isn't for me. I was buzzing after the Lady Butterfly and Genshiro fight but since then I've found that when I'm up against most bosses or sub-bosses, I'm actively trying to find ways of cheesing them. I appreciate what Miyazaki has tried to do here and when it works it's brilliant (Genshiro is better than any boss I've come across in any of his other games) but those moments don't come across often enough. 
I think it's great how they've tried to put less emphasis on just rolling and dodging (this was especially a problem with the combat in Dark Souls 3) and so trying to make the combat feel like actual, aggressive swordplay was a pretty brave decision, but it's just not my cup of tea. I'm also not a fan of skill trees, and it's a shame they're in the game. Maybe one day I'll come back to it.

Git gud
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, Sheikah said:
16 hours ago, Goron_3 said:

Git gud

Lolllllll bugger off :D

Tbh, it's not the difficulty. I just don't find the moment to moment gameplay very exciting. Might jump back in at one point.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. Short but I liked it...I think. I'll put more detail in a spoiler tag just in case but still try to keep is spoiler free. I feel the puzzles could be a bit more complicated, and there was one that didn't really work from a logic point of view (as in there's an obvious solution, but as it's not the intended solution it doesn't work).

Spoiler

It's surprisingly dark and depressing, definitely not the cute game it looks like. One big moment in particular I think could have been handled better in terms of the story, but the gameplay impact and control still make it somewhat powerful of a moment. 

Transistor. I'm not a huge fan of "active pause" games, but really enjoyed this (although some near-end battles felt a bit annoying). Really nice style and great music.

After quite a long time I've finally been able to afford a game I've been wanting to play: Frostpunk.
(It's on sale on the PSN store, if anybody's interested)

It's a city-building game that incorporates a lot of survival mechanics. I haven't had a lot of time to properly give it a go, but I've managed to play a few minutes and get a basic idea of what this game is all about: misery, compromise and micromanagement.

You have to make decisions that are not that easy. For example: You can establish a law: How about child labour?
Pro: You get more workers and in turn resource gathering is more productive
Con: It's child labour Hope falls. And that is bad, because - if I understand it correctly - once hope is lost, you lose the game.

There are more pros and cons, of course, and a lot more laws you can establish.

oc9PDIr.jpg

I immediately lost 12 of my people after the first day. I may have done something wrong :laughing:

Can't wait to spend more time with Frostpunk. I can only imagine that the longer a game goes on, the more harrowing it gets.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, drahkon said:

After quite a long time I've finally been able to afford a game I've been wanting to play: Frostpunk.
(It's on sale on the PSN store, if anybody's interested)

It's a city-building game that incorporates a lot of survival mechanics. I haven't had a lot of time to properly give it a go, but I've managed to play a few minutes and get a basic idea of what this game is all about: misery, compromise and micromanagement.

You have to make decisions that are not that easy. For example: You can establish a law: How about child labour?
Pro: You get more workers and in turn resource gathering is more productive
Con: It's child labour Hope falls. And that is bad, because - if I understand it correctly - once hope is lost, you lose the game.

There are more pros and cons, of course, and a lot more laws you can establish.

I immediately lost 12 of my people after the first day. I may have done something wrong :laughing:

Can't wait to spend more time with Frostpunk. I can only imagine that the longer a game goes on, the more harrowing it gets.

This is one my favourite indie games. Finished it a long time ago, but every now and then I start it up again just to have one more go on the first campaign or free play.

Edited by Tales
  • Like 2