N-Europe

What is this..?

Nintendork

I know it might seem stupid but what is this for?

nintendorevolutionfront38il.jpg

Part of me thinks.. It's the gamecube drive.. but surely that would be really inneficient use of engineering space? because there would need to be two lasers that way probably.

Besides I thought I heard the console would be dual loading single slot loading disc drive thingy?

Could it be some kind of motion sensor laser thingy? Or the bay for expansion for the DVD dongle/remote? Like an I.R reciever or something?

Because as we can see in this picture: newer-better-nintendo-revolution-pics-20050517085520971.jpg

It seems that Nintendo plans to have the chipset mounted from the top with GC memory cards and controllers all fitting in there.. we heard there might be SD expansions.. or something like that.

Perhaps it's merely an antenna for the wifi? I don't know but could someone tell me/shed light on this..

edit. okay everyone misunderstood, I meant the first picture which i've now embedded into the post.

what we know? the top of the console takes 4 gamecube controllers, perhaps wavebird controller dongles and 2 gamecube cards.

it appears that gamecube and revolution discs all go into the one slot loading drive and nintendo have engineered a system for gamecube discs.

what we don't know is what the little panel is for on the front.. part of me thinks it is for SD cards and we have contrary comments in the thread.

some say it's confirmed for SD cards (this i'm unaware of) and from a engineering point of view it would be easier to put SD card slots on the top.. and they just forgot to do it on the prototype shots.

the other poster believes that iwata said "the revolution is in here" which suggests it could be more than SD.. though we do know that SD will be storing the downloadable content.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as i remember, when IGN or whoever on IGN got to look at the machine, Nintendo would not let them look in that part of the device, so its unknown.

It is not a gamecube drive because apparently the main drive accepts gamecube discs aswell as whatever media it will use.

Interesting, it would indeed seem far more logical to have one laser that loads GameCube discs all in one disc drive than whatever the hell was going through my mind.. I figured it could be some kind of rotating laser on a pivot that spins 180 degrees to read another disc.

Perhaps this could be related to the Revolution's final secret.. I remember seeing some obscure images of blue lasers coming out of it onto some kind of screen but everyone claimed they were fake.

But wouldn't it be easier to engineer the chipset to have Gamecube memory cards and SD memory cards all in the top? seems to make the front of the console less seemless too.

I know laptops manage it.. but they tend to be quite a pricey bit of kit, especially apple who have the slot loading drive away from the ports and they're all arranged on one side.

Kinda silly really.

It's 100% confirmed, thats where the SD cards go. The GC discs go in the same slot.

As far as I'm aware that's NOT confirmed, but probably is true (where else would the SD card slot go). If you have a link to an official Nintendo statement, then I would love to see it.

Dudes.......The Gamecube controllers go in those ports...and the Memory cards go in the ones at the side!!!

In other words what ShadowV7 said....I thought anyone with half a brain cell could figure that one out. Especially since Nintendo said you could use Cubetrollers and such with teh machine!!

Dudes.......The Gamecube controllers go in those ports...and the Memory cards go in the ones at the side!!!

In other words what ShadowV7 said....I thought anyone with half a brain cell could figure that one out. Especially since Nintendo said you could use Cubetrollers and such with teh machine!!

Euhm, they aren't talking about that top slot where everyone can see what goes in there. They are talking about the bay Under the drive slot

jesus what do you mean wot is this its self explaining its 4 gamecube pad ports and 2 gamecube mem card ports allso compatable with flash cards giving revolution the abillity to run 3 flash drives its not hard now is it come on fokes bit of common sence

he means THAT: http://img525.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nintendorevolutionfront38il.jpg

plus we found out that that's were the SD card goes.