NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

That was a great showing, so many games I want to play!

I quite like the design of the console. I need unique designs.

Beautiful design. Really digging it.

That was an awesome showing. They nailed it. Only one thing left to do...get the price POINT (@bob) right.

2 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Hmm was not expecting that design. 

Although boo at vertical stands. Such a pain. 

Oh it can be horizonal. Good. 

So I suspect the digital version is the lower priced model, in the event Microsoft try to undercut on the final price. Interesting move.

Like the look of the console though. Very sleek. But yeah, its gonna have to have the PSU like that to keep it cool otherwise that'll be blowing fire out the top.

Just now, Dcubed said:

Oh snap!! They're releasing a digital only model!?

Uh-oh, feels like they might be trying to nudge people towards digital only for next gen or two..?

Also the console is ugly. Looks like a Wii with a big collar.

God I wish we got a launch date!

The design is REALLY different to what they've done in the past. Fair play. My fiancee won't be happy that it's not available in black though!

Just now, Ashley said:

Oh it can be horizonal. Good. 

Phew. Hopefully I can throw a bag over that ugly thing.

Looks like something a concept designer from the year 2000 would come with if you told him the brief was "futuristic"

@bob looks like there will be two skews offering the consumer two different price points. Shame they didn't talk about backcompat though.

I like the console design. It's like a sexy router.

Though I do hope you can place it horizontally, too.

For those of you saying they nailed it and that it's a great showing, I really wish I could feel your enthusiasm.

I'm completely empty.

• Like 1

That was ok. I wouldn't say much of it looked "next gen"

Horizon 2 was always going to show up, shame no gameplay and even bigger shame it isn't a launch game. Not even a 2021 date suggests it's a while off :indeed:

Edited by Ronnie

Just now, nekunando said:

For those of you saying they nailed it and that it's a great showing, I really wish I could feel your enthusiasm.

I'm completely empty.

Shocker

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

Phew. Hopefully I can throw a bag over that ugly thing.

Looks like something a concept designer from the year 2000 would come with if you told him the brief was "futuristic"

Have you posted anything positive during this thing? 😋

I like how it kind of looks like someone asks a trenchcoat with the collar up. 

At the end of the day a console is something you don't actually look at. I seem to recall the PS4 was mocked when it was first shown because of its two section thing and then everyone just got over it. 

Fantastic showing. That's how you do it!

So many games, really promising! Looks like it is coming out this year after all @Dcubed.

Actually can't wait for this, I'm all in now. Only thing I'll say is that the console design itself I expect to be divisive!

Edited by Sheikah

Have you posted anything positive during this thing?

I like how it kind of looks like someone asks a trenchcoat with the collar up. 

At the end of the day a console is something you don't actually look at. I seem to recall the PS4 was mocked when it was first shown because of its two section thing and then everyone just got over it. 

Rule number one of trolls is to never engage. I know, I should be the last one giving this advice.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

God I wish we got a launch date!

Do we even really need one? We know it'll be Oct/Nov, that'll do for me.

The games look great. There were tons of things shown that I definitely want to play. Didn't see many games there that I thought "yeah, not playing that", which is a good sign. Great presentation! Deathloop looked fun as hell. 

Looking forward to the next generation. I'm going one console only again, and this will be the one. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nekunando said:

I'm completely empty.

Playstation have never had strong first years, but at least with Spider Man at launch (?) it feels like they're learning, and there's enough good looking games there to tide people over I think.

Playstation have never had strong first years, but at least with Spider Man at launch (?) it feels like they're learning, and there's enough good looking games there to tide people over I think.

I think the promise of these games to come will be a big selling factor for PS5.

Ahh, I thought I recognised the name Lucid Games; they're the ex Bizzare Creations folks! THAT's why the game looks so fun!

Anyway, it was a strong show overall.  But I did catch how most of the announcements were third party games that will not be exclusive... You aren't pulling the wool over my eyes Sony!

I'm surprised that they're releasing Spiderman 2 this year; but I'm calling it now, this ain't a true PS5 exclusive.  It's a cross-gen title (it's really obviously a PS4 port).  The rest of their first party lineup (sans GT7 and Demons' Souls Remastered) aint coming out until 2022; the fact that they didn't even announce release years for them speaks volumes.

The big shocker here is the Digital Only hardware model; NOBODY was expecting that one! Also, it looks like the form factor might actually be larger than the typical console form factor and more like the Series X after all (it's basically a mini PC tower).  Wasn't expecting that... That might change things a bit...

As far as the games themselves go? Destruction Allstars is the big standout for me.  That looks really great! Looks like a ton of fun!

I'm also very impressed by Rachet and Clank; they have actually designed it around the SSD storage for a legitimately cool looking gameplay gimmick! Very Nintendo-like! I like it very much! More of this and less of the CG cutscene bullshit please!

RE8 also looks... very interesting! Gives me vibes of the legendary "Hookman" version of RE4; more Castlevania than Resident Evil! Will look forward to playing that on my PC/Series X!

And that's really my big takeaway here.  How much of this is actually going to be exclusive? Why should I buy a PS5 for these games specifically?

Edited by Dcubed

It really looks awful, worst console design in a long time.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

Console looks like an overdesigned WiFi router. Weird, but okay. 

25 games shown, I think only three of which (Ghostwire, Godfall, and Deathloop) we've seen before (maybe four with Astro Bot, missed that little bit if someone could fill me in on what's going on there?). Good showing. A lot of indie games though, not many of which felt like they were pushing that next gen envelope. 

Might need a second watching, but overall atm gut feeling is that was a great showing, but I was never blown away. Maybe it's the lack of an audience or the fast pacing, but the lack of a "one last thing" and the underwhelming introduction to, say, the new Horizon was a bit weird for me.

Right now I'd give it a B. But yeah, time for a second watching. I'll be back!

Just seen someone point out it's shaped like the Roman numeral V. I wonder if that was the idea. 

Although as most people have said it's basically a router.