NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

Why can't we just appreciate that the numbers are insane?
Why does it always have to turn into a "but Switch numbers are better" thing?

It's annoying. Every. Single. Time.

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ashley said:

Well it's not like all 100 million would have tuned in (and a number of those will have bought the console multiple times) and Asia and Australasia would have been sleeping so it's not bad really. It's a higher figure than a lot ofTV shows nowadays!

Not saying it's not a good number but it's hardly "insane". I would have expected more to be tuning in tbh, makes me wonder if those stats are right.

Anyway this made me laugh

• Haha 1

Viewership in the millions for a livestream is insane @Ronnie, that's a hell of a lot more than you get for your average E3 stream.

38 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Why can't we just appreciate that the numbers are insane?
Why does it always have to turn into a "but Switch numbers are better" thing?

It's annoying. Every. Single. Time.

Because Sony can't have nice things. You have been on this forum before, right?

Not saying it's not a good number but it's hardly "insane". I would have expected more to be tuning in tbh, makes me wonder if those stats are right.

Anyway this made me laugh  

Maybe you should just stop posting in this topic, clearly you don't know what you're talking about and you've too much of an agenda to contribute meaningfully.

The numbers for a livestream are insane; bringing total PS4 install base into the conversation is a pointless comparison, as well you know. Many gamers do not follow gaming news. Still, these numbers show an unprecedented level of enthusiasm that bodes well for the success of the console.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Ronnie et al concerned with Spider-Man: Miles Morales being a remaster with some added comment based on that VGC "article"...

Which is exactly what was expected beforehand. From the Telegraph article that everyone was sourcing, you get this:

However Rutter clarified it’s actually more akin to an expansion bolted on to an upgraded version of the original title.

“I guess you could call it an expansion and an enhancement to the previous game,” he explained. “There’s a substantial Miles Morales component - which is the expansion element - but also within the game as well there’s been major enhancements to the game and the game engine, obviously deploying some of the major PlayStation 5 technology and features.” 

Looks like they took some creative liberties to reach that conclusion from Rutter's wording. Because you could also take the phrase "expansion and enhancement of the previous game" not as a bolted on, upgraded version, but instead as an expansion of the previous game in the same sense that Lost Legacy was for Uncharted 4, and enhancement in the same way that refining a game's engine for a new and more powerful console would be considered an enhancement. 

Even IGN were questioning it in their article. Good for them. 

Glad Insomniac have spoken up, but the problematic echo chamber of internet video games journalism becomes apparent I'm cases like this: quote taken in a very focused perspective, same article then jumps to conclusion (instead of clarifying, too? That's just bad journalism), and all of a sudden that's what's happening. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2

From that I take away that what is being launched on PS5 is an enhanced version of the original game which includes the “standalone” Mike Morales content built on the upgraded engine. Which is cool for me, but I’m not sure how much extra/new content it means for someone that’s played the original?

I assumed it would be an enhanced version of New York from the first game, with a new story based around Miles, sort of like a 1.5 rather than a sequel.

From the looks of the trailer, it'll have a few new enemies and suits, maybe a couple of new abilities, but running on the same engine as 1?

7 minutes ago, will' said:

From that I take away that what is being launched on PS5 is an enhanced version of the original game which includes the “standalone” Mike Morales content built on the upgraded engine. Which is cool for me, but I’m not sure how much extra/new content it means for someone that’s played the original?

From the tweet or the article? Because Insomniac seem to be trying to be crystal clear in the comments responding to that tweet. 

Regardless of whether or not it might come bundled with a PS5 release of Spider-Man 2018 (which would be a weird launch title), I think they're trying to be very clear that the Miles Morales game will be available standalone.

6 minutes ago, bob said:

I assumed it would be an enhanced version of New York from the first game, with a new story based around Miles, sort of like a 1.5 rather than a sequel.

From the looks of the trailer, it'll have a few new enemies and suits, maybe a couple of new abilities, but running on the same engine as 1?

Yeah that's pretty much exactly how I took it too, like an inFamous First Light or Uncharted: The Lost Legacy situation. 

16 minutes ago, Julius said:

From the tweet or the article? Because Insomniac seem to be trying to be crystal clear in the comments responding to that tweet. 

From the article, but also from the fact I don’t think them saying “it is a standalone game” is particularly clear. What does that mean exactly? Given they’re not explicitly saying anything more it sounds to me like it’s effectively a DLC for the original game that will also be available as a “standalone game” in certain circumstances.

I don’t think there’s anything particularly wrong with that, and it definitely doesn’t impact my buying it, but I don’t think it’s what a lot of people were hoping for.

7 minutes ago, will' said:

From the article, but also from the fact I don’t think them saying “it is a standalone game” is particularly clear. What does that mean exactly? Given they’re not explicitly saying anything more it sounds to me like it’s effectively a DLC for the original game that will also be available as a “standalone game” in certain circumstances.

I don’t think there’s anything particularly wrong with that, and it definitely doesn’t impact my buying it, but I don’t think it’s what a lot of people were hoping for.

Honestly, I think the language used makes Uncharted: The Lost Legacy the closest point of comparison for this, as plenty have mentioned. That was planned as DLC for Uncharted 4 if I recall but ended up being fleshed out into its own thing. 

Given that the title isn't Spider-Man 2: Miles Morales, I think the title alone did a pretty effective job of communicating that it isn't going to have the scale of a fully fledged sequel. I expect it to be a shorter, better-looking revisit of 2018's Manhattan which is going to bridge the gap between the first game and 2, which I'm sure we'll get in a couple of years. 

They're really good at this confusing, mixed messaging thing in the build up to PS5 aren't they.

From going to excitement at it being Spider-Man 2 to disappointment that it's a remaster with added content, a Lost Legacy type thing is a decent compromise, for me at least. Be interesting to see if it's priced accordingly.

I'm genuinely astonished anyone could watch that trailer and think it was Spiderman 2, especially given it's not even called that.

• Like 1

So Spider-Man Miles is actually not really a sequel, but rather a standalone DLC? (ALA Lost Legacy/Torna).

Told you all that it was a quick n’ dirty PS4 port! Well that puts a bit of a dampener on things...

Guess Rachet & Clank will most likely be their big headlining launch title (not that that’s a bad thing, it looks pretty great!)

The information from yesterday's event has started to make me more excited for the next generation. It's a Playstation, so there is obviously going to be great support for it during its lifespan, but it looks like it'll have a tasty first year, too. Tempted to get one close-ish to launch now...maybe instead of us buying Christmas presents for each other and instead using that money to get this. 

We went with 2 PS4s this generation so that we could both get our gaming fix and also Overwatch at the same time. If we do that again, maybe it'll be the standard PS5 and then the inevitable slim/redesign as a second console. I like this design and have no issues with it. Once it's under my tv in its unit, I'm hardly ever going to look at it. 

4 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

I'm genuinely astonished anyone could watch that trailer and think it was Spiderman 2, especially given it's not even called that.

Just think about that for a second. Are you really? :laughing:

16 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

From going to excitement at it being Spider-Man 2 to disappointment that it's a remaster with added content, a Lost Legacy type thing is a decent compromise, for me at least.

Maybe it's just because we follow the industry a bit closer here, but I didn't expect them to turn around a fully fledged Spider-Man game so quick, which is why I had assumed at best we get a teaser. 

As soon as we heard Peter and I saw Miles, I expected a Lost Legacy situation, but that's only because I thought about it quite a bit beforehand. I can see why some might have expected otherwise from this, maybe they could have done a better job of clarifying from the onset as you and @will' have mentioned.

We all follow games quite closely so if some here are at a loss, then I imagine there might have been some confusion over that for a more casual audience too. 

Be interesting to see if it's priced accordingly.

Yeah, that'll be the big thing I think. I think Lost Legacy was £29.99 at launch? No more than £34.99 for this with a core story which is 8 hours or a little less (around half of the original's based on HLTB) I feel and I think this could be a great game in the opening month (if not at launch). And, this isn't a sleight against the original game, but there were a lot of cut and paste scenarios when swinging around and a ton of collectibles; add those in and this game could easily pad out to double that length to around 15 hours. 

Selfishly hope this isn't there day 1 (seeing as there are a couple of other prospective launch titles which could do great), mainly because I'd been planning a replay of the original's main story and DLC when I got a PS5 to test it out as I don't have a Pro :p

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

Horizon Forbidden West isn't called Horizon 2. Rise of the Tomb Raider isn't TR2 etc. Loads of sequels aren't numbered.

I should have realised by how little they showed of it that it wasn't a big standalone release.

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

Horizon Forbidden West isn't called Horizon 2. 

I know it's not necessarily in the title itself, but the logo kind of has it? 

Horizon-Forbidden-West-logo.jpg

Unless that's a pause symbol. In which case I can't wait for Horizon [rewind] More Forbidden East :D

• Haha 1

She's YouTube's statistics manager, by the way.

Man, these figures are insane. ;)

Now that we've had time to process everything, has anyone decided to buy at launch? And if so, what price point is your limit?

I'll be buying at launch - backwards compatibility with the games I'm currently playing makes this an easy sell for me. It's going to be my main console for the next generation and I plan to reap the benefits as soon as I can.

I'm hoping it's not more than £599 but with the tech inside I don't think I'm going to be put off by the price. Last gen we saw consoles that were quite underpowered at launch so I'd rather them cost a bit more now if it means we get the proper generational jump.

The only thing putting me off getting one at launch is the fact that my TV might not do it justice :(

5 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Man, these figures are insane. ;)

tumblr_lyfak24ejt1ro91bjo1_500.gif

6 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Now that we've had time to process everything, has anyone decided to buy at launch? And if so, what price point is your limit?

I want one at launch, but it depends on the price and where I'm at financially then. So there's no way for me to say right now.

If it's possible to trade in the PS4 to get the PS5 cheaper I'd be up for it.

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

She's YouTube's statistics manager, by the way.

Clearly the typical internet hyperbole.

I won't buy one at launch, but I never do. I'll give it a while until there's a game I simply can't resist, then get one.