NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

I was totally in for buying one on day one but it doesn't seem like the launch line up will be quite as stellar (at least for me) as I had hoped. If Demon's Souls is out this year I will probably bite though, and the closer to launch I sell my PS4 Pro the more money I'm going to be able to get for it. If I hold off on playing Last of Us Part II and Ghost of Tsushima for a while it might incentivise me to pick up a PS5 and play them on that instead but as things stand I am happy to wait a while before picking up a PS5.

8 minutes ago, killthenet said:

I was totally in for buying one on day one but it doesn't seem like the launch line up will be quite as stellar (at least for me) as I had hoped.

Same. If Ratchet is a launch game I might go for it but otherwise I was hoping for a bit better

I'm likely to be there at launch. I wasn't with the PS4 but the launch lineup didn't grab me, plus I had plenty still to work through on the 360 and I'd just moved out of my parents for the first time so money wasn't there.

While the launch lineup may not have that big hitter, my PS4 could do with being put out to pasture and there'll be plenty of games that I would pick up for the PS4 but I'm likely to wait for this instead (Watch Dogs Legion and Assassin's Creed Valhalla as examples). Deathloop is supposedly coming this holiday, so possibly alongside the game, and I'd probably pick up Spiderman: Miles Morales so I think I'd have plenty to go off of there and a few indie games thrown in for good measure. Whereas with the Xbox side of things, I'll be able to play Halo and Forza and whatever else they have on my Xbox One through Gamepass as they've committed to supporting that platform for at least a year or two more going forward with their first parties so getting the PS5 at launch would be a no brainer for me.

Price wise, I need to console to come in at no more than £500. Money will be tight but I could hit that market and grab a game or two to set me up but I'm also expecting the price of games to go up to £55-£60 so I'll see. If I can manage to get hold of one and it's not going to put too much of a dent on the finances at the tail end of the year with everything that's going on, I'll be picking it up that's for sure.

The beginning to the Digital Foundry video is superb. Keeping those late 2000 internet memes alive. Amazing stuff. :grin:

Here it is, haven’t watched it all yet. 

BALLLLLIN’!!
All about the PSQuintuple, bitchiz.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The beginning to the Digital Foundry video is superb. Keeping those late 2000 internet memes alive. Amazing stuff. :grin:Here it is, haven’t watched it all yet. 

BALLLLLIN’!!

All about the PSQuintuple, bitchiz.

Oh man. The memory of Chad Warden must forever be kept alive.

...ballliiiinnnn'.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sheikah said:

Now that we've had time to process everything, has anyone decided to buy at launch? And if so, what price point is your limit?

I’ll be buying at launch and I’ll get every game that I have some interest in. The current amount I have set aside for it is $1,000 (US), but if it takes more than that I don’t really mind. The only thing I’m not completely sure on is whether to go for the regular or digital version. I intend to buy everything digitally but the flexibility of the disc drive is nice. Will decide later once a bit more info is released.

This is a small thing (literally) but pretty cool - if you zoom in on the texture of the controllers:

• Thanks 2

On 12/06/2020 at 9:12 PM, Sheikah said:

Now that we've had time to process everything, has anyone decided to buy at launch? And if so, what price point is your limit?

I won't be as hopefully my travels will start again not long after launch so it's kind of pointless...as is this post but I just wanted to use the expression price point :D

• Thanks 1

It's a photoshopped pic but what do you think?

igpqbavyph451.jpg

Edited by Cookyman

It's a very nice white rectangle in a grey circle but I don't see what it has to do with the PS5.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 12/06/2020 at 9:12 PM, Sheikah said:

Now that we've had time to process everything, has anyone decided to buy at launch?

Yep, I'll be buying at launch. I was going to regardless because I have a 2015 model base PS4 which is starting to chug (thankfully the 1TB is still serving me well), and at the very least I've been looking forward to revisiting Spider-Man and Shadow of the Colossus, and running the best that they can. Whether that Spider playthrough gets bumped up if Miles makes it to launch I guess we'll see :p but apart from that I still have plenty of PS4 games I want to play, most (if not all) of which I imagine will be backwards compatible. 

Also, given a bit more thought to the event, and of the 25 games shown at the event last week, the games that I am absolutely in for are Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Project Athia (we'll see if this ever sees the light of day), Kena: Bridge of Spirits (probably my highlight of the show), Little Devil Inside, Astro's Playroom (small but a pre-loaded, free Astro Bot game from ASOBI after all of the praise for VR Mission and as something to play while everything installs? Yes please I'm in), Pragmata (ditto what I said for Project Athia, but major Kojima vibes and a new IP from Capcom is very exciting), and Horizon: Forbidden West

Slight question marks, but very much leaning towards a buy, over Demon's Souls (only just completed my first horror game, so we'll see if I'm ready for that by then - would be a great point to jump in with From Software and start catching myself up, though; basically the same but just replace From with Capcom for RE: Village, going to try some of those out this summer), Ratchet & Clank (have limited experience with this series, might check out the remastered titles on PS3 first, but it looks great) and Gran Turismo 7 (loved 3 A-Spec back in the day on PS2, but haven't touched the series and have enjoyed Forza since, so we'll see what launches around it). 

Returnal, Stray, Sackboy: A Big Adventure, and Ghostwire: Tokyo all have my attention, even if the latter lost a bit of my interest by being first-person. The other games shown I currently don't plan on picking up. 

Overall, I'm going to stick with the B that I gave the event last week. It was a solid showing, but nothing (besides Spidey, but that being a Lost Legacy-type situation isn't nearly as exciting as seeing a number 2) was really unexpected or blew me away. Games like Goodbye Volcano High and Oddworld Soulstorm I'm sure will have their fans, but nothing we saw to me suggested that they belonged at a next-gen event. But then there were clearly games that did. 

Considering that PlayStation knew about Xbox having a first party showcase in July, I think they showed some restraint with this showing, and have saved some things for later. I think there's still the potential for a mic drop moment which will flip the tables almost entirely in their favour akin to "$299". 

And I'm just saying, Play Has No Limits makes much more sense on a console which offers (almost) full backwards compatibility for their legacy titles... :p

And if so, what price point is your limit?

Oh man poor @bob.

Anyways, yeah, about that price point :D I think the PS5 is £599 maximum, so that's what I've budgeted for so far. Realistically I think we could see the PS5 be £499 and the Digital Edition at the absolute lowest be £399, but expecting something more like £429. Also interested in the headphones to try out some of their 3D Audio tech. Guess we'll see what their launch line-up looks like, but think I'll only pick up three games at most at launch (excluding Astro's Playroom). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Julius said:

Oh man poor @bob.

Anyways, yeah, about that price point :D I think the PS5 is £599 maximum, so that's what I've budgeted for so far. Realistically I think we could see the PS5 be £499 and the Digital Edition at the absolute lowest be £399, but expecting something more like £429. Also interested in the headphones to try out some of their 3D Audio tech. Guess we'll see what their launch line-up looks like, but think I'll only pick up three games at most at launch (excluding Astro's Playroom). 

It's your own keyboards and time that you are wasting, not mine.

6 minutes ago, Julius said:

Yep, I'll be buying at launch. I was going to regardless because I have a 2015 model base PS4 which is starting to chug (thankfully the 1TB is still serving me well), and at the very least I've been looking forward to revisiting Spider-Man and Shadow of the Colossus, and running the best that they can. Whether that Spider playthrough gets bumped up if Miles makes it to launch I guess we'll see :p but apart from that I still have plenty of PS4 games I want to play, most (if not all) of which I imagine will be backwards compatible. 

Also, given a bit more thought to the event, and of the 25 games shown at the event last week, the games that I am absolutely in for are Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Project Athia (we'll see if this ever sees the light of day), Kena: Bridge of Spirits (probably my highlight of the show), Little Devil Inside, Astro's Playroom (small but a pre-loaded, free Astro Bot game from ASOBI after all of the praise for VR Mission and as something to play while everything installs? Yes please I'm in), Pragmata (ditto what I said for Project Athia, but major Kojima vibes and a new IP from Capcom is very exciting), and Horizon: Forbidden West

Slight question marks, but very much leaning towards a buy, over Demon's Souls (only just completed my first horror game, so we'll see if I'm ready for that by then - would be a great point to jump in with From Software and start catching myself up, though; basically the same but just replace From with Capcom for RE: Village, going to try some of those out this summer), Ratchet & Clank (have limited experience with this series, might check out the remastered titles on PS3 first, but it looks great) and Gran Turismo 7 (loved 3 A-Spec back in the day on PS2, but haven't touched the series and have enjoyed Forza since, so we'll see what launches around it). 

Returnal, Stray, Sackboy: A Big Adventure, and Ghostwire: Tokyo all have my attention, even if the latter lost a bit of my interest by being first-person. The other games shown I currently don't plan on picking up. 

Overall, I'm going to stick with the B that I gave the event last week. It was a solid showing, but nothing (besides Spidey, but that being a Lost Legacy-type situation isn't nearly as exciting as seeing a number 2) was really unexpected or blew me away. Games like Goodbye Volcano High and Oddworld Soulstorm I'm sure will have their fans, but nothing we saw to me suggested that they belonged at a next-gen event. But then there were clearly games that did. 

Considering that PlayStation knew about Xbox having a first party showcase in July, I think they showed some restraint with this showing, and have saved some things for later. I think there's still the potential for a mic drop moment which will flip the tables almost entirely in their favour akin to "$299". 

And I'm just saying, Play Has No Limits makes much more sense on a console which offers (almost) full backwards compatibility for their legacy titles... :p

Oh man poor @bob.

Yeah I am going to guess £425 for the digital edition PS5 and £499 for the regular.

I really don't see the point in buying a PS5 right away when it'll have pretty much nothing exclusive to play on it for the first couple of years (and its backwards compatibility is going to be woefully limited).  You're basically buying a very expensive brick that won't be doing much until late 2022.

13 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I really don't see the point in buying a PS5 right away when it'll have pretty much nothing exclusive to play on it for the first couple of years (and its backwards compatibility is going to be woefully limited).  You're basically buying a very expensive brick that won't be doing much until late 2022.

I’d love to know if you actually believe half the stuff you post on here about PlayStation consoles.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I actually totally disagree with you, and in fact think that buying in 2022 is the least sensible time to buy the system.

I've made this comment before but my reasoning:

- If you look at the PS4 it took an entire 2 years for Sony to actually cut the price (in September 2015), and even then it was only by 50 quid. So by adopting 2 years later, if we look at what they did before, you are potentially saving only a small amount of money and foregoing 2 years when you could have played the superior versions of the games.

- All popular (top 100) existing current gen games will run and be boosted, including new ones people are holding out on (like Cyberpunk, Last of Us, Ghosts of Tsushima), so you can carry on playing games with boosted performance.

- Multiformat games will still release on the new consoles (including the games which release annually) so there'll still be games to play. And you'll get to play them at higher resolutions with much improved load times. Based on the footage Sony showed we can see how quick that SSD works, so there's potentially going to be some very nice QoL improvements here.

- There will be some exclusives released in the first couple of years.

If the console is expensive then I can understand a lot of people won't want to pick it up right away, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a wise move to wait just a couple of years. In my opinion the real winners are those who either buy right away to get the benefits as soon as possible, or buy towards the end of the generation when consoles are considerably discounted and there are lots of cheap great games to play. People who wait a relatively short time before buying probably aren't saving very much in the long run.

Edited by Sheikah

24 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I mean, I respectfully disagree based on the types of games I like to play being much aligned with the games we saw last week (I mean, see the games I mentioned above - clearly this was a good showing for my preferences), but not every game can be for everyone. If the showing wasn't filled with games coming to PS5 that you're not interested in then I get why you might feel that way. 

I'm not going to respond really to the comment about exclusive titles right now because technically you're right, we haven't got scheduled release dates for a lot of these first party games, so I can't exactly say you're wrong in that regard. But the intent to have them be console exclusive is clearly there, and then there are already massive AAA games from third parties like Resident Evil Village which we know are going to be coming to next-gen consoles only. 

As for backwards compatibility, again, I read it now more as Cerny going "we've tested the most popular 100 games and they work or are being adapted, but we're still testing a lot of other games at this point". It's honestly a little tiring to see the backwards compatibility argument come up every single time the PS5 is discussed here, because it feels like it falls on deaf ears almost entirely due to the PlayStation 4's success. Absolute worst case scenario I still have a PS4 to pop the games into, that's not a deal-breaker for me. 

As for a very expensive brick not doing much until 2022? At the very least it's a UHD player, and Sony's top of the line UHD players usually have a RRP around £350. Another £250 (at most) to make that a next-gen console is a good deal in my books. 

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

It's a very nice white rectangle in a grey circle but I don't see what it has to do with the PS5.

Should be working now.  

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Nope.

Fuck!

Now?

Black+ps5_2af5db_7771249.jpg

igpqbavyph451.jpg

Edited by Cookyman

I still think it’s generally pretty horrible but the black is definitely better than the white. I really hope they offer that at launch.

• Like 1

The asymmetrical design with the disk tray lump sticking out of one side is really bad, regardless of colour. The fact that you need the stand to lay it flat :blank:

15 minutes ago, will' said:

I still think it’s generally pretty horrible but the black is definitely better than the white. I really hope they offer that at launch.

It's just coming out in white for launch.