NEurope
Serebii

Sonic Mania - Can you feel the sunshine?

52 minutes ago, Shorty said:

I've heard that the box for this is kinda trash, one of those annoying slip cases that's bigger than all your other games and yet doesn't neatly store the book...

I was thinking of double dipping to get a physical release and the extras, but having doubts based on this!

The unboxing vid is the US version of the game but ours is exactly the same, apart from having the superior blue reversible cover with Mega Drive wrote on it. :D 

• Like 1

Yeah I really don't like those kind. You either have to keep the book inside the slip cover, or the slip cover doesn't stay on right... On lesser games I've even been tempted to just throw the cover away.

Ah but there's not going to be a better version, and there's never been a game I wanted to support more by buying another version. Maybe I'll get it for the Switch this time...

• Like 1

Got it today for Steam. Tried a bit of Encore mode, and I'm digging the new stages. Big rings are so hard to find, now, and the new special stages mean business. I'm lovin' it. The two new characters are fantastic so far.

Mighty the Armadillo plays like a truck. No finesse, he's just good at killing baddies and keeping close to the ground. Especially useful in Encore mode, what with so many badniks around.

Ray the Flying Squirrel is such a ray of sunshine. He's got the fastest flight in the game, but it's super finicky to control. His bizarre flying techniques (which I hear were taught to him by an Italian...janitor, I think?) are difficult to get a hang of, but they'll probably look sick when mastered.

But what I'd really like to know is:

5SyHL2O.jpg

@Rummy, are you truly Top 3 worldwide at beating Metallic Madness Act 1 with Ray?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

So buff I could play it in my sleep!

At least that's how I assume I'm doing it... :p

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A bunch of new cheats have been found in the game.

To enable the codes, you need to do the following.

Enter Mania Mode and go to ‘No Save’.

You now need to enter the code for the level select.

• PS4: Hold Square, Select No save.
  • Xbox: Hold X, Select No save.
  • Switch: Hold Y, Select No save.

You will now be at the level select.

Go to sound test and play the following sounds to enable the desired code.

• 3 3 3 1 9 7 9 0 8 1 1 – Changes all animals into Squirrels.
  • 4 1 2 6 – All Emeralds
  • 1 9 9 2 1 1 2 4 – Infinite Continues
  • 2 0 1 8 0 6 2 3 – Force Encore Mode
  • 1 9 8 9 0 5 0 1 – Unknown
  • 2 0 1 7 0 8 1 5 – Super Sonic Flight in normal levels (Don’t need to be Super to trigger it).
  • 9 0 0 1 – Max Control For Sonic (Dropdash, Super Peel Out, Insta-Shield)
  • 0 0 0 0 6 2 1 4 – Disable Super Music

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I don't know, I really like the western Mega Drive take of our alternative cover.

It does look like Japan has a more practical outer box though.

Edited by Vileplume2000

I finished all the new content yesterday, and I feel like I can now give better impressions on the DLC:

• Mighty the Armadillo is pretty unique. His proficiency at killing badniks and dealing with bosses actually makes him a super fun no-nonsense powerhouse. This is offset by him being the only playable character who can't reach/climb platforms higher than his own regular jump. The result is, I couldn't recover if I made a mistake and fell off the high path, so I ended up going through low paths I had never used properly before. He ended up being my favourite of the two newcomers, which caught me by surprise.
  • Ray the Flying Squirrel is fun, and very efficient in speedruns, or general "daredevil" runs. However, he's lacking in raw utility (since Tails and Knuckles can reach high places much more easily), and he's also the character who's least equipped to deal with enemies. He's fun to use, but difficult to master. His in-game animations also got a hell lot of charisma. Both him and Mighty are wonderful additions to this game.

5yjBomy.jpg

• Encore Mode is basically a Hard Mode with a tag team system in place. The remixed stages don't vary so much that they feel like something entirely different, but they do change enough that finding the Special rings and secrets, choosing your optimal/favourite route, etc... exploring those details feels like doing it for the first time all over again. The Tag system is fun, and really helps in understanding the individual characters' weaknesses and strengths (much to my surprise, Knuckles was one of the most vital members of the team. I thought either Mighty or Ray would make him obsolete, but no). The new Special stages are also balls hard, and are a wonderful challenge.
  • The new Pinball Special Stage is a tad crap. Sure, you can get the shield you want, but the mini-game itself is not very engaging. Blue Spheres were much better. I didn't try the Multiplayer Mode for very long, so I can't give extended thoughts on it. Looks good, though.

Overall, the DLC is worth getting for the new characters alone. The rest is just a nice bonus. For me, it gave me an excuse to play this game a few more times, and that's always a good thing.

And now, just to toot my own horn:

yWqo5lZ.jpg

I opened the cage while also having the victory pose on top of it. Booyah!

Edited by Jonnas
  • Thanks 1

I'm not a fan of pinball games so I don't really like the new pinball mini game, much prefer Blue Sphere. I thought the pinball stage also looked... low budget.

As you can imagine, its started rumour mill for Amy DLC. Putting that to one side however, this bonus episode was sweet as hell. 

• Like 3

That is just... brilliant. :D

Chao in Sapce finally officially exists!

Loved the eyebrows on the Chao at the end, that got a chuckle out of me. :laughing: