Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Football Season 2016/17

Phube

Did anyone catch Sam Allardyce's post-match interview?

"It is not for me to say where to play Wayne Rooney. Wayne played wherever he wanted to. I can't stop Wayne playing there."

That's an absolute joke of a comment. Couldn't believe I was hearing it.

It's the sort of comment that shows you that England just don't seem to learn. They're like the football version of Nintendo :heh:

Rooney taking over corners at the Euros despite Hodgson wanting Kane to take them is something that most of us could understand due to how ridiculous that decision originally was but now we're already seeing another manager step in and not assuming complete control of the team. It's certainly concerning.. if you're English :grin:

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the sort of comment that shows you that England just don't seem to learn. They're like the football version of Nintendo :heh:

Rooney taking over corners at the Euros despite Hodgson wanting Kane to take them is something that most of us could understand due to how ridiculous that decision originally was but now we're already seeing another manager step in and not assuming complete control of the team. It's certainly concerning.. if you're English :grin:

They really are!

Watching England take corners kills me. Every combination sucks. Can't do long corners because they don't make it past the first man and can't do short corners because...England. Short corners should be made illegal, I hate them! Especially when the ball doesn't make it into the box.

They really are!

Watching England take corners kills me. Every combination sucks. Can't do long corners because they don't make it past the first man and can't do short corners because...England. Short corners should be made illegal, I hate them! Especially when the ball doesn't make it into the box.

The only team worse from corner kicks is Liverpool.. in both boxes :shakehead

Although I am disappointed United lost the game, my heart was racing throughout and it was breathtaking at times. City were the better team overall, but United potentially could have won it, too. This is miiiiiiiiles better than about 99% of what we produced last season. Rashford looked shit hot when he came on and Bailly looked absolutely exhausted by the end of it. He gave everything.

A very high quality game.

De Bruyne is the best player in the league. Phenomenal what he can do. He can do the simple stuff really well, too. Best player on the pitch by miles. Our players couldn't get near him.

The one debatable moment for me is that possibly Bravo's tackle on Rooney should have resulted in a penalty. It wasn't particularly clean. I'm still 50/50 on that one.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

It was a fun game, but showed Man U are still lacking a little - lingard, Fellini, their exactly top class. And I think bravo and stones could cost city some points this season too. Exciting!

And how jammy are Arsenal. One shot on target all game, then get a penalty in the 91st minute... Could be a long hard season for Arsenal I think.

Why do Liverpool ALWAYS do this? Absolutely cruising against Leicester at 2-0 then a ridiculous error in defense handed Vardy a tap in. We won't win now.. :blank:

What the hell was Lucas doing, give it to the bloody left back or just clear it.

They were playing some fantastic football before that costly error.

We should have been beaten easily tonight, PSG were so wasteful in front of goal. How we got a point I don't know, but at least we got a point in the toughest game in the group. We simply must improve. Giroud getting sent off on matchday 1 for the 2nd season in a row, he really needs to reign it in.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

We should have been beaten easily tonight, PSG were so wasteful in front of goal. How we got a point I don't know, but at least we got a point in the toughest game in the group. We simply must improve. Giroud getting sent off on matchday 1 for the 2nd season in a row, he really needs to reign it in.

The sending off wasn't really his fault. He didn't do much. His first yellow was ridiculous though, he simply can't keep snapping at the referee.

Celtic got an absolute hiding last night from Barca. Just imagine if it was Rangers they were playing instead. Would've been well into double figures.

I think Mourinho has made it fairly clear he has no desire to go far in the Europa League this season...

I'd agree with that, but it's still a poor showing. A competition is a competition and there's still a trophy at the end of it.

Quite a high scoring weekend, so far. Looking forward to Match of the Day tonight. Sad that Bournemouth got destroyed, but expected it to happen.

Awful performance, arguably worse than the one midweek. Too many players playing in the wrong positions. Why do managers do this? The team looked very disjointed and we looked second best in all areas of the pitch. The only player who I think had a decent-ish game was Fellaini.

Rooney is finished at the top level. He's been lacklustre for about three years now and he's playing to the detriment of the team. If he was from Italy or Spain or anywhere else outside of the UK, there's no way in hell he'd get into this team. Him being English is the only reason he gets into the squad at all, let alone him being in the first 11. He was off the pace again today, slowed things down, didn't contribute any critical passes or shots, didn't really do anything defensively and didn't link up well with his team mates. The frustrating thing is that he'll start the next game or he might sit one out but be back the week after. Moyes' biggest failure as United manager was giving this guy a huge contract with obscene wages, thus making him unsellable. It's ridiculous that we're basing the team around him.

I feel the same way really Bob. I think last season being so good in a neutral sense coupled with how great the Olympics and Paralympics have been I just haven't been that interested in what's been going on with football so far this season.

Part of it is probably because Villa have continued to be poor though. 8pts from 8 games, at least we should avoid relegation if we keep up that average.

Surely Mark Hughes will be the first manager to lose his job? Atrocious start to the season.

Apparently Jose has now lost 16 out of his last 34 games as manager. Crazy record. He has to turn it around pretty quickly as they got Leicester and Stoke at OT followed by Liverpool and Chelsea away. I wonder if he'll finally bench Rooney.

Some great games this weekend though, it has to be said. The Liverpool - Chelsea game was brilliant but the game of the weekend was definitely West Brom - West Ham. After last season I honestly thought the Hammers would be a solid top 6 team but their defending is appalling at the moment.

Apparently Jose has now lost 16 out of his last 34 games as manager. Crazy record. He has to turn it around pretty quickly as they got Leicester and Stoke at OT followed by Liverpool and Chelsea away. I wonder if he'll finally bench Rooney.

Some great games this weekend though, it has to be said. The Liverpool - Chelsea game was brilliant but the game of the weekend was definitely West Brom - West Ham. After last season I honestly thought the Hammers would be a solid top 6 team but their defending is appalling at the moment.

Mourinho isn't at the top of his game after a disappointing season last year with Chelsea and United themselves had a not-so-great year with LVG. Both aren't particularly high on confidence. Benching Rooney is the right thing to do to start things off but there's so much that needs to be done.

For some reason I just haven't been able to get into this season at all. I think it's because of what happened last season, it was just the most perfect bit of sporting entertainment, that I just don't think this year can top it.

I know why Bob.

I know the reason.

It is because this year's most important season hasn't kicked off yet.

I am of course talking about the return of xpert11

New league. Fresh start. A wide open league that anyone could win from day one.

Join up to the world's greatest fictional football management league right here.

I know a bunch of the regulars in here have dipped in and out through the years - great, exciting time to start as there's no real time investment to start challenging for the title right off the bat!

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!