Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Serebii

I'm not trying to cause arguments here but N-Europe isn't in some little bubble where we are the only ones not happy about the price. The complaints about the prices have been coming from everywhere, no matter the region. Neogaf, Gamefaqs, NintendoLife, Kinda Funny, RFN...the list goes on.

To me it just highlights that gamers in general are a bit on the irrational side and the whole "I care about Nintendo so my rants are warranted" (not speaking about you personally) reminds me of the sort of language used in dosmestic abuse cases.

The thing is the pricing sounds reasonable for the tech being used and the current financial climates. I remember browsing for Dualshocks at some point in time and seeing £49.99 price tags - for me it was never worth it but I don't quite remember seeing the same uproar.

Nintendo certainly gets a different treatment, even when it does things similar to its competition. I understand the frustration from some of their decision-making... But I reckon half the quarrels could be squashed if we relaxed a bit and exercised patience, waiting for official news instead of rant-like assumptions ala online services for example.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Locked in pre-orders for Amazon and ShopTo for the Switch, Pro Controller, Breath of the Wild, and some other accessories.

But I have to ask: has anyone used gameseek.co.uk before?

Seen contrasting reviews (2/3 days early, great service; ZombiU being a bundled version as opposed to single with damaged packaging), but the potential savings to be made on the Switch are why I ask: it's currently available for £198.50 (£81.49 below RRP) with them.

It WAS that price, they now have preorders for all their allocation and so it's not up for preorder any longer... they're saying they are honouring the price for people who preordered it but once it goes back up for preorder you can expect the price to go to the RRP.

To me it just highlights that gamers in general are a bit on the irrational side and the whole "I care about Nintendo so my rants are warranted" (not speaking about you personally) reminds me of the sort of language used in dosmestic abuse cases.

The thing is the pricing sounds reasonable for the tech being used and the current financial climates. I remember browsing for Dualshocks at some point in time and seeing £49.99 price tags - for me it was never worth it but I don't quite remember seeing the same uproar.

Nintendo certainly gets a different treatment, even when it does things similar to its competition. I understand the frustration from some of their decision-making... But I reckon half the quarrels could be squashed if we relaxed a bit and exercised patience, waiting for official news instead of rant-like assumptions ala online services for example.

But what about the 28 quid charging controller shell? Bear in mind you get the exact same shell as the one you must pay for, just without the wiring for it to charge the controllers.

You say gamers are irrational but I think hardcore Nintendo fans are very irrational. This has just a few games at launch, Zelda is 20 quid more expensive compared to Wii U, it's 280 quid at launch and if you want a charging cradle that's 28 quid...and we don't know the online details other than you will pay for it, despite launch being just over a month away. Sink 280 on something where online details are unknown!

I'd say it's irrational to buy this without question rather than point out everything I just said.

Edited by Sheikah

It WAS that price, they now have preorders for all their allocation and so it's not up for preorder any longer... they're saying they are honouring the price for people who preordered it but once it goes back up for preorder you can expect the price to go to the RRP.

I saw it when the pre-orders were first revealed, I just didn't order it from there in the end due to the lack of consistency with their reviews, hence my question :grin:

But what about the 28 quid charging controller shell? Bear in mind you get the exact same shell as the one you must pay for, just without the wiring for it to charge the controllers.

You say gamers are irrational but I think hardcore Nintendo fans are very irrational. This has just a few games at launch, Zelda is 20 quid more expensive compared to Wii U, it's 280 quid at launch and if you want a charging cradle that's 28 quid...and we don't know the online details other than you will pay for it, despite launch being just over a month away. Sink 280 on something where online details are unknown!

I'd say it's irrational to buy this without question rather than point out everything I just said.

What launch isn't expensive and without a shortage of quality games?

Its pretty unlikely that come March 3rd we would have no info on online details. When has a console ever released without specifying these services? This is what I mean by exercising patience to avoid the fear-mongering.

And even with all that, I'll bet my bottom dollar that you'll still day one it.

Its pretty unlikely that come March 3rd we would have no info on online details. When has a console ever released without specifying these services? This is what I mean by exercising patience to avoid the fear-mongering.

In fairness the Wii U launched with 30 games :heh: And the Cube was pretty cheap!

I think the issue is less the console cost, and more everything around it. A set of Joy-Cons is over 25% of the cost of the console itself. In comparison PS4 was 15% and Xbox is 10%. So either the Joy-Cons are expensive or the console cheap depending how you look at it ;)

In fairness the Wii U launched with 30 games :heh: And the Cube was pretty cheap!

I think the issue is less the console cost, and more everything around it. A set of Joy-Cons is over 25% of the cost of the console itself. In comparison PS4 was 15% and Xbox is 10%. So either the Joy-Cons are expensive or the console cheap depending how you look at it ;)

Fair point with the GC, but I wouldn't call the Wii U launch line-up 'quality games'.

Whilst on the subject, how/why was the GC so cheap?

Fair point with the GC, but I wouldn't call the Wii U launch line-up 'quality games'.

Whilst on the subject, how/why was the GC so cheap?

True that, did miss the "quality games" part.

My issue with the launch lineup is there's a big single-player game and what feels like (atm based on what we know) a flash in the pan party game and then some ports (hell the big game is a port) or remakes.

I wouldn't get 1-2 Switch and so suddenly Nintendo, known for its "c'mon grab your friends" approach to gaming, has released a console with no multi-player titles worth shouting about.

However 1-2 Switch could very well end up great. We shall see!

Oh and no idea why it was so cheap. Handle maybe?

True that, did miss the "quality games" part.

My issue with the launch lineup is there's a big single-player game and what feels like (atm based on what we know) a flash in the pan party game and then some ports (hell the big game is a port) or remakes.

I wouldn't get 1-2 Switch and so suddenly Nintendo, known for its "c'mon grab your friends" approach to gaming, has released a console with no multi-player titles worth shouting about.

However 1-2 Switch could very well end up great. We shall see!

Oh and no idea why it was so cheap. Handle maybe?

Ran out of likes - But yeah, I do feel Mario Kart would have had a good place as a launch title, especially for the likes of myself who skipped it on Wii U. Would have been the 'break' title to go to after the long BOTW sessions.

Not really Switch related but the pound's climbed quite nicely against the dollar in the last few hours following Theresa May's brexit speech/address thing - not saying it's going to indicate much but if we end up Brexiting/finalising Brexit this year and ended up with a stronger pound again it could be a good potential to expect a price drop; especially if the speculations on future proofing against negative shifts is true!

I gotta say, it's hard not to take that comment personally, despite what you wrote in brackets.

EDIT: Probably best to take the rest of this out. There's been enough friction as it is.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

It's clearly all been rushed. They don't have the network information ready because they're rushed a launch window (hence why there was a "will it make launch" question of Zelda). That's why I'm betting there is no network service properly in place to begin with (hence the mention of a trial), and why there's so few launch games.

You ask for patience and say the information will come just before launch...what good is that? The sites have all sold out pretty much by now. Thus, people have no chance of making an informed purchase, just an impulse one.

Slightly off topic but a developer with a fair bit of inside knowledge was on Radio Free Nintendo for their post-Switch reveal...

Also at GAME....@nekunando ;)

(sorry, you're at least the second person to mention it when it's already been mentioned and also as if it hadn't been, so I couldn't resist the ol' classic :p)

On the serious note if they're going out the gate with a view for a falling manufacturing cost over time (not surprised as I still very much thing they stung themselves hard with Wii U on a couple of fronts regarding this) then it's a very good sign for both them and us. Iirc PS4 and XBone(not meaning to bring them up for an argument) both went for more off the shelf sort of parts for a similar sort of reason(plus ease of development too I imagine) and it's surely done them quite well? It gives a lot more wiggle room to work with if the console doesn't initially take off; and more potential to try and turn it around.

Unrelated - here's a thing on the online/communication/VC whatevers - my phone broke yesterday. What happens if that happens to me when I've got a Switch? No more online/voice chat for me until I get my phone sorted? Even worse that a broken phone is already losing me a number of communication channels - the fact I would also lose said communication on my console too would probably suck!

If anyone's abusing us here - it's definitely Nintendo ;) That bad girlfriend you just can't stop caring about!

Isn't the thing actually still even launching without an officially defined online service? That's due to come later?

Edited by Rummy

I gotta say, it's hard not to take that comment personally, despite what you wrote in brackets.

(!) Please do [not take it personally], because I honestly didn't have you in mind. The gamers I had in mind were some Youtubers and habitual debbie-downers who always throw out that disclaimer before going in for a good ole Nintendo flogging - I believe you're a reasonable person.

Edited by King_V

I've got two ShopTo pre-orders for the Grey console. I placed a pre-order after the initial reveal video, but that entry didn't update when the price and release date came about, the company simply put another product page up so I pre-ordered with that one just to be sure. Now ShopTo only have the one product page but I still have two pre-orders in my pre-order section. I'm not sure which one to cancel, I likely won't be getting it from ShopTo anyway because I have an order placed with Nintendo but I want to ensure that I'm higher up the queue for ShopTo if Nintendo can't fulfil my order, so should I just cancel the newer one?

If anyone's abusing us here - it's definitely Nintendo ;) That bad girlfriend you just can't stop caring about!

Isn't the thing actually still even launching without an officially defined online service? That's due to come later?

Bwahaha (really shouldn't laugh...sorry baby Jesus) - I just heard that the online service that is there is free until Autumn. Im going to watch the online part of the presentation again - But I guarantee a Direct will explain everything soon enough.

nintendo-switch-joycon-controllers.jpg

MY BODY IS READY

//

I've got two ShopTo pre-orders for the Grey console. I placed a pre-order after the initial reveal video, but that entry didn't update when the price and release date came about, the company simply put another product page up so I pre-ordered with that one just to be sure. Now ShopTo only have the one product page but I still have two pre-orders in my pre-order section. I'm not sure which one to cancel, I likely won't be getting it from ShopTo anyway because I have an order placed with Nintendo but I want to ensure that I'm higher up the queue for ShopTo if Nintendo can't fulfil my order, so should I just cancel the newer one?

Yeah, I'd cancel the newer one, seeing as that should be the one lower down the pecking order!

Edited by Julius Caesar
Automerged Doublepost

You ask for patience and say the information will come just before launch...what good is that? The sites have all sold out pretty much by now. Thus, people have no chance of making an informed purchase, just an impulse one.

If you feel the details you have on the system are minimal and the price-point is too steep, isn't the rational choice simply not to buy it? The choices are simple in my mind; you either want it or you dont - but looking at some of these Youtubers slaughtering Nintendo's decisions in multiple videos, then spouting at the very end they will day one it is just... annoying.

I fully understand if the pricing and information to date doesn't justify the purchase.

If you feel the details you have on the system are minimal and the price-point is too steep, isn't the rational choice simply not to buy it? The choices are simple in my mind; you either want it or you dont - but looking at some of these Youtubers slaughtering Nintendo's decisions in multiple videos, then spouting at the very end they will day one it is just... annoying.

I fully understand if the pricing and information to date doesn't justify the purchase.

I think the problem for me, and a few others I've spoken to from here and elsehwhere, is that it annoyingly ISN'T as black and white as saying you either you want it or you don't. Ofc, bottom line it can come down to that - but nothing's ever really that clear cut, is it?

Personally I like the idea of the system, I like the look of it and I like some of what it's doing. At the same time however - there are things I dislike and reasons I don't want it. Notably the online approach, lack of software appealing to myself at launch, and ofc - the price and what we're getting for it. It personally, at that price with what it's offering, is not for me on launch right now.

But that still doesn't mean that I don't want the thing. I do want one, and at the moment think I may eventually end up with one, but as said for what it's offering at the price it's offering(plus the price of additionals etc) I'm not keen to get involved just yet.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!