Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Serebii

Maybe the portable NX will have 32GB and supports sd cards. And the docking station has a 1TB HDD in it for storing your total library. When you boot up in 'at home mode', you decide which content you want to 'transfer' to the mobile drive.

One thing I've thought that they might do is have parts of the game stored on the handheld and some on the dock/console. So, say a game has a "mobile" and "console" mode. The mobile mode would use lower res textures and models, while the console mode would use higher res versions for the sake of example.

If that were the case, why not just store the lo-res stuff on the handheld alone and have the the high res stuff on the console? That way, you can save a lot of space on the handheld that you would otherwise be wasting on detail that you can't use there anyway.

The Game Card would of course, store both and the game would just select the appropriate assets automatically.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When thinking about storage space for NX, we definitely need to remember that Nintendo are incredibly efficient when it comes to the compression of their games.

For example:

I imagine the majority of people will continue to purchase physical versions of games too, meaning only save data will probably need to be stored on the system itself (and perhaps not even that, if the cart rumour ends up being true. :hehe:) and digital exclusives, which are generally much smaller than retail titles anyway.

The first four games in your WiiU list exceed 32GB.

Storage is an issue for me as I'll be looking to go digital wherever possible. You've also got to take into account DLC and patches, which both take up space. It's lovely to say that Nintendo compress their games, but what about third parties that maybe aren't as efficient? Also, if we are able to save screenshots and videos, they will both take up space, too.

Who here is using their Wii U without a USB HDD? Or even their 3DS without changing the SD card?

Nintendo just don't put enough storage into their devices. The excuse about using flash memory to ensure a level of quality is nonsense, because we HAVE to buy external storage anyway.

Who here is using their Wii U without a USB HDD? Or even their 3DS without changing the SD card?

Nintendo just don't put enough storage into their devices. The excuse about using flash memory to ensure a level of quality is nonsense, because we HAVE to buy external storage anyway.

I dont use my Wii U with a USB HDD but thats because I never trusted Nintendo's account system enough to buy games digitally.

I don't use any extra storage on any of my consoles at all.

You either manage your downloads or you buy extra storage, this isn't an exclusive issue with Nintendo consoles. Personally I don't see the the point of sticking in a 500gb HD which makes the console more expensive if you're going to burst extra storage anyway. It makes more sense to make the console cheaper and then let the consumer decided how bid a HD they upgrade to.

I dont use my Wii U with a USB HDD but thats because I never trusted Nintendo's account system enough to buy games digitally.

I'm similar in a sense but I also don't feel Nintendo's prices tend to offer much value over physical - more often than not I can purchase a physical theoretically forever copy of a game for cheaper than I can get it digitally. I often don't doing down the digital route as a result.

However with other systems I've tended to buy digital usually due to good bargains/offers/discounts etc that make it more worth my while. Whilst I didn't have external storage for my Wii U I am already planning to upgrade my PS4's storage(more so for installed disc games than downloaded) - though one plus point of that is that I still get 500GB back out of it too.

You either manage your downloads or you buy extra storage, this isn't an exclusive issue with Nintendo consoles. Personally I don't see the the point of sticking in a 500gb HD which makes the console more expensive if you're going to burst extra storage anyway. It makes more sense to make the console cheaper and then let the consumer decided how bid a HD they upgrade to.

Ironically, price per GB is higher for the 500gb anyway.

That's why they stick them in though, the price per GB for a HDD is dirt cheap these days (between $0.02 and $0.06) That 6 cents figure is for the 500GB at about $30. Considering general expectations are now that a console will have some form of memory, plus that the other two consoles require game installs, they might as well include a hard drive. Factor in that smaller sizes aren't that much lower in price (and the per GB keeps rising) 500 or 1TB kinda makes sense.

And Flash(and SSDs) are around $0.30-$0.60 per GB once again smaller sizes having an effective high price.

Ironically, price per GB is higher for the 500gb anyway.

That's why they stick them in though, the price per GB for a HDD is dirt cheap these days (between $0.02 and $0.06) That 6 cents figure is for the 500GB at about $30. Considering general expectations are now that a console will have some form of memory, plus that the other two consoles require game installs, they might as well include a hard drive. Factor in that smaller sizes aren't that much lower in price (and the per GB keeps rising) 500 or 1TB kinda makes sense.

And Flash(and SSDs) are around $0.30-$0.60 per GB once again smaller sizes having an effective high price.

But if therumours are true, NX is a portable device so including an actual hard drive is not feasible at all. One knock and it's fucked

But if therumours are true, NX is a portable device so including an actual hard drive is not feasible at all. One knock and it's fucked

Firstly, not true.

Secondly I wasn't trying to address that part of the storage debate, just the fact that there's little reason for any of the makers to not include some amount of storage, and that you get more for your money when buying bigger amounts. It's just unfortunately a larger buyin price then.

I get that but there should be a reasonable starting point. The wii u launching with 32gb was simply ridiculous for a console.

It would be absurd if we accept with each generation of hardware the technology gets better but the consoles should still release with the memory seen in previous generations.

The original 360 launched with 20gb. You can't honestly say 7 years later the xb1 should of launched with 32gb. That's just not feasible.

Also just add the PS4 with 500gb was not expensive. The wii u at 32gb was however.

Edited by liger05

Firstly, not true.

Secondly I wasn't trying to address that part of the storage debate, just the fact that there's little reason for any of the makers to not include some amount of storage, and that you get more for your money when buying bigger amounts. It's just unfortunately a larger buyin price then.

Fine, the one knock is hyperbole, but it's dangerous for the disc if it's constantly in motion/being knocked such as driving over speed bumps etc. while in use.

Early iPods had hard drives and they were pretty robust. Sure, a drop might fuck it, but a drop is likely to damage a device whether it has a hard drive or not.

Apart from Nintendo hardware which is actually very robust, probably because kids drop things.

Don't drive and play then.

Or passenger and play :heh:

Do people actually do the latter or is my stomach just more easily queasily?

Nope. Never take my 3DS XL out unless its the rare plane journey.

I just don't commute for that long to need to put in some minutes, and I don't really see other 3DS and Vita players on the tubes or buses. Perhaps its an inner city thing?

Although my GameCube didn't survive a move downstairs.

How fast did it move?

I definitely don't think a Hard Drive is the way to go on a portable, I'm not arguing that at all. But they're far more robust than people seem to think. It's not like a CD being read in your discman. I'm pretty rough on laptops, my first even ended up with a shattered screen from a fall, but the HDD kept trucking on for years. They can fail though (but so does flash). The biggest issue is that they'd be much heavier larger and use more power.

Although my GameCube didn't survive a move downstairs.

you know... my gamecube died about 7 years ago.. I never got round to binning it, had a few ideas of using the shell at least.. then last year I saw it, just hooked it up on the off chance... and it works again. Just saying, it might have just hibernated :P

Also on robustness, my 3ds has gone scuba diving in a bucket of warm soapy water long enough to hit the bottom of the bucket and it still works as well as ever. how it's long time lifespan was affected I hopefully will never find out!

it has also been dropped several times, as has my gamepad, even my gamecube prior to it's 7 year sleep got yanked off by over zealous friends/my nephew, and another nephew did similar to the wii. I can't compare to PS/XB machines, but I recall a few tests on the durability of the GC/PS2/XB, with all 3 being abused something terrible. If I recall correctly even the weakest took a good beating before it stopped working. Wonder how this gen would hold up!

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!