Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Serebii

Yeah but the 500GB one isn't really part of their current marketing is it? It's more that they need to phase out the older model and sell off their stock before the 1TB one takes over completely. The 500GB ones aren't just gonna up and disappear over night, it takes time to phase them out.

The 1TB launched last July. That's more than enough time for the 500GB to have been phased out. Both models are widely available.

Also, the last big general PS4 advert was this one ( I think ) that arrived in November, well after the launch of the 1TB model.

It just shows the console with no mention of specific models. The same goes for the games they are pushing at the moment, like Doom and Uncharted. The TV spots just show the console.

While I have no doubt that the 500gb will probably get ditched eventually ( probably when Neo shows up), at the moment Sony are clearly happy with both being on the market. I imagine Sony just make the two models, advertise PS4 as PS4, and let the retailers sort the specifics out when it comes to customers buying them.

I assume this strategy is also working for Microsoft, as well.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that is the problem though, Internet speeds just arent what they need to be, especially in rural areas. Games can easily be 20-40 gigs in size now and that can take days to download for some people. I keep a lot of my games installed on my PC and PS4.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of my incredibly fast Internet.

I'm pretty happy with my current connection.. about 6.5 Mbps, ping 31 ms..upload tends to be around 0.5 Mbps but.. not so worried about that tbh!!

point is I am in a very rural location, 5 minute walk to the next house, 10 minute walk to the nearest hamlet and a 45 minute walk to the nearest town (using walking because it gets rid of speed limit variations!)

compared to my brothers place, 5 minutes could get you to a hundred homes at least, including the local shops, a 20 minute walk to the town centre. Urban and modern estate... but the internet there is appalling. I couldn't play splatoon because every other match would disconnect, those that didn't were so laggy as to be barely playable... so it's not as simple as rural vs urban... of course I am in France so maybe it's just better here ;)

I jest, everyone else I know over here have crappy internet too.. just seems we got lucky!

All this stuff about multiple SKUs harming sales is a load of rubbish. Over the last year Sony have made both 500GB and 1TB bundles available for big games, for example Battlefront, Uncharted Collection, Destiny, etc. and 500GB by the looks of Amazon is the top selling model of the console. Ignore the prices because it's Game, but look at the wide variety of PS4 bundles available here. Limited Edition consoles may be 1TB because of the market that tend to buy that kind of product, but it's clear that 500GB, the cheaper option, is actually their priority. And to me, there's absolutely no shame in upgrading hard drive sizes through the generation as larger capacities become cheaper - despite the ability to upgrade your own hard drive, bringing out new updated consoles out can actually get people to buy another console because they're lazy or are the kind of person who cares about minor hardware/performance revisions!

Nintendo's problem with the Wii U was that the cheaper option was not an attractive proposition to consumers. And neither was the more expensive one! Microsoft's problem was that no-one wanted Kinect anymore!

Flash storage may reduce in price over time allowing you to keep the same amount over the life of the console and reduce costs, but flash storage is expensive, so you aren't getting as much for your money. It's a much better idea to start at a decent size and then upgrade it than stick with an option that really isn't benefitting gamers with the pitiful amount of storage on the Wii U. Yes, you can plug in your own hard drive, but that just adds another stage of complication to things. If the average person walks into a shop and sees a Wii U with a 32GB on the box, they're clearly going to think the PS4 or Xbox One with 500GB on the box is a lot, lot better (and not even much more expensive!)

All this stuff about multiple SKUs harming sales is a load of rubbish. Over the last year Sony have made both 500GB and 1TB bundles available for big games, for example Battlefront, Uncharted Collection, Destiny, etc. and 500GB by the looks of Amazon is the top selling model of the console. Ignore the prices because it's Game, but look at the wide variety of PS4 bundles available here. Limited Edition consoles may be 1TB because of the market that tend to buy that kind of product, but it's clear that 500GB, the cheaper option, is actually their priority. And to me, there's absolutely no shame in upgrading hard drive sizes through the generation as larger capacities become cheaper - despite the ability to upgrade your own hard drive, bringing out new updated consoles out can actually get people to buy another console because they're lazy or are the kind of person who cares about minor hardware/performance revisions!

Nintendo's problem with the Wii U was that the cheaper option was not an attractive proposition to consumers. And neither was the more expensive one! Microsoft's problem was that no-one wanted Kinect anymore!

Flash storage may reduce in price over time allowing you to keep the same amount over the life of the console and reduce costs, but flash storage is expensive, so you aren't getting as much for your money. It's a much better idea to start at a decent size and then upgrade it than stick with an option that really isn't benefitting gamers with the pitiful amount of storage on the Wii U. Yes, you can plug in your own hard drive, but that just adds another stage of complication to things. If the average person walks into a shop and sees a Wii U with a 32GB on the box, they're clearly going to think the PS4 or Xbox One with 500GB on the box is a lot, lot better (and not even much more expensive!)

You are right multiple sku's themselves are not really an issue but I still prefer to see one Sku at launch and then after that offer more options.

How anyone allowed the basic wii u to get greenlit is astounding. It was clear as day that nobody would find value with such a ridiculous Sku.

Greatly cuts down on loading times, increased reliability of the media, removes the noise of the disc drive, greatly decreased console size, decreased console heat, greatly increased console reliability, decreased console cost and the ability to share Game Cards across both console and handheld (use the exact same physical game card on both console and handheld - there's your cross buy!) and it's a no brainer really. The cost difference between modern day Game Card and BD disc is pretty minuscule now, so it's not really an issue of cost either.

With loading times being so incredibly long with optical media on PS4/Xbone, the alternative would be to copy what MS and Sony do with the PS4/Xbone (have mandatory installs that force the player to copy all data from disc to HDD). That's the kind of tech savvy thing Nintendo do not want to have to ask its audience to have to do. It would also greatly increase the price of the console as well because not only would they have to include a noisy disc drive, but they'd also have to include a large HDD as well; something they won't have to do (and probably wont - I suspect internal flash memory/USB 3 HDDs being used for digital purchases like on Wii U) if they go with Game Cards.

It really is the best solution all round. The main issue here is that of marketing though as many people still associate Game Cards with 90s consoles and handhelds...

As others have said - the PS4/One approach isn't tech savvy any more than your freeview box occasionally retuning new shows or your phone finding a provider when abroad. It just happens. And the Wii U not having it (for space-related reasons) results in things such as this:

Seriously, that game. I can't think of any PS4 title that I have played (or that I have seen Daft play as he plays more) where I have felt so annoyed at the sheer time it takes a game to load something. Yet alone loading the bloody title screen!

But the other point going around about potential customer confusion about different model sizes...do people think this actually happens? As with any product that has multiple versions (consoles, appliances, bikes, hell even the bread aisle) you get people who know what they want, you get people that don't care and get whatever and then you get people that will ask for help.

In my 3 years at Game and 2 years at Woolworths never did I see someone have a breakdown about different SKUs. They just asked. And that's fine. If you provide a better service for your customers but have a few people just asking in a shop it's a better trade off then having a lacklustre hard-drive or some inferior media just because you think a few people may be overwhelmed.

Haha... Lego city was the first game I ever played on my Wii U... I was a little concerned when I saw just how long the loading time was :D They REALLY should have sent out some DLC to speed that up :| I see it's just short of 3 minutes.. but it feels MUCh longer than that. I used to make a cup of tea or take a trip to the bathroom when a load screen appeared... was kinda useful in that regard. Does lego city load any faster if you have the digital version?

Seriously, that game. I can't think of any PS4 title that I have played (or that I have seen Daft play as he plays more) where I have felt so annoyed at the sheer time it takes a game to load something. Yet alone loading the bloody title screen!
Just Cause 3's initial loading time can be pretty terrible:

In fact (although I've not played it for a while now) I believe they managed to make it even worse with the latest patch. :blank:

Nope, it's just as bad either way. It was pretty hilarious though, especially with that music looping over and over :laughing:
Best thing about it. :yay:

Battlefield is currently planned for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC but could it and other EA titles make an appearance on Nintendo's mysterious new console the NX when it comes out next year?

Patrick [söderlund, Executive Vice President, EA Studios] told us: "I personally and the company are huge fans of Nintendo, they're the reason why I started making games,

"We're in constant communication with them and when they come to market with something - and if it makes sense for us - we'll be there."

Yeah, this quote doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that they will be supporting the machine, at least from day 1.

And Emily Rogers says people need to get real with NX specs and that is very much Iwata era hardware...

I'm back on the Handheld that streams to the tv hybrid train and two fingers two 3rd parties !

Meaning what? A suped up Wii U.

I'll pass on that.

Lego City is genuinely ridiculous for loading times. I never got very far because I found it unbearable and it really takes you out of the game having to stare at a loading screen between places, I hadn't experienced loading times that hideous since the PS1 days. And the music just pissed me off in the end.

And Emily Rogers says people need to get real with NX specs and that is very much Iwata era hardware...

I'm back on the Handheld that streams to the tv hybrid train and two fingers two 3rd parties !

But didn't she also said that it's powerful?

Meaning what? A suped up Wii U.

I'll pass on that.

Who knows. If a ps4 is profitable then it could be as powerful as that. I think she just means it won't be a super console, they will make a profit as kimishima stated.

But didn't she also said that it's powerful?

Don't think so.

Don't think so.

I think that she first agreed with the guy on Neogaf, but than changed it and said some things are true, but it's not a lot more powerful than XBOX One, or PS4, but it still sounded like a machine at least as powerful as the PS4 (even if I think that it's not enough and should be a bit more powerful, or if not, then at least more efficient.

Guess I'll just update this with what is currently essentially a rumour, so take your pinches of salt now.

The NX will reportedly be revealed at the Tokyo Game Show, which begins September 15th, along with the PS4 final cash grab Neo.

Gotta gave that anti Nintendo dig obvs. Anyway I suspect the NX will be obsolete within a couple of years

Edited it for you :wink:

Jokes aside. I obviously cannot wait for the NX to be revealed. September seems so far away!

Was this here:

https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016/05/13/so-about-nx/

After speaking to seven different people this week, I can say with confidence that this is false. NX is not using x86 architecture like PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The NX has special, custom-made chips and the overall design of the hardware is very modern. The chips are industry leading because they are very modern chips, but having modern chips doesn’t necessarily mean Nintendo is aiming to create the most powerful hardware on the market. Furthermore, any NX rumors on “Polaris chips” and “Polaris architecture” are all wacky. There’s a good reason why those rumors are wacky.

In terms of raw power, numerous sources tell me that NX is much closer to Xbox One than PlayStation 4. Even that might be stretching it a tiny bit. Anyone who is claiming that NX is “two times the power of PS4 GPU” is being misled by their sources. Based on what I’ve heard, I don’t believe the NX will compete directly with PS4 (Neo) / PS4K in raw power.

There will be plenty of debates over the NX’s specs because it’s not simple to directly compare two apples (with x86 architecture) to an orange (that doesn’t use x86 architecture). But everything that I’ve heard (so far) indicates that NX isn’t going to blow away any of the consoles on the market today…except for Wii U.

And this for neogaf:

I saw something interesting on Semi Accurate today. The details are unfortunately for subscribers only so I have no hard info to post. I've been reading Charlies' stuff for a long time, since before he created Semi Accurate, and he is usually pretty well-informed with his educated guesses on things before he publishes them.

The part that caught my attention is bolded below.

"It’s new console time again and SemiAccurate brings you news of Nintendo’s NX silicon. If you recall our past guesses were pretty spot on and this time should be the same. You might also recall we made some pretty surprising calls on the console silicon front too, and this one will probably make most of you pick your jaw off the floor."

http://semiaccurate.com/2016/05/12/g...-nintendos-nx/

Most people have speculated an AMD APU will be powering the NX, so my interest is piqued by the jaw dropping part. AMD x64 silicon isn't jaw dropping to me. What could the jaw dropping part be referring to?

There is a forum thread at Semi Accurate where people make some interesting guesses, one being that Charlie isn't referring the CPU/GPU, but rather some other chip in the NX.

http://semiaccurate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9162

For those unfamiliar with Semi Accurate, some content is locked behind a paywall, which it turn prevents forums from discussing the content as well. The info will probably trickle out at some point, but until it does I shall be waiting, interest piqued.

EDIT:

Can the machine have similar specs to one of the consoles regarding numbers, but still be better because of efficiency?

Edited by Kounan

Gotta gave that anti Nintendo dig obvs. Anyway I suspect the Neo will be obsolete within a couple of years

Yeah but I was clearly joking.

I absolutely expect the Neo will be a smaller product than the PS4 in terms of sales and expectations.

Also this:

Though Nvidia downplayed console margins, their pride was hurt by the loss in console contracts. All the talk about "focusing on Shield" was a cover for the fact that MS and Sony had soured on them and would not enter negotiations.

Nvidia team was told to get a console win or "go home." Enter Nintendo, who apparently made off very well in this deal. This to the point that SemiAccurate questions whether this is a "win" at all for Nvidia.

SA has heard that Nvidia are promising software, support, and the whole shebang at a very low cost. According to one source, Nvidia may even be taking a loss on this deal.

Not mentioned which generation of Tegra or process node will be used or when the handheld is scheduled for release.

No mention of the home console, but we can speculate what that might be and who might provide the chipset for that one.

http://semiaccurate.com/2016/05/12/g...-nintendos-nx/

Is this a good news? I would like to get the new handheld, but only if the resolution is better.

Edited by Kounan

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!