NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

I can't imagine it putting a strain on the OS, especially when the Vita has party chat and is still snappy. Surely the cost of creating an app for a phone would be more than simply implementing it in your own hardware?

I dunno, the whole things is bonkers. ::shrug:

Feel like I'm taking over from @Serebii and fielding all these questions haha :p

maybe DeNa have convinced them this is the best way forward perhaps?

What we really need is to see it and have them fully explain it, rather than passing mentions or vague answers.

Although I'm excited by it I understand the majority are thinking "what?"! And also it would be much more beneficial to have it at OS level when docked and only on the app when out and about.

They shouldn't have mentioned this app without actually showing it to us though, if they can rustle up a fun parental controls video surely one for this app was possible too?

They shouldn't have mentioned this app without actually showing it to us though, if they can rustle up a fun parental controls video surely one for this app was possible too?

My guess is that it's simply not in a functional state yet. I mean, why announce that you will be eventually charging for online but not show us what we are buying into?

I get that but I don't see how having to get out another portable device when out and about is the answer.

Not forgetting those who don't have smart devices. What do they do?

To me it sounds like a solution to a problem that never existed.

I think going for the smartphone crowd is definitely a strategy.

This is, from what we've seen, a tasty piece of technology. And people who love their tech will by and large have fancy phones. I think Nintendo are going all in to try and intergrate with the mobile market and try and poach/retain people going to mobile gaming.

I mean if this is their online answer, then surely those Snes games with added online should be playable via this app/on mobile?

I get that but I don't see how having to get out another portable device when out and about is the answer.

Not forgetting those who don't have smart devices. What do they do?

To me it sounds like a solution to a problem that never existed.

Because if you're out and about you'd need WiFi for the Switch to be able to party chat. This way you can use the app on your phone to chat regardless. At least that is what I think they are doing which makes perfect sense. BUT it's Nintendo so God only knows how it will actually work in the real world.

What happens if someone calls my whilst the app is open? Do I get booted out of the lobby?

Also, is it going to cause my battery level to plummet? If so, do I need to be next to a charger?

Feel like I'm taking over from @Serebii and fielding all these questions haha :p

maybe DeNa have convinced them this is the best way forward perhaps?

What we really need is to see it and have them fully explain it, rather than passing mentions or vague answers.

Although I'm excited by it I understand the majority are thinking "what?"! And also it would be much more beneficial to have it at OS level when docked and only on the app when out and about.

Sorry man. I got con-flu from the Switch event so I'm slowly dying in the corner :p

What happens if someone calls my whilst the app is open? Do I get booted out of the lobby?

Getting called doesn't close apps. It will probably just mute it.

It is very strange, I mean if it's a solution to portable play, it's fantastic, and we use the switch at home as battery drain isn't a problem. But if this is the only way of doing it, it sounds a bit mental. How do we listen to the game sounds and voice chat? How does it sync with the switch in the first place, how quick si it? There's aloads of problems and it feels completely unnecessary. But can't wait to find out exactly what it all is. Still think they'd have been better to have said nothing until they tell us everything.

Edited by dazzybee

It is very strange, I mean if it's a solution to portable play, it's fantastic, and we use the switch at home as buttery drain isn't a problem. But if this is the only way of doing it, it sounds a bit mental. How do we listen to the game sounds and voice chat? How does it sync with the switch in the first place, how quick si it? There's aloads of problems and it feels completely unnecessary. But can't wait to find out exactly what it all is. Still think they'd have been better to have said nothing until they tell us everything.

This is only a problem when you leave it out of the fridge.

The Wii U supported a wide variety of controllers, some of which had the right stick up top, some below.

The Wii U Pro Controller mimicked the Gamepad.

Or you know, designed the switch to be symmetrical.

As has been pointed out to you, it can't be symmetrical for one joy-con each local multiplayer to work.

Really the attribution of fault should go to Ronnie - who yet again felt the need to bring up the PS4/DS4s in a Nintendo thread about Switch - something which we've seen time and time again leads to such derailments. I didn't see anybody talking about DS4 controllers at the time until Ronnie decided to mention them.

I mentioned them because I wanted to get across the industry standard RRP of controllers and how it compared to the Switch. Very simple.

The 360 had 512mb of ram and did party chat, lobbies and matchmaking just fine.

You're not allowed to mention anything to do with Xbox or Playstation on the Switch thread. @Rummy told me so.

I see your reading comprehension still hasn't improved from your recent venture into the Zelda thread there, @Ronnie.

If you're going to talk about industry standards - why always only compare to the PS4? Usually in a disparaging way? Unless, of course, you realise and readily admit that the PS4 is clearly the ultimate console and is actually the finest definition of industry standard right now that Nintendo should be meeting. I think it's clear that's the explanation here ;)

The PS4 controller is an extremely solid pad.

Not that i'm disagreeing with your whole point (the pad is too expensive, so are the PS4 and Xbox ones too) but fuck me the DS4 is not a solid pad!

Most of my Friends have PS4's, i regularly go to 4 of their houses for parties, to chill etc and play some Rocket League, Fifa or something. Between the four houses there are 10 pads and all bar about 3 have destroyed thumb stick rubbers

My own DS4 died this last week, the R2 will no longer register a full pull of the trigger, which I discovered on Final Fantasy 15 where Controls for Chocobo are Trot using R2 and Sprint Square, but you can only sprint when fully at trotting speed.

After testing it on other games some worked, some didn't depending on how much of a trigger pull it needed.

Took it apart and the rubbers over the circuit board get split open by the shape of the back of the trigger (googled it and its a known fualt), I tried every quick fix and none worked and resorted to buying a replacement piece

That too has now stopped working as it seems the actual board if probably damaged now because i'd obviously been adjusting pressure on the sensor to compensate for it lacking in sensitivity.

Whilst i had it apart i discovered what the rattle its always had was - a random screw just loose in the casing, with no hole it was meant to be in, so just a spare in the casing from being manufactured

Its the worst pad i've ever owned for reliability second only to the WiiU Gamepad, where the rumble now squeeks so has to be left off (not paying £90 for it repairing)

I think Sony, Nintendo (can't say for MS but i'd hazard the guess) have all started producing inferior pads that are poorly manufactured so as to put in extra tech....... and then charge a premium for it!

It sounds like you have had really shit luck. I'm still using my launch system pad and have clocked probably a thousand hours in Destiny alone.

Then again you also get some people who are really rough with their controllers. I'm sure I saw some totally wrecked PS2 controllers at my friends' houses back in the day and I did wonder quite how they fucked up their controllers so badly.

A slightly unrelated observation, but I'm always in awe at how many people seem to completely ruin their phone screens too.

Edited by Sheikah

I see your reading comprehension still hasn't improved from your recent venture into the Zelda thread there, @Ronnie.

If you're going to talk about industry standards - why always only compare to the PS4? Usually in a disparaging way? Unless, of course, you realise and readily admit that the PS4 is clearly the ultimate console and is actually the finest definition of industry standard right now that Nintendo should be meeting. I think it's clear that's the explanation here ;)

I brought up the PS4 because ten minutes prior to my post Sony had announced new DS4s, at an RRP of £50. I thought it was relevant to the discussion about controller prices. Is that alright with you?

It sounds like you have had really shit luck. I'm still using my launch system pad and have clocked probably a thousand hours in Destiny alone.

Then again you also get some people who are really rough with their controllers. I'm sure I saw some totally wrecked PS2 controllers at my friends' houses back in the day and I did wonder quite how they fucked up their controllers so badly.

Considering this thread is full of people disagreeing with you that the DS4 is solidly built, it sounds more like you're the one who's been lucky.

A slightly unrelated observation, but I'm always in awe at how many people seem to completely ruin their phone screens too.

Probably is shit luck, but i'm currently hating my controller, I blame the 400hours of destiny!

And Phone Screens! I don't get how people smash them so frequently ::shrug:

Just catching up and were on vocie chat again.......That quote is just all over the place and so vague! It can't be solely Phone App for voice chat/lobbies etc it just can't be! This surely has to be ANOTHER case of nintendo not communicating their meaning.

I truely believe it has OS voice chat but with a very good app to control it on your phone that gives you options

the alternative is just insane! what about people with dumb phones? Windows or Blackberry? how would your phone even manage a lobby for an online game and link up seamlessly with the audio etc? surely it introduces a Lag

If this was any other company we wouldn't even be considering they'd go that route, but this is nintendo and sometimes they embrace the crazy

6 of my mates and I have 1-2 DS4s each and no one has had any problems in almost 3 years.

That should even the odds with people in here saying the DS4 is poorly built. :p

Anyway, did Nintendo say when more Switch devices will be available to pre-order/buy?

Anyway, did Nintendo say when more Switch devices will be available to pre-order/buy?

They've confirmed its going to be a limited edition console so this 2 million they've put out will never be replenished.

There's also another couple of factors Ronnie - a lot more people are playing PS4s than anything else, by quite some margin, and probably for much longer periods of time (on account of the large number of games and numerous multiplayer titles). Inevitably you're going to hear more cases of controllers being worn out.

I think this discussion is not really hitting the point though to be honest - you can expect controller wear across the board (in fact, virtually every console controller I can remember has had wear issues through extended use). Build quality isn't just durability but the actually quality and feel of the controller itself, which I don't believe the Wii U Pro controller had. Partly I believe that's due to the fact it was an optional controller and didn't have the same degree of thought put into it.

Edited by Sheikah

I can't cancel Zelda bought with my Switch through Nintendo's store :mad: they don't do any amendments to an order once it's been placed. Meaning I'd have to cancel my Switch (and then obviously not be able to get one, because it's sold out) to cancel the game.

I guess I can return it when it arrives, at cost to me... ridiculous.

Someone on Gaf posted this in the Switch online discussion thread.

Local Co-op:

635d24434636c92e5124fd99e411f8a3.jpg

I gotta admit, I LOLed. :D

I can't cancel Zelda bought with my Switch through Nintendo's store :mad: they don't do any amendments to an order once it's been placed. Meaning I'd have to cancel my Switch (and then obviously not be able to get one, because it's sold out) to cancel the game.

That sucks... would it be worth contacting them in a few days to see if you get though to someone else a bit more lenient? :p

Stardew Valley will not be a launch title on Nintendo Switch, but I am still planning on bringing it to the platform later this year.

Playstation Vita

We are currently investigating the possibility of a PS Vita port.

Multiplayer

Multiplayer co-op is still in development… progress has been made but it’s going to be a while yet.

Bah! I was hoping it would be out sooner rather than later. :(

Really. I'll never be ordering from them.

I'm still baffled by this app idea for voice chat.

Me too. Kids won't even be able to play Mario kart with there friends unless they all own smartphones. Pretty ridiculous.

Really. I'll never be ordering from them.

Me too. Kids won't even be able to play Mario kart with there friends unless they all own smartphones. Pretty ridiculous.

That's not ridiculous because pretty much every kid owns their own smart phone. It's just ridiculous full stop!!