NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Yeah that is not what we were discussing though, was it?

It's inconsistent, misaligned, nothing matches up and unbalanced is my problem with the layout and general design.

I also dislike the outdated (even by 2012's standard) glassy design and the drop shadows. Plus the lack of any real contrast and the mismatch of colours for the icons at the bottom. There's three blue icons, one of which a different shade from the rest, which would match with the general blue theme...but then we have orange, green, yellow and red. Just too much. Too unfocused.

Every time I look at it it fucks with my mind because all I see is misalignment. It just looks like things were thrown on and never balanced out.

It was perfectly functional and I'm not criticising that, I was just trying to say the Switch UI seems to be much more modern and aligned with similar services and thankfully a step away from the spaghetti junction that was the Wii U one.

The UI, functionality of Wii U, newly designed so it perfectly combines form and function and we're all happy!! :D

The UI, functionality of Wii U, newly designed so it perfectly combines form and function and we're all happy!! :D

I don't think I understand this sentence...or at least I'm unclear what the subject is of each component.

"The [switch] UI, functionality of Wii U, [combined and] newly designed so it perfectly combines form and function and we're all happy!! :D"

Was that it?

I don't think I understand this sentence...or at least I'm unclear what the subject is of each component.

"The [switch] UI, functionality of Wii U, [combined and] newly designed so it perfectly combines form and function and we're all happy!! :D"

Was that it?

Yeah!

Do we think this menu we see is the full menu, or just the pause menu?

Yeah!

Do we think this menu we see is the full menu, or just the pause menu?

Hopefully for the sake of consistency and UX, it will be largely the same either way (if not exactly the same).

I'm not sure why you're using guides to align the buttons at the bottom of the Wii U menu, they're clearly not meant to be the exact same width/height as each other. The ones that are supposed to be the same height (friends list, tv, notifications), are.

Next week on N-Europe: @Ashley follows up deciphering @dazzybee's posts by uncovering the truth behind his predictive messaging...

I've always liked the Wii U UI myself, never found it annoying or cumbersome, certainly since they quickened the whole thing up as well as it was a bit slow to start with.

Disappointed to hear no streaming apps on Switch for launch, I started netflix on my U in 2013 and have used it ever since!

It does now reinforce my belief that not only is the Switch supposed to be your "second console" as well as PS4 and Xbox one, it's also supposed to compliment your smart device as well; they are stripping it down to games only because you can get everything else at your finger tips on your phone. I'd love to say you could stream from your phone to you tv via Switch etc, but this is Nintendo :p

I bet someone in the Kyoto office said they should embrace mobile gaming and miyamoto has gone off the deep end with it...

I'm not sure why you're using guides to align the buttons at the bottom of the Wii U menu, they're clearly not meant to be the exact same width/height as each other. The ones that are supposed to be the same height (friends list, tv, notifications), are.

Yes I am well aware of that thank you, I was merely finishing off and doing a guide for everything. One could argue they should be the same height as each other, but for whatever reason they decided not to (or didn't decide to), which they've now changed for the Switch by the looks of it.

But there was far more to that image and the argument it was putting forward than the height of the bottom row images.

The distance between those bottom row images (i.e. the spacing) varies across all the icons. The positioning of the hard drive and switch screen icons are inconsistent, the next (and would be previous) arrow is unbalanced, visual flow is intercepted between the main and the bottom icons, yet alone the NNIN/user image and the random circular icon for the screen switch. Plus the aforementioned overly-populated colour palette.

Again, this isn't me slagging off or trying to tarnish Nintendo's name, I was just pointing out that I'm glad that the Switch appears to be more of a modern design and wanted to compare it to the Wii U's to highlight what I meant.

Yes I am well aware of that thank you, I was merely finishing off and doing a guide for everything. One could argue they should be the same height as each other, but for whatever reason they decided not to (or didn't decide to), which they've now changed for the Switch by the looks of it.

They've now changed it for the Switch because the icons are surrounded by a circular border, so of course they're going to be the same size. Free floating buttons on the other hand don't have to be. It's why when companies line various logos up they take surface area into account instead of making everything line up perfectly.

I haven't checked but I suspect the spacing between them is probably consistent, but because of the differing dimensions, makes it look off. If you made each icon a square box, the spacing would probably be consistent.

As for the overly populated colour palette, welcome to Nintendo I guess. ::shrug:

I haven't pre-ordered yet because I'm still waiting for somebody to do some bundles. The whole launch of the Switch is very bizarre from the secrecy to the "part" reveal and now it seems even the retailers are acting strangely. Since when has there not been bundles on a new console.

I haven't pre-ordered yet because I'm still waiting for somebody to do some bundles. The whole launch of the Switch is very bizarre from the secrecy to the "part" reveal and now it seems even the retailers are acting strangely. Since when has there not been bundles on a new console.

Risky I you want one for launch. They may not need to do bundles if they sell out. If you want one for launch I'd order one, then figure it out if someone does a bundle.

I haven't perordered a Switch yet! I'm still waiting for news as to whether I can buy a Japanese Switch, and it'll have an English UI. It sounds promising with the recent news of the eShop and account situation, but I'll have to hold off until absolutely sure. Waiting on Play.Asia to get their preorders rolling, where I'll stick in a preorder for a European Switch, but cancel it if I can pick up a Japanese one (if all is OK) in Taiwan (that'll be a darn sight cheaper than PlayAsia).

All ready ordered a Procontroller for 55 quid from Base.com, and Breath of the Wild. So, I might end up with games and no Switch, LOL. Who knows? Damn there being no Nintendo of Taiwan.

They've now changed it for the Switch because the icons are surrounded by a circular border, so of course they're going to be the same size. Free floating buttons on the other hand don't have to be. It's why when companies line various logos up they take surface area into account instead of making everything line up perfectly.

I haven't checked but I suspect the spacing between them is probably consistent, but because of the differing dimensions, makes it look off. If you made each icon a square box, the spacing would probably be consistent.

As for the overly populated colour palette, welcome to Nintendo I guess. ::shrug:

I have checked. I didn't start critiquing without first checking into it. The difference between the bottom icons is inconsistent.

It looks to me like they're all evenly spaced apart from the center of each icon to the next*. The differing shapes and sizes mean that comparing the spacing between the edges of the icons is pretty pointless.

(Also, that's not even what the bottom row looks like anymore. Get rid of that TVii icon. :heh:)

* I haven't counted the pixels yet, but if I can't notice an inconsistency wihout deliberately looking for it I don't think it's that big a deal. To each their own though, I guess.

Edited by FireMeowth

Yeah, the Wii U's UI was really visually cluttered and inconsistent. The worst thing about the OS though was how incredibly convoluted and slow it was to copy, move and delete files though. Oh dear God! It's a nightmare!

One thing I am looking forward to with the VC, apart from portability, is the prospect of online play in some classic titles. Going into battle with @RedShell in Super Mario Kart would be like a dream come true :grin:
Hehehe! :grin:

Has the online SMK thing actually been confirmed then? Will be very cool if it does happen.

Reminds me of that time I played SNES F-Zero in multiplayer... :woops: *cough* ...which was amazing. ;)

Obviously that was extra special due to the game not being multiplayer in the first place, but yeah, I think playing SMK and other retro games online via the Switch will feel pretty surreal too. :smile:

Hehehe! :grin:

Has the online SMK thing actually been confirmed then? Will be very cool if it does happen.

Online SNES games have pretty much been confirmed. SMK hasn't specifically been mentioned, but come on, we know that's gonna be one of the first things they'll do.

Base have pro controllers for £55. So that's good, a week later and the prices aren't so horrific. Come on Konami, confirm bomber man and please us. I really think Konami could have a big hit on their hands if they sell it for £20; maybe even £30. It'll be a lot of peoples second game I think. Epic Zelda, distraction/multiplayer bomberman!

Base have pro controllers for £55. So that's good, a week later and the prices aren't so horrific. Come on Konami, confirm bomber man and please us. I really think Konami could have a big hit on their hands if they sell it for £20; maybe even £30. It'll be a lot of peoples second game I think. Epic Zelda, distraction/multiplayer bomberman!

https://www.konami.com/games/bomberman/r/eu/en/

Some interesting stuff here...

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-answers-and-avoids-our-switch-questions-1791402953?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

How does the Share button work? Does it allow you to capture video as well as screenshots? Will it allow you to stream on Twitch or YouTube?

The Capture Button is located on the Joy-Con (L) controller and the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller, and lets users grab screenshots from their games. They can then view, edit (add text of various sizes, colors and positions) and post them to social media. The original unedited screenshot is also saved.

We are planning to add the ability to record video in the future.

Switch won’t have Miiverse - will there be Miis? Or any other equivalent?

While Miiverse will continue to be supported on the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS systems, our approach with the Nintendo Switch system is to make greater use of other established, broadly used social platforms. For example, captured gameplay screenshots can be shared on popular social networks, and social features such as voice chat are possible with smart devices through our app.

There is a Mii Maker on Nintendo Switch. The software to create Mii characters is now located in System Settings, and no longer resides on the HOME menu as a standalone application. You can also create a Mii character from the Profile screen. Making Mii characters is similar to the method used on past systems.

Mii characters can be used to represent a user profile, but are not required. Users also have the option to choose a profile picture from an included library of Nintendo character images. Mii characters can still be used in games if developers choose to include them.

You can send/receive Mii characters through local wireless communication between Nintendo Switch systems, or use an amiibo figure to transfer Mii Characters from Wii U and Nintendo 3DS systems.

Mii characters on the Nintendo Switch system are similar to past iterations, but they have some different options. More facial components and colors for hair and skin have been added, while the following attributes have been removed: creator’s name, favorites, birthday, copying, and “public.”

Will Switch support Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO Go, or any other streaming services?

All of our efforts have gone toward making the Nintendo Switch system an amazing dedicated video game platform, so it will not support any video-streaming services at launch. However, support for video-streaming services is being considered for a future update.

Will online stores be region-free or just cartridges?

The Nintendo Switch system is not region locked, but we recommend that players buy games within their region to ensure full service and support. The user will access the Nintendo eShop that corresponds to the country identified in their Nintendo Account. (Up to eight user accounts can be created on a single Nintendo Switch system.)

So it looks like the eShop works the same way that the PSN and XBL stores do. Make an account for each region.

At least I don't have to worry about not being able to get 60hz versions of VC games anymore! :yay:

Some interesting stuff here...

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-answers-and-avoids-our-switch-questions-1791402953?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

So it looks like the eShop works the same way that the PSN and XBL stores do. Make an account for each region.

At least I don't have to worry about not being able to get 60hz versions of VC games anymore! :yay:

Looks like I'll be downloading Binding of Isaac then! :D

That is actually brilliant. So, if I buy a £15 points card from a UK shop, do you think I will be able to load that onto the Japanese eShop?

PS - Do we have an update on whether SL and SR conduct anything?

There's a series of small holes at the bottom of the "bar" that slots into the console. Charging is likely through that.

That is actually brilliant. So, if I buy a £15 points card from a UK shop, do you think I will be able to load that onto the Japanese eShop?

If it's the same as the Playstation and Xbox way of doing things, it requires you to either use a credit card or buy a credit voucher in the regions currency you are purchasing from. You can't carry over any credit from say the UK store over to the US store.

Probably not. I'm pretty sure you'd have to buy a points card that matches the region (just like with PSN/XBL). Foreign debit cards do work on the Japanese Wii/DSi/3DS/Wii U eShops/shopping channels though (I know this from personal experience), so chances are that you'll be able to just buy stuff using your card.

No clue.

So I'd always assumed the red icon was 'Games' or home screen but it turns out it's actually more like a Notifications section. I wonder how you get to the home screen if you're inside that, or settings etc

bQXSof.jpeg

I guess it could just be via the home button.