NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Me too. Kids won't even be able to play Mario kart with there friends unless they all own smartphones. Pretty ridiculous.

Considering the amount of kids walking around with phones better than mine during the Pokemon Go craze, I don't think this is a problem. :D

Don't think the Switch is targeted at the same demographic as, say, the DS was.

Definitely seems to be a crossover in target audience between this and GO, which was something new with a lot of nostalgia, and to be honest, there were plenty more young adults/adults playing GO when compared to children (of course). Switch seems to be working towards the same demographic, so all being said online chat being on a phone won't really tarnish anyone's experience.

Smart move in my mind.

Switch seems to be working towards the same demographic, so all being said online chat being on a phone won't really tarnish anyone's experience.

It will tarnish mine and there is a significant number of people/gamers who are annoyed by Nintendo's decision.

I don't want to use my phone to do voice chat. Not while playing at home, not while playing anywhere else.

I want to plug in my headset into the console/use a bluetooth headset, invite people to party chat within the Switch OS and also not rely on a phone app for matchmaking and lobbies.

Of course it will tarnish your experience!

Having to use another device alongside the Switch is unwieldy.

No game audio coming through the headphones from the smart device.

Possible interruptions from your smart device notifications.

Draining of battery on the smart device.

It's an awful decision! For all the above they are even going to be charging you for the inconvenience! It's a total dick move!

They should've had these on the Switch OS and released a wireless headset to go with it (wireless so that when the Switch is docked you aren't tied to the console by a cable).

Edited by Kav

I brought up the PS4 because ten minutes prior to my post Sony had announced new DS4s, at an RRP of £50. I thought it was relevant to the discussion about controller prices. Is that alright with you?

I didn't ask why you brought up the PS4/DS4 - so I'm not sure why you're telling me that(though we've clearly already been over the issue of your reading comprehension anyway). I asked why you don't bring up more than one comparison if you're talking about industry standards as you claim, unless you think the PS4 is representative enough to be a definition of the industry standard which, as I've already said, is the conclusion I am forced to draw from your posts given your previous argument made. I'm not going to blame or fault you for it, the PS4 is actually a pretty good system and a clear market leader - but I don't agree with you that it should be used as the comparison for 'the industry standard'.

I'm still in the camp of one who has no issue with the DS4 so far - can't tell you my total playtime but I've got two pads and I play most days, albeit only having had my PS4 for maybe a year and a half. I haven't experienced the flaws referenced with the pads; though I am aware of them being issues in other pads. I'm presuming/hoping that the reason I haven't had it with my pads is that I either don't/haven't played as much as those other pads have been played with; or that they've address the issues in newer manufactured pads.

Coming back to my original point/post - we've seen good build quality from Nintendo before from pads such as the GC pad(held by some as the best pad ever made) - why haven't we seen that level of standard in their offerings since? Unless of course you feel you have, but for me it hasn't really been the case. Whilst I think the Wiimote was of a decent build; it didn't 'feel' as good as a GC pad; and I felt the nunchuck was far too light too/fragile feeling. I also felt the build of the WiiU generally was a bit poor though the Gamepad was still better build than the console. However I still didn't feel it was really up there in the league of pad offerings: it just wasn't a great feeling build or design; especially on log sessions or if you had to hold the pad one handed a lot(ninja game in Nintendo land got tiring due to pad's poor balance imo).

Just catching up and were on vocie chat again.......That quote is just all over the place and so vague! It can't be solely Phone App for voice chat/lobbies etc it just can't be! This surely has to be ANOTHER case of nintendo not communicating their meaning.

I truely believe it has OS voice chat but with a very good app to control it on your phone that gives you options

the alternative is just insane! what about people with dumb phones? Windows or Blackberry? how would your phone even manage a lobby for an online game and link up seamlessly with the audio etc? surely it introduces a Lag

If this was any other company we wouldn't even be considering they'd go that route, but this is nintendo and sometimes they embrace the crazy

The thing is, many keep saying that it HAS to be wrong - and then it isn't. How many people were defending the conclusions some of us correctly 'leapt' to regarding online service, voice chat, free games etc. as a miscommunication by Nintendo that then turned out to be accurate?

That's not ridiculous because pretty much every kid owns their own smart phone. It's just ridiculous full stop!!

Again, my phone broke this week - am I then locked out of the online service that I'm paying for because of it? Is it fair? Gives Nintendo full liability to not give a shit either, as it's not their device to support.

Edited by Rummy

Yeah, there's no argument when it comes to what we've already heard about online - it's a really dumb decision. Saying they wanted to avoid 'bulky headsets' just shows that a social online experience was an afterthought, if they'd been truly serious about giving the user options then they would have included a microphone in the system itself, as well as a headphone jack on the controller. Adding voice chat functionality through an app just proves that they're shoehorning it in.

It's definitely the thing I'm most concerned about in regards to the Switch going forward, I think the hardware itself looks fantastic and although launch games are a bit lacklustre, I'm optimistic Nintendo will offer more consistent releases than they did with the Wii U. I also think it's going to be a success in Japan regardless of it does well elsewhere which will singlehandely ensure its longevity and that it sees continued third party releases, at least from Japanese publishers and developers. I'm sure there will be some inherent value in the online service itself, but hopefully Nintendo listen to people's concerns and offer voice chat, matchmaking and messaging as an OS level on the device itself, even if that functionality comes a few months down the line. If they don't then a lot of people are going to be turned off from ever paying for the online.

I have nothing to add on the Switch, but out me down as another one who has no issues with the DS4. Mine still looks good as new, despite me rage throwing it a couple of times.

I cant actually think of a console I've owned from the beginning where a controller has broken personally. The only examples I've had have been PS2 and SNES pads that I've bought from eBay with the consoles years later.

I have nothing to add on the Switch, but out me down as another one who has no issues with the DS4. Mine still looks good as new, despite me rage throwing it a couple of times.

Just to be a devil's advocate despite saying that I feel the GC's a pretty damn solid pad - I've also seen a few of them where the analogue stick has been worn apart. Admittedly more so it feels like situations where the pad's been super rinsed(gaming bars etc) but thought it's worth adding to the mix nonetheless.

Yeah, there's no argument when it comes to what we've already heard about online - it's a really dumb decision. Saying they wanted to avoid 'bulky headsets' just shows that a social online experience was an afterthought, if they'd been truly serious about giving the user options then they would have included a microphone in the system itself, as well as a headphone jack on the controller. Adding voice chat functionality through an app just proves that they're shoehorning it in.

It's definitely the thing I'm most concerned about in regards to the Switch going forward, I think the hardware itself looks fantastic and although launch games are a bit lacklustre, I'm optimistic Nintendo will offer more consistent releases than they did with the Wii U. I also think it's going to be a success in Japan regardless of it does well elsewhere which will singlehandely ensure its longevity and that it sees continued third party releases, at least from Japanese publishers and developers. I'm sure there will be some inherent value in the online service itself, but hopefully Nintendo listen to people's concerns and offer voice chat, matchmaking and messaging as an OS level on the device itself, even if that functionality comes a few months down the line. If they don't then a lot of people are going to be turned off from ever paying for the online.

For someone that started my voice chatting career very briefly with Xbox for a month, but embraced far more come Xbox 360 and now PS4 - I can't stay I've ever felt any of them to be 'bulky headsets' and in particular the PS4 certainly is anything but as far as I'm concerned. Not to mention I carry some cheap but bulky actually headphones(not earbuds) around with me anyway that I wouldn't care about a bulky headset if I was playing a game on the go by myself - my bigger issue is that Nintendo essentially seem to be providing almost fuck all to support this online system of theirs. You have to use your own phone, rinse your own battery, presumably have your own headset etc - I don't ever use one on my phone and if I did it'd be at home where I can use my PS4 one - but I'm not gonna risk taking that out and about with me to lose and jeopardise my usual voice chat! Why on earth would you take this approach and assume everyone has some sort of mic/headset to use with their phone - or are you equally bizarrely expecting people to be doing it handsfree without any sort of headset at all?!

I didn't ask why you brought up the PS4/DS4 - so I'm not sure why you're telling me that

You're not asking me why I brought them up, but you were giving me shit for it. “Really the attribution of fault should go to Ronnie - who yet again felt the need to bring up the PS4/DS4s in a Nintendo thread about Switch - something which we've seen time and time again leads to such derailments.” So forgive me for defending myself against your latest tedious attack.

though we've clearly already been over the issue of your reading comprehension anyway

The latest sly dig at my reading comprehension is as pathetic as it was the first time you said it, now with added condescension, bravo.

I asked why you don't bring up more than one comparison

Because I chose not to, it was my post after all. As I've already told you (what were you saying about reading comprehension?) I chose to only bring up the DS4 because a brand new model had just been announced ten minutes prior. It was the fairest comparison. Just released RRP v soon to be released RRP, as opposed to Xbox One controllers which have been out for ages.

unless you think the PS4 is representative enough to be a definition of the industry standard which, as I've already said, is the conclusion I am forced to draw from your posts given your previous argument made. I'm not going to blame or fault you for it, the PS4 is actually a pretty good system and a clear market leader - but I don't agree with you that it should be used as the comparison for 'the industry standard'.

*shakes head* A basic level of common sense would tell you that I was looking at both Nintendo and Playstation. 50 and 60 quid Pro controllers. Industry standard price approx £55. Well done to the PS4 for selling well this gen though.

I cant actually think of a console I've owned from the beginning where a controller has broken personally. The only examples I've had have been PS2 and SNES pads that I've bought from eBay with the consoles years later.

Ironically I've just realised that I've had more Cube pads break on my than anything else. I lost two 3rd party N64 ones too, but that's not official so I kinda don't count them. I've had two cube pads where sticks got funny/would always calibrate off centre. Luckily I had other pads about but in the much later life of the console when I was still dipping in and out(most often for Smash) it could be tricky as pads were hard to come by - somewhat alleviated with Wii and WiiU/Smash but still wasn't particularly great a thing to happen. One pad did last absolutely years and saw a shit ton of use, another was only a couple years of occasional and mostly smash. Luckily I've got two working pads to back me now - but as I said would have been a bit annoying at the time if I didn't happen to have some fortunate spares about! One time I remember having a pad that was about 3 different ones put together :p

Because I chose not to, it was my post after all. As I've already told you (what were you saying about reading comprehension?) I chose to only bring up the DS4 because a brand new model had just been announced ten minutes prior. It was the fairest comparison. Just released RRP v soon to be released RRP, as opposed to Xbox One controllers which have been out for ages.

Then I'll stand my point of your poor English skills. To class the offerings of one thing in the market as 'the industry standard' as you did is frankly bizarre. That's the argument you claimed you were making, no? So either you think the PS4/DS4 is industry standard and that's fine, or you don't and in that case I don't understand why you said you were referring to 'the industry standard' whilst using just a sole example to illustrate it in reference to your comparator(in this case, the as yet unreleased Switch). Don't hold me accountable because you can't express nor interpret what appears to be fairly plain English clearly.

Then I'll stand my point of your poor English skills.

English skills.

:blank:

I think it's time to move on.

The more I think about it, the more I think Nintendo are marketing the Switch as a back to basics console. Think about it, it has literally no extra fluff in the device. It has the games, settings and shop. That's it. Other things are relegated to apps. Miiverse has been removed in favour of direct to social media. No multimedia capabilities or software at launch.

It is a pure, unadulterated, games device, and I think that's pretty cool. While it sucks that them doing that means there may not actually be any processing power left for the features we want such as Friend list, lobby, activity log etc., I think it's neat

The more I think about it, the more I think Nintendo are marketing the Switch as a back to basics console. Think about it, it has literally no extra fluff in the device. It has the games, settings and shop. That's it. Other things are relegated to apps. Miiverse has been removed in favour of direct to social media. No multimedia capabilities or software at launch.

It is a pure, unadulterated, games device, and I think that's pretty cool. While it sucks that them doing that means there may not actually be any processing power left for the features we want such as Friend list, lobby, activity log etc., I think it's neat

Sounds like a nice excuse

Sounds like a nice excuse

Rather agree. If anything feel like it's got a lot of unnecessary here - it certainly seems like Switch more than anything else!

I really hope that some more day 1 games are announced or at least some good bundles. I'm going to pre-order just in case I can't get one, but will be in the rather unique position of owning a brand new console with no games to play on it.

I agree here, I think too much has been made by gamers hating on what Nintendo is / isn't doing with the Switch. Yes, Nintendo is not giving clarity over certain aspects of the console and while that may be frustrating to a relatively small, but very loud number of Western gamers, all-in-all these things likely are not so important to the majority of people who eventually pick the console up. They want us to focus on the games.

People criticize Nintendo for innovating for innovation's sake, but they still manage to provide unparalleled experiences on whatever device they put out. This, I feel, is why people buy Nintendo devices. Connectivity, voice chat, form factor, power, all of this takes a back seat to the games. If the games are good (and frequent), they will come.

Nintendo is going to do what makes sense for Nintendo, just like they did with the DS, the Wii or and the 3DS. They likely don't care if a group of people want certain features. And while this approach failed with the Wii U, they are addressing that in their own way, as they always have done. The Switch is their vision for gaming, despite what we may want. We then can decide, come March 3rd, whether we want to support that vision with our hard earned cash.

I am excited by the console, and the games. I think it is an interesting concept and I already have a list of games for the system which I'm keen to play. At the end of the day, this is what matters for me. For others of course it will be different, and they will decide whether they buy it or not.

All the criticism is somewhat justified, of course, because we are passionate Nintendo fans who want to see the company succeed. We want to play their games and enjoy their devices fully. But I also think we are in a bit of a bubble, and in a minority when it comes to the potential audience for the Switch. I think the amount of negativity hurled in Nintendo's direction is becoming ridiculous. "They haven't learned their lesson!" is the cry I hear the loudest. "They aren't matching the industry standards!" is another. But my question is, when have they ever done either of these things? When has Nintendo ever catered fully to a Western audience?

If these aspects are so vitally important to you, you have every right to state your opinion here and to not purchase a Switch. However, I think many people need to take a step back, place less emphasis on speculation as fact and wait and see what Nintendo is offering. Yes, it's frustrating, but here we have potentially the most exciting Nintendo console and collection of games since the GameCube and instead of focusing on what IS there, some are instead focusing on what ISN'T, despite not having clarity from Nintendo themselves. Nintendo, in the grand scheme of things, obviously don't find these aspects as vital to shifting the launch systems and thus are not speaking about it. No one is forcing anyone to place a pre-order or buy the system at launch, if you're not happy, wait and look at the system again in six months or a year.

We know very little of HD rumble or the online structure / account system at the moment, so why focus on it so heavily? Surely it would be better to criticise once we have all the details, or have tried for ourselves? Maybe there will be a voice chat app on the system, maybe not, we don't know. It makes sense to have it over the phone if the system is portable, but for home it may be less than ideal. We know we won't be faced with a choice of paying until Autumn either way, so we can make an informed decision closer to the time whether to buy the system and subscribe to the online service.

Nintendo gonna Nintendo and while it may be frustrating, we are not the sole focus of Nintendo's plans at the moment, so it goes without saying we won't hear everything we want or in as much detail as we want. Nintendo are currently selling the console on the control innovations and the games, in time they may or may not address the issues a certain minority have, but they are clearly not ready yet. You can vote against that approach by not purchasing a Switch.

That's my two pence anyway.

You're not asking me why I brought them up, but you were giving me shit for it. “Really the attribution of fault should go to Ronnie - who yet again felt the need to bring up the PS4/DS4s in a Nintendo thread about Switch - something which we've seen time and time again leads to such derailments.” So forgive me for defending myself against your latest tedious attack.

The latest sly dig at my reading comprehension is as pathetic as it was the first time you said it, now with added condescension, bravo.

*shakes head* A basic level of common sense would tell you that I was looking at both Nintendo and Playstation. 50 and 60 quid Pro controllers. Industry standard price approx £55. Well done to the PS4 for selling well this gen though.

I think you place way too much importance on RRP. The v2 PS4 controllers have just come out, like you said, but already Tesco are selling them on at 40 quid. I should think that Sony are therefore selling them for a reasonable price to retailers.

As is often the case with Nintendo, their RRPs may be close to competitor RRPs but this ultimately means little to the consumer; their stuff often stays quite close to RRP. In my experience, anyway. We'll see how quickly them Switch joy-cons go down in price.

I don't think anyone wants a pure console in the sense of it lacking pretty essential features, or at least implementing them sensibly. It's like saying your house is pure because it lacks central heating.

Edited by Sheikah
Automerged Doublepost

I don't think anyone wants a pure console in the sense of it lacking pretty essential features, or at least implementing them sensibly. It's like saying your house is pure because it lacks central heating.

My house does lack central heating :p

Yeah but are you happy about that? Freezing your bollocks off? :p

So does mine, maybe that's why we're not so fussed when it comes to industry standards ;)

Must defend Nintendo at all costs.. must defend Nintendo at all costs..

Sorry but you are making excuses.. is it that hard for you to say that this smartphone app idea is ridiculous

Must defend Nintendo at all costs.. must defend Nintendo at all costs..

Sorry but you are making excuses.. is it that hard for you to say that this smartphone app idea is ridiculous

Where am I defending?

Providing logical reasons/hypotheses != defending.

Just because I'm not jumping on the hate wagon doesn't mean a thing. Yes, there are elements of the Switch that are bizarre, but come on. I'm just willing to look beyond things.

I guess I have a different way of viewing things than some people. I look at things for what they are, not what they aren't.

why announce that you will be eventually charging for online but not show us what we are buying into?

Because it is reasonable to assume online is free on a Nintendo system. If they are going to charge they need to be upfront about it.

And maybe they were vague and quiet so they could see what exactly we do and don't want. We can at least hope.

It's only just hit me how much I may miss having a D-Pad on the left Joy-Con :blank:

I'm sure if Nintendo create 2D platformers they'll be developed around the absence of D-Pad but I was considering the Switch as being the place to go to town on VC purchases given that I largely ignored it on Wii U. Playing NES and SNES games with an analogue stick may sour that slightly but hopefully it won't be too problematic in reality!