NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

:( How is the euro to pound conversions generally?

So I'd always assumed the red icon was 'Games' or home screen but it turns out it's actually more like a Notifications section. I wonder how you get to the home screen if you're inside that, or settings etc

bQXSof.jpeg

I guess it could just be via the home button.

Or maybe when the software is closed. Or, maybe this is it!

:( How is the euro to pound conversions generally?

I'll be surprised if they give it an official RRP of anything below £49.99 in the event that it's selling for €49.99.

I'll be surprised if they give it an official RRP of anything below £49.99 in the event that it's selling for €49.99.

Are all the other games doing that?

My Nintendo Japan get to choose their colour combinations...

I quite like the idea of having Red and Blue as the backs of the controllers and grey on the front.

They don't get to choose fronts and backs of the joycon. They can change the colors of the joycons and their accompanying straps.

This is roughly where I'm at right now..

To be honest, unless Nintendo pull a few rabbits out of the hat in the next few weeks I imagine I'll cancel my preorder as it just doesn't make sense for me to jump into Switch right away. I barely even have time to play what I've got :red:

@Retro_Link there is a truth in the "gumdrop" analogy. Nintendo need to entice gamers more. They did this in the past but have become ever guarded with their upcoming software, often showing games at the last minute. Excitebots would be a prime example. They come and go with a whimper and the worst thing is they are usually decent games. Unlike some other devs who hype the hell out of things that turn out poor.

Zelda, MK8, Splatoon 2 and Mario odyssey are probably the gum drops for switch right now. Agree there aren't enough yet though.

Zelda, MK8, Splatoon 2 and Mario odyssey are probably the gum drops for switch right now. Agree there aren't enough yet though.

Considering how little they've said about online functionalities and the eShop, and that we've still got six weeks to go (and information regarding new titles was withheld: see Fire Emblem) I'd say there aren't enough announced right now, but that seems subject to change.

We know that GAMEFREAK are working on a Pokémon title for the Switch, and we also know that Retro have had something in the works for quite a while now (Metroid or Donkey Kong?). And let's not forget the potential other titles, such as VC GC ports (Melee), VC GameBoy ports (Mother 3, Pokémon Gold/Silver), Wii ports (Skyward Sword anyone?) and other potential Wii U ports (Smash, Pokken, etc.).

The potential for first party games alone is incredibly high. If they act on it, then the number of gumdrops could potentially double or even triple in the first year of launch when compared to what is currently slated. Fingers crossed!

EDIT: knew I forgot something! Potentially Pikmin too!!

Edited by Julius Caesar

Those are great sweets though I've eaten so many Mario Kart 8 sweets that I'm not sure the prospect of more is enough to look forward to.

I feel like we're in a position where we know Nintendo are out shopping at the moment and they'll probably bring us home some sweets as a surprise, like they sometimes do, but we don't know if they're going to bring us some tasty Skittles or Fruit Pastilles or if they're going to maybe bring home Dolly Mixtures or Liquorice Allsorts thinking we like them when really they're disgusting :blank:

Great read on gamesindustry about DFI Intelligence thinking the Switch will sell 40 million units by 2020 http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-01-20-nintendo-switch-to-sell-40m-units-by-2020-dfc

I think it comes down to this Holiday season to be honest. If they can get out Pokémon alongside Mario Odyssey, have the console drop down to £220 or so and have NBA 2K18, FIFA, Pokémon (if it's coming) and Mario bundles out (the latter two prime candidates for a special edition console makeover), and a decent catalogue of games has already been built up (Smash port, Mother 3, Metroid (?), Pokémon G/S, etc.) alongside already announced games such as obvious GOTY candidate Zelda: BotW, MK8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2?

It'll be a home run, they'll push ahead with first party development as always, and if some publishers haven't already jumped on board, I'm sure they'd want to if it sells great this Christmas. And when your main rivals are going to be a potential £400/500+ (!) hardcore gaming console in the Scorpio (which will likely alienate casual and younger gamers) and VR (which has yet to really take off)? I'm excited for Nintendo. I hope they give us some more stuff in the coming year to prove my excitement was earned!

Edited by Julius Caesar

Those are great sweets though I've eaten so many Mario Kart 8 sweets that I'm not sure the prospect of more is enough to look forward to.

I feel like we're in a position where we know Nintendo are out shopping at the moment and they'll probably bring us home some sweets as a surprise, like they sometimes do, but we don't know if they're going to bring us some tasty Skittles or Fruit Pastilles or if they're going to maybe bring home Dolly Mixtures or Liquorice Allsorts thinking we like them when really they're disgusting :blank:

I like liquorice allsorts.... some own brand dolly mixtures aren't bad either (though the big brand one I agree... disgusting).

Mario kart 8 deluxe I'm just not getting as things stand. They would need to offer me a significant discount (basically battle mode dlc price range) and I don't see that happening. Would be nice if Deluxe and Wii U players were able to play against each other though, a bit like we could on mk8 with the dlc... again don't see it happening though.

Splatoon 2.. I need to know how things stand with online subs.

And the console itself.. if it had the Wii U browser I'd have gotten it as a tablet and then bought games when I felt like it. As it stands it needs a solid library of games. I'm trying to complete the fit meter challenges on wii fit u before getting a switch... we'll see how that goes (I'm a few thousand kilometers off still... I think I need to average like 30 km a day to be able to by a switch in a years time :D)

Great read on gamesindustry about DFI Intelligence thinking the Switch will sell 40 million units by 2020 http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-01-20-nintendo-switch-to-sell-40m-units-by-2020-dfc

I think it comes down to this Holiday season to be honest. If they can get out Pokémon alongside Mario Odyssey, have the console drop down to £220 or so and have NBA 2K18, FIFA, Pokémon (if it's coming) and Mario bundles out (the latter two prime candidates for a special edition console makeover), and a decent catalogue of games has already been built up (Smash port, Mother 3, Metroid (?), Pokémon G/S, etc.) alongside already announced games such as obvious GOTY candidate Zelda: BotW, MK8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2?

It'll be a home run, they'll push ahead with first part my development as always, and if some publishers haven't already jumped on board, I'm sure they'd want to if it sells great this Christmas. And when your main rivals are going to be a potential £400/500+ (!) hardcore gaming console in the Scorpio (which will likely alienate casual and younger gamers) and VR (which has yet to really take off)? I'm excited for Nintendo. I hope they give us some more stuff in the coming year to prove my excitement was earned!

Great post, fingers crossed.

Can anyone remember what games were announced with the reveal of 3DS at E3 2010? I seem to recall there were plenty of big ones - Ocarina of Time 3D, Star Fox 64 3D, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion 2.

By comparison, Switch is not yet as impressive, with Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2 and the promise of a new Fire Emblem.

It's good, but I don't think it hits the spot quite as much. Both had a mixture of brand new games and remakes/games you could get on another system, but 3DS's original games were less obvious. With Switch, I think we need a bit more reassurance that it's not just going to be the usual, guaranteed sellers. Admittedly, Switch's development costs will be higher than 3DS, but it will make a difference when we have seen decent footage of more games we hope/expect to arrive on the system.

I though I'd have a bit of a clear out of games to trade in for the Switch. I've got 6 Wii U games I have never even started, so a bit of a marathon is required to get these done. Plus I've got a few more download games but obviously I can't reade these in so not so much urgency. What has been a revelation is how much Nintendo's in house games are worth for trade in. All £15 + whereas the yearly update games like Fifa/COD/AC are all worth pennies in comparison. I've got over £100 of trade in value so decided to go for it and order all the Switch accessories at launch.

I though I'd have a bit of a clear out of games to trade in for the Switch. I've got 6 Wii U games I have never even started, so a bit of a marathon is required to get these done. Plus I've got a few more download games but obviously I can't reade these in so not so much urgency. What has been a revelation is how much Nintendo's in house games are worth for trade in. All £15 + whereas the yearly update games like Fifa/COD/AC are all worth pennies in comparison. I've got over £100 of trade in value so decided to go for it and order all the Switch accessories at launch.

What are the games? May be worth trying folks here before trading them all in; could beat the trade-in prices!

Are Nintendo getting these in stores like in the US for people to try?

If it's the same as the Playstation and Xbox way of doing things, it requires you to either use a credit card or buy a credit voucher in the regions currency you are purchasing from. You can't carry over any credit from say the UK store over to the US store.

Good thing about Nintendo is they allow one to use a debit/credit card on another region eShop, well they did with the Wii.

With Playstation I can't use my card on the US store as it doesn't accept non US billing address.

Are Nintendo getting these in stores like in the US for people to try?

There's no official word on this yet to my recollection, but I'll be surprised if there isn't. GAME seems the most likely to carry any Switch try-outs at this point, if anyone; if they're planning on doing so, we'll probably hear something by the end of the first week of February.

@Clownferret ( plus any others who are interested ) GAME have a Switch bundle for £320. It's the console and Zelda.

If it was £250, I'd consider jumping in, even with the shambolic online the console has.

I just don't see £280 for the console alone being a figure of worth.

@Clownferret ( plus any others who are interested ) GAME have a Switch bundle for £320. It's the console and Zelda.

Not much of a deal, but it's a start at least...

The console is £198.50 at Gameseek.co.uk - what's the catch? It seems too low to be true.