NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Everyone mentioning that save data can go on the game cartridges seem to be neglecting those who will be downloading their games digitally. Even a 128GB SD card is going to fill up quickly :hmm:

What is the biggest SD card available these days?

Everyone mentioning that save data can go on the game cartridges seem to be neglecting those who will be downloading their games digitally. Even a 128GB SD card is going to fill up quickly :hmm:

What is the biggest SD card available these days?

512gb I think

That's true. A 128GB SD card can only take up like 3 patches for PS4/XBO games.

That's true. A 128GB SD card can only take up like 3 patches for PS4/XBO games.

The same third party PS4/XBO games Nintendo is apparently gunning for. PS4/XBO games like Skyrim, for example.

512gb I think

I'll no doubt be purchasing games physically so that would probably be more than enough for me but it's not going to be anywhere near enough for others.

It'll be interesting to see their solution!

Also, I was thinking about @kav82 and his unrelenting desire for party chat and wondered if there's a headphone port on any of the controllers other than the screen? ::shrug:

The same third party PS4/XBO games Nintendo is apparently gunning for. PS4/XBO games like Skyrim, for example.

Indeed. I am curious as to how they're going to go about this

So I just been thinking - the dock provides power/charging, right? Does that mean you can ONLY charge the thing on the dock? What if you want to play in bed, or someone else has the TV? If you start to red-light then what, you have to go plug it in and leave it to charge or hope that the TV is free to play then?

What if you take it out and about with you, and you can't save exactly where you are at the time when you stop playing - and then the thing dies? If there's not extra way to charge it outside of the dock I can see some potential issues.

Wow, quite a bit to take in here! I'm still trying to get my head around it all. :hehe:

Will post some thoughts tomorrow.

That struck me as being quite strange too, but I'm pretty sure there's a good reason for it. Yeah, I reckon that small section of screen will provide notifications when the system is docked, like so:

C0RbsnK.jpg

Or it really is just there to annoy you, we shall see. :heh:

I hate to go too crazy with the wild speculations - but is there any chance it sticks out a bit at the top simply just to make it easier to grab the thing back out of the dock? ::shrug:

Really do like your little notifications idea though!

Jogcon

Exactly my thoughts whenever I hear the name ;)

I can't help but worry that by not talking about it more before Christmas they're potentially losing sales. If people could make an informed decision they might hold out buying another console for Christmas, but 3 minutes of video might not be enough for some to decide to wait.

Who knows. Wake me in January.

Yeah I was just thinking that as reading myself. Bit dangerous imo.

I mean, I know you're agreeing with me :p but it's not impossible that some games will utilise the tablet and the TV, probably just using the dock as a transmitter of game information, so only getting the amount of available power that you get undocked.

Certainly a possibility I wouldn't put past someone like Nintendo.

Interesting, Famitsu asked Nintendo about backwards compatibility.

Nintendo replied by saying Wii U game discs and Nintendo 3DS game cards could not be used on the Switch.

It's interesting that they specified the physical media only.

I'm going to be looking at this as a handheld mainly. I just don't think it can compete as a home console. With the size of it (taking into account it's incorporating a screen and battery), I just don't think it can compete with the other home consoles in terms of power. Where's the room for cooling etc? Multiplatform games will no doubt be worse than the rival's offering, especially if patches will be limited by the storage.

As a handheld however, I think it looks the nuts. I do worry about the connections between the control section and the screen though. They'll need to be pretty robust if it's to be used as a portable. Plus, the controllers slide up/the screen slides down and people are idiots, so I can see quite a few people dropping the screen out of the bottom of it and smashing it.

So I just been thinking - the dock provides power/charging, right? Does that mean you can ONLY charge the thing on the dock? What if you want to play in bed, or someone else has the TV? If you start to red-light then what, you have to go plug it in and leave it to charge or hope that the TV is free to play then?

I'd assume there would be a charge cable available. The dock will probably just have a connector at the bottom to make a physical connection. Should just be a case of making a wire with the same connector.

Yeah I'm expecting that too @Goafer but it's Nintendo after all! They don't even like putting chargers with some of their handhelds as standard!

So, Nintendo Switch ey? :hehe:

Well I'm liking the name, and that "click" sound effect they got going on in the trailer. :D The logo... not so much. But anyway, as for the system itself I'm very happy the hybrid thing ended up being the real deal, as this should massively improve the situation with Nintendo's own software output.

It's pretty difficult to tell at this point, but I am slightly concerned about the size of the Switch (particularly its width) when the controllers are attached. It just seems a bit on the big side in order to be comfortably portable. :hmm:

Build quality is another concern (although Nintendo has a fantastic track record in that department) I wonder how durable the connection points will be. Would be pretty bad if the Joy-Con controllers became wobbly over time. :heh:

As for the Joy-Con controllers, I like the look of using one in each hand, that seems like it could be pretty comfy, but holding just one of them sideways... yeah, not so sure about that.

Also, I take it both of these things will have their own battery inside (which charges while connected to the screen+dock, or the controller attachment thingy) but with them being so tiny I do wonder about the battery life here.

To be honest though I don't see myself using the Switch in its portable multiplayer mode very much (if at all) so in a way I would've preferred a version without detachable controllers that could've perhaps been a little bit smaller/more portable too.

But yeah, the fact we're getting a system with home console specifications in a handheld form-factor is certainly impressive, icon14.gif and I was always going to be getting one for Nintendo's games anyway.

Looking forward to more info and a proper look at the games, especially this "new" Mario Kart. ;)

I hate to go too crazy with the wild speculations - but is there any chance it sticks out a bit at the top simply just to make it easier to grab the thing back out of the dock? ::shrug:
Probably. :hehe:

I'm going to be disappointed now though if that's the only reason for it. :laughing:

Isn't there a 1TB SD card now? Is there a reason there'd be a limit on the size of SD cards? Surely it be an SDSC reader?!

They're fucking expensive though, a 512g card is about £150

I don't think they flipped the control stick down to match the Xbone and Gamecube. I think they had to put it there so that when you hold the right mini controller it resembles a wiimote. If the control stick was at the top, you would struggle to operate the buttons as they'd be further towards your palm.

I don't know why other people aren't understanding this is why the controller looks the way it does. Same for the dpad.

Isn't there a 1TB SD card now? Is there a reason there'd be a limit on the size of SD cards? Surely it be an SDSC reader?!

They're fucking expensive though, a 512g card is about £150

I'm sure i saw an article somewhere of a 1TB card recently

Looking forward to more info and a proper look at the games, especially this "new" Mario Kart. ;)

I was thinking about Mario Kart this morning. The brief clip we saw was basically Mario Kart 8 with King Boo and two items. With that in mind, I'd almost bet on it being called Mario Kart Switch with 'item-switching' being the twist this time :heh:

Would it be such a bad thing if it did bring over everything from Mario Kart 8, though? We all know it's an amazing game and there's no need to scrap all 48 of those glorious tracks when they could keep building on it :hehe:

Imagine everything from Mario Kart 8 with additional characters, 16 new tracks, 16 retro tracks, improved battle mode and the option for expanding it even further with DLC. They could even add a 'Double-Dash!!' mode or challenges : peace:

80 tracks would be ridiculous :yay:

As hinted it is likely that the Switch is basically a very powerful handheld with a video out option. Is this Nintendo soft exiting the home console market?

As hinted it is likely that the Switch is basically a very powerful handheld with a video out option. Is this Nintendo soft exiting the home console market?

Oh no, are we using Brexit terminology now?

Could this be...Nexit?

No. It's Nintendo making people realise "look, you can play games on the go that don't suck ass"

If this is the Next Brexit, does that mean we'll all vote on it and then totally balls it up?

@Serebii's right though.

I feel like every console generation, you get some genius who mods the home consoles to have a screen attached, to make it portable, and everyone says "that's amazing! I want one"

And Nintendo, (the absolute madmen) actually did it for real.

No. It's Nintendo making people realise "look, you can play games on the go that don't suck ass"

Official word from Serebii: handheld Pokémon games suck ass.

As for charging, it wouldn't surprise me if the end of the charging cable is USB. With a second cable sold separately (so you can leave the dock plugged in). No actual plug socket included.

I still think that there will be a touch-screen, and that it will be very simple to port Android games to it (like the last non-Android Blackberry). It just won't be a focus on the main games, but I'm fairly confident that there will be portable-only touch screen games.

I've been thinking in terms of the rumoured specifications and what they could mean for the Virtual Console...

CPU:

Four ARM Cortex-A57 cores, maximum 2 GHz

L2 cache, 2 MB

64-bit ARMv8

Crypto extension enabled

GPU:

NVIDIA second-generation Maxwell architecture

256 CUDA cores, maximum 1 GHz

1024 FLOPS/cycle

Texture: 16 pixels/cycle

Fill: 14.4 pixels/cycle

Main memory:

Capacity of 4 GB

Bandwidth: 25.6 GB/s

VRAM: shared

System Memory:

Capacity: 32 GB, Maximum transfer rate: 400 MB/s

USB

USB 2.0 and 3.0

Video Output

60 fps, at a maximum of 1920×1080 pixels

Or 30 fps at 3840×2160 pixels

The screen:

6.2" IPS LCD, 1280×720 pixels

Capacitance method, 10-point multi-touch

With those kinds of specs, surely a portable Gamecube VC could now be a reality? :)

I've given up hope on ever seeing it happen on the Wii U now (reluctantly I deleted the empty GC folder on my home screen, replacing it with a TG-16 one) but for the Switch, especially with those triggers it has to happen.

You can already get Android gaming devices which run everything up to Dreamcast :o (presumably they run well? I have no idea) and the Switch seems significantly more powerful than those so I'm definitely going to hold out hope for more powerful games being released on the Virtual Console. :D

Obviously there's the whole space issue but if you can get 512GB SD cards now then... that would at least store a fair amount but speaking of patches and whatnot, perhaps Games like Skyrim won't even get a release until Nintendo are sure that the game is at a stable enough point that it won't be getting any more significant patches for a while, so perhaps you just get what's on the (probably already sizable) game card... or there will be intense compression technology used for such files, I have no idea ::shrug: but it will surely be interesting to find out.

There's so much we don't know yet but at least now we've had a glimpse of the future and at first glance, I rather like it. : peace: