NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Another thing: Rumours prior to today indicated that we had guessed correctly with the hybrid theory but that something completely different was still missing. I see no indication of anything other than the hybrid in this video but has anyone else noticed something?

Another thing: Rumours prior to today indicated that we had guessed correctly with the hybrid theory but that something completely different was still missing. I see no indication of anything other than the hybrid in this video but has anyone else noticed something?

No toaster

While the Nintendo Switch is designed for play both in the home and on the go, Nintendo wants to be clear that it’s a home system first.

“Nintendo Switch is a home gaming system first and foremost,” the company told Polygon when asked if the system was going to impact the sale of the 3DS portable systems. “We have made no announcement regarding the future of Nintendo 3DS.

“Obviously with sales of almost 60 million 3DS portables worldwide, there’s still a huge hunger for new games, such as Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon. There are many more games in the pipeline.”

While the answer seems to be Nintendo equivocating a bit in terms of the lifespan of the 3DS, it’s pretty easy to interpret the plans for the Wii U.

“Nintendo Switch is a home gaming system first and foremost”

“We have nothing to announce about the production status of Wii U,” Nintendo said in response to our request. “We announced in April 2016 that as we prepare for the launch of Nintendo Switch in March of 2017, Nintendo will ship 800,000 Wii U hardware units to the global market for this fiscal year. As a result, the inventory of Wii U hardware at retail will become harder to find.

“We encourage anyone who wants Wii U to communicate with their preferred retail outlet to monitor availability.”

The Nintendo Switch was unveiled this morning in a video that showed the console’s transformable controller and ability to travel for on-the-go gaming

http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/20/13347910/nintendo-switch-home-gaming-system

New handheld on the way then?

Good pr talk

Edited by Ashley
fixed the link

Feels like they don't want to close the door on the DS line on the off-chance Switch bombs. The system will probably be marketed according to the region. Can see the portable aspect being pushed hard in Japan for example.

I think the 3DS can happily live alongside it for a year or so as it has the long lasting GBA appeal to it unlike the Wii U which has very clearly been pushed out the door (understandably). I think after a few more big hitters next year, the 3DS will slowly fizzle out naturally with a few more 'Nintendo Selects' or whatever to see it out nicely.

As for a new Nintendo handheld? After seeing this reveal I'm thinking similar to Serebii, probably a cheaper model a bit later on without the home dock.

Very irrelevant and might have been said already, but has anyone else noticed that the switch logo sort of looks like the yin yang symbol?

Don't think kit's been mentioned but a good observation. I quite like the branding so far - I just hate the 'Joy Con'. Cant understand it at all. Sounds like a fucking dildo.

Don't think kit's been mentioned but a good observation. I quite like the branding so far - I just hate the 'Joy Con'. Cant understand it at all. Sounds like a fucking dildo.

I can't see them seriously using that terminology when it releases. It'll just be referred to as a detachable controller or something. You can't market it to adults or put out a good trailer that they've done featuring adults and then refer to it as a joy-con.

If they do a handheld only version, I expect it to be smaller (4.5" or something), and there to be a dock on sale for it.

They have to have a smaller entry level one else that's going to seriously dent Pokémon

Yeah the Joy Con name is terrible but forgiveable considering they did everything else in this reveal so well. In fact, it's not just the name I hate about the Joy Con, it's the thing itself, as using them seperately in multiplayer looks more sinful than holding a Wiimote sideways for Smash Bros. I accept that it's more of an optional extra than a proper way to play multiplayer though so I can let it slide :p Hopefully they push the normal controller setup/Pro Controller in adverts though as someone on our Instragram already said they're not sure because of the horrible looking controllers so it doesn't bode well for first impressions.

Yeah the Joy Con name is terrible but forgiveable considering they did everything else in this reveal so well. In fact, it's not just the name I hate about the Joy Con, it's the thing itself, as using them seperately in multiplayer looks more sinful than holding a Wiimote sideways for Smash Bros. I accept that it's more of an optional extra than a proper way to play multiplayer though so I can let it slide :p Hopefully they push the normal controller setup/Pro Controller in adverts though as someone on our Instragram already said they like it apart from the horrible looking controllers so it doesn't bode well for first impressions.

There was a Pro Controller type of thing in the trailer, too. So, if you wanted multiplayer gaming, there's that to rely on and not those Joy...detachable controllers.

Couldn't care less, was just having a joke with @Serebii :heh:

Will be nice to see how Game Freak make use of the extra horsepower though, no reason Gen 8 couldn't look like No No Kuni, or even better!

There's a very big reason why it couldn't be. And that reason is Game Freak.

They're not exactly the most tech-savvy developers.

Also, I'm the guy who wants Pokemon to stay portable because I actually play it on the go. Don't pretend I don't exist.

So is this focus on Skyrim another case of Batman: Arkham City with the WiiU?

Who does it appeal to?

So is this focus on Skyrim another case of Batman: Arkham City with the WiiU?

Who does it appeal to?

Skyrim Remastered is coming out soon.

Let's not give in to hyperbole.

Skyrim Remastered is coming out soon.

Let's not give in to hyperbole.

The remaster is out next week. Friday, I think.

When the Switch comes out, the remaster will already be 5 months out of date.

I'm curious as to what will happen with Pokemon too. Those images were very interesting though, I had no idea the models looked so nice in the 3DS games until Serebii pointed out the 1080p versions, it really goes to show how awful the 3DS screens are :p

I think the core handheld games could still work fine on the tv with better textures. The main thing to improve would just be the overworld. It wouldn't need to be anything dramatic, just make it look a lot nicer - I loved Tokyo Mirage recently and the overworld in that is as rigid/enclosed as Pokemon but still felt fine on the big screen so it can definitely fit.

In regards to Skyrim, I had similar 'this is the Wii U all over again' fears. I think the main thing to remember here is that it's Skyrim on the go that's the big draw.

Yeah but this will be portable :p

Yeah but this will be portable :p

Yeah and the Wii U version of Batman you could use a touch screen.

But that's just timing. Bethesda clearly want to test the waters first. I would assume they would take the difference in release dates into account.

There still would be no reason why a title like skyrim couldn't sell decent numbers on the Nintendo switch.

The only way third parties will stay on board and get new releases is by us buying third party games.

NBA2k bombed hard on the Wii u and they are back releasing another version. Again it's up to us to buy games like this or the third parties will run for the hills.

On another point why is the dpad so small. It's miniscule.

Apparently the controller has analogue triggers as well as analogue sticks? Literally no reason not to include Gamecube VC now!

Yeah the Joy Con name is terrible but forgiveable considering they did everything else in this reveal so well. In fact, it's not just the name I hate about the Joy Con, it's the thing itself, as using them seperately in multiplayer looks more sinful than holding a Wiimote sideways for Smash Bros. I accept that it's more of an optional extra than a proper way to play multiplayer though so I can let it slide :p Hopefully they push the normal controller setup/Pro Controller in adverts though as someone on our Instragram already said they're not sure because of the horrible looking controllers so it doesn't bode well for first impressions.

Whilst I agree a sideways wiimote isn't my control of choice for Smash - a bad workman always blames his tools. I'm not as up to scratch as Marcamillian who actually will take it often if he can get it, but I do try to ensure I can still kick a reasonable level of ass with any Smash control method. Been a delight shaming a few folks who judged the sideways wiimote ;)

On point - why Joy Cons? Why not NinCons, D-Cons, NintenCons? ConCons? CanCans?? Literally anything but Joy Con. I was, as I said, rather impressed with the reveal but as ever this is Nintendo putting some stupid fucking idea before sense - one that I genuinely could damage its image too(as Flink kinda relates above).

Apparently the controller has analogue triggers as well as analogue sticks? Literally no reason not to include Gamecube VC now!

Standard. Has to be in.

But that's just timing. Bethesda clearly want to test the waters first. I would assume they would take the difference in release dates into account.

There still would be no reason why a title like skyrim couldn't sell decent numbers on the Nintendo switch.

The only way third parties will stay on board and get new releases is by us buying third party games.

NBA2k bombed hard on the Wii u and they are back releasing another version. Again it's up to us to buy games like this or the third parties will run for the hills.

It could actually be even harder this time as Nintendo teams will be able to release more games, a lot more games, plus the third parties which supported the 3DS.

What are we supposed to do, we can't buy all the games.

The sports games should do well, but they have to come on time and as full games, otherwise most people will get them for PC for a lot less money.

Some other games could do well, but they have to come early on and still, I think there could be problems because of large Nintendo output.

It could actually be even harder this time as Nintendo teams will be able to release more games, a lot more games, plus the third parties which supported the 3DS.

What are we supposed to do, we can't buy all the games.

The sports games should do well, but they have to come on time and as full games, otherwise most people will get them for PC for a lot less money.

Some other games could do well, but they have to come early on and still, I think there could be problems because of large Nintendo output.

But there should be a big enough install base to suit all needs. Not everyone needs to buy the same games. Can't use the excuse of Nintendo software means third party games can't sell.