NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

I reckon if Nintendo implements Pokemon Go on the Switch in an intelligent way by the summer, Switch will sell like camels in the desert.

How cool is this: CvPvc6SWAAEHKiI.jpg:large

It's cool, but not as good as it could be imo. These should have the actual button layouts of the console they come from - then it's something I really want to buy as opposed to just color schemes of what we already have.

It's cool' date=' but not as good as it could be imo. These should have the actual button layouts of the console they come from - then it's something I really want to buy as opposed to just color schemes of what we already have.[/quote']

Exactly, I like the designs but unless we get a Joy-Con which has a proper d-pad then things like Virtual Console games on the go will be rendered virtually unplayable, there's no way I'm playing a precision 2D platformer with an analogue stick or seperate buttons for movement. :shakehead

On the big screen, fine as I can use the Pro Controller, as a handheld though I can't see myself using it in standalone form with the controls attached until there's confirmation that we get an optional Joy-Con with that classic Nintendo d-pad, it's just common sense. ::shrug:

Let's face it, the Switch controller alone is quite an ugly controller. None of those concepts look particularly appealing.

Let's face it, the Switch controller alone is quite an ugly controller. None of those concepts look particularly appealing.

The only one I'm really warming to is the Pro Controller at the moment, because it has a proper D-Pad and looks like a "best of" pad made up of the Wii U Pro controller, Xbox one layout and sticks with triggers which remind me of the PS4's DS4.

Overall though yeah, the Pro Controller lacks that traditional Nintendo style but then perhaps that's what they're aiming for with it? Just giving gamers what they want with the more traditional controller, then doing their own thing with the unit as a portable.

All I'm saying though it that it would be good to have the option of a Joy-Con with a D-pad instead of the awkward compromise which is those buttons, aside from that I'm happy enough with it conceptually although once you detach the Joy-Cons they do look tiny... I imagine that's what it would be like if you could detach the controls say from a New 3DS though and have the machine just set on a desk in front of you.

Hopefully we'll see more details and updated controller options in the future. : peace:

Let's face it, the Switch controller alone is quite an ugly controller.

You what?

CvOKViAXEAAy9LO.jpg

Edited by Ashley

You what?

CvOKViAXEAAy9LO.jpg

No no no... I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Yeah the lack of a D-pad is concerning. We've had D-Pads since the NES. You shouldn't have to buy a Pro Controller.

What's the major difference between this D-pad and the PlayStation style "D-pad" in terms of core functionality?

What's the major difference between this D-pad and the PlayStation style "D-pad" in terms of core functionality?
D-Pads.jpg

I don't know for sure, but with the PlayStation D-Pad you can at least roll around it with your thumb and the buttons lean into one another.

This is just 4 solid buttons like ABXY right?

D-Pads.jpg

I don't know for sure, but with the PlayStation D-Pad you can at least roll around it with your thumb and the buttons lean into one another.

Yep, that's what it looks like.

The traditional D-Pad is the sole reason I'm considering getting a Switch Pro Controller, I never even got the WiiU one!

D-Pads.jpg

I felt like the Switch 'D-Pad' was more akin to the Dualshock D-pad type - I'm kind of pretty sure Nintendo won't just release them as simple buttons.

I usually judge a d-pad by how well I cope with a Street Fighter - and the Gamecube's was the worst for being so small.

Miiverse was such a clever idea and a far greater innovation than the Gamepad/asynchronous multiplayer. I'd love to see it return for Switch, maybe reworked a bit.

No, just freaking no. I don't want another bloated OS. Ocarina of Time could run on 4MB of RAM and 96MHz. A PC with Windows 95 with a web browser, a music player, Microsoft Office and a damn game at 8MB/100MHz. A damn menu showing what games you have, whether your friends are online, a few buttons and basic stats like battery charge should NOT need to gobble up a fucking gigabyte of my console's power, which was the case with the Wii U.

I hope that Nintendo super streamline the OS. It should take no longer than 10 seconds from pressing the power button to being on the start screen of the game you wanna play.

Also, Miis are part of the Wii legacy, which I hope Nintendo want to drop like a bad habbit. I don't want Nintendo to take beloved franchises and defile the art style so that Miis fit in, like they did with Pilotwings and Nintendoland. Nor do I want to se these ugly bastards stick out like a sore thumb when I play my favorite Nintendo game online, like with Mario Kart 8.

Reworked for sure, but I doubt Miiverse is gone

Miiverse is so insular; they really need to leverage established social networks. OK, so this weeks video is only a preview but it's one that's aimed squarely at an older audience; it's likely they'll want to move away from their wierd terminology (sure, fans loveit, but the wider audience seems not to). I'm expecting to see an icon for Play Feed, rather than Miiverse. Maybe some of the concepts will carry across but i'd be very surprised if Miiverse returns.

I think Miis are the best things to come out of the Wii era and would be a waste of development to drop, especially with the quality they have in Miitomo.

Also, Miis are part of the Wii legacy, which I hope Nintendo want to drop like a bad habbit. I don't want Nintendo to take beloved franchises and defile the art style so that Miis fit in, like they did with Pilotwings and Nintendoland. Nor do I want to se these ugly bastards stick out like a sore thumb when I play my favorite Nintendo game online, like with Mario Kart 8.

Do you wanna tell me what the Mii's did to you?

They're not going anywhere anytime soon. You're in the minority here. People like playing as their Mii's.

Same with Miiverse. I love being able to easily keep records of little moments in games. My only hope is that they make Miiverse even bigger. Maybe allow short little clips of gameplay to be uploaded, there's quite a few moments where I thought, "If only I could upload this bit in movement"

Wave Race confirmed.

I want a wave race more than I want anything. Let's hope all this extra development time for studios working on one platform gives us these niche games fans have been crying for - wave race, f zero, advance wars, excitebike etc

Miis and miiverse are amazing, they'll both stay. I think people are getting a little carried away with this video, I don't think it's going to be an absolutely brand new Nintendo - it wouldn't suit their games anyway. Family games. Miis, miiverse, it'll all be there.

Do you wanna tell me what the Mii's did to you?

They're not going anywhere anytime soon. You're in the minority here. People like playing as their Mii's.

Same with Miiverse. I love being able to easily keep records of little moments in games. My only hope is that they make Miiverse even bigger. Maybe allow short little clips of gameplay to be uploaded, there's quite a few moments where I thought, "If only I could upload this bit in movement"

Miis symbolise the things Nintendo did during Wii and Wii U to drive the gamers away. I may be in the minority here on this forum (although it would be interresting to see what the statistics say), but I'm definitely not in the minority in terms of the gaming industry as a whole.

The part of Miiverse you're talking about is great. Just drop the Miis and call it Switchverse or Nintendoverse and I'm all for it.

I want a wave race more than I want anything. Let's hope all this extra development time for studios working on one platform gives us these niche games fans have been crying for - wave race, f zero, advance wars, excitebike etc

Oh god, has Advance Wars finally been relegated to that group of "games which we'll probably never seen again"?

Can't believe the 3DS didn't get one.

Oh god, has Advance Wars finally been relegated to that group of "games which we'll probably never seen again"?

Yep. Crazy. Wonder if fire emblems crazy success stopped it from happening and instead made the fe sequels happen. Let's hope for one on the nx. And battalion wars while they're at it.

Whilst Mii was born out of Wii, I don't think they're considered synonymous with one another.

Mii's can continue without anyone associating Switch-Nintendo with the Nintendo of the last two consoles.

I like Mii's.

Tbh Miiverse could replace Animal Crossing in terms of what it could become, but I think fans like the Animal Crossing world too much for that to happen. But an expanded Mii verse Nintendo Land could be nice. Again, doubt it will happen.

More like Advance Was amiright?

*leaves*

Miis and miiverse are amazing, they'll both stay. I think people are getting a little carried away with this video, I don't think it's going to be an absolutely brand new Nintendo - it wouldn't suit their games anyway. Family games. Miis, miiverse, it'll all be there.

Not forgetting 1080. Hopefully no for a nice winter '17 release.

Whilst Mii was born out of Wii, I don't think they're considered synonymous with one another.

Mii's can continue without anyone associating Switch-Nintendo with the Nintendo of the last two consoles.

I like Mii's.

Tbh Miiverse could replace Animal Crossing in terms of what it could become, but I think fans like the Animal Crossing world too much for that to happen. But an expanded Mii verse Nintendo Land could be nice. Again, doubt it will happen.

If it exists, make it optional. Make it a free app in the eshop. Give players the option to turn off Mii support in the OS main menu, so that they get replaced in all games where they're present.

Not forgetting 1080. Hopefully no for a nice winter '17 release.

Waverace

Excitebike (a proper one, like Excitebike 64)

F-Zero

Pilotwings

Nintendo have A LOT of franchises to revive.