NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

With those kinds of specs, surely a portable Gamecube VC could now be a reality? :)

With analogue triggers on the controllers, it would certainly seem a possibility :hehe:

All I want is to be able to play the original Animal Crossing on it but with the bloody NES games being free in it I doubt I'll get it :(

Interesting, Famitsu asked Nintendo about backwards compatibility.

Nintendo replied by saying Wii U game discs and Nintendo 3DS game cards could not be used on the Switch.

It's interesting that they specified the physical media only.

Or they just mentioned the most recent generation and you're reading too much into it...

So Skyrim and NBA 2K17 have been 'unannounced' already... Going to be a long few months.

Oh no, are we using Brexit terminology now?

Could this be...Nexit?

Nexit...NeXit...NX?! IT WAS THERE ALL ALONG!

Anyone got thoughts of slogans? Dunno why but the started popping into my mind yesterday. I can see them going with something like 'Nintendo Switch. Switch back on to gaming' or something like that.

Gonna be very interesting what sort of marketing they go for considering they're saying they won't reveal any more this year and the thing's only out in March. If they mess up the marketing they won't have much if any time to really turn it around or the message - worries me that we might see another WiiU level of communication again.

"Please, please, pretty please Switch from Sony/Microsoft to Nintendo!" :p

But moreso a tag-line of "Don't Switch off", "Make the Switch" or something like that.

Edited by Kav

So Skyrim and NBA 2K17 have been 'unannounced' already... Going to be a long few months.

Yeah, that was funny. Smacks of "Please, please, please buy the PS4/XBone versions!"

Watch, in a few months, "Check it out, here's a Switch version, you can take it on the go now! You should buy it again."

I remember Rockstar doing a similar thing with PC versions of their games. Might be wrong about that though.

So I just been thinking - the dock provides power/charging, right? Does that mean you can ONLY charge the thing on the dock? What if you want to play in bed, or someone else has the TV? If you start to red-light then what, you have to go plug it in and leave it to charge or hope that the TV is free to play then?

What if you take it out and about with you, and you can't save exactly where you are at the time when you stop playing - and then the thing dies? If there's not extra way to charge it outside of the dock I can see some potential issues.

This is cray. There is 100% no chance that this will be the case. Of course you will be able to just plug it in. I charge my iPhone in a dock, doesn't mean I can't also charge it with a USB cable.

Yeah, that was funny. Smacks of "Please, please, please buy the PS4/XBone versions!"

Watch, in a few months, "Check it out, here's a Switch version, you can take it on the go now! You should buy it again."

I remember Rockstar doing a similar thing with PC versions of their games. Might be wrong about that though.

Or it could just be that these games aren't coming to the Switch and were merely proof of capabilities.

This is cray. There is 100% no chance that this will be the case. Of course you will be able to just plug it in. I charge my iPhone in a dock, doesn't mean I can't also charge it with a USB cable.

If anything I imagine you can charge by putting it in the dock or connecting the unit to a charger...but the two units will have different plus adaptors. Yes, I'm looking at you Wii U *glares*

But moreso a tag-line of "Don't Switch off", "Make the Switch" or something like that.

I'd put good money on that being the tagline for advertisements

Absolutely - but I'm just playing skeptical given how hard Nintendo sometimes go down the route for a decision. If they're insisting this is a home console first, I can totally see them not aiming for it to be necessarily too easily chargeable out of the dock. I agree with others who've mentioned it possibly being USB - I think it certainly SHOULD be USB but again; it IS Nintendo.

I want to be leaf, but I've just seen too many irksome decisions/approaches from them in the last gen or two. I can't help trying to just not get my hopes up, lest they be dashed later.

Absolutely - but I'm just playing skeptical given how hard Nintendo sometimes go down the route for a decision. If they're insisting this is a home console first, I can totally see them not aiming for it to be necessarily too easily chargeable out of the dock. I agree with others who've mentioned it possibly being USB - I think it certainly SHOULD be USB but again; it IS Nintendo.

I want to be leaf, but I've just seen too many irksome decisions/approaches from them in the last gen or two. I can't help trying to just not get my hopes up, lest they be dashed later.

They are saying it's a home console, because it's the replacement for the Wii U as opposed to the next in the DS line. But they are also saying, "you can leave the dock at home and travel with this, you can take it to a friend's house, take it to the park, you can take it on a plane and use it on a long haul flight". They wouldn't approach it like that if you needed to take the dock with you when the battery ran out.

I'd put good money on that being the tagline for advertisements

I'm putting money on "Cut me a Switch, someone's getting a whoopin'"

You could make something cheesy about it switching between a home console and a handheld. Switch it up! Or something. Could reference how the console can be transformed by taking off the joy-cons.

You could make something cheesy about it switching between a home console and a handheld. Switch it up! Or something. Could reference how the console can be transformed by taking off the joy-cons.

Can't tell if joking or not realising that's the actual point of the name.

Can't tell if joking or not realising that's the actual point of the name.

Neither. Try "making it obvious what the console is/does through its name, tag-line and marketing".

The worlds gone mad. Not only am I defending Nintendo against people but championing this new machine. I'm so fucking in.

Also, don't care if it doesn't have party chat.

I've never agreed with you more strongly on anything @Daft :) It's like nobody dares get excited anymore.

I'm not used to seeing such positivity here.

I'm scared :p

Very weird!

I realised Nintendo had nailed it when halfway through the video I noticed I had a big smile on my face.

I can see now why Nintendo kept this quiet, especially until Sony & Microsoft made their announcements as this is a game changer. Who is going to release a "sit under the tv console" anymore after this?

What I can't quite get my around is how have they made a console that fits in a tablet? The Wii is about as small a console as I've seen and that's still a lot bigger even without a screen. I get that there is no optical drive and but even so consoles are generally the size they are for a reason, that's how big they need to be to fit everything in.

With regard to games that have DLC I would imagine they would need to put the game on a much bigger capacity card to allow for this as I can't see there being enough storage in the screen for this. Or there may be an additional SD card slot where you can save all this data, in fact that makes the most sense. They could almost package an SD with the game for this and you would swap them out like game cartridges.

I can see now why Nintendo kept this quiet, especially until Sony & Microsoft made their announcements as this is a game changer. Who is going to release a "sit under the tv console" anymore after this?

This could never be my sole console.

I love the form factor but I'm very aware of the knock it will take in terms of power. And while that isn't inherently a problem, I do like a bit of ummff under the hood.

This will sit very happily by my PS4 Pro.

I am ever so slightly disappointed that the cradle doesn't have some kind of upscaling magic to help with the increased screen size (This clearly isn't built for my 55" 4K TV). But I don't really know how possible that is so I'm just going to accept it for what it is.

(On a side note, how quickly do you think either Sony or Microsoft could actually react to this? I always thought the PS Vita should have a TV Out. Sony really missed a trick...because this is what I wanted from that machine. And games. Some actual games on the Vita.)

I don't see this as changing the way everybody is going to play games forever. I still think the console under the tv is going to exist and be a big attraction for many. People want to be able to play with top of the line technology and movie-style graphics, visuals and sound. On top of that, consoles do offer a lot more than that outside of gaming, with bluray and streaming capabilities, etc.

But, what I do think it will do is cement Nintendo's position in the market. They may not be the "main" choice, but they will provide a very attractive alternative option. Maybe the way forward is to have a Switch + either a gaming PC, PS4 or XboxOne? This will be significantly more powerful than the 3DS, so I see it as a better alternative than that. You could easily market this as something that could sit alongside a console you already own, rather than replacing it. It basically ticks all of the right boxes for Nintendo because they obviously care about portability, so this has that. But, it also has that presence in the living room, it's powerful technology and can be used in a variety of different ways.

The worlds gone mad. Not only am I defending Nintendo against people but championing this new machine. I'm so fucking in.

Also, don't care if it doesn't have party chat.

Hellayeah! I'm with you! :cool:

Seriously though, this truely sounds like music to my ears. I'm completely on board with this concept and was hoping the initial rumours checked out, which they did. I was worried about the name they would give it (not Nintendo's forte) and if the reveal would resonate. First impressions were key, especially with Nintendo not being on the good side of many a gamer, myself included... but by the Gaming Gods, I think they delivered on both accounts.

Enough to not mind the name Joy-Con. Which is telling. ;)

The reveal was spot on, and the name, while not a revolution (Hah!), is nice, representative of the concept and for the first time in 10 years, it's grammaticaly correct.

Still think they should have called the Wii the Nintendo Go, having an active element representing the motion controls and it being the fifth Nintendo console, since Go means 5 in Japanese.

How is everybody feeling about the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller?

h2nep7v8huvyxon4qwya.png

Personally, I thought it looked hideous when I first saw it and I still haven't exactly warmed to it :hmm:

Presumably this will be the standard controller for everyone to use in multiplayer but it brings up a slight issue for me again in having multiple controllers for the system. Obviously this won't be quite as much of an issue as it is with Wii U as there's unlikely to be the same compatibility issues where some controllers work with some games and don't with others.

However, I wish they could have completely nailed the design of the Joycon controllers in their shell, as seen below.

switch_1476973763118.jpeg

The lack of D-Pad is my only real issue here but even with that, I think I would rather have this as the controller you walk into a shop and buy off the shelf for multiplayer without the need for yet another 'pro' alternative. In fact, if the Joycon L & R have some kind of motion control (which I actually do hope is the case) then this will become an issue on which controllers you should buy.

I'm sure size may be an issue for some of you, though, but as I have small hands I don't think it will be a problem for me other than the position of the right analogue stick not looking to be particularly comfortable to reach when attached the the screen.. but perhaps it'll feel great in practice!

How is everybody feeling about the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller?

I know I'm normally the first guy to be all about New control methods, but the Pro Switch is more appealing to me at the mo. It's the separated D-Pad on the Joy-con. I'm not big on the separated D-Pad.

Of course, early days still.