NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

On the JoyCon controversy! You do realise most of you (as adults) use a 'Play' station! Quite literally the creepiest sounding thing out there!

I guess the fear is they release Skyrim to "test the waters" and it sells terribly because it's an old game, and then don't support it again. Which is what happened with wii u

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about the rediculously small controllers. They're gimmicky Gameboy Micro small and also have reduced functionality at the loss of the shoulder buttons - will drastically limit what games you can use them for in multiplayer surely...

Also whilst the wiimote nunchuck combo was ergonomically friendly, these look a bit flat and flimsy.

They need Will Smith backing this... "SWITCH..."

Oh shit that would be amazing

Did you guys miss my post at 3:07pm? :p

Looks pretty good!

And looks like Eurogamer got it all right!

But there should be a big enough install base to suit all needs. Not everyone needs to buy the same games. Can't use the excuse of Nintendo software means third party games can't sell.

I know, but if the output is huge, and there was the rumour about really big number of games in the first year.

OK, FIFA, PES, NBA, MADDEN, Call Of Duty, Battlefield, GTA, Fallout and simmilar games should sell well, I do agree with that.

I don't think the Skyrim remaster is going to do exceptional numbers on any console, but it's clearly Bethesda testing the waters as liger said. I was going to get the Skyrim remaster on PS4 this year but I'm now prepared to wait and get it on Switch, I think there will be a few of us doing that and there are also the Nintendo only gamers who might be interested in another open world adventure after playing through Zelda. I don't think it's going to sell a tonne but I think it will be among the top 10 or 20 Switch games for quite a while and if Nintendo can show publishers like Bethesda that their games can have staying power then things are only going to get better.

I think publishers will be expecting to sell less with a system launching in March than they were with the Wii U launching in November so although we might get ports of things like FIFA 17 and Skyrim 5 or 6 months later than on the PS4 and Xbox One it's quite likely that we'll be getting next years entries day and date with the other systems. Its going to be interesting to see how things pan out, as Kounan says Nintendo's increased output might make things tougher for the other publishers but if the Switch is a success then the software sales relative to Nintendo's will likely still be a pretty big number. EA, Bethesda, Square are probably looking to break 1 million or so on Switch and I think it's definitely an achievable target if the marketing for the system is up to scratch.

But that's just timing. Bethesda clearly want to test the waters first. I would assume they would take the difference in release dates into account.

To assume is to make an ass out of you and me. Testing the waters is fine and it's better for Bethesda to include the game than not at all.

But...the game will have been out for 5 months on other systems by the time it releases on Switch. Actually, it's worse than the Arkham City scenario because this is a remaster of a game from last gen. I question whether it's the right game to focus on in such an important trailer. Imo, it needed to be something that would be new for the time, something that will still be fresh on release.

There still would be no reason why a title like skyrim couldn't sell decent numbers on the Nintendo switch.

The only way third parties will stay on board and get new releases is by us buying third party games.

NBA2k bombed hard on the Wii u and they are back releasing another version. Again it's up to us to buy games like this or the third parties will run for the hills.

On another point why is the dpad so small. It's miniscule.

The only way third parties will get gamers to buy their products is if they respect their audience. Sure, add Skyrim. But you're wrong when you say there's not a reason why it may not sell, because there will already be multiple systems out there that have a 5 month head start on this version. That will surely impact sales. Testing the waters using Skyrim is setting everyone up for a fall.

It's definitely a two-way street. Gamers want good value for money and the latest releases. Will the next Red Dead game appear, for example? GTA? Will the latest FIFA, and the next one, and the one after that?

I know, but if the output is huge, and there was the rumour about really big number of games in the first year.

OK, FIFA, PES, NBA, MADDEN, Call Of Duty, Battlefield, GTA, Fallout and simmilar games should sell well, I do agree with that.

Yeah and that was the issue with the Wii U those big third party franchises still bombed.

Maybe I'm being too optimistic but I look at launch periods as good times to release games so it should give skyrim its best chance of selling even though it will be 5 months old.

The only way third parties will get gamers will buy their products is if they respect their audience. Sure, add Skyrim. But you're wrong when you say there's not a reason why it may not sell, because there will already be multiple systems out there that have a 5 month head start on this version. That will surely impact sales. Testing the waters using Skyrim is setting everyone up for a fall.

I get that I really do and in normal circumstances I don't think you would see a game released later but the NX is out until march so they have no choice. It's a decent game for Bethesda to test the waters with the Nintendo audience. Would it need to do gangbusters considering the circumstances ? Probably not but it just can't bomb like we saw with Wii u titles.

Edited by liger05

Apparently the controller has analogue triggers as well as analogue sticks? Literally no reason not to include Gamecube VC now!

Where you hear this?

What are you basing that on?

The Wii U's total failure might actually be a good thing when it comes to a publishers perception of success. With the Wii U they went in expecting their titles to sell as well as they had on the Wii, but the Wii U having failed so spectacularly publishers will have lower estimates for number of software units sold so might be prepared to give the Switch a wider berth and try it for a few years rather than just one holiday season.

What are you basing that on?

Because there are no more football or basketball games, no more shooters which are so popular, so if that doesn't sell well what will and you can't really find an excuse for that.

The Nintendo Switch home gaming system will "absolutely" support amiibo for compatible Nintendo Switch games, Nintendo has confirmed to IGN.

"If a Nintendo Switch game supports amiibo then the Nintendo Switch home gaming system will as well," a Nintendo representative told IGN.

Nintendo also clarified a couple more features of its newly unveiled Nintendo Switch console, including the function of the Nintendo Switch Dock seen in its announcement trailer, which you can watch below.

"The Nintendo Switch Dock has been created so that it is extremely easy to seamlessly switch from playing games on a TV to transition into a portable mode," a Nintendo representative told IGN.

Nintendo continued: "The dock is not the main console unit of Nintendo Switch. The main unit of Nintendo Switch is the unit that has the LCD screen, which the two Joy-Con controllers can be attached to and detached from. The main function of the Nintendo Switch Dock is to provide an output to the TV, as well as charging and providing power to the system."

According to Nintendo, the Joy-Con controllers — named Joy-Con L and Joy-Con R — will be included alongside the Nintendo Switch system.

When asked if the Nintendo Switch will have touchscreen support, Nintendo declined to comment.

"We will make additional announcements about the Nintendo Switch hardware later, before the launch of the product," Nintendo told IGN.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/10/20/nintendo-confirms-amiibo-support-for-nintendo-switch-clarifies-additional-features

The dock shouldn't really add much extra cost to the system so price will be interesting. £249

Edited by liger05

I'm late to the party but...

DAY. FUCKING. ONE. SON.

I should have had more faith in Nintendo. Didn't think they had the edge or energy to create something that could have such a wide appeal. Faith is restoring.

The unclipping of the side pads did seem a bit clunky and not as fluid when being removed but still, well played Nintendo.

Concept looks good and interesting.

It's all in the execution. Something for me personally Nintendo haven't got right in two generations.

I'm late to the party but...

DAY. FUCKING. ONE. SON.

I should have had more faith in Nintendo. Didn't think they had the edge or energy to create something that could have such a wide appeal. Faith is restoring.

The unclipping of the side pads did seem a bit clunky and not as fluid when being removed but still, well played Nintendo.

Why really pleased me was the trailer. Very well put together and liked that it was all young adults. For first reveal they nailed it.

Edited by liger05

I like that all of the parts of it are matte. It'll be interesting to see the breakdown of the processor - Nvidia mentions it's a custom Tegra processor so hopefully it's the more powerful variation that DF theorised when the Eurogamer leak happened.

I called the N64 matte grey look!

Why really pleased me was the trailer. Very well put together and liked that it was all young adults. For real fun first reveal they nailed it.

For real. It's like their read my mind with the sort of target market they displayed and can see how this can truly appeal to the core and casual.

On reflection that was a brilliant tease and the concept seems perfect. But it's Nintendo so expecting something to make us all groan when more info comes out.

And FFS! Can everybody stop going on about the bloody controller name. Who cares what they are called. Yespecially they look a bit small and fiddly when just detached on their own but I can't see this method being used much at all, you'd just take the bridge with you.

I'm not used to seeing such positivity here.

You called?

swgstrt.gif

Anyway, I'm pleasantly surprised. It's not the device I was hoping to see but it's something that could do very well.

I wanted a dedicated home console without the screeny-thingy and only that incredible looking Switch Pro Controller (or whatever it's called). But that was just my dream console from Nintendo.

I'll definitely get this but most likely way down the line, maybe in 1 1/2 or two years. Unless I have a lot of money to spare and the price is really good.

What's with the silence in regard to whether it's touch screen? They got some kind of surprise?

What's with the silence in regard to whether it's touch screen? They got some kind of surprise?

Maybe.

But the stuff from Laura Dale & Emily Rogers indicates it is a touch screen, and they got everything right thus far so no reason to doubt it'll be touch screen

I'm not used to seeing such positivity here.

I'm scared :p

Big hug to you and @Ronnie

#teampositive

I'm backing this beauty with full force - dat NX BotW experience tho!:love:

"We will make additional announcements about the Nintendo Switch hardware later, before the launch of the product," Nintendo told IGN.

Good thinking!