NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Regarding the Pokémon thing... If it's true, that's a dick move by the leakers.

That's a dick move from TPC period. Unbelievable that they're planning on putting out a superior 3rd version in such a short timeframe. And right after Xmas too. All those 3DS' they're gonna sell over Xmas? Oh, little Timmy wants to buy Pokemon Stars after he just got his shiny new 3DS? Nah mate, you've gotta now spend £250 for a Switch and a copy of the game. Too bad mate.

That's a dick move from TPC period. Unbelievable that they're planning on putting out a superior 3rd version in such a short timeframe. And right after Xmas too. All those 3DS' they're gonna sell over Xmas? Oh, little Timmy wants to buy Pokemon Stars after he just got his shiny new 3DS? Nah mate, you've gotta now spend £250 for a Switch and a copy of the game. Too bad mate.

It's not right after Christmas. Pokémon stars won't be out on switch till back end of 2017. It's way off

With that logic you should never buy a console in the final year or so of its life span. Besides, they won't sell that many new 3DS' over Xmas, it's hardly a new console.

If this Pokemon Stars game is happening, I'd expect it no earlier than this time next year. Just in time for a massive Christmas 2017 Switch push.

Everyone who buys Sun and Moon now will have plenty of time to enjoy it on a brand new or previously purchased 3DS. Plus the plethora of other great software available on the system over the last few years.

Sun and Moon look like they're about to burst out of the technical limitations of the 3DS. The next mainline game being on Switch is an awesome thing indeed.

This is a good move from Nintendo. They are clearly looking to shift as many switch consoles in year 1 which is the right move. The switch needs to have a strong start and build from there.

The no news until January I think they have realized was a mistake. People are hungry for news so while no new hardware news the software leaks are very encouraging.

Edited by liger05

Is that Rabbids series actually any good? I always had the impression it was pretty crap, but caught on in the first Wii "game drought".

It's not right after Christmas. Pokémon stars won't be out on switch till back end of 2017. It's way off

From what I've heard (and this came from the same source that told me about the Rabbids/Mario RPG prior to today's reveal), Pokemon Stars (known back then as Pokemon Rainbow - hence my confusion earlier) was planned for release as a day 1 Switch title. Now that might have changed, but that's not the point. The point is that it was or still is planned to release within a year of Sun/Moon's release and it shows that they are purposely cutting out content so that they can sell it to us as a full price game again later on, as it is the only way that they could get out a 3rd version (on an entirely new platform no less!) in such a short timeframe. It's not the same situation as previous 3rd version releases, which were released several years after their initial release and were substantial expansions that clearly had a lot of time and effort out into them. This crap they're trying to pull here is no better than what Capcom pulled with Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3; which they rightfully got their testicles grilled over a toasty fire for.

Quite frankly, I think this move is incredibly disrespectful to us as consumers. It's not even the fact that a Switch version is coming that pisses me off (I'm planning on buying a Switch anyway), it's the deceitful way that The Pokemon Company (TPC) is carrying this out that pisses me right off. If they were upfront about the Switch version coming along, like Nintendo were with Zelda Breath of the Wild, I'd be absolutely fine with it; hell, I'd probably buy both versions!

But no, they tried to pull a fast one on me, so instead, they get nothing. Fuck 'em! I'd expect this kind of shit from EA or Activision, not from a series so closely associated with Nintendo! Quite frankly, we deserve better treatment than this!

And it's something that has been systematic of TPC for a while now. This is just the next in a disturbingly lengthy streak of deceptive and manipulative tactics from TPC in the last few years, with their F2P scam games like Pokemon Rumble World and Pokemon Shuffle, to their dodgy TCG online game, to their Skinner Box esc Pokemon Go and their disgusting gen wunner pandering, to the detriment of the games themselves over the last few years. I don't like the path that the series and franchise is going down one bit.

I'm very very tempted to just skip Gen 7 altogether now. TPC feels like a cancerous arm that needs to be exorcised from Nintendo and the Pokemon series at this point and unless things change, I can't support this crap. People shouldn't be manipulated and deceived like this. It's not right.

Edited by Dcubed

Is that Rabbids series actually any good? I always had the impression it was pretty crap, but caught on in the first Wii "game drought".

Rabbids Go Home was one of my favourite games on the Wii. Essentially an action adventure game with an amusing premise, very good music and geniunely funny moments. The controls were really tight and the gameplay was challenging. Incidently, I never played the mini-game collection that launched with the system, but I've heard / read it's not any good. If Rabbids Go Home is anything to go by, then this game could be surprisingly good.

Were people going this mental when Pokemon Yellow was released? Christ.

The Pokemon Company has always pimped its games and dangled that carrot in our faces - whats different with Stars?

Grown men boycotting a Pokémon game because they're releasing a 3rd version in a years time... I just don't know what to think... I'm reading everything, yet I still can't see what exactly is wrong with this. For dcubed it seems to be that Nintendo haven't explicitly come out and said? Is that right? Well you know, so you still get to make an informed decision. I think this is the. Set thing they could do with the series personally.

Were people going this mental when Pokemon Yellow was released? Christ.

The Pokemon Company has always pimped its games and dangled that carrot in our faces - whats different with Stars?

Pokemon Yellow didn't come out 4 months after Red/Blue on an entirely different console...

Pokemon Yellow didn't come out 4 months after Red/Blue on an entirely different console...

Why does it matter it's on a different console? It's a good

Thing isn't it, could appeal to new gamers who don't have 3ds but have a switch, and also offers a bigger upgrade for people who have already played through sun/moon.

In fairness its coming out sometime next year. There could be a year between it like there was Gold/Silver and Crystal.

Different console is new, yes, but in twelve months time Switch might well be Nintendo's primary console. They've made vague statements about continuing 3DS support, but it could be a way of not rocking the boat and tempering expectations. (and thus the Switch being the main console it forced TPC's hand is what I was getting at there but that's not clear)

We also know nothing about the game, it could be substantially different. There's no way of knowing that a quick turnaround means cut content, it could be down to a number of things - easier production, more familiar architecture, existing assets (didn't someone here post that actually the current 3D models are HD anyway?), they could have been working on this alongside Sun/Moon...

Maybe I'm just cynical (spoilers: totally am), but I've never understood this "Nintendo (and by extension TPC) is nicer than other companies and would never be as jaded and corrupt as EA et al". Yeah, they are nicer but they're a business. This decision is brought to you by the people that make you pay for the same VC games every few years, that charge you more for those VC games on New Nintendo 3DS, by the people that made you buy an accessory to upgrade the console to play new games (on several of their consoles and in the case of the New Nintendo 3DS, made you buy a new console outright), the people that were found to be price fixing. They're nicer to their fans than a lot of other companies, but they're a business and they make business decisions. Some of them are shitty to fans and will bite them in the ass. Some of them they get away with.

Edited by Ashley

From what I've heard (and this came from the same source that told me about the Rabbids/Mario RPG prior to today's reveal), Pokemon Stars (known back then as Pokemon Rainbow - hence my confusion earlier) was planned for release as a day 1 Switch title. Now that might have changed, but that's not the point. The point is that it was or still is planned to release within a year of Sun/Moon's release and it shows that they are purposely cutting out content so that they can sell it to us as a full price game again later on, as it is the only way that they could get out a 3rd version (on an entirely new platform no less!) in such a short timeframe. It's not the same situation as previous 3rd version releases, which were released several years after their initial release and were substantial expansions that clearly had a lot of time and effort out into them. This crap they're trying to pull here is no better than what Capcom pulled with Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3; which they rightfully got their testicles grilled over a toasty fire for.

Quite frankly, I think this move is incredibly disrespectful to us as consumers. It's not even the fact that a Switch version is coming that pisses me off (I'm planning on buying a Switch anyway), it's the deceitful way that The Pokemon Company (TPC) is carrying this out that pisses me right off. If they were upfront about the Switch version coming along, like Nintendo were with Zelda Breath of the Wild, I'd be absolutely fine with it; hell, I'd probably buy both versions!

But no, they tried to pull a fast one on me, so instead, they get nothing. Fuck 'em! I'd expect this kind of shit from EA or Activision, not from a series so closely associated with Nintendo! Quite frankly, we deserve better treatment than this!

And it's something that has been systematic of TPC for a while now. This is just the next in a disturbingly lengthy streak of deceptive and manipulative tactics from TPC in the last few years, with their F2P scam games like Pokemon Rumble World and Pokemon Shuffle, to their dodgy TCG online game, to their Skinner Box esc Pokemon Go and their disgusting gen wunner pandering, to the detriment of the games themselves over the last few years. I don't like the path that the series and franchise is going down one bit.

I'm very very tempted to just skip Gen 7 altogether now. TPC feels like a cancerous arm that needs to be exorcised from Nintendo and the Pokemon series at this point and unless things change, I can't support this crap. People shouldn't be manipulated and deceived like this. It's not right.

You know consumers have choice. They can buy the 3DS version and not the switch version or vice versa or just get both.

Not sure where the deception is especially as Nintendo haven't even announced a switch version.

The Rabbids are accomplices in the murder of 'real' 3D Rayman games, and on top of that I am not really into their schtick. However, I see some people really enjoyed Rabbids: Go Home and I have little experience with the Rabbids games. It's just that what I have seen of them annoys me somewhat and to me is a bit childish/simplistic humour.

I just pray every time they distance themselves more and more form the world of Rayman so that we can, someday, once again have a fantastical 3D Rayman adventure.

You know consumers have choice. They can buy the 3DS version and not the switch version or vice versa or just get both.

Not sure where the deception is especially as Nintendo haven't even announced a switch version.

Assuming this rumour is true and there is going to be an improved version on the Switch, it initially feels like a bit of punch to the dick to me and I buy every god damn version of Pokemon. Remakes I don't mind as there's very clearly two projects in the work that are Pokemon related at any given time at Game Freak and remakes don't require the same amount of research as a next generation title for the franchise as the engine is made etc etc.

But a third version coming out that quickly is just bonkers. A third version improves upon the originals and addresses certain shortcomings, it also doesn't look to see how the competitive scene is treating these new titles so they can't tinker with the balancing.

Coming out that quick really does imply they made the conscious decision to sell a lite version of a nearly completed game to just get something out there for a bleak period for the 3DS and bulk out sales.

We'll have to see, this could all be bullshit.

It could also be because they had tons of ideas for Sun / Moon that just didn't fit into the technical limitations of the 3DS and hence decided to make a third version on a console that has a lot more horse power to carry out said ideas? My guess is, though, that we won't hear about this officially before E3.

I see why some are angry but I think it's an overreaction. Sun and Moon have been received very postively, saying they are the best Pokémon-games ever so clearly they didn't skimp on those versions. Putting out a third version next year does not make Sun / Moon worse games, there is just coming a better version next year. Think of it like Fifa, you know a better version of it is coming out next year anyway, maybe even on Scorpio but that doesn't make 17 worse.

Also, Dcubed has a point in Pokémon Company trying to pull a fast one, in some regard.

Surely that's exactly where the deception lies? They planned to release the 3ds version, whilst keeping the fact that a "better" version is coming out so soon after a secret. We only know about it through a leak.

I personally don't care and I'll still be getting Moon, but I can see why people would be pissed.

I've got no issue myself. This happens all the time during generation changes and considering Switch games aren't being announced properly yet I'm not surprised they haven't said anything.

Well, according to the rumour, it will be at least 10 months, as it was pushed back from a summer release.

Well, according to the rumour, it will be at least 10 months, as it was pushed back from a summer release.

10 months, 4 months. It doesn't matter, the sentiment is the same. It was planned from the beginning and TPC are deliberately withholding both content and information about this version so that they can trick people into buying a version that they know will be made redundant within a year. It's no different from what Capcom did with Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3 and it's not a practice I can support.

Anyway! An interesting rumour is circling around GAF that actually spells some good news! Apparently, Switch is using 0.8GB of RAM for the OS and 3.2GB for games! That's great news! It's a much more generous split for the games themselves than I had expected (it gives Switch games over 3 times as much memory to work with than what the Wii U had. For reference, PS4/Xbone have 5GB dedicated to games, Switch supposedly has 3.2GB and the Wii U had 1GB). Given that Switch has the advantage of Game Cards on its side, with their fast read speeds, it should mean that the RAM in place won't pose much of an issue for multiplatform releases! :D

Edited by Dcubed

10 months, 4 months. It doesn't matter, the sentiment is the same. It was planned from the beginning and TPC are deliberately withholding both content and information about this version so that they can trick people into buying a version that they know will be made redundant within a year.

Isn't this always the case? And like others have said, you don't have to buy all, or even any of them.

Also

they can trick people into buying a version that they know will be made redundant within a year.

Isn't this just the Pokemon franchise in a nutshell? Basically do the same thing with less and less iconic and memorable monsters? :awesome:

Isn't that the case for all technology nowadays? Release new version every year with slightly improved specs?

Anyway! An interesting rumour is circling around GAF that actually spells some good news! Apparently, Switch is using 0.8GB of RAM for the OS and 3.2GB for games! That's great news! It's a much more generous split for the games themselves than I had expected (it gives Switch games over 3 times as much memory to work with than what the Wii U had. For reference, PS4/Xbone have 5GB dedicated to games, Switch supposedly has 3.2GB and the Wii U had 1GB). Given that Switch has the advantage of Game Cards on its side, with their fast read speeds, it should mean that the RAM in place won't pose much of an issue for multiplatform releases! :D

What does this mean for things like party chat, miiverse, streaming etc? Bad news? I realise 360 and PS3 had less and had party chat but what could this imply?