NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

These ports are quite frankly, the sensible thing to do. Not only does it give these games a second chance at life, but it's also the only realistic way that they can get a broad number of and a wide variety of games out during such a short timeframe.

They really need to explode out of the gate with Switch and they're basically having to do it on their own (save for three games from 3rd parties that we know are coming any time soon. These being Skyrim Switch, Monster Hunter Cross Generations and Rabbids Meet Mario RPG Boogaloo). How else could they possibly do it?

HD games take too long to make and take up too many resources for them to fill the launch window with anything else. They have no choice but to salvage as much as possible from Wii U (be it ports of released games, or ports of cancelled and upcoming games, like Pikmin 4 and Zelda BOTW).

Hell, it's not even just Nintendo! Just look at the PS4 and Xbone and other 3rd parties. A large chunk of (and in many cases, the majority) of their respective recent outputs comes in the form of ports and re-masters of older games. Why? Simple. Because new games take too long to make, they need to fill their software schedule somehow.

At least here, they're adding new content to each of them so that they're not just straight ports. They've got something new to offer to people, even to people who've played their original versions before.

I don't think anyones arguing their sensible. They are. And with single player games like Xenoblade there is no issue whatsoever. I think the two issues that need addressing are 1. Is there a lot more content outside of these for Wii U players who have played them all; and 6 month old 3rd parties don't count, that's almost the same problem and 2. With the online focussed ports, will you be offering free/cheap upgrades for Wii U owners who have already spent a lot of money on those games?

If the answer yes and yes there is no problem!

Oh yeah, I don't think it guarantees it either, but I think the line up is so good, it'll do well; plus the handed and home console hybrid appealing to different people could be a big factor. Who knows. I mean I think Nintendo have learned a lot, so remain hopeful it'll be a huge step forward on that front - I mean it has a specific share button so it must be doing more than a quick link to miiverse (Expect this line to be require on Jan 12th when Kimishima announces "the new share button, instantly takes you to miiverse!").

Whatever happens I think Switch will do really well. How well depends on how much Nintendo has modernised.

I agree that the Switch will probably do well, at least much better than Wii U ( not hard :p). I mean, being a portable already makes it a success in Japan, at least.

Yeah, that button better be a Miiverse button. I love Miiverse but it can be a bit slow, especially when you are still rocking an original 3DS. :D

I don't think anyones arguing their sensible. They are. And with single player games like Xenoblade there is no issue whatsoever. I think the two issues that need addressing are 1. Is there a lot more content outside of these for Wii U players who have played them all; and 6 month old 3rd parties don't count, that's almost the same problem and 2. With the online focussed ports, will you be offering free/cheap upgrades for Wii U owners who have already spent a lot of money on those games?

If the answer yes and yes there is no problem!

Well with Mario Kart at least, there's some obvious substantial changes (having two items at once is a big deal - and that's not even getting into the rumoured 16 additional tracks and a proper battle mode), so that's a yes. Splatoon? Who knows?

Smash Bros also has some obvious things that would make it a must purchase that they can do quite easily (combining both the 3DS and Wii U versions into one - adding the Ice Climbers and Rayman back in who were both cut from Smash 4 before - add more retro stages), so they're looking good there with this one at least.

I can see them offering discounts for Kart and Splatoon, but I can't see it happening with Smash. I reckon they'll get away with charging full price for that one.

I wonder what they'll do with Xenoblade X though. It's not exactly lacking for content as it is! Is more content even really necessary?

BTW, I just realised that out of the three 3rd party games coming to the Switch that we know about, one is a port of a port (Skyrim), while the other is a port of a port of a port of a port of a port (Monster Hunter Cross Generations). Only Rabbids Meet Mario RPG Boogaloo would actually be new :laughing:

Edited by Dcubed

I agree that the Switch will probably do well, at least much better than Wii U ( not hard :p). I mean, being a portable already makes it a success in Japan, at least.

Yeah, that button better be a Miiverse button. I love Miiverse but it can be a bit slow, especially when you are still rocking an original 3DS. :D

Oh I love miiverse too, but a quick menu for - live streaming, save photo/video, share progress, miiverse would be better :)

Well with Mario Kart at least, there's some obvious substantial changes (having two items at once is a big deal - and that's not even getting into the rumoured 16 additional tracks and a proper battle mode), so that's a yes. Splatoon? Who knows?

Smash Bros also has some obvious things that would make it a must purchase that they can do quite easily (combining both the 3DS and Wii U versions into one - adding the Ice Climbers and Rayman who were both cut from Smash 4 before - add more retro stages), so they're looking good there with this one at least.

I can see them offering discounts for Kart and Splatoon, but I can't see it happening with Smash. I reckon they'll get away with charging full price for that one.

I wonder what they'll do with Xenoblade X though. It's not exactly lacking for content as it is! Is more content even really necessary?

BTW, I just realised that out of the three 3rd party games coming to the Switch that we know about, one is a port of a port (Skyrim), while the other is a port of a port of a port of a port of a port (Monster Hunter Cross Generations). Only Rabbids Meet Mario RPG Boogaloo would actually be new :laughing:

I agree with your thoughts on Smash. Seems like a no brainer to merge the 3DS and Wii U versions into one and offer all the DLC for free in one big package. That game will be bursting with content.

Splatoon I imagine will be filled with new maps and there were rumours of more single player content. I wouldn't be surprised if the single player stuff was planned for release with the Splatoon amiibo but they got held back for the Switch release.

Xenoblade X is a weird one. As you said, the game already has a massive amount of content, so what else could they bring to the table?

Smash Bros also has some obvious things that would make it a must purchase that they can do quite easily (combining both the 3DS and Wii U versions into one - adding the Ice Climbers and Rayman back in who were both cut from Smash 4 before - add more retro stages), so they're looking good there with this one at least.

Agree with all that, I think Splatoon will have lots o new content too - haven't new level, and style options already been confirmed from the video? If they're upgrades give us a cheap upgrade price and it'll be amazing. I'm more than happy to keep playing Mario kart 8, smash, splatoon and Mario maker. As for xenoblade, yeah, that's more because they spent a lot of money on it I'd imagine and for non-wii u owners can't imagine there being a reason to upgrade.

Is Monster Hunter confirmed for switch?

Oh I love miiverse too, but a quick menu for - live streaming, save photo/video, share progress, miiverse would be better :)

I reckon that all that stuff is gonna be integrated into Miiverse itself. So the rumoured "share" button (that is probably the mystery button that we've seen on the controller) probably handles all Miiverse functionality. Seems like a no brainer really. You already have your own built-in, curated and moderated social network that you've spent 5 years building, use it!

Is Monster Hunter confirmed for switch?

Not officially, but Monster Hunter Cross Cross (the Japanese version - yes that's its actual name) is due for release on March 17th, the same day as the rumoured worldwide Switch release date... (plus the totally-obviously-what-they're-going-with-totally-not-just-made-up-by-me-name-for-the-western-version also kinda hints at it too)

Take from that what you will...

Edited by Dcubed

I reckon that all that stuff is gonna be integrated into Miiverse itself. So the rumoured "share" button (that is probably the mystery button that we've seen on the controller) probably handles all Miiverse functionality. Seems like a no brainer really. You already have your own built-in, curated and moderated social network that you've spent 5 years building, use it!

It would just be like Nintendo though to burn it to the ground and start from scratch again. :D

Xenoblade X is a weird one. As you said, the game already has a massive amount of content, so what else could they bring to the table?
An option to mute the music would be a good start. :heh:

An option to mute the music would be a good start. :heh:

Day one purchase right there! :D

Oh, and give the characters normal faces. :p

While I agree the Wii U launch period was very lacking ( Monster Hunter saved it for me ), the point I was trying to make is that Nintendo's own output may not be enough to sway everyone.

If you look at the Wii U line up as it is now, it has a fantastic selection of Nintendo games, some of which are arguably the best in their respective series. Despite this line up people still didn't flock to the system. Granted, the damage was probably already done by the time all these games arrived but it still points at a Nintendo box not being enough to grab everyone's attention. I believe there has to be a number of other things that go right for it, such as strong 3rd party support and a good online setup.

I strongly believe Nintendo still has the craftsmanship to make their games relevant. I would argue the platformer-heavy Nintendo offering on the Wii U wasn't a good example of Nintendo's diverse libraries; no realistic sports (1080, Wave Race etc), no strong racers outside of MK - not even a "real" Mario (yes I will use that term) or a Zelda.

Marketing is also incredibly important in this day - I remember seeing Splatoon youtube adverts which I feel contributed to its great success. Sony and Microsoft dominate the bus posters, billboards and every other outlet for marketing - I can't even remember a Wii U game being advertised on a billboard.

IMO a game like Star Fox should be a launch title, not a game coming out three years later. A game like Paper Mario should be 'mid-gen', not as a swansong.

Im just trying to point out why the Wii U's performance might not be a true reflection on how appealing a Nintendo box/games are.

Looks like another Wii U port is on the way.

[TWEET]801077794922844160[/TWEET]

At this rate, there are going to be so many people trading in their Wii U towards a Switch :eek:

For me, there are too many games that won't be ported, such as Nintendo Land, so there will always be value in keeping it but for many there will be no reason to hold onto the console!

I think the real quality first party Wii U games came far too late in its life to change its fate. Publishers had already jumped ship by the time Wind Waker, Pikmin and 3D World came out in 2013, with barely more games coming out for the system in 2013 than came out in 2012. Having a good first year might not have saved the system but it would definitely have given other publishers reason to support the system with more than a couple of poor quality ports.

I think if the Switch's first year has the titles we've read about, then combined with the low price it has a much better chance of succeeding than the Wii U ever did, and if they sell around 5m units in the first year then publishers will have more cause to support it beyond the first year, so I'm pretty optimistic for it.

I strongly believe Nintendo still has the craftsmanship to make their games relevant. I would argue the platformer-heavy Nintendo offering on the Wii U wasn't a good example of Nintendo's diverse libraries; no realistic sports (1080, Wave Race etc), no strong racers outside of MK - not even a "real" Mario (yes I will use that term) or a Zelda.

I agree with this so much. At the end of the day, I couldn't honestly say anything on Wii U was up there with Wind Waker/Metroid Prime/Mario Sunshine. Like you, I'm not saying this to be negative, only to point out that we haven't recently had a gauge of how genuinely top class Nintendo software can shift consoles.

Looks like another Wii U port is on the way.

[TWEET]801077794922844160[/TWEET]

Take away those horrific loading times and I'll bite.

I think the real quality first party Wii U games came far too late in its life to change its fate. Publishers had already jumped ship by the time Wind Waker, Pikmin and 3D World came out in 2013, with barely more games coming out for the system in 2013 than came out in 2012. Having a good first year might not have saved the system but it would definitely have given other publishers reason to support the system with more than a couple of poor quality ports.

I think if the Switch's first year has the titles we've read about, then combined with the low price it has a much better chance of succeeding than the Wii U ever did, and if they sell around 5m units in the first year then publishers will have more cause to support it beyond the first year, so I'm pretty optimistic for it.

The marketing alone for me should make a big difference. The Wii u marketing was really bad but I think a lot of that was down to the product and marketing guru's had no idea what to sell. Trying to explain to people what the wii u is was hard work.

Edited by liger05

Interest for the Switch at GameStop is looking good.

From Gaf.

After the Wii U underperformed, retailer GameStop appears to be optimistic about Nintendo's Switch console. Speaking during an earnings briefing today, CEO Paul Raines revealed that he played the console and came away impressed.

"The Nintendo Switch, which I played at Nintendo a few weeks ago--we believe could be another game-changer that will expand the audience for gaming," the executive said.

Some related stats:

- 27 percent of GameStop's PowerUp Rewards members are aware of the Switch

- this 27 percent plan to buy it when it releases

- that metric is about equal to how its Rewards members felt about Xbox One prior to its launch

- the percentage could rise higher in in January after Nintendo's event

The company pointed out that this figure could go higher after Nintendo's Switch news event in January. During that event, Nintendo will announce the console's price, specs, and launch lineup.

Interest for the Switch at GameStop is looking good.

From Gaf.

The game changing comments are just pr bluff. They said the same thing about the wii u and look how that turned out.

The reward numbers thing is more interesting and would like to know how such a survey compares to the wii u.

All looking positive. It has been said before that these ports/remasters etc are good as it fills up the schedule. I agree, and also provides people with the opportunity to enjoy the games.

There is no excuse for a sparse schedule anyway. The Wii U had been on life support for a couple of years now so Nintendo has had plenty of time.

I was expecting around £200 so that's promising. I've reserved £300 for launch so hopefully that should get me bigger storage space and 2-3 games :)

The Gameseek price and release date back up rumours we've heard about already so it all bodes well for a March 17th release.

I'm shocked (but delighted) to see this going for pre-order at less than £200. Bare in mind that website also offers a pre-order price guarantee this all bodes very nicely for a fantastic starting price.